New Tension in the Band

A place for all Creed discussion.
jripper420

Re: New Tension in the Band

Post by jripper420 »

I mean no disrespect to Elvis or Benson. I like the direction he's taken with AB, but most of us would love to get these guys motivated again...The only songs worthy of radio play on "Full Circle. "Overcome", and "Thousand Faces" They we're probably the only songs worthy of being on a real "Creed" album. I think having a producer like a Rubin would really give them a different direction. Since they have been back I've seen them four times, with the best being the last show in NYC and I really thought they were finally getting back in tune with each other. They need someone to mediate and get them on the same page to push them to what they are so capable of. I think of all the cool Creed songs and I wonder why can't they still do this? I think Mark is one of the best guitarist out there but I'd love for him to drop this Million Dollar rig and plastic guitar effects production value and apply what he's learned and how he's improved with his classic guitar rig and tone. I know he developed a different sound to distinguish Alter Bridge from Crees but the sound just doesn't fit at times. Sometimes with Full Circle you feel like your listening to Alter Brige or Tremonti. Tremonti's solo effort would have gone platinum if he had other artist performing with him. What great music they had on the album was overshadowed by the vocals. He's got a decent voice and at times sounds cool, but then its hammered with voice distortion which makes him sound like an off key Ozzy at times...But the guitar work is sick and there are some guitar legend solos and riffs...Either way Creed needs a breath of fresh air in the worst way.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Rick Rubin is cool if you like the audio to clip all the way through the album. :lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

I'd rather them record the record on an iPhone themselves than have Elvis produce.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

It would still be a better album than Creed ever will make..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Dayviewer
Isolated

Post by Dayviewer »

At this point I would actually prefer new material from Creed than from AB to be honest.
Letting them focus on a more stripped down sound again, that song they did during the soundcheck The Devil Inside You actually sounded killer to me and I would love to hear that stuff again.

Kinda afraid Alter Bridge IV will just be the same ol' again later this year.
Formerly known as Benjami

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

AB23 wrote:lets face it, stapps a douche
Maybe, but recently, Mark has come across as an even bigger one.
He acts nice during the interviews, but it's because of him Creed is not recording anything.
Stapp, Brian & Flip all seem into it. They want Creed to be huge again. For whatever reason, Mark doesn't, and I've never heard him apologize to Stapp or take some blame for the Creed break-up.
1 example of Mark's fantastic ideas : he won't let Creed go to Europe because in his mind, they are AB and Tremonti markets. :facepalm
How stupid is that ?!!!
Ashlee wrote:I've never heard a poorly produced Rick Rubin album. I'm just saying.
:lol
Thanks for the laugh.
Rick Rubin is a TERRIBLE producer. He uses a guy called Vlado Meller who is probably one of the worst at his jobs.
It's because of incompetent guys like him that we have loudness war.
Ashlee wrote:It was still a #1 album. lol The material has to be there.
It was n°1 because Metallica was written on the front cover.
Most of the songs were too long, and the Metallica magic was definitely not there.
Timotheus wrote:And I think Death Magnetic mostly got screwed during the mastering.. I don't know if Rubin was responsible for that.
I haven't heard the album in ages though, so I've got no idea how the mixing was..
Here is your answer, from Ted jensen, aka the guy who did the mastering.
In this case the mixes were already brick walled before they arrived at my place. Suffice it to say I would never be pushed to overdrive things as far as they are here. Believe me I’m not proud to be associated with this one, and we can only hope that some good will come from this in some form of backlash against volume above all else
He even asked his name to be removed from the credits.
That says a lot, considering we're talking about Metallica, one of the biggest bands in the world...
They need someone to mediate and get them on the same page to push them to what they are so capable of. I think of all the cool Creed songs and I wonder why can't they still do this? I think Mark is one of the best guitarist out there but I'd love for him to drop this Million Dollar rig and plastic guitar effects production value and apply what he's learned and how he's improved with his classic guitar rig and tone. I know he developed a different sound to distinguish Alter Bridge from Crees but the sound just doesn't fit at times. Sometimes with Full Circle you feel like your listening to Alter Brige or Tremonti.
Amen !
Rick Rubin may be the guy to guide them through recording, but they would need to bring Kurzweg along (Rubin doesn't touch a knob in the studio : he has his own sound engineers for that).
As to Mark's sound and rig, we've all been saying that for years.
But it seems NO ONE in AB and Creed camp reads boards.
They all think Elvis is great and they will call haters anyone who says anything against him.
Quite frankly, I think I'm done with Alter Bridge. I loved them from 2004 to 2009, I still cared about them 1 or 2 years ago, but now ? I don't care, because I think they've peaked many years ago, and creatively, they're not as good as I had hoped they would be. IMHO, they've unfortunately become your formulatic average modern rock band with cliché lyrics and riffs. What a waste of talent...

