Creed DFP Much better quality

A place for all Creed discussion.
Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Creed DFP Much better quality

Post by Them Bones »

Seen these before, but not in this quality. Enjoy.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/n_v_EwEX-o8[/youtube]

Its funny what Mark used to have to say about Creed's music back in the day(watch the video), and its all been tainted now.

Brian's bass rules here.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

nagpo
Burn It Down

Re: Creed DFP Much better quality

Post by nagpo »

Nice video. I especially liked the ending when Ozzy incoherently spouts out about his rebellious ways as a child.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Nice video.
Mark seemed as enthusiastic about Creed back then as he is about AB right now.
To be frank, I thought Stapp didn't sound that good, and I thought he was better back in those days. Seeing him so close made me chuckle because of all the faces he's making.

Also, it was really nice to hear Chi Cheng from the deftones talk about life in general at the end, knowing his tragic ending a few years later.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Yeah, Stapp has that "mouth full of cotton balls" as I call it, where he doesn't enunciate well. Much like he is today. Perhaps they were deep in the HC tour, and his voice was tired.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I remember someone saying once Myles had a "mouth full of marbles" when he was doing the same kind of voice. :yes No wonder everyone made fun of Stapp back in the day when he kept using that gimmick.

Back to the video.
Here is Mark's exact quote
All music we've ever written has been for us. If we'd like it, if would be a Creed song. It's proven true that our fans will like it if we like it. We haven't tried to conform to any style for the masses. It's always been for ourselves. I think people would be able to tell if we conformed. I think people could tell if it was skin deep instead of really heartfelt.
For those like me who do not come from an English speaking country, "skin deep" means "without deep meaning or importance", "superficial".

So I would really like to know how Mark could change his mind so much about Creed. It's a complete 180. In the last few years, he has kept saying Creed was a commercial band with more simple song structures, whereas back in the day he was saying those same songs were genuine and came from the heart.

This really makes me think he has forgotten what Creed was really about in the first place, and as I said recently, it's no surprise he's not emotionnally attached to this band anymore. He just doesn't connect with its music anymore.

Decay

Post by Decay »

chtimixeur wrote:I remember someone saying once Myles had a "mouth full of marbles" when he was doing the same kind of voice. :yes No wonder everyone made fun of Stapp back in the day when he kept using that gimmick.

Back to the video.
Here is Mark's exact quote
All music we've ever written has been for us. If we'd like it, if would be a Creed song. It's proven true that our fans will like it if we like it. We haven't tried to conform to any style for the masses. It's always been for ourselves. I think people would be able to tell if we conformed. I think people could tell if it was skin deep instead of really heartfelt.
For those like me who do not come from an English speaking country, "skin deep" means "without deep meaning or importance", "superficial".

So I would really like to know how Mark could change his mind so much about Creed. It's a complete 180. In the last few years, he has kept saying Creed was a commercial band with more simple song structures, whereas back in the day he was saying those same songs were genuine and came from the heart.

This really makes me think he has forgotten what Creed was really about in the first place, and as I said recently, it's no surprise he's not emotionnally attached to this band anymore. He just doesn't connect with its music anymore.
What I think made him change his mind about Creed is all the melodrama he's had with Stapp over the years, but he kept quiet. You gotta let it out, or it'll eat you inside.
He wasn't happy when doing tours with Creed, you could see the expression on Mark's and Stapp's faces, they can't stand each other.
I don't even know why had they reunited. Maybe it's the money, I don't know...

Stapp's lyric ''I'm not the way I used to be, I've changed'' on ''Away In Silence'' is crap. He looks the same to me, the same old man he used to be. First that Twitter thing, now this (Creed.com leads to Stapp)... All that was unnecessary.

I don't hate Creed. But if they're done (permanently), they should sit down and talk, like grown-ups. If you guys don't care and don't feel anything for Creed, don't do it anymore, move on, close that chapter in your lives.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

I have this entire show on VHS somewhere. Would love to get it up on YouTube one of these days but unfortunately I don't have a converter yet.
Decay wrote:You gotta let it out, or it'll eat you inside.
"Ya gotta let it out!!!"

Decay

Post by Decay »

JaredWard wrote:I have this entire show on VHS somewhere. Would love to get it up on YouTube one of these days but unfortunately I don't have a converter yet.
Decay wrote:You gotta let it out, or it'll eat you inside.
"Ya gotta let it out!!!"
Haha, I have actually had 'A Thousand Faces' on my mind when I wrote that :D

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

The whole reunion up until the last show that Creed played felt forced. Mark didn't enjoy much of it, smiled for the fans, but you could tell he wasn't into it anymore.
Thanks Timo!

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

I think everybody agrees on how there is recent tension within the band, but we are talking about those days when Mark said he wrote Creed songs with all the passion in the world, and that he never stuck to a formula. But now, he taints it all the time by saying shit about Creed's music. I think its only to promote Alter Bridge, but its so wrong. He should promote Alter Bridge as much as he can, but not by fucking Creed's image up. Its really annoying how Mark goes on demeaning Creed's songs and comes across like the songs did not mean anything and shit.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

The break up must've left a realllly sour taste. He hasn't forgotten about it one bit
Thanks Timo!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Decay wrote:Stapp's lyric ''I'm not the way I used to be, I've changed'' on ''Away In Silence'' is crap. He looks the same to me, the same old man he used to be. First that Twitter thing, now this (Creed.com leads to Stapp)... All that was unnecessary.
He wrote that song for his wife, not Mark. lol

I know he still seems to have an ego about him, but if you compare his life now to 10 years ago, he's better off. He's off drugs and alcohol as far as I know. I'd take those accomplishments over a couple dumb social media squabbles any day.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

I honestly think the things Mark said in the video he meant about Creed at that point. I'm willing to bet that Weathered was a completely different story.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Weathered wasn't their best record, but it was pretty damn good. Bullets, Freedom Fighter, Signs, Weathered, One Last Breath, Whose got my back?.. some insane songs these were.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I think Jhenrid is right about Weathered.
One Last Breath and My Sacrifice are good songs, but they were definitely written with a formula in order to be hit songs. Don't Stop Dancing is even worse, and the video still makes me cringe.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

I didn't even catch the last part of the video until now. It's pretty sad to revisit this stuff & remember just how good of friends they were back then. Not to mention how good they were live back in the day.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

This is just my own opinion, and I could be wrong, but when Mark was talking all that about Creed being the "commercial" band and AB being the "artistic" band, I really think he was talking more about Full Circle and whatever songs he'd been working on after that for the next Creed record that never came together. The old stuff, especially the first couple albums, seemed very heartfelt and genuine and "artistic" no matter what. Although, especially by HC and Weathered, that there was very much a plan / marketing in place, that there was less of that raw organic feel that MOP had. Which is bound to happen, since MOP was written when they were a nobody club band and I'm sure most of the HC/Weathered material came later when they were already a commercial success.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

TenaciousBe wrote:This is just my own opinion, and I could be wrong, but when Mark was talking all that about Creed being the "commercial" band and AB being the "artistic" band, I really think he was talking more about Full Circle and whatever songs he'd been working on after that for the next Creed record that never came together. The old stuff, especially the first couple albums, seemed very heartfelt and genuine and "artistic" no matter what. Although, especially by HC and Weathered, that there was very much a plan / marketing in place, that there was less of that raw organic feel that MOP had. Which is bound to happen, since MOP was written when they were a nobody club band and I'm sure most of the HC/Weathered material came later when they were already a commercial success.

The only commercial songs on HC are higher and arms wide open, and are not really very bad songs. They were just a little too over played. HC has no commercial quality whatsoever, the lyrics on that album blow out anything AB has ever done imo and the ferocity of Vocals is undeniable. Not just AB, for me personally, HC has better lyrics than a lot of other bands out there. Its subjective, but yeah, thats my opinion. And no, what mark really implies here is that Creed's music was mediocre. Mark has to say that so Alter Bridge can shine more. It sucks. But I personally have moved on, Creed is done for me, even if they put out more music it'll be from the mentality that its done for the wrong reasons, Creed or these guys will never be able to make music as good as MOP, HC imo. They have been brain washed by critics and fan boys over the years to an extent that they have probably even forgotten what Creed really stood for. When a couple of fans here asked me what was it that Mark said about Stapp or Creed that makes him a dick, thats what I meant, he says things with hidden implications in it implying Creed sucks. Fine by me, I have the first three albums to listen to which imo are the best these guys ever did with any project.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

And those albums were both written in a very different time, both for the music world and for the guys and their lives. Trying to recapture that magic would just fall flat, I would think. They've all moved on and grown as artists (well, most of them...), and there's nothing wrong with just letting the greatness of those first couple albums stand on their own, for the test of time, and moving on to create whatever they want to do now.

I would hope Mark's not implying that the early Creed sucked, because he's dead wrong if that's the case. It may be simpler songwriting, but that's who they were then, and there's nothing wrong with simple songs anyway.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.