The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

A place for all Creed discussion.
nagpo
On The Rail

Re: The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

Post by nagpo »

Crumbso wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:21 am Haven't watched a Stapp performance for a long time but he seems to be in fairly strong form these days. That What If video has his voice with quite a bit of power.
his acoustic performances are less demanding i think. so he doesn't need to yell as much and he has more time to breathe. His new(ish) breathing method is something that has really helped with his performances since the PoL era where he couldn't breathe well and his voice was really deep because it was constantly blown out. You could really see this in creed 09. But in AoA and especially his latest record he's taken to new techniques where he catches more breath, has a greater vibrato, but has a thinner and higher voice.

Regardless, this is a battle to fight against how he damaged his voice in his younger days. He does all of this to keep his voice last. This is why he'll sing the mark parts in creed song instead of his. The mark parts are easier to sing. Another visible sign of his methods is where you'll see pictures of him wearing something like turtle necks. This , in my opinion, is mostly done to keep the vocal cords warm and relaxed.

He's doing everything he can naturally to keep his voice last in short terms bursts and long term (life). Some singers have to resort to surgery when their voice blows out. I don't think he's done that.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

nagpo wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:32 am
Crumbso wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:21 am Haven't watched a Stapp performance for a long time but he seems to be in fairly strong form these days. That What If video has his voice with quite a bit of power.
his acoustic performances are less demanding i think. so he doesn't need to yell as much and he has more time to breathe. His new(ish) breathing method is something that has really helped with his performances since the PoL era where he couldn't breathe well and his voice was really deep because it was constantly blown out. You could really see this in creed 09. But in AoA and especially his latest record he's taken to new techniques where he catches more breath, has a greater vibrato, but has a thinner and higher voice.

Regardless, this is a battle to fight against how he damaged his voice in his younger days. He does all of this to keep his voice last. This is why he'll sing the mark parts in creed song instead of his. The mark parts are easier to sing. Another visible sign of his methods is where you'll see pictures of him wearing something like turtle necks. This , in my opinion, is mostly done to keep the vocal cords warm and relaxed.

He's doing everything he can naturally to keep his voice last in short terms bursts and long term (life). Some singers have to resort to surgery when their voice blows out. I don't think he's done that.
If this is representative of his current performance standard then it seems he might have found a balance that works for him. He was never going to last till old age with his original Creed style (lots of chest voice distortion etc). I truly do hope that he's finding a way to exist at peace with himself and family.

nagpo
On The Rail

Re: The Nagpo Thread

Post by nagpo »

Crumbso wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:21 am

If this is representative of his current performance standard then it seems he might have found a balance that works for him. He was never going to last till old age with his original Creed style (lots of chest voice distortion etc). I truly do hope that he's finding a way to exist at peace with himself and family.
Yeah, when stapp started, i don't think he had any vocal training. So during all those creed years + all the drugs and alcohol, even he has admitted to screwing his voice up. it's most evident in full circle.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: The Nagpo Thread

Post by VigilantSteve »

nagpo wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:21 pm
Crumbso wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:21 am

Yeah, when stapp started, i don't think he had any vocal training. So during all those creed years + all the drugs and alcohol, even he has admitted to screwing his voice up. it's most evident in full circle.
Yeah, it was unfortunate how bad he sounded during the Full Circle tour. I was at their first concert back in Pittsburgh during their 2009 reunion tour, and remember being highly disappointed compared to when I had seen them during the Weathered tour. The Live DVD from this tour is unfortunately unlistenable because of it too.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

It was not just the 2009 tour.
He sounded bad too in 2010, and during the second half of the 2012 shows.
He finally started sounding good again in what? 2016? 2017? He's still not back to his 1997-2000 level and never will be, but at least, he sounds like his former self 90% of the time, which can't be said about a lot of 50 year old singers.

Even at his worst, he never lost his natural stage presence, and his ability to entertain and talk to a crowd. That's his gift, right here. He's still got rockstar charisma, and he doesn't have to force it.
I also love that he doesn't need a teleprompter and never messes lyrics.

It's a shame that Mark can't realize how great of a singer and frontman Stapp still is. His loss!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I’d need to find a video of the 2010 tour on YouTube but I saw Creed on one of the earlier shows in that run, and at the time I thought he sounded significantly better than 2009. I remember really enjoying that show, but sometimes when you’re there hearing everything at high volume levels, it can be more difficult to hear bum notes. I think I saw them like 5-6 shows into that tour though if my memory serves.

Feel like I remember the general consensus at the time was that he did better on the 2010 run than the 2009 one but I could be wrong. I think he sounded pretty good in the Human Clay and My Own Prison shows too, at least the early ones, but I didn’t go to one of those.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Oh, you're definitely right.
He sounded better in 2010.
And even better during the March 2012 shows.

If I had to sum things up, here's how I'd rate his voice through the years:
1997-2000 : 10/10
2001: 9/10
2009: 3/10
2010: 5/10
2012 (beginning of the tour): 7/10
2012 (latter shows): 6/10
2014: 6/10
2017 up to now: 8/10

Shortman45
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Shortman45 »

I really liked these acoustic shows. Good stuff and his voice sounds good. I’m interested to hear his recently recorded album. It can’t be far away now.

