Revisiting Full Circle

A place for all Creed discussion.
Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Revisiting Full Circle

Post by Them Bones »

So.. I heard the album again today after years. I don't hink I've listened to it since 2010. I have to admit, I was surprised. Its not as bad as I once believed it to be. Wasn't comparing it to the previous records. Its nowhere close as good, but its not bad either. Some of the songs are actually great, and Bread Of Shame sounded massive. Am surprised this song hasn't been recognised that well. Overall, its not the best Creed record by a huge margin, but it definitely was a decent modern rock record. The songs do have variety, although often lacks Stapp's earlier strong voice, Tremonti's great tone and Brian's bass. Lyrics are good, not the best if compared to the band's earlier records, but then again, the band's marijuana and alcohol days are in the past(believe it or not, these do make you write down your thoughts amazingly sometimes.) Flip's drumming imo has the most variety through this album, I just love the drumming on Bread Of Shame and Full Circle.

All in all, a decent modern record, but definitely not making the Creed standards. Complex than the previous albums maybe, noisier maybe, but nowhere as beautiful.

Edit: I listened to the album while not being occupied by anything else. Was listening to the album and the lyrics stood out.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

nagpo
On The Rail

Re: Revisiting Full Circle

Post by nagpo »

Yeah Bread of Shame is my favorite song on that album

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

I listened to To whom It May Concern after listening to the entire Full Circle album, man..this song alone single handedly destroys the entire Full Circle album.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

Yeah, Full Circle has just been thrown to the side for me just like Matchbox Twentys new album.
Full Circle I don't even think of as Creed.
I listen to Overcome and A Thousand Faces every now and then....

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

I think Full Circle is awesome. Suddenly and Good fight are probably my favorites

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Them Bones wrote:it definitely was a decent modern rock record.
That's the problem.
Creed used to be GREAT.
"Decent" is not good enough when you're such a big band.
If you come back, you must do it properly, and have the same standards as you used to have in the past.
austin. wrote:Full Circle I don't even think of as Creed.
+1
For me, it's simply not the same band.
Stapp doesn't sound like Stapp.
Tremonti doesn't sound like Tremonti.
Brian can barely be heard.
It just doesn't sound like Creed, and in my mind, Creed has still only released 3 albums.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I really liked Full Circle when it was released and I still do now. It's not a brilliant album, but My Own Prison is their only good album from start to finish imo. I can't remember the last time I listened to the other 3 albums in their entirety. Human Clay has songs like With Arms Wide Open and Higher, which are horrible, and Weathered and Weathered only has about 4-5 decent songs. So for me, while there's a distinctive difference in sound, in terms of quality, Full Circle isn't that far off from their previous work.

There's a few bit of originality on Full Circle, they hadn't done songs like Bread of Shame or A Thousand Faces before.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

BSC wrote:I really liked Full Circle when it was released and I still do now. It's not a brilliant album, but My Own Prison is their only good album from start to finish imo. I can't remember the last time I listened to the other 3 albums in their entirety. Human Clay has songs like With Arms Wide Open and Higher, which are horrible, and Weathered and Weathered only has about 4-5 decent songs. So for me, while there's a distinctive difference in sound, in terms of quality, Full Circle isn't that far off from their previous work.

There's a few bit of originality on Full Circle, they hadn't done songs like Bread of Shame or A Thousand Faces before.
I agree with a lot of this. I had listened to Human Clay probably more times than any other record when Full Circle came out, and I thought Full Circle sounded pretty stinking good compared to their previous work. Maybe I don't hold Creed to this "greatness" level some members here do though. I always liked them, but they were just a typical grunge band lol. The thing that turned me onto the band the most when I found them was Scott's lyrics. Always thought the instrumental work was typical grunge.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by facelessman07 »

Full Circle wasn't good at all, except for Time, and the solo on Song You Sing

Just my opinion

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

On My Sleeve had some potential.
But songs like Bread of Shame, Fear or Good Fight should never have been released on a Creed album.
Overcome was a terrible choice for a first single.
I'll admit I was surprised Rain was not more succesful at the time, because frankly, I liked that song.

