Stapp on New Creed Record

A place for all Creed discussion.
Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Stapp on New Creed Record

Post by Arctic »

My bad, I just don't get how anyone could be on an AB board but think Creed is so much better.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

what? So you mean this board is strictly for people who think Alter Bridge is better than everything else? Your opinions just lost any merit for me..
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

Finaldecision
White Knuckled

Post by Finaldecision »

That whole discussion which band is better is completely pointless.

In fact it's one of the reasons we have so much hate in this forum. It leads to the existence of two camps, one of AB fans and one for Creed fans.

I love both bands.

(This was meant as a general observation. Please don't take it personal)

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Eh, I'll tone down the argumentative shit, don't really want to start a bunch of drama. I love Creed too, just don't think they hold a candle to AB.

Finaldecision
White Knuckled

Post by Finaldecision »

Arctic wrote:Eh, I'll tone down the argumentative shit, don't really want to start a bunch of drama. I love Creed too, just don't think they hold a candle to AB.
But that's your personal taste. No problem with that.

The main difference between both bands is still the singer. For me Stapp and Myles have a very different kind of voice, so I can appreciate both of them. And I can relate to Stapp's lyrics a little bit more than to Myles'.

For me there's no point in arguing which band is better. If the music of one of them would be banned and deleted forevermore, I would be sad. If any Lana Del Rey record would be deleted, well I wouldn't care :D
You get the point?

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Yeah, I get it. About the lyrics, though, I feel like a lot of Creed might have been Tremonti. Stapps new stuff is so much different lyrically. I think Tremonti took the majority of the lyric writing talent with him to Alter Bridge. ODR especially is very Creed heavy, lyrically.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Arctic wrote:Yeah, I get it. About the lyrics, though, I feel like a lot of Creed might have been Tremonti. Stapps new stuff is so much different lyrically. I think Tremonti took the majority of the lyric writing talent with him to Alter Bridge. ODR especially is very Creed heavy, lyrically.
I find it funny you state that. So all that hate towards Creed's lyrics being christian was to be directed towards Tremonti? and you know whats even more funny? Take out as many interviews from back in the day, you'll always find Tremonti, or flip or Brian state that Stapp wrote majority of the lyrics. you know why its hard to believe when Stapp is constantly being thrown under the bus these days? cuz these people have changed their statements with time.

Finaldecision
White Knuckled

Post by Finaldecision »

Arctic wrote:Yeah, I get it. About the lyrics, though, I feel like a lot of Creed might have been Tremonti. Stapps new stuff is so much different lyrically. I think Tremonti took the majority of the lyric writing talent with him to Alter Bridge. ODR especially is very Creed heavy, lyrically.
I've been wondering about this as well. Remember that guy that claimed Stapp stole his lyrics :lol

Nonetheless what would be the point of Tremonti writing lyrics like MOP, Unforgiven or In America with so much Christian imagery? Doesn't that suit much more to Stapp's approach on lyrics?
Who ever wrote them, did a very good job. Some of the lyrics are up there with U2 or Pearl Jam in terms of quality.

There are still some Christian references on ODR: "crown of thorns" in Find The Real or a ton of imagery on Watch Your Words.
Very interesting stuff. ODR definitely has some strong lyrics for sure. And even The Great Divide rarely sounded like typical Creed lyrics. That puzzles me since the albums were released.

Finaldecision
White Knuckled

Post by Finaldecision »

Them Bones wrote:
I find it funny you state that. So all that hate towards Creed's lyrics being christian was to be directed towards Tremonti? and you know whats even more funny? Take out as many interviews from back in the day, you'll always find Tremonti, or flip or Brian state that Stapp wrote majority of the lyrics. you know why its hard to believe when Stapp is constantly being thrown under the bus these days? cuz these people have changed their statements with time.
Well, I still believe Stapp wrote most of these lyrics. Still I wonder why he rarely wrote any lyrics as good as Weathered (the song) for over 10 years now. Of course there are some exceptions which are pretty decent. A Thousand Faces, Overcome, Justify, Dying To Live for example.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Finaldecision wrote:
Them Bones wrote:
Well, I still believe Stapp wrote most of these lyrics. Still I wonder why he rarely wrote any lyrics as good as Weathered (the song) for over 10 years now. Of course there are some exceptions which are pretty decent. A Thousand Faces, Overcome, Justify, Dying To Live for example.

What I feel about this is simple. Inspiration does not come everytime, depends upon how and what your mental state is. Writing music, and playing it does not create magic all the time. For me, Tremonti has never written a better song lyrically than Torn, so what happened? Its experiences and all of that. You can't force things out of you. What Stapp said about The Great Divide was that he din't even bother with finishing the songs, he was so uninspired beaten up, but I do like the lyrics to Justify on that album.

Finaldecision
White Knuckled

Post by Finaldecision »

Them Bones wrote:For me, Tremonti has never written a better song lyrically than Torn, so what happened? Its experiences and all of that. You can't force things out of you.
Shed My Skin.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

facelessman07 wrote:Opinions are like assholes.
They're all full of shit?
For all of the hope that it brings...

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Finaldecision wrote:
Them Bones wrote:For me, Tremonti has never written a better song lyrically than Torn, so what happened? Its experiences and all of that. You can't force things out of you.
Shed My Skin.
Yep, and that. Almost forgot about that one. Killer song and killer lyrics, I still kinda prefer Torn though, even lyrically. Can't believe Shed My Skin was not gonna make it onto the album.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

^Holy cow really? The lyric on that song pretty much epitomises what Alter Bridge was all about at that point. It not being there would be all kinds of wrong.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Yep, Tremonti admitted in one of the interviews that he personally wasn't a huge fan of the song but was blown away by the fan response.

Finaldecision
White Knuckled

Post by Finaldecision »

Ubik wrote:^Holy cow really? The lyric on that song pretty much epitomises what Alter Bridge was all about at that point. It not being there would be all kinds of wrong.
In an interview with a German guitar magazine he stated that Shed My Skin was not about Creed times. In fact it is about the time when he went from Detroit to Florida and was all on his own, without friends or family.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I remember him not liking shed my skin but really liking down to my last. So much that he wanted to release it as a single, but the label thought it was too creed sounding. It was either that, or the other way around with Mark thinking that. Long time has passed and a lot of progression has been made for sure

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

They thought it was too Creed sounding so they released an even more Creed sounding song. Geniuses.

Finaldecision
White Knuckled

Post by Finaldecision »

AB23 wrote:, but the label thought it was too creed sounding.
WTF Wind-Up. At first they don't want them to release Down To My Last as a single because it sounds too Creed-like, but then they stop promoting AB because they're not creedy enough :facepalm

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

It was either that or Mark thought it was too creed sounding. But I'm positive it was one of the two