He also looks a lot healthier now. Apparently he took up running, so I imagine that helped with breathing.

I also remember vaguely that Mark shared the contact info for his/Myles’ vocal coach after 2009.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

The greatest feeling in the world is meeting someone you grew up your whole life enjoying and a fan of. If you ever have the chance to see Scott Stapp live, please go. He’s a very good performer and sounds fantastic live. Saw Creed in 09, and 2010. In comparison to last week….. Stapp wasn’t on his game then. He sounds fantastic live in 2022. Absolutely amazing.

Will never forget August 5th in Bristol, Tennessee.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Post by Devil Inside You »

I know you're joking but someone in this group wore a Tremonti shirt to a Stapp meet and greet around the Proof of Life tour. So early to mid 2014ish. Apparently Stapp's response was something along the lines of "Nice shirt man, Mark's a really important guy to me".

Stapp has his issues but I really doubt he'd shit on his bandmates in front of his fans. Especially when those guys are responsible for the songs he plays on his tours. As for the Myles thing, he's complimented Myles before.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

austin. wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:35 pm Met my hero in Bristol a few nights ago. Seemed spur of the moment the band wasn’t there. Maybe not. Wasn’t expecting an intimate acoustic show but had so much fun. Scott was very friendly and seemed to have a great time the whole show. Man he’s very polite.

Edit Scott said his guitar player was on another tour in Australia and he doesn’t blame him. Scott said he was privileged to be able to play weekend shows and spend the weekdays with his family. Also mentioned how he messed up a lot back in the day and it was his fault Creed fell apart. Literally said that. It was sad but he seemed so humble. Man. Living legend.

I feel bad for Stapp. Seemed he really wishes he could rekindle his relationship with Mark, but has seemingly accepted maybe it’s not gonna happen and this is the life he has now. Just glad to see him out there performing. Such a good frontman.

Congrats!!! Stapp was super cool when I met him too. I hope he starts releasing that newer album sooner than later. He's clearly living with a lot of regret. Whether its warranted or not is not really relevant anymore. He needs to keep moving onwards just as his former bandmates have. Wish he'd play more of his solo songs. Sublime would be a fine addtion to his acoustic tour.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

yeah sublime would be great. I've never seen stapp solo before simply because i don't want to hear creed songs played by other people. but if he did like 75% solo material i would actually go.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

nagpo wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:09 am yeah sublime would be great. I've never seen stapp solo before simply because i don't want to hear creed songs played by other people. but if he did like 75% solo material i would actually go.
The problem is Stapp's demographic. I really doubt Stapp has no pride for his solo work but he's basically surrendered to the fact that his fanbase just wants Creed hits. Maybe his crowds have gotten better since 2014 just doing that. But after Proof of Life came out he played almost every song off that album live.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Man i really liked Stapp's voice in his prime especially. Torn blew me away the first time I heard that song. Also, I really liked the singing on Are you Ready? and Is This the End?.

Honestly tho that singing style sounds great, but its not necessarily sustainable live. Best to back off a bit during live performances. But I digress. Either way I really liked his voice in its prime.

And yeah Creed had a unique guitar tone that had soul. No offense, but the guitar tone of AB just sounds like any other rock band's guitar tone.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

We’ve met Hetfield, Paul Stanley, Aaron Lewis of Staind many of times, Myles (named my only child Myles with a Y) after Myles Kennedy, Mark Tremonti (very kind man), and now Scott Stapp.

Stapp is the greatest frontman we have ever seen. If you ever have the chance, please go see him. He’s insanely good in 2022. What an experience. Hope he comes back to East Tennessee or somehow reunites with Creed one day. This guy is awesome!!!

Devil Inside You
Isolated

How was Aaron Lewis? Everything I've seen about him makes him come off as the most insufferable asshole imaginable. I almost hate Staind now cause of all the crap that comes out of his mouth. Makes me realize that its what Stapp seems like to people who hate Stapp.

fudish123
Bought The CDs

Post by fudish123 »

Hello everyone, I've found this thread and I want to discuss, of course... Scott Stapp. Most specificaly, his best album (source: my opinion based on the following videos), which never saw the light of the day, I speak of Somewhere in the Middle of Lust and Love. Line which is part of the song "Crazy", you can hear some in studio previews in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuQfThNfLEw]

Full documentary:

https://vimeo.com/3190636

And live in bad quality here, 2008 (incomplete, but I swear the ending was the "I care no more anymore...buried in your memory" part of Overcome, I just can't find it anymore):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xaM1VHpfWE

Also, there was an earlier version of A Prayer For Sunrise, which was called When There's Nothing Left To Do back them.

