The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

A place for all Creed discussion.
chtimixeur
On The Rail

Re: The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

Post by chtimixeur »

Here's a new interview from last month:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ge ... _odds.html
When asked, "Are you still the lead singer of Creed or is that now something that you can move away from?", Stapp replied (transcribed by UG):

"I am still the lead singer of Creed, and will always be the lead singer of Creed. If Creed puts out a record or goes on tour, with agreements we made years ago in our 20s, there can never be another guitar player or another singer, if the band is to have the name Creed.

"And so Creed can never be Creed without [guitarist] Mark Tremonti and Scott Stapp, and that's why it's always funny when I see interviews and articles where they're like, 'former Creed lead singer' - I can never be the former Creed lead singer.

"If there's anything to be done with Creed moving forward, it has to be with me and it has to be with Mark, and I love Scott [Phillips, drums] and Brian [Marshall, bass] too, and unless there are health issues, I would definitely want them involved as well and it to be the original members.

"So who knows, even though I'm focused on my solo career, I love those guys and we have a positive relationship at this point in our lives, and who knows what the future holds with that? But right now, I am focused on my solo career and what the future holds in that."
I saw that comment under the article:
Mark probably formed Tremonti so he'd have an excuse not to do Creed when Myles is busy with Slash. 'Sorry Scott, I'm all booked up, maybe next year, sure...'
That's actually exactly what's been happening since 2012. EVery time Mark is asked about Creed, he basically says he's open to the possibility of a new tour, but he has no time to do it.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Im glad they have that understanding. would not like a GNR situation.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Post by Devil Inside You »

There is absolutely no way Creed could ever be Creed without Stapp or Mark. Mark's tone is extremely unique and his songwriting on a musical and lyrical level is just leagues above other Post Grunge bands. As for Stapp he is what people think of when they think of Creed. For better or worse, he will always be the face of that band. No disrespect to Brian or Flip but if Mark ever wanted Creed back, and for whatever reason they could not commit to it, I could see Eric on bass and Garrett or Dango on drums. Mark and Stapp are the essence of Creed.

I couldn't even imagine what Creed would be without those two. Who would replace Stapp? Brett Hestla? As for Mark you'd need two guitarists to come close to capturing that magic. Someone who can handle solid songwriting and someone capable of churning out metal riffs. Stapp's Creed would have to be a five piece with Carl Bell and Yiannis.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

By the way, in this very good interview, Stapp says he intends to record a new solo album in early 2021 and that he already has a lot of material.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Pretty good interview. Creed for me has to be these 4 guys, one missing member, and it will lose a considerable chunk of its music. Mark, Stapp, Brian and Flip, as a quartet work. Brian not being on weathered was a huge deal for me as a fan and a listener when it came out. I love the album, but Brian's bass was clearly missing on it, and it would have taken the songs to another level imo. Yeah Stapp and Mark wrote the songs, but Brian and Flip completed them by recording their parts regardless of how much they had to a say in composition. Again, I just hope one day these dudes can bring back that lost charm again.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

chtimixeur wrote:By the way, in this very good interview, Stapp says he intends to record a new solo album in early 2021 and that he already has a lot of material.
he said he had some b-sides from the space between the shadows as well

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

I would like to hear some b-sides from Space Between the Shadows, it was a solid album. I hope the next album follows this path.

In regards to Creed, if they get back together, great. If they don't, that's fine. As long as Stapp stays happy and healthy.
Thanks Andy!

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

never heard this one before. He had good things to say about Brian when he left the band and had nothing negative to say about Fred Durst, he was about to say he liked the guy's music.

heres another one, am not sure if this was posted here, the energy levels in that voice are clearly very different. also, silence can be taken the wrong way, I believe.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

For those who haven't listened, in the first interview, Scott talks about 9/11 and almost shelving Don't Stop Dancing.
In the second one, he talks about his car accident, Mark's Mom's death and Creed's future.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Jeez, those dumb radio DJs trying to put Brian down. I didn't know he had a different band though. Where does he talk about DSD though?

