WTF Scott Stapp ???

A place for all Creed discussion.
jripper420

WTF Scott Stapp ???

Post by jripper420 »

I just heard Scott Stapps new song and it is god awful. What happened to that guy who wrote great lyrics and hooks in his songs. The Great Divide may not have been the greatest CD but at least it had some good music. After about a minute of listening to "Proof of Life" you'll think to yourself maybe it's better that Creed not damage their reputation with another album. Not only this but the single sounds auto tuned and honestly Stapp cannot sing anymore. It's almost like he freestyles then sings or at least tries to some lame chorus. As a lifelong Creed fan I am so frustrated but at the same time Alter Bridge is just a better band now and their new CD pretty much was awesome.

jripper420

Re: WTF Scott Stapp ???

Post by jripper420 »

The single Slow Suicide is what I was referring to on Proof of Life. Maybe there will be better songs but this one is pretty bad

nagpo
Burn It Down

Post by nagpo »

ok

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Despite being a bit overproduced, I actually thought the song was pretty good. :shrug

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Another Stapp thread? :lol

nagpo
Burn It Down

Post by nagpo »

I don't have a problem with stapp threads, but this thread seems like it could have gone in the sticky.

mastermyx
Bought The CDs

Post by mastermyx »

Another Stapp thread?
It can't be helped, where ever Stapp is, there is bound to be a Stapp Infection eventually.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Wow, that is bad. I tried to give it an unbiased listen (I mean I dont like Stapp as a person but he's a musician dammit) but jeez dude. Its time to tread some other musical waters

jripper420

Post by jripper420 »

What the heck happened to his writing ability and singing?? I swear everything I've heard from him over the past 5 years since Full Circle is atrocious. I mean this guy wrote some good tunes on the great divide, but this song sounds like poppy garbage. No good hook, no good lyrics, it's just flat and he sounds flat. That's what pissed me off about full circle was everything he wrote he shoved into a song and it's like cramming every word possible into a verse and it sounds horrible. Even on some of the bootlegs of new creed material, he sounds like he freestyles most of the song and when he sings he sounds like he's choking on his tongue. Talk about a guy who had it all and blew it. I am a big stapp fan but I'm really disappointed with how he's handled himself and not taking care of himself. He totally lost whatever gift he had. Also F Howard Benson. Guy made a mockery of Creeds reunion with Full Circle.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

He was much better in Human Clay and his older stuff. I don't really like his writing ability (even though some of them on full circle were enjoyable, but I dont know who specifically wrote said songs). He's simply not as good as a solo artist. This song isnt at least. I've listened to it over and over about 4 times and it doesnt even grow on you.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

@AB23 : the chorus does grow on you. Give it a couple of days, play it in your car, and you'll see it's quite catchy. At least, it's way better than the other previews I've heard on the audio review that was deleted a few days ago.

creed009
Loyal Follower

Post by creed009 »

Hmmm, I think the single is a great song, and I can't stop listening to it. But I guess it's not unusual to read criticism of Stapp in an Alter Bridge forum.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Well I just dont simply see how some people think THATS good music while a song like Cry of Achilles or Calm the Fire aren't... cuz they seem lightyears ahead of it to me. but to each its own

mastermyx
Bought The CDs

Post by mastermyx »

It's really like comparing apples to kiwis with COA or CTF compared to Stapp's single. Some people like hamburger more than steak even though steak should "technically" taste much better. Also pop oriented rock is always more simplistic and in your face catchy. If you look at Daughtry's first album the lyrics are nothing special , fairly riddled with cliches and it did very well. The Beatles songs were very simple for the most part and very poppy, so I don't see the song as being poppy as a bad thing. It worked for Daughtry.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

AB23 wrote:Well I just dont simply see how some people think THATS good music while a song like Cry of Achilles or Calm the Fire aren't... cuz they seem lightyears ahead of it to me. but to each its own

I don't think anyone is even comparing, but thats what you really have on your mind when you come here dont you? If comparisons were to be drawn, I'd kinda agree with you, It is generic, but it is not as bad either. Last I checked your top 5 bands include bands which are worse than this when it comes to being poppy commercial generic shit imo. The single is still bearable as compared to stuff like shinedown, linkin park, sevendust, 3 doors down and what not.

But yeah, the song is nothing special. It might do good on radio, for comparison, COA is way better than Slow Suicide, hope that made you scream like a little girl.

All in all, I think fans are disappointed so far cuz we do expect much more from Stapp even though he has not been doing great creativity wise in a long time. Stapp is capable of much more than Slow Suicide.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Shinedown and linkin park were absolutely positively not in my top 5 bands......

Edit: Or if they were that was a while ago and its not the case anymore. I know linkin park wasnt because I dont even like them. In fact, I'm pretty sure I make fun of them all the time. Sevendust is for sure though, but only the non screamos that I can actually make out what they're saying. If anyone thinks songs like Angels Son and Got a Feeling (what I like from them) are bad then Idk what they would like.

I don't think the song is good, but I didn't even make the thread so that shows that others dont either. Ive said MANY times I'm not biased against Creed or stapp, because I've repeatedly said I like Creed's old stuff. I just dont think this is very good at all. Says nothing about the rest of the album, but this song is good. FWIW, I say at least once a day I hate Cry a River. I say it so much they changed my rank name. So I mean I'm fair weathered. I like good music, no matter who makes it. I don't think this is very good though.

Longest, but most worthiest edit ever.

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

I hate Cry a River haters.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I hate people who can't speak proper english

Timotheus