Who's Got My Back?

A place for all Creed discussion.
AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Who's Got My Back?

Post by AB4Lyfe »

I was just skimming through some of my old Creed stuff and I discovered this song. I had never heard it before so I decided to give it a listen, and my mind is completely blown. Personally, I think this is one of the better songs Creed has written, anyone else share this opinion?

mastermyx
Bought The CDs

Re: Who's Got My Back?

Post by mastermyx »

I agree, I was pretty bummed they didn't play it for these last sets of tours since Scott's voice is back and it would have sounded pretty damn good. They only played it like once or twice that I know of on tour during weathered

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I really like this song, it's one of the decent songs on Weathered, which is an album I can barely listen to nowadays. One of the most positive things about Creed is that they really shine when their songwriting is more dynamic and slightly more ambitious. Songs like Torn, Pity For a Dime, What's This Life For, Wash Away Those Years, Faceless Man, Pity For a Dime, Who's Got My Back and possibly Time are probably their best songs. I'd even go as far to say I prefer those songs as compared to the vast majority of AB's catalogue, and I'd say the quality of songwriting is better in those songs than in most of AB's work (not trying to start a AB v Creed war, just stating my opinion), but on the other hand, I'm not really that interested in Creed's other songs. I think there's a hell of a lot of filler on Human Clay and Weathered

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

Great song. Can't help but think of it as a sibling song to 'The End Is Here'.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

NytestrykerZ wrote:Great song. Can't help but think of it as a sibling song to 'The End Is Here'.
I can't help that either.

I wish this is something AB would experiment with, this kind of sound. The song is 8 minutes long and it has power, a different kind of power than Blackbird. Plus, at least in the intro and outro, there's a series of string instruments that sound beautiful.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

NytestrykerZ wrote:Great song. Can't help but think of it as a sibling song to 'The End Is Here'.
I've always loved Tremonti's epic songs : Faceless Man, Who's Got My Back (despite the long intro and the dull bass lines) and The End is Here. They've always felt like a trilogy to me.
Blackbird is nice too, but it doesn't fit in the same category IMHO.
I've never enjoyed Time.
And Show Me a Sign is alright at best IMO.

Last year, I was really excited when they announced a new Creed song sounded like a mix of My own Prison and Faceless Man. I hope we get to hear it someday (and I hope they record it properly, with a guitar tone as good as the first 3 songs I mentioned above).

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I was listening to this album the other day (which I never do, I can't stand most of it) and I think the intro riff to Bullets could be a sibling to White Knuckles. I kind of see where Mark was coming from with that riff.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

mastermyx wrote:I agree, I was pretty bummed they didn't play it for these last sets of tours since Scott's voice is back and it would have sounded pretty damn good. They only played it like once or twice that I know of on tour during weathered
They played it a lot on the Weathered tour. I saw them 3-4 times on that tour and they played it each time. I also saw it acoustic at a radio show here in LA, the only time they've played it acoustic live. It was amazing!
Photobucket cash grab.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

There's a fair amount of videos from the Weathered Tour of Creed playing this song live, just as epic as the recorded version.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/L2krxeIZ8f8[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/R6GQJ8xyVW0[/youtube]

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

Ryan...didn't they play Who's Got My Back acoustic in one of their last Weathered concerts? I think it was the last one if I remember correctly.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

BastiMix
Loyal Follower

Post by BastiMix »

Is one of those videos the infamous performance where Stapp laid down on his back and said the other guys wouldn't have his back? (or whichever way it was, can't remember it atm). I can't watch it from Germany.
Please give them a like :)

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Nope, that was from Chicago. Still no video of that show out there to this day, which kind of irritates me as I'd love to revisit it from fresh eyes (I was there front row that night). There are a handful of pictures, but no video.

For instance:
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

So what exactly is the story behind that picture? I'm not that familiar with Creed history.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

If I'm not mistaken.. Stapp is the only one who has the video footage from Chicago.

EDIT: The only other person that might have something is Christina (formerly of CreedPit). She literally has hundreds of Creed shows archived.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

George wrote:Ryan...didn't they play Who's Got My Back acoustic in one of their last Weathered concerts? I think it was the last one if I remember correctly.
I don't think so. Unless you're thinking of the same show. It was in December 2002...so it was towards the end. Not the last show though. The Chicago incident happened after the show I went to.
Photobucket cash grab.

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

So we are talking about the same show. I wish I could see a video of that, man.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

Ah yeah. Sorry, I read your post wrong lol. Thought you said their last show. Just saw you said one of...so yeah, we're talking about the same show.

I tried contacting the radio station years after for audio or video and they never responded.
Photobucket cash grab.

Ashlee
Site Admin

Post by Ashlee »

So the story behind Stapp down on the floor with his floppy Hanes socks is that he was under the influence of something (this was the second to last show before the Creed breakup) and he played a 17 fucking minute rendition of Whose Got My Back. And started rambling on about how no one had his back while Bret, Flip and Mark kept playing for...

17 fucking minutes. If I'm not mistaken he also walked off stage two or three times and people had to go get him. It was a nightmare. lol

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

I'm not sure how long Who's Got My Back went for, but the 17 minute one was Say I. Watching Mark, Flip, and Brett just riff and keep playing to try their damndest to cover up Stapp's chicanery was a treat and a half.

And Jared, I don't believe Christina has video of that show. I'm still good facebook friends with her, and if she had it, I'm sure she'd have leaked it out by now. :)
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.