New Stapp Album/Single

A place for all Creed discussion.
Finaldecision
White Knuckled

Re: New Stapp Album/Single

Post by Finaldecision »

Video really gives me goosebumps each time I watch it. Best video in the Creed-context since Broken Wings from Alter Bridge, which was pretty decent as well.

Stapp and the video director, also the persons who play his father, Stapp as a child etc. do a very good job. Very authentic and heavy. I'm really impressed or like Stapp would say, "he turned a mess to a message". :bow

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Finaldecision wrote:Video really gives me goosebumps each time I watch it. Best video in the Creed-context since Broken Wings from Alter Bridge, which was pretty decent as well.

Stapp and the video director, also the persons who play his father, Stapp as a child etc. do a very good job. Very authentic and heavy. I'm really impressed or like Stapp would say, "he turned a mess to a message". :bow
Yikes, you're easily pleased. Here's how I think the video could have been improved a tad.

Keep the bit where Stapp is sat in a waiting room at a hospital, singing the song. Someone is rushed in.. but maybe you don't see the face of this person initially. Also.. keep the bits with a young child being abused. But I just think the video would have so much more emotional impact if you only realised that it's all Stapp (the kid and the rushed in patient)... at the very end of the video.. when the dots start being connected. Like Stapp could take a journey through the building and walk into a room at the hospital and he could see that it's himself in the hospital bed. Likewise.. at the end he could follow a ghostly child and find some sort of childhood trinket that takes him back and reminds him of the ordeal (and shows us that the child is him) he went through when he was younger. There just would have been a bit more subtlety/mystery if there was an actual actor in the role instead of Stapp singing it all whilst acting too. Get rid of the crappy.. being arrested.. stuff along with the.. guardian angel.. nonsense and you've got yourself an average/decent music video.

As it is now it just smacks of... "Look at all the bad shit I've been through. This is why I looked like a douche in the past." - I mean, it's so over the top I honestly don't think you'd need to read his book after watching it.
Last edited by Dan Dando on Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by facelessman07 »

^Wow, truly great suggestions. Like it

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Well that was weird.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

It might be a bit cheesy, but I like it a lot. Definitely better than pretty much every Alter Bridge music video (besides maybe Broken Wings).

I might be because of all the effects on his voice, but I always felt like the chorus was very Ozzy-ish.. Watching that video, Scott actually looks a lot like Ozzy in the last chorus (with the gun). Nothing special, just something I noticed.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

nagpo
Burn It Down

Post by nagpo »

Dan Dando wrote:
Finaldecision wrote:Video really gives me goosebumps each time I watch it. Best video in the Creed-context since Broken Wings from Alter Bridge, which was pretty decent as well.

Yikes, you're easily pleased. Here's how I think the video could have been improved a tad.

Keep the bit where Stapp is sat in a waiting room at a hospital, singing the song. Someone is rushed in.. but maybe you don't see the face of this person initially. Also.. keep the bits with a young child being abused. But I just think the video would have so much more emotional impact if you only realised that it's all Stapp (the kid and the rushed in patient)... at the very end of the video.. when the dots start being connected. Like Stapp could take a journey through the building and walk into a room at the hospital and he could see that it's himself in the hospital bed. Likewise.. at the end he could follow a ghostly child and find some sort of childhood trinket that takes him back and reminds him of the ordeal (and shows us that the child is him) he went through when he was younger. There just would have been a bit more subtlety/mystery if there was an actual actor in the role instead of Stapp singing it all whilst acting too. Get rid of the crappy.. being arrested.. stuff along with the.. guardian angel.. nonsense and you've got yourself an average/decent music video.

As it is now it just smacks of... "Look at all the bad shit I've been through. This is why I looked like a douche in the past." - I mean, it's so over the top I honestly don't think you'd need to read his book after watching it.
I don't think I've ever heard you say anything positive about scott stapp or creed.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Dan Dando wrote:

While I agree that the video is nothing great, those suggestions are cliche. And I definitely din't get that "Look at all the bad shit I've been through. This is why I looked like a douche in the past."feel from the video cuz Stapp came out as a douche only for a short period in 2002 and whatever little limelight he got post that. I don't understand how people can't see how extremely genuine and humble he was in all of those early Creed interviews. He had an edge to him, but thats where he was being great. Scott Stapp being douchebag is more of a myth than reality, he was one for a while, everyone are at some point in their lives, the only difference is that it was all public for him. Am sure half the people on this board would turn out to be bigger douchebags had their life been as public as Stapp's.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

