New Stapp Album/Single

A place for all Creed discussion.
Dan Dando
On The Rail

Re: New Stapp Album/Single

Post by Dan Dando »

Just read a bonkers comment on a You-Tube video of 'Jesus Was A Rockstar'

"My stepdad showed me this song while we were driving in his F250 the other day. We we're just driving and rockin out like usual when suddenly his truck hit a pot hole and flipped twelve times. My stepdad became trapped in the wreckage but this song kept playing. As he was dying, he made me promise to never stop rockin to Scott Stapp and to screw all the haters, because when you think about it... Jesus loves haters, and so should you. I'm gonna go now and do my people good just like Scott Stapp, my stepdad and Jesus would want me to. Swag."

If that's all true then I'm a horrible person for laughing at it. Why would someone post that on You-Tube? I mean, it can't be true :lol

creed009
Loyal Follower

Post by creed009 »

Ryan wrote:Are the record labels really that daft? Wow.
At first glance they don't look like good choices, except for Only One. But if Youtube views and sales on Itunes have any bearing on how popular a song would be on the radio, the three singles listed that have yet to be released are #1, #3, #4 in Youtube views and #3, #5, and #6 in Itunes sales. So if you're judging popularity by looking at youtube views and Itunes sales, those would actually be good choices for singles, with the exception that they should also add Dying to Live as a single.

gonzo67
Brand New Start

Post by gonzo67 »

The more I listen to the new music, the better it sounds. While I like the song better than the video as I am more a see the band play/ concert /live videos kind of person I am looking forward to see Scott's music played live.

I 'm a lucky guy as the music I love keeps getting better - Creed, AB, Tremonti Project and Stapp.

It's all good!

:headbang

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Honestly I think The Great Divide is better. Has some decent tunes.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

Jesus Was A Rockstar has more views because of the song title. The title alone made me listen to it first because I was curious what it would sound like and about the lyrics. Take that curiosity away and it's a shit song.
Photobucket cash grab.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Dan Dando wrote:Just read a bonkers comment on a You-Tube video of 'Jesus Was A Rockstar'

"My stepdad showed me this song while we were driving in his F250 the other day. We we're just driving and rockin out like usual when suddenly his truck hit a pot hole and flipped twelve times. My stepdad became trapped in the wreckage but this song kept playing. As he was dying, he made me promise to never stop rockin to Scott Stapp and to screw all the haters, because when you think about it... Jesus loves haters, and so should you. I'm gonna go now and do my people good just like Scott Stapp, my stepdad and Jesus would want me to. Swag."

If that's all true then I'm a horrible person for laughing at it. Why would someone post that on You-Tube? I mean, it can't be true :lol
:lol

Funnily enough, I got a PM from AB23 on similar lines of how I must have been introduced to Creed by my step dad. I think thats just a troll, or is it some kind of a popular belief that Creed are introduced to you by your step dads? even if you don't have one? :headscratch
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

i think you missed the gist of my message there...

creed009
Loyal Follower

Post by creed009 »

Ryan wrote:Take that curiosity away and it's a shit song.
I disagree. I think the song as a nice groove to it and has good verses.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

creed009 wrote:
But you agree that the lyrics (if not the lyrics, the lyrical content) are poo... at least? :)

creed009
Loyal Follower

Post by creed009 »

Dan Dando wrote:
creed009 wrote:
But you agree that the lyrics are shit... at least? :)
I'm a Christian, so I don't have the problem with the lyrics that other people do. Although I see the point that people make about the background vocals being corny and excessive at times.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

creed009 wrote:
Dan Dando wrote:
creed009 wrote:
I'm a Christian, so I don't have the problem with the lyrics that other people do. Although I see the point that people make about the background vocals being corny and excessive at times.
Well that's fair, man. I suppose it is more subjective than usual with lyrics like that... as you're a christian... and I'm an atheist - but I'm glad that we agree on the background vocals.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Ryan wrote: Take that curiosity away and it's a shit song.

Thats how I feel about it too. Am just totally surprised about that song making it on to the album, but well, Stapp's career, his music, should do what he likes, I'll listen to it if I like it, or plenty of other music to listen to.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

creed009
Loyal Follower

Post by creed009 »

He might just be planning on releasing "Jesus was a Rockstar" to the Christian stations, because it could probably be a hit there. It doesn't seem likely that the Top 40 stations would play a song that explicitly Christian. They have in the past, but it's extremely rare. The only explicitly Christian song I remember being played on Top 40 stations is "I Can Only Imagine" by Mercy Me.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

creed009 wrote:
Dan Dando wrote:
creed009 wrote:
Yeah, the background vocals kill it for me, unfortunately. I do like the lyrical content overall though.