EDIT: Oh, in the second one.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

My mistake, sorry.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

I never personally knew the guy, but as a fan since 99, i think Stapp has also been mis-judged a lot of times. You can't always be an angel when everyones trying to get a piece of you, some handle it better, some don't. But all the shit about him hating on brian or turning members against each other seems to be just misunderstanding all around. For the then 4th Creed album it was stapp's idea to approach brian again and resolve all the issues, but well, the whole band itself fell apart.

Also, I promised this someone I got in touch with , who was pretty close to the band once, that I wouldn't share this information. Am sorry, but someone will have to, maybe he'll never share any more info with me ever again. I won't name this someone , it was a brief exchange of messages and he told me a couple of disturbing things about another soul who was very close to the band( a nice guy who had a hard life). I asked him if it were true that there were other people trying to get closer to the band and trying to break them apart and he confirmed that thats how it seemed.Anyways, he ended up saying this about what went wrong( Sorry man) :

too much jealousy on all sides, everyone thought the success was their’s but it wasn’t, it was every one’s.

I do believe it was all a massive mis-understanding between the guys cuz the pressures were heightened and sother peeps pro'ly tried to take advantage . Stapp might have vented his frustrations out, Stapp might have abused all the vices and what not and lost his brain cells, but since day one you can tell that he loved mark, flip and brian without a doubt.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Its crazy, Stapp had a live session today that I just watched, and during the discussion about who's got my back, Stapp just confirmed what the guy I exchanged messages with did. People around the band entered and created wedges apparently. And maybe thats what happened. its strange I make this post and Stapp had what he had to say today.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Is that what may have led him to get fucked up and ruin that Chicago show? It's crazy to think that this Minneapolis interview was done in November 2002 and 6 weeks after that they were basically done. Especially in the context of that last question about how he would see Creed's future in 10-20 years time.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

I might be reading too much into it, but Stapp does sound distracted(possibly cuz...) and sad in that 2002 interview.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

That's what I thought as well when I was listening to it. You might say that that's because of the amount of touring, especially when he does that 'I hope we're not gonna start with Bullets tonight' remark. I suppose that a lot of people must have had their own bag in the success of a band that sold 20 million records.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Them Bones wrote:Its crazy, Stapp had a live session today that I just watched, and during the discussion about who's got my back, Stapp just confirmed what the guy I exchanged messages with did. People around the band entered and created wedges apparently. And maybe thats what happened. its strange I make this post and Stapp had what he had to say today.
was it recorded, the live session you watched? link?

Also, these videos made me go back and listen to don't stop dancing. great song. compare his vocal quality in those videos and you can tell he had suffered some damage

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Its there on stapp's facebook page I think. He also said he might revisit the songs from between lust and love.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Them Bones wrote:heres another one, am not sure if this was posted here, the energy levels in that voice are clearly very different.
Them Bones wrote:I might be reading too much into it, but Stapp does sound distracted(possibly cuz...)
Listening to those interviews back to back clearly shows something was different. He's talking way slower, and it's probably because of the painkillers he had been taking since his car accident in April of 2002.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Yeah, its not just a tired voice, I sense a different vibe in his voice, a different confidence , like he is distracted in his thoughts. Stapp's interviews prior to that were always very crisp and full of confidence. You can tell things within the band aren't right. But well, the truth is that there were jealousies on all sides, the guys within the band were hating on each other based on things that did not exist. after my brief chat with the guy, I can almost imagine some guys going and whispering into Mark's ears... "look, you are the main song writer, yet your vocalist gets the attention, while you don't, look he takes all the damn credit, this that..." I remember hearing shit like Scott's monitors were taken away so he would stop putting his foot on them like he used to cuz that was Mark's signature and scott was asked to not step on certain areas of the stage.. That is pure childish. I can totally imagine Stapp turning into a paranoid shell cuz of the way people were behaving around him,apart from him being in a self destructive mode himself. Its easy to manipulate someone and fill their thoughts with shit when their state of mind is fragile. I requested this gentlemen to put out a tell all book someday, I think it'll be the clearest story we would get about the band.