A place for all Creed discussion.
chtimixeur
On The Rail

Re: Creed.com leads to Scott Stapp now

Post by chtimixeur »

MidnightToker wrote:
chtimixeur wrote:
anguyen92 wrote:hope his solo album does well and he can play arenas
That will never happen in a million years.
Stapp as a solo artist will be lucky to fill 2.000 seats theaters.
That is his main problem : he's still living as if he made millions with Creed, when he's just an average size solo artist. He's probably the only one on this planet who still thinks he sold 2 million copies of The Great Divide.
He and his wife have a certain lifestyle, and they need Creed to sustain it.

His 2nd solo album looks like he's gonna sell out big time, but I'd be really surprised if he managed to sell 20k copies in the first week. Aside from his die hard fans, no one cares about him, and radio DJ's still hate him with a passion. So, it doesn't matter if there are good songs on this new record : America won't hear them.
I agree, and it's not just radio DJs that hate him. People got really sick of Creed fast in their hayday. Was it because they thought the guitar, bass or drums were too religious? Of course not. Stapp is the face of Creed, one of the most ridiculed and made fun of bands of the last 20 years (countless examples, but take the popular movie Without A Paddle as one mainstream example. The guys hear something in the woods and one of the main characters says "sounds like Creed", obviously meaning it sounded bad). People also regularly mocked his voice. And it certainly hasn't gotten better. Sometimes (ex. Live 2010 DVD) it is unbearable to listen to.

He might get some airplay if he has a big catchy single or something -- and he should have one, since he seems to be working with all these writers and musicians. But he still will be mocked and ridiculed for his very in-your-face religious lyrics and his not-so-great voice.
The Creed and Limp Bizkit hate has always annoyed me, because the music was good or catchy in the first place. It's not like they sold dozens of millions of records by accident. Whenever I see an article bashing them these days, I find it pathetic, because it's not 1999 or 2000 anymore, and some morons think they are funny criticizing bands that were hugely popular 12 years ago !
This just proves one thing : time won't change a thing, even if they release a good album. As long as he's alive, Stapp will still get mocked whenever he goes in public or sings a song.

AustinH22
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by AustinH22 »

wow Them Bones you really spend a lot of time writing intricate posts about a band that has members that don't give a damn about the same band you adore hahaha!

Skip to 1:29. This quote has finally rung true. Goodbye Creed.

Everyone who is defending Stapp needs to rewatch this video. I'm amazed that the band lasted through him acting like this! I have so much respect for Mark, Flip, and Brian, and it mostly comes from how long they were able to last around a jerk like Stapp acting like he's hot shit all the time.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/Y0QOiv5XbWE[/youtube]

AustinH22
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by AustinH22 »

Because this song was mentioned in this thread:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/J_OEOGh1UVg[/youtube]

This review is beautiful :bow

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

AustinH22 wrote:wow Them Bones you really spend a lot of time writing intricate posts about a band that has members that don't give a damn about the same band you adore hahaha!

Skip to 1:29. This quote has finally rung true. Goodbye Creed.

Everyone who is defending Stapp needs to rewatch this video. I'm amazed that the band lasted through him acting like this! I have so much respect for Mark, Flip, and Brian, and it mostly comes from how long they were able to last around a jerk like Stapp acting like he's hot shit all the time.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/Y0QOiv5XbWE[/youtube]

:rolleyes

Defending Stapp?

You diggin some serious shit again aren't you? Oh by the way, thats typical behaviour of a lot of people around the world, I think you should get out of the cucoon of a live that you live in . No ones defending that. you can't keep pointing at someones flaws to win an argument by the way. Do better than that.

Its not about a few drunken behaviours of a person. Am sure Mark, flip and Brian especially have been a part of bigger scene when drunk, just that, its not on tape and on television. Fuck that, am sure a lot of us here on this board have had bad nights on alcohol, thats besides the point. Also, Mark"s camp have also made similar claims saying Creed lyrics were all written by Mark and all of that, a sword goes both ways you know.

Anyways, I don't even know what kinda post you really wanted to make Austinwhatever. Yeah I adore Creed, and thats one of the reasons I wish Creed had never reunited, cuz with the way these guys have tainted all that they did in the past is hilarious.

I think if you and other few of your fellow fanboys had tried to read any of my posts clearly, you probably would be getting your heads out of your asses right now. I haven't been defending Stapp, I've been the most critical about him sometimes, but I don't go or stand for blind attacks at a person who once was definitely a quality musician wether you like it or not. Stapp is flawed, but he seems to be an easy target, and is always mocked and blamed to extents not necessary. The rest of the band(Mark, Flip, Brian) that a lot of you have put on a citadel, are no saints.

And another guy asked about the world tour, Brian had mentioned about a Creed world tour sometime in 2011 and had also posted a poster with "Creed World Tour New Zealand" Written all over it. Not just Brian, obviously the shitty Creed sites were posting it as well.

All in all, The arguments here are baseless and obviously are made to look like they are provoked by me. I don't have a problem with that, I do have a huge problem with the likes of AB23 and a few others. Not making it personal, its been that way forever now, but yeah, sometimes its hard to not take their trip.
Last edited by Them Bones on Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

AustinH22 wrote:Because this song was mentioned in this thread:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/J_OEOGh1UVg[/youtube]

This review is beautiful :bow
Its things like this song that will never make me have the same respect for Stapp that I once did.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

TremontiFan4Life
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by TremontiFan4Life »

In the beginning of the whole situation with Creed there's no question that I had different feelings about it then as opposed to how I feel about it now. I remember shortly after I joined the forums That was when I became aware of what was actually going on with Scott Stapp, As I began to see more and more of his behavior in public I started to like him even less. After the Creed reunion happened I like everyone else was very very unhappy, But then I started to see a change in Scott, One that seemed genuine on his behalf, Like he was really trying to be a better person.

So I started not to care so much about the fact that they had reunited I started to not take Alter Bridge so seriously as a band, Yes they've made tremendous music that has helped me immensely in my life but I started looking at the situation simply as enjoy it while it's here because it may not last forever. I believe that Scott may have had some misconceptions at the beginning of the Creed reunion thinking that Mark and the other guys were going to abandon Alter Bridge, Which we as fans of the band know is pretty preposterous of an idea. If you look at it with an open point of view however maybe Scott honestly thinks that it isn't that hard to branch off into a solo career or in the other guys case a different band. If you think about it he has only released one solo album so far and he may equate its poor performance with the fact that he was in a horrible place personally and professionally at the time.

Maybe he thinks that the guys have not had a difficult time getting Alter Bridge recognized and maybe he thought that they were as eager to get back to Creed as he was, And so maybe he actually did expect the guys to drop what they were doing and return to Creed full-time. In the beginning of the reunion the guys seemed genuinely happy to be on stage with each other again, I don't think the kind of emotion and expressions that we saw from them in the beginning are an easy thing to fake if they really didn't like each other as much as it appears now. I think a lot of the problems they're having between each other have to do with communication and maybe they would benefit from something similar to what Metallica did during the making of the album St. anger when they got that therapist Phil Towle to help them.

In regards to Stapp he has always had the perception that he comes off as an arrogant person that is trying to be something that he isn't in regards trying to seem like somebody he isn't or trying to seem cooler than he is. That being said I think there comes a point where people just need to lay off him and give him a break. I'm not trying to defend the guy or sing his praises or kiss his ass, but I mean honestly people need to give the guy a chance. Realistically it's been several years since he has been in the news for anything negative and the guy still gets such bad treatment based on things that have happened almost 10 years ago now. At one point in his life my father was an alcoholic so I know firsthand that it is not easy to deal with alcoholism but Scott is really doing his best.

That doesn't mean that he's perfect and in my opinion I think he needs to realize that in today's music industry it is not going to be possible for him to sustain the lifestyle that he's used to on a consistent basis, hardly anyone can live like that these days, Unless you're a band like Nickelback that seems to always be able to sell platinum albums legitimately if I'm not mistaken. If what has been rumored about Scott trying to acquire the rights to the Creed name so that he can use it is true then that changes things a bit, All I can say if that is true is that it's a shame because the world only needs one Axl Rose. I think it's a tremendous injustice to the loyal fan base or the fans that may only know the band by name to then go to see them thinking that they're the same old band that they used to be and in the end, they end up sounding completely different because the key members of the band are no longer there.

The last thing that I think I can say is that if the guys genuinely don't want to be in the band anymore they need to stop ignoring the issue and address it between themselves for the good of the fan base, It's not a good thing to keep stringing fans of a certain brand along in the hope that they're going to get something that the actual bandmembers themselves have little or no intention of doing. Now, I'm not the biggest fan of Creed that I used to be because Alter Bridge exists But that doesn't mean that if Creed were to come out with an album and it was actually exceptionally good I wouldn't like it, I don't even wish Creed to be gone I just wish that the guys would address whatever issues they have amongst each other and come to a resolution one way or another.

That is just my two cents on the subject, it actually turned into quite a rant
Last edited by TremontiFan4Life on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Good post, man (but next time, split if in paragraphs please).

I think you're right about a group therapy. It is absolutely necesseary for Creed's future, but I don't think it's gonna happen for one simple reason : Mark is not emotionally attached to this band anymore. Stapp is, and to an extent, so are Brian and Flip.

But Mark is all about Ab and his solo project. That's where his heart is in 2013.
Just read his solo lyrics, and you'll realize he doesn't care the slightest about people who hurt him in the past. Stapp is definitely one of those people.

TremontiFan4Life
Hardcore TABN'er

Sorry :) , I sent that from my iPad so it kind of threw me off. Fixed

TremontiFan4Life
Hardcore TABN'er

I completely agree with what you're saying and in regards to Mark's solo lyrics, it's pretty apparent that he either has forgiven people or doesn't put very much effort into caring about people once they wrong him. However, like I said before I think it's pretty hard to fake what looked like genuine happiness at the beginning of the Creed reunion. I'm actually beginning to wonder to myself if Scott's book had anything to do with the deterioration of their friendship. When I sit and think about it though, I think it has more to do with a misconception on Scott's part about Mark and the guys giving up on Alter Bridge to return to Creed full-time, thus leading to feelings of betrayal on Scott's part.

In a lot of respects, the way a lot of things have been handled makes you think that you're dealing with people that are in their 20s rather than people in their late 30s and early 40s. Case in point would be what happened last year sometime when we had that episode where Scott started blocking people that followed Creed on twitter because they were also following Alter Bridge (this actually happened to me and I remain blocked on the Creed twitter and Scott's personal twitter page). In my opinion to do something like that was just plain petty.

Now of course I know that just by logic there is no way that Mark can be a saint in all of this, that just comes with being human, we all have our faults. What I will say is that it seems like Mark has a better way of managing his. One thing that goes a long way especially in this day and age is that he is very accessible to his fans, not only on twitter but also when you meet him in person, you never get the sense that he is doing you a favor by taking the time to grace you with his presence or to say a few words to you. Now I can't speak for Scott having never met him but the perception that I have of him makes me think that he would be the type of person that would give you a "you are lucky I'm taking the time to talk to you" kind of vibe.

I don't want to get too far off topic trying to respond to your post but the last thing that I can think to say is this:

I think you're absolutely right about Mark not being emotionally attached to Creed anymore, but the question that I have is that if indeed Flip and Brian are to an extent emotionally attached to the band why would they not sit down with Mark and tell him how they feel? I mean after all they're all adults, it's unreasonable to think that there is any fear between these guys, so why not talk to him about it. The way my thought process is working is, the same three guys that make up the musical portion of Creed are also the musical portion of Alter Bridge, therefore they are around each other no matter what project they choose to be in. I would think that if Brian or Flip had any issue with Mark that it would manifest itself in the form of resentment which would in turn cause problems in Alter Bridge.

So I don't disagree with anything you say, that is just a question that I ask myself when I think about the situation.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

In 2009, here is what Stapp had to say about his 2nd solo album :
I'm not really thinking about that right now," he says. "It would be irresponsible for me to think about anything but Creed. This band is my first love and a first love that's stood the test of time. It's not hard to step away from any kind of personal agenda when you are totally fulfilled.
Irresponsible. i didn't say it. He did.
In his mind, he probably thought the guys would react the same way about AB, and he felt betrayed when they went to record ABIII. Why is that ? Because problems were not adressed and put under the rug instead.

Publishing his book was a also a big mistake. That's the last thing you should do when your band has barely reunited. He should have waited another 10 years.

To answer your question about Brian and Flip, here is my take : they know Mark is the boss. They are friends with him, but ultimately, he's the one who's gonna decide whether he wants to spend more time with AB or Creed. They are not the leading forces of AB or Creed, and they're fine with it.
It's a bit reminiscent of the Metallica situation, with 2 leaders and 2 guys who are a bit more low key. Here is what Metallica's frontman had to say about his bass player :
Him and Kirk are very good at sitting at the back seat and Lars and I drive, wherever we gonna go. And it takes a certain kind of person to trust that
I think that it's the same in AB and Creed. Brian and Flip are good at their job, but they try and avoid drama, and just go with the flow. Confronting Mark is the last thing they wanna do, because if they confront him, he may fire them from BOTH bands. Brian was a big mouth back in 2000, and we all know what happened to him... Just don't mess with your boss !

TremontiFan4Life
Hardcore TABN'er

I can see where you're coming from, I guess in a way that would make the band less of a democracy. Still maybe it's just me but I find it hard to believe that you need to have such differing roles. I understand about wanting to avoid drama (I'm one of those type of people myself) but I believe that there is a difference between trying to challenge Mark and having an honest discussion with him. One where all three guys could sit down and have an honest discussion about how they feel, where theoretically Brian and Flip could simply voice their opinion and say "I would really enjoy working on a Creed album if it works for you". There are ways to handle things in a civilized way without there being hostility, and with the guys having known each other for the better part of 20 years I can't imagine that there would be anything bad about having a discussion of that type.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Frankly, I don't know how Mark would react, but if I had to guess, I'd say Erock would have a better shot at convincing him to go back to Creed.
I'm not sure Mark would have toured with Creed so much since 2009 if Erock had not been in the band. In a way, he showed his "little brother" what it was like to play in big arenas all over the country.

TremontiFan4Life
Hardcore TABN'er

True

Marcos
Achilles

Post by Marcos »

Seriously, the best thing for Alter Bridge is for Scott Stapp to be successful in his next album, so they can put Creed to rest for good.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Them Bones wrote:Yeah I adore Creed, and thats one of the reasons I wish Creed had never reunited, cuz with the way these guys have tainted all that they did in the past is hilarious.
Nothing they're doing now has left near as bad a taste as that Chicago show did.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

AustinH22 wrote:wow Them Bones you really spend a lot of time writing intricate posts about a band that has members that don't give a damn about the same band you adore hahaha!
This.
Especially when he attacks someone for posting about someone COMPLETELY different who even his fellow fucking group mates have the same opinion on. Get outta here haha. Unbelievable stupidity. There's ways to handle situations, and thats not it. Disagreeing with me (and everyone else who apparently has my back) is fine, but going across the line like you keep doing...

nagpo
Burn It Down

Post by nagpo »

chtimixeur wrote:Brian was a big mouth back in 2000, and we all know what happened to him... Just don't mess with your boss !
In stapps book he actually gives better insight into what the situation was like when Brian left the band. Brian had a drug problem and was paranoid that stapp and mark were against him or something. Tremonti had enough of his bull and kicked him out.

nagpo
Burn It Down

Post by nagpo »

Marcos wrote:Seriously, the best thing for Alter Bridge is for Scott Stapp to be successful in his next album, so they can put Creed to rest for good.
The best thing for Creed would for Mark to actually care about it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

nagpo wrote: In stapps book he actually gives better insight into what the situation was like when Brian left the band. Brian had a drug problem and was paranoid that stapp and mark were against him or something. Tremonti had enough of his bull and kicked him out.
I'm not antagonizing or anything, but if Mark was really the one that kicked out Brian out of Creed, then why did Mark call Brian to be the bassist for AB? Why not bring that touring bassist for Creed, Brett Hestla, as the bassist for AB?

Something to think about in terms of lining up the stories and perspectives so that it makes sense.

I come bearing in peace with this post.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

chtimixeur wrote:In 2009, here is what Stapp had to say about his 2nd solo album :
I'm not really thinking about that right now," he says. "It would be irresponsible for me to think about anything but Creed. This band is my first love and a first love that's stood the test of time. It's not hard to step away from any kind of personal agenda when you are totally fulfilled.