GazEd
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by GazEd »

I am a Christian and I hate hristian lyrics. It's like, you know, let the others decide for themselves, ok?

I find this video very good. I am really eaily impressed with that image of a saviour by the beloved woman.

On the other hand, althouh I do like this song a lot, the only moment that I find hillarious is that deep voice Stappy uses with eyes wide open. It sounded hillarious in my headphones, it is funnier now that I saw it.

Gotta love this effect, so wickedly funny
I saw lation
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013
Helsingin Jäähalli, Helsinki, 14 November 2019

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

GazEd wrote:I am a Christian and I hate Christian lyrics. It's like, you know, let the others decide for themselves, ok?
A lot of Christians use music as a form of praise though. I'm all for letting people choose their own path in life, but that shouldn't keep Christians from praising God through music. But I feel people should be free to write whatever they want to write in music religion aside. If I don't like the message they're sending, I just won't listen to it.

I know where you're coming from though. It's not like you disagree with the message, you probably just think it comes across as forcing your beliefs on others. I know there's other bands like RED and Skillet that tend to write songs that aren't quite as "blatantly" Christian, but at the end of the day it's the artist's choice.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

creed009
Loyal Follower

Post by creed009 »

Andy92 wrote:
GazEd wrote:I am a Christian and I hate Christian lyrics. It's like, you know, let the others decide for themselves, ok?
A lot of Christians use music as a form of praise though. I'm all for letting people choose their own path in life, but that shouldn't keep Christians from praising God through music. But I feel people should be free to write whatever they want to write in music religion aside. If I don't like the message they're sending, I just won't listen to it.

I know where you're coming from though. It's not like you disagree with the message, you probably just think it comes across as forcing your beliefs on others. I know there's other bands like RED and Skillet that tend to write songs that aren't quite as "blatantly" Christian, but at the end of the day it's the artist's choice.
I think the "blatant" Christian lyrics on that song come from Howard Benson convincing Stapp to be more "straight forward" in his lyrics and less metaphorical. Because in the past, some Creed songs referred to Jesus, but just not by name. Basically, Stapp went from writing lyrics like "his yoke is easy and his burden is light" to "Jesus was a rockstar."

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

creed009 wrote:I think the "blatant" Christian lyrics on that song come from Howard Benson convincing Stapp to be more "straight forward" in his lyrics and less metaphorical. Because in the past, some Creed songs referred to Jesus, but just not by name. Basically, Stapp went from writing lyrics like "his yoke is easy and his burden is light" to "Jesus was a rockstar."
This is a pretty good point. Faceless Man is one of my favorite songs lyrically. I'd say it's fair to assume Benson's advice wasn't the best thing for Scott with his lyrics.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

GazEd
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by GazEd »

Andy92 wrote:

Absolutely! Liking me some Red as well. But quite a difference: I like them for their music. While most of my fave bands I follow for t he lyrics in the first place.

It's like, you know, I often tend to compare my previous fave musician Ed Kowalczyk.

Back in the 90s his lyrics were full of metaphors and what not, they were so blindingly beautiful.
yeah I found god
and he was absolutely nothin' like me
he showed me up like some dime-store hooker
who was plain to see
I couldn't take it anymore so I went back to the sea
cuz' that's where fishes go
when fishes get the sense to flee

where you goin' now?
what's your plan?

yeah I found god
and he was absolutely just like me
he opened my mouth, looked down my throat
told me I was thirsty
he said, I been, I been, I been
been in this water all my life
never took the time to breathe, breathe,
BREATHE!

and what do we have now?

Holy Water Tears? Jeheeeeeeeeesus luv me babeeeeeeey child?

I always took Creed's lyrics as those not adressed to god, maybe that what made me love them even more...
I saw lation

GazEd
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by GazEd »

creed009 wrote:Stapp went from writing lyrics like "his yoke is easy and his burden is light" to "Jesus was a rockstar."
There. Nailed it.

But I like Stappy much more now. Honestly.
I saw lation