Overall, it's a decent album. I don't get bored when I listen to it. But the thing is I almost never come back to that album... It's just not very appealing, and I'm not sure it has much staying power over time, whereas MOP and HC are timeless albums, IMHO : I enjoy them just as much today as I did 10 years ago.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I always thought Overcome was a really good song. I remember being really impressed when it came out. The live version of the song kinda ruined the song for me though.

I'm going to give that record a listen tonight.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

chtimixeur wrote: Bread of Shame never have been released on a Creed album.
I feel like it's probably the most Creed like song on the album lyrically. Nothing about the album sounds like creed except for maybe a thousand faces, but the lyrics for bread of shame I feel are some of the best on the album.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

For what it is it's a pretty solid Rock album. I remember being floored listening to Bread of Shame for the first time.. very heavy and better than I expected (especially after listening to live versions). Different band? yes but I didn't expect Human Clay/Weathered 2.0 or the same ole Creed & I have no idea why anyone would.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

nagpo wrote:
chtimixeur wrote: Bread of Shame never have been released on a Creed album.
I feel like it's probably the most Creed like song on the album lyrically. Nothing about the album sounds like creed except for maybe a thousand faces, but the lyrics for bread of shame I feel are some of the best on the album.
Good point, but I'll admit I care about music first. I'll take a good song with crap lyrics over a generic song with good lyrics any day. That's pretty much why I'm afraid I'll hate Stapp's solo record. He can still write thoughtful lyrics, but without Tremonti on guitar, he sounds very generic (Somber, Criminal and all the demos he previewed did nothing for me).
I didn't expect Human Clay/Weathered 2.0 or the same ole Creed & I have no idea why anyone would.
Because most bands evolve, but changing your sound completely may aleniate your fanbase.
On Full Circle, the band :
- changed its sound tremendously (guitar tones, overall production)
- dropped its famous clean guitar intros
- included a couple of "fast" solos
- went from moody post-grunge to modern hard rock

And most importantly, Stapp sounded like a different singer, with a different "phrasing".
I understan when musicians need to evolve, but for a fan like me, there were far too many changes.
Plus, the songs were simply not as enjoyable and timeless as before, but I'll admit that's subjective.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

chtimixeur wrote: - went from moody post-grunge to modern hard rock
THIS! I miss that epic groove from Human Clay-era, songs like Beautiful, Say I or Never Die.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

AustinH22
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by AustinH22 »

I'm sorry you had to go through all that, OP

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

chtimixeur wrote:Stapp sounded like a different singer, with a different "phrasing".
That's because his voice was shot and my point was it was pretty obvious (at least to me) what kind of record we were going to get. Not to mention they had a short amount of time to write & record.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Not only was his voice shot, but if you listened closely, you hear some kind of a veil on his voice. It was very annoying, but the different phrasing was much more of an issue for me. Most of the time, it's like he had way too many lyrics for a song, and he tried to put them all in, even if it didn't benefit the song. IMHO, he should have done some trimming, and unfortunately, he still had this problem in 2012. The new Creed songs that were heard on soundcheck had the same kind of issue during the verses : too many words, and the impression that Stapp is "speaking in rhythm" instead of singing.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

Time and Thousand Faces are slightly above decent. But everything else is just Tremonti's leftover ideas (some good, some horrendous) that had no place being on a Creed record. I don't think they had any sincere intention of creating a new Creed record. They fulfilled their contractual obligation, nothing more nothing less.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

psycosquirrel789 wrote:Time and Thousand Faces are slightly above decent. But everything else is just Tremonti's leftover ideas (some good, some horrendous) that had no place being on a Creed record. I don't think they had any sincere intention of creating a new Creed record. They fulfilled their contractual obligation, nothing more nothing less.
I thought all of his horrendous left over stuff ended up on his solo album

lel