nagpo wrote:I don't think I've ever heard you say anything positive about scott stapp or creed.
Nonsense, mate. Look through my post history and you'll find very few derogatory comments towards Creed (I'll be surprised if you find any) - I loved and still love Creed. They were my favourite band... and then they broke up, but out of that fissure came Alter Bridge and I am incredibly thankful for that as Alter Bridge took the ball and ran with it, and have made and are continuing to make better music. But I'll always have a soft spot for the music that Flip, Brian and Mark made with Scott. I have no strong feelings towards Scott Stapp in any way really - I don't hate the guy but I don't love the guy, you know what I mean? If I've ever criticised him or his music it's not out of spite, it's just the way I feel about that output. For example... I absolutely loved his performance of 'I'm Eighteen' that he was doing on tour a couple of years back. I played that a ton at the time. I've never criticised The Great Divide - it's not perfect but I don't think it's a bad album. It's just a coincidence that Scott has happened to release a very poor album (and in my opinion a poor/average music video) around the time of my membership on these boards. Whenever I voice/write my opinion it's not some childish and silly attempt to assert an anti-Stapp sentiment, and it's not a pissing contest where I'm trying to put Creed/Stapp down whilst praising Alter Bridge. If Scott follows Proof of Life up with a better album I'll say it how I see it and commend the guy and his music. Until then... I'll just carry on being honest.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Them Bones wrote:Scott Stapp being douchebag is more of a myth than reality
Did you write that with a straight-face? ;) :lol

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Dan Dando wrote:
Them Bones wrote:Scott Stapp being douchebag is more of a myth than reality
Did you write that with a straight-face? ;) :lol
Yeah I did.. But I get what you saying. Fact bro.

And about the video, I personally think the acting in the was pretty good by everybody including Stapp. The kid actor was superb and Stapp was damn good as well. Imo, it could have been a cooler video with a different concept. Its very direct and does come of cheesy at times cuz of it, not sure how much of a bad thing it is cuz a serious cool video will turn out to be a little boring, this keeps you at it, with a bit of cheese.

And yep, I personally am waiting for quality music from Stapp. Hopefully he finds a good set of musicians to develop and write with, cuz this album is something I won't be coming back to.
Last edited by Them Bones on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

creed009
Loyal Follower

Post by creed009 »

What does "cheesy" even mean, and why is it a bad thing?

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Clichéd, derivative, overly obvious, overplaying emotional themes to the detriment of feeling truthful. That kind of thing.

I hope I've answered both your questions there.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

creed009 wrote:What does "cheesy" even mean, and why is it a bad thing?

It doesn't need to be a bad thing. Its certain elements to any music or art or whatever that can kinda come of as over indulgent or overdone. It makes you not take it seriously.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

creed009 wrote:What does "cheesy" even mean, and why is it a bad thing?
Let me do some backtracking. If people like the video... then that's cool. I don't honestly think it's a terrible music video (although I don't think it's good either) but maybe some of the extremely positive reactions ruffled my feathers a little bit into criticising it heavily.

I mean...
AllC392Was wrote:Wow that was an incredible Music video
JaredWard wrote:I have to hand it to Scott & whoever directed this... it's amazing & probably the best music video I've seen in a long time.
AllC392Was wrote:so powerful
Finaldecision wrote:Video really gives me goosebumps each time I watch it
When I think of words like that... incredible, amazing, powerful and goosebumps... I think of this.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/3aF9AJm0RFc[/youtube]
Last edited by Dan Dando on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

:(
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

creed009
Loyal Follower

Post by creed009 »

Ubik wrote:Clichéd, derivative, overly obvious, overplaying emotional themes to the detriment of feeling truthful. That kind of thing.

I hope I've answered both your questions there.
Well, I'm pretty sure that I at least prefer "cheesy" over some insane rapper like Eminem who raps about murdering his mother.

creed009
Loyal Follower

Post by creed009 »

empjori wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QphK9wwzssU

Its finally here.
Great music video for the song, maybe he is overacting in some parts, but still pretty cool.
Why does the video on youtube not show up on the first page of Google when you type in "Scott Stapp Slow Suicide?" Just not enough views yet?

creed009
Loyal Follower

Post by creed009 »

I just came across this page that has four songs off Proof of Life down at the bottom with the word "single" listed beside them. Those songs are Slow Suicide, Break Out, Jesus Was a Rockstar, and Only One. Could this website be right and actually know what the singles are ahead of time? It's surprising that he would release "Jesus Was a Rockstar" as a single, unless he's just sending it to the Christian stations. Because it doesn't seem likely the Top 40 stations would play a song that openly Christian. But, I guess it seems like it could be a popular song since it has way more views on Youtube than any of his other songs.

http://www.music-bazaar.com/world-music ... ne-Single/

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

creed009 wrote:I just came across this page that has four songs off Proof of Life down at the bottom with the word "single" listed beside them. Those songs are Slow Suicide, Break Out, Jesus Was a Rockstar, and Only One. Could this website be right and actually know what the singles are ahead of time? It's surprising that he would release "Jesus Was a Rockstar" as a single, unless he's just sending it to the Christian stations. Because it doesn't seem likely the Top 40 stations would play a song that openly Christian. But, I guess it seems like it could be a popular song since it has way more views on Youtube than any of his other songs.

http://www.music-bazaar.com/world-music ... ne-Single/

That Jesus song just ain't right. Shouldn't have been released in the first place let alone being released as a single. Only One is a decent choice, I don't care tbh, personally I don't see any of the singles getting famous. They just aren't that good.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

Are the record labels really that daft? Wow.
Photobucket cash grab.