Dayviewer
Isolated

Post by Dayviewer »

chtimixeur wrote:Quite frankly, I think I'm done with Alter Bridge. I loved them from 2004 to 2009, I still cared about them 1 or 2 years ago, but now ? I don't care, because I think they've peaked many years ago, and creatively, they're not as good as I had hoped they would be. IMHO, they've unfortunately become your formulatic average modern rock band with cliché lyrics and riffs. What a waste of talent...
You're not the only one here man, I moved on about a year or 2 ago as well. When AIW got released last year I felt Mark has by far reached his peak too.
And I'm sure there are more people on here who feel the same.
Formerly known as Benjami

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

chtimixeur wrote:
AB23 wrote:lets face it, stapps a douche
Maybe, but recently, Mark has come across as an even bigger one.
He acts nice during the interviews, but it's because of him Creed is not recording anything.
Stapp, Brian & Flip all seem into it. They want Creed to be huge again. For whatever reason, Mark doesn't, and I've never heard him apologize to Stapp or take some blame for the Creed break-up.
1 example of Mark's fantastic ideas : he won't let Creed go to Europe because in his mind, they are AB and Tremonti markets. :facepalm
How stupid is that ?!!!
Creed has no market in europe, as europeans hate Stapp.. especially the press (including radio) makes that very clear.. Alter bridge still feels the consequenses from being fromed out of Creed because of Stapp's reputation.. Stapp is "too american/over the top/douchery" for european market..
also it was stapp who always prevented creed to come to europe in the late 90s/ early 00s, as he wasnt able to stay away from home too long..
and you cant blame mark for having more fun doing his thing, with friends opposed to doing the thing with stapp.. it was good to see mark, flip, brian and erock having fun.. where stapp was nowhere to be found for the fans.. tells one enough.. creed travels in two buses for one reason only..i can go on and on, but i guess you stapp lovers just cant handle the truth, or dont want to face the truth..

but yeah.. if creed would tour europe.. of course i would see them.. as i am a fan.. just your one sided view along with a lot of false asumptions makes me cringe..
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

jripper420

Post by jripper420 »

I think the whole Elvis thing has more to do with the fact he's their buddy and for Mark to pick anyone else to produce would undoubtedly cause many problems, hence why when Kurzwegs name surfaced it bacame an issue of having the both of them involved to no producer at all. It's a load of crap and the same bs that dragged Creed down the first time minus the Stapp addictions and douchebagness. I think these guys need a shrink and a producer. Too many egos, too much pride and not enough commitment to Creed's success. I'm so disgusted its been almost four years and nothing.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I'm curious as to how they came about choosing Howard Benson for Full Circle.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

I've never understood the love for Rick Rubin. The guy has had success no doubt but needless to say I'm not a fan. I wish Bob Rock would reunite with Metallica to get them back on track sonically.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