So, which songs do we know? Well, there's some previews Scott showed in a livestream back in 2010 I guess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePrDsxxxlhM

El Diablo (Original Sin during live gigs)
Who I am (which made to Proof of Life)
Crazy (from the earlier preview and live video)
Criminal (self released thru his wordpress and it's on youtube)
Somber (same as above)
Waiting For Love (unreleased)
When There's Nothing Left To Do (rearranged and possibily re recorded to be A Prayer For Sunrise)
(I couldn't understand if he named this song or if he just spoke on top of it blasting his stereo)
On This Side
Song Of Empathy
(Some acoustic version of Criminal?)

11 tracks and got 10 more, he wanted it to be a double album, with both sides separated, Lust and Love. Cool Concept, sounded superb in my head (considering the horrible method of playing the songs Scott chose, I think the songs sounded good, raw, but again, may be his stereo blasting thru a cheap mic)

Of the unreleased songs, we got El Diablo/Original Sin live in 2008:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRjztBh_hj8

And earlier versions of Criminal and Who I Am:

Criminal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-SIyja0F3I

Who I Am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhqttmcjqwA

And I think we've seen at least 1 song off the Love side, Crazy In Love. This time the recording is somewhat decent IMO and a rare treat, Scott Playing guitar live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FodP0s4IaGA

So yeah, I think this album would rock. Either that or I'm deceiving myself for putting too much hype on a shitty recording of 30s previews. What do you guys think of this unreleased album? I think it would be better than Proof of Life. I liked it, but it was just it, didn't blow me away as I was expecting for another type of sound. POL sounded way too overproduced (I'm no expert on mastering, recording and stuff here, so feel free to correct me).

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

thanks for those links. A lot of those songs are actually really good and I wish he would release them. Of course, he did re-purpose some of them for future songs the most obvious being a few select lines from crazy being in overcome. And Somber itself becoming an AoA song (a worse version imo).

I don't think it's likely we'll see these songs though because I feel stapp is someone who likes to write and release music that's new to him because he can relate to it easier that way. Just my feeling. Because if he had a double album of sorts he was sitting on, he could've released it at any time from 12-19 and 20-22 whenever there was a drought in his releases. For example, it's been a while since the last record, he could easily use these songs and quickly put out a record. But I think he's writing new music for that record. it's just his process imo.

Maybe when he gets older and he's partially retired, he'll release some of these recordings for some money.

fudish123
Bought The CDs

Post by fudish123 »

nagpo wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:24 am thanks for those links. A lot of those songs are actually really good and I wish he would release them. Of course, he did re-purpose some of them for future songs the most obvious being a few select lines from crazy being in overcome. And Somber itself becoming an AoA song (a worse version imo).

I don't think it's likely we'll see these songs though because I feel stapp is someone who likes to write and release music that's new to him because he can relate to it easier that way. Just my feeling. Because if he had a double album of sorts he was sitting on, he could've released it at any time from 12-19 and 20-22 whenever there was a drought in his releases. For example, it's been a while since the last record, he could easily use these songs and quickly put out a record. But I think he's writing new music for that record. it's just his process imo.

Maybe when he gets older and he's partially retired, he'll release some of these recordings for some money.
I still think his original version of Somber sounds better than AoA, too. I'm still kinda hopeful, lines of Bread of Shame were written at the same time as Relearn Love, if my memory serves me right (source: his book). Other than that, I think he can use the instrumental and write more stuff on top of it, like Crazy which sounds really good. All the songs from this album which got some release were in the very least, very good. Criminal is dark, heavy and mellow. Somber is dark, somewhat cozy if you ask me and damn, what a beautiful solo. A Prayer For Sunrise sounded more acoustic(ish) in the release but still, very good. Who I Am is a big rocker, would be easily a show opener.

Scott mentioned filing this album due to Creed's Full Circle reunion. That chapter in his book is very bitter cuz he basically had everything ready and he felt abandoned by the record company and Mark, Flip, Brian. He also at that time didn't even like to bring up Alter Bridge and Myles, addressing them as "their other band" and "the other guy".

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

fudish123 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:33 pm
nagpo wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:24 am thanks for those links. A lot of those songs are actually really good and I wish he would release them. Of course, he did re-purpose some of them for future songs the most obvious being a few select lines from crazy being in overcome. And Somber itself becoming an AoA song (a worse version imo).

I still think his original version of Somber sounds better than AoA, too. I'm still kinda hopeful, lines of Bread of Shame were written at the same time as Relearn Love, if my memory serves me right (source: his book). Other than that, I think he can use the instrumental and write more stuff on top of it, like Crazy which sounds really good. All the songs from this album which got some release were in the very least, very good. Criminal is dark, heavy and mellow. Somber is dark, somewhat cozy if you ask me and damn, what a beautiful solo. A Prayer For Sunrise sounded more acoustic(ish) in the release but still, very good. Who I Am is a big rocker, would be easily a show opener.

Scott mentioned filing this album due to Creed's Full Circle reunion. That chapter in his book is very bitter cuz he basically had everything ready and he felt abandoned by the record company and Mark, Flip, Brian. He also at that time didn't even like to bring up Alter Bridge and Myles, addressing them as "their other band" and "the other guy".
yeah during that time he wasn't well. another reason why he may not want to revisit that content