The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

A place for all Creed discussion.
chtimixeur
On The Rail

Re: The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

Post by chtimixeur »

http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/allabou ... format=R2R

Now, Napalm should promote Gone Too Soon ASAP, and this could actually be a game changer for Stapp's career.
Last edited by chtimixeur on Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

It's official. STAPP HAS WON!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

I don't think anything can be a game changer for Stapp's career.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Dimitris wrote:The vocals,the lyrics and the mixing sound very impressive.I will give a small review of the album song by song.

Heaven in me: this is a song from the 90s ,love the lyrics and the higher line. Great tune with extremely good mixing

Red Clouds: The diamond of the album , this sounds so hunting .from the mixing ,music lyrics ,this took me back to weathered era 2001. I’m so happy and optimistic to hear this epic tune in 2019.

Ready to Love: my second favorite ,the mixing again epic ,Scott singing like he use in Creed days which I adore,simple and effortless
I think you're right.
The mixing is really good on that album, and just like One Day Remains, the fact that the album is super loud and compressed is not that big of a deal since the guy who mixed it knew what he was doing.

I mean, come on, DR4 should sound awful, and yet, it doesn't.
DR4 -0.00 dB -5.31 dB 4:04 01 World I Used To Know.m4a
DR4 -0.00 dB -6.74 dB 4:07 02 Name.m4a
DR5 -0.00 dB -6.47 dB 3:18 03 Purpose For Pain.m4a
DR5 -0.00 dB -6.28 dB 4:33 04 Heaven In Me.m4a
DR4 -0.00 dB -5.12 dB 3:20 05 Survivor.m4a
DR4 -0.00 dB -7.10 dB 3:33 06 Wake Up Call.m4a
DR4 -0.00 dB -4.61 dB 3:08 07 Face Of The Sun.m4a
DR5 -0.00 dB -6.90 dB 5:20 08 Red Clouds.m4a
DR4 -0.00 dB -6.53 dB 3:18 09 Gone Too Soon.m4a
DR4 -0.00 dB -6.60 dB 3:27 10 Ready To Love.m4a
DR5 -0.00 dB -6.66 dB 3:24 11 Mary's Crying (Bonus Track).m4a
DR5 -0.00 dB -6.68 dB 3:37 12 Last Hallelujah (Bonus Track).m4a
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Number of files: 12
Official DR value: DR4
source: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/165021

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Sales numbers don't really matter anymore in 2019, but still, here they are.
#10 isn't so bad, but he's obviously going to chart much lower when they include the streaming numbers.

To put things in perspective:
Scott Stapp
The Great Divide: 94,000
Proof of Life: 9,447
The Space Between the Shadows: 5,786

Creed
Human Clay: 315,670
Weathered: 887,229
Full Circle: 109,749

Alter Bridge
One Day Remains: 95,373
Blackbird: 47,000
AB III: 28,000
Fortress: 30,000
The Last Hero: 26,955

Tremonti
All I Was: 12,000
Cauterize: 17,444
Dust: 14,000
A Dying Machine: 10,000

Myles Kennedy
Year of the Tiger: 9,000
Last edited by chtimixeur on Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

That's the first week only? I think that nowadays it also includes Spotify, Deezer plays etc. so he hasn't really sold 5k copies.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Those numbers are the actual physical sales. The official charts will be published next Wednesday and will include the streming numbers.

source: http://hitsdailydouble.com/building_album_chart

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Ahh, okay. But it's crazy to think that Weathered sold 887k in the first week and now you have albums sell 5-20k.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

We're living in a streaming world, and guess what, rock, hard rock and metal aren't popular with youngsters who use Spotify and Apple Music.
This era is all about hip-hop, and some artists manage to get into the top ten while only selling a couple of hundred copies a week.
Look at this article from early 2019 for instance:
https://hiphopdx.com/news/id.49938/titl ... 823-albums#
A guy got a #1 album with only 823 sales.
“Streaming took over sales,” A Boogie says with a huge smile. “Anybody in this era right now is always going to do more streaming than sales. What I look at like? F*** sales. We don’t even have any real CDs out.”
Charts have become completely irrelevant over the last couple of years, and it's become really difficult to evaluate which albums are actually popular week after week.

All I know is that Stapp's album kicks ass and his tour is doing well, and it's all that matters in the end.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

chtimixeur wrote:We're living in a streaming world, and guess what, rock, hard rock and metal aren't popular with youngsters who use Spotify and Apple Music.
This era is all about hip-hop, and some artists manage to get into the top ten while only selling a couple of hundred copies a week.
Look at this article from early 2019 for instance:
https://hiphopdx.com/news/id.49938/titl ... 823-albums#
A guy got a #1 album with only 823 sales.
“Streaming took over sales,” A Boogie says with a huge smile. “Anybody in this era right now is always going to do more streaming than sales. What I look at like? F*** sales. We don’t even have any real CDs out.”
Charts have become completely irrelevant over the last couple of years, and it's become really difficult to evaluate which albums are actually popular week after week.

All I know is that Stapp's album kicks ass and his tour is doing well, and it's all that matters in the end.
lmao mark tremonti's concept metal album sold twice as many physical copies and debuted 80 places higher on the billboard 200

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

this album failed because it sucks

the lyrics are repetitive, the music is beyond stale, and stapp continues to show no ability to reinvent (cool, another album about him battling his demons - no one cares anymore)

but there's not anything as embarrassing here as "jesus was a rockstar" so i guess that's a win

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Hey guys I'm back thanks to Jared Ward and the staff. I know you all missed me! I was locked out of my account so I couldn't give my thoughts on the album.

It's a good record. Way better than PoL and AoA. Here is my track by track review

01. World I Used To Know - This is a good song but I think it would've been better if it was written more in a 90's style. It sounds like a mish mash of 90's and modern.
02. Name - We've heard this one already and it's one of the best on the album
03. Purpose For Pain - This is a solid rock song. A decent radio track.
04. Heaven In Me - I love this song. The chorus is great and so are the lyrics
05. Survivor - At first I didn't really 'get' this song but now I do and I really like it
06. Wake Up Call - I don't like this song at all. I always skip it. It isn't a rock song. It seems like a pop song for people who don't even know who stapp is
07. Face Of The Sun - Another fun rock song
08. Red Clouds - Perhaps my favorite song on the record. Sound like a mix of creed with modern synth stuff.
09. Gone Too Soon - This could be the best on the record. Catchy and meaningful. Good vocals.
10. Ready To Love - A decent love song with good vocals. I don't personally relate to it
11. Last Hallelujah (bonus track) - I like this one as well
12. Mary Crying (bonus track) - It's catchy but I'm not religious. I like the music

This record is a 9/10! Obviously I loved it and I have it stuck in my head all the time. I really relate to a lot of the tracks - his lyrics are way better than they have been in years. And so is his voice. His best record since Full Circle.

One issue with the record: The sound or mixing, whatever, is awful. It just sounds like a lot of noise is covering is filtered over the instruments. I can't hears guitars clearly - they seem drowned out. I can hear drums and stapp well, but the guitars during his singing is hard to hear and pinpoint. This is my biggest problem with the cd.

I like this cd better than TLH and also tremonti's solo works. Stapp is back!

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Post by Devil Inside You »

Great review Nagpo. Awesome breakdown. I'll post my review later, but I had a question in regards to the writing process for the album. When I met Stapp and Yiannis, Yiannis told me that he "wrote on about half the album" but he's not listed anywhere on the writing credits. Considering Yiannis is pretty fluent in English, and he's mentioned writing with Stapp before, I don't see how he could have misinterpreted my question. So does anyone have any idea why he might have said this in spite of the credits stating otherwise?

DISCLAIMER: I'm not mad or bothered by it, I'm just curious cause I legitimately wanted new material with Yiannis and Stapp as opposed to Fredericksen, Maloy, Stevens etc

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Devil Inside You wrote:Great review Nagpo. Awesome breakdown. I'll post my review later, but I had a question in regards to the writing process for the album. When I met Stapp and Yiannis, Yiannis told me that he "wrote on about half the album" but he's not listed anywhere on the writing credits. Considering Yiannis is pretty fluent in English, and he's mentioned writing with Stapp before, I don't see how he could have misinterpreted my question. So does anyone have any idea why he might have said this in spite of the credits stating otherwise?

DISCLAIMER: I'm not mad or bothered by it, I'm just curious cause I legitimately wanted new material with Yiannis and Stapp as opposed to Fredericksen, Maloy, Stevens etc
Thanks

Yeah I don't think any of these songs were the ones yiannis wrote. Stapp probably decided to go with the guys on the current record. Maybe he thought the songs were better or something. I'd like to hear the songs myself. It seems like the writers for this record were the same as the ones who produced it. So maybe they just had more experience and talent. Maybe stapp was like their 'project'.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Post by Devil Inside You »

Ok, third time listening to it in full. Have a pretty solid review at this point.

Firstly, I'd like to recognize Zac Maloy, Scott Stevens and Marti Fredericksen(?). When I heard they were going to be playing another role in the songwriting process for this album, I assumed the worst and I'm proud to say they subverted my expectations. Traditionally the role of a songwriter is to compose songs with the highest susceptibility to commercial performance, and that's not the case here. I really believe these guys wanted to make an album that reflects the artistic merits of Stapp, and they absolutely succeed for the most part. With 12 tracks, The Space Between the Shadows can easily be broken up into thirds. The best of this trio is easily in the slower songs where Stapp has the most control over his voice.

Name, Heaven in Me, Ready to Love and Last Hallelujah are as good as anything he's ever done in Creed. I just want to briefly say how disappointed I am that he wasted Somber on Art of Anarchy because it could easily stand alongside these other four tracks, and enhance the album. Ready to Love, wow man. I don't think Stapp ever showed that much vocal range even in Creed. Easily the best track on the album and probably some of Stapp's most self aware lyrics ever. I know he's been referencing Chris Cornell a lot, and I know this is a big statement, but I'm not apprehensive when I say these four songs are what I'd imagine Chris Cornell would write if he ever explored post Grunge (as a solo artist). Stapp really hit it out of the park with these tracks, and I love them very much.

World I Used to Know, Purpose for Pain, Survivor and Red Clouds make up the hard rock portion of the album. These are good songs. Very paint by numbers run of the mill rock tracks that we've seen from Stapp before (Overcome, Slow Suicide, The Madness etc). I think its interesting that the one song on the album to be written solely between Stapp and a guitarist in Purpose for Pain sounds interchangeable with the other three songs I mentioned. It stood out to me considering I'm always championing for Stapp to make another album between just him and a guitarist to tap into that singer/musician chemistry he excels in. Red Clouds reminds me greatly of Full Circle (album not song) and I mean that in a positive way. Its a very good song and really leaves me wondering what that album could have been had Stapp's voice been what it is on this album.

Lastly we have the "safe tracks".......Wake Up Call, Face of the Sun, Gone Too Soon and Mary's Crying are not bad songs but I don't think they reach the same quality of the 8 others I've mentioned. Wake Up Call is actually the most interesting of these four because it sounds like Stapp going Lifehouse. However, I also think its the worst song on the album, and incredibly corny with the child vocals, which is an issue I did NOT have with Don't Stop Dancing. Face of the Sun has a great chorus but the guitar sounds incredibly dorky to me, and very 80s dad rock. Mary's Crying reminded me of Beautiful Cage, and Gone Too Soon has a nice message but the U2 vibes get on my nerves much in the same way the dad rock guitar does on Face of the Sun. I guess you can say Gone Too Soon is the mom rock counter to Face of the Sun's dad rock.

I really don't want to say this album is better than Proof of Life. Primarily because I actually have a great deal of sentimental attachment to Proof of Life, given it was released my Freshman year of college, and was the soundtrack to the one period of my life I would absolutely live on loop if I could. However, The Space Between the Shadows shows how good Stapp can be as an artist, and broadens his sound outside of Creed and/or his Post Grunge solo material. I think this album can be best summed up as a step in the right direction. While I consider it superior to Full Circle, Proof of Life and The Madness, it still doesn't quite reach My Own Prison, Human Clay, Weathered or The Great Divide for me. Overall, I think if Stapp is really going to tap into the energy and vibe of those four albums again, he needs to recapture that spirit. I hope for his next record he leaves behind the songwriters (or diminishes their input) and either builds chemistry with his solo band (much like Scott Weiland and The Wildabouts) or finds a talented guitarist and songwriter to bounce creative ideas off of. Carl Bell of Fuel has a chemistry with Brett Scallions which was near identical to the one Tremonti had with Stapp, and I think Stapp and Bell could easily make amazing music together.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

@Devil Inside You: Great review. I'm just surprised you're throwing Red Clouds into the "run of the mill rock tracks". To me, it's a quite unique song in his catalogue, and it doesn't sound formulaic whatsoever.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Devil Inside You wrote:
1. Name, Heaven in Me, Ready to Love and Last Hallelujah are as good as anything he's ever done in Creed. 2. I just want to briefly say how disappointed I am that he wasted Somber on Art of Anarchy because it could easily stand alongside these other four tracks, and enhance the album. Ready to Love, wow man. I don't think Stapp ever showed that much vocal range even in Creed. Easily the best track on the album and probably some of Stapp's most self aware lyrics ever. I know he's been referencing Chris Cornell a lot, and I know this is a big statement, but I'm not apprehensive when I say these four songs are what I'd imagine Chris Cornell would write if he ever explored post Grunge (as a solo artist). Stapp really hit it out of the park with these tracks, and I love them very much.

World I Used to Know, Purpose for Pain, Survivor and 3. Red Clouds make up the hard rock portion of the album. These are good songs. Very paint by numbers run of the mill rock tracks

4. I hope for his next record he leaves behind the songwriters (or diminishes their input) and either builds chemistry with his solo band (much like Scott Weiland and The Wildabouts) or finds a talented guitarist and songwriter to bounce creative ideas off of. Carl Bell of Fuel has a chemistry with Brett Scallions which was near identical to the one Tremonti had with Stapp, and I think Stapp and Bell could easily make amazing music together.
Good review! Some points :

1.I don't think Ready to love is as good as anything Creed has done. It's just a love song to his wife. I think I might start skipping this one too just because it's so personal to him, i can't really relate to it in my life.

2. I agree maybe somber would've been a better match for this record. AoA butchered that song. I'm glad I still have the original version.

3. I don't think Red Clouds is run of the mill for stapp at least. The drums throughout the song and the synth in the bridge are new to his sound. The groove and moodiness is of the guitar is something not found on his previous records

4. As much as I want stapp with creed and carl with brett on fuel, I do think the two of them could make a GREAT album. I love both creed and fuel. I think they might get a long too since they are both christian. I think bell makes christian music now too. Good suggestion.

:headbang

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

damn, red clouds reminds me of some Donkey Kong country music. good shit

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Looks like Stapp's sex tape with Kid Rock resurfaced again.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.