axlar wrote:Creed has no market in europe, as europeans hate Stapp
I'm not sure Europeans HATE Stapp. In fact, I'm pretty sure :
1. they don't really know him
2. they don't care about him
i guess you stapp lovers just cant handle the truth, or dont want to face the truth..
The same can be said about Tremonti lovers
just your one sided view along with a lot of false asumptions makes me cringe..
I don't think I am one sided. I was a big Creed fan in the early 2000's. Then I became a big AB fan. And when the reunion happened, I became a fan of both bands.
Quite frankly, right now, I care a bit more about Creed, because IMHO, it's the only band out of the three that can still release a classic album.
It's just my opinion, but I think AB is done creatively.
jripper420 wrote:I think the whole Elvis thing has more to do with the fact he's their buddy
That's for sure, and IMHo, it's a big problem not to be able to separate friendship from work when you're 40. Mark should know only the end result matters (which means how good will it sound, and it doesn't matter who you recorded it with)
I think these guys need a shrink and a producer. Too many egos, too much pride and not enough commitment to Creed's success.
It's obvious.
But they're way too proud and in their own bubble to admit that.
Mark and Stapp really need to do some INTENSE therapy if they ever want to move forward creatively and personnally.
Andy92 wrote:I'm curious as to how they came about choosing Howard Benson for Full Circle.
Mark wanted Elvis (already !), but he wasn't available.
Stapp would never have dared to challenge his call back then, it was way too soon to stir up some new drama.
JaredWard wrote:I've never understood the love for Rick Rubin. The guy has had success no doubt but needless to say I'm not a fan. I wish Bob Rock would reunite with Metallica to get them back on track sonically.
As much as I hate his work today, the dude has awesome ears, and 20 years ago, he also had amazing engineers.
Just listen to RATM's self-titled album or to RHCP's Blood Sugar Sex Magic. Amazing production values.

+1 for Bob Rock, but Flemming Rasmussen woul be even better :humina

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

^^^ so are you trying to tell me you LIKE stapp?

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

chtimixeur wrote:Mark should know only the end result matters (which means how good will it sound, and it doesn't matter who you recorded it with)
That's the thing... he's said many times that he likes the Elvis "sound". Plus he lives in Orlando now so it's an easy choice to go with. I'm not saying it's the right choice but that's who floats his boat I guess. I do however like All I Was more than any of the Alter Bridge albums sonically.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

AB23 wrote:^^^ so are you trying to tell me you LIKE stapp?
Not really. He's a great singer, but he always sounds phony and fake when I hear him in interviews. Ne's not the douche he used to be anymore, but he's still acting like a rock star here and there.

Overall, I don't care about band members as individuals. I only care about bands, and yes, I really love early Creed (just as much as I love early AB, the only difference is I don't anticipate anything AB related).

Ashlee
Site Admin

Post by Ashlee »

chtimixeur wrote:
Not really. He's a great singer,
Now I thank you for the laugh.

Finaldecision
White Knuckled

Post by Finaldecision »

axlar wrote:Creed has no market in europe, as europeans hate Stapp.. especially the press (including radio) makes that very clear.. Alter bridge still feels the consequenses from being fromed out of Creed because of Stapp's reputation.. Stapp is "too american/over the top/douchery" for european market..
So would you say that in the USA there are no haters?! Aside from all the haters, I actually believe that there is a market for Creed in Europe. There must be a market, because they've been in most of the European music charts for years, espacially in Germany, Austria, Scandinavia, Netherlands etc. And of course in England. Even Full Circle was in the top ten of the German album charts (#9).
I'm not quite sure if the fact that there wasn't a European tour for more than ten years now, will help them actually. But since fans are waiting for so long now, this could also be another reason to really attract a decent audience.
axlar wrote:also it was stapp who always prevented creed to come to europe in the late 90s/ early 00s, as he wasnt able to stay away from home too long..
So where's that rumour from? Stapp left his home with age 16, so why would he fear leaving America for a few weeks/months?
axlar wrote:and you cant blame mark for having more fun doing his thing, with friends opposed to doing the thing with stapp.. it was good to see mark, flip, brian and erock having fun.. where stapp was nowhere to be found for the fans.. tells one enough.. creed travels in two buses for one reason only..i can go on and on, but i guess you stapp lovers just cant handle the truth, or dont want to face the truth..
I think it's kinda strange they travel with two buses. I've heard the reason why Stapp doesn't meet fans is because he tries to avoid alcohol by any means now.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

why does it say "ab23 wrote" when i can assure you ab23 did not write that! i do not care about creeds tension that much as they arent even together

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Ashlee wrote:
chtimixeur wrote:
Not really. He's a great singer,
Now I thank you for the laugh.
Regardless of how he sounds now, I'll guess none of us would probably know Mark Tremonti if it wasn't for the popularity Stapp's voice brought in Creed's heyday.

Ashlee
Site Admin

Post by Ashlee »

I've never thought Stapp was a great singer. He's a prolific songwriter who sounded right in a post grunge era when that thing was cool. No one is going to get stoned by me for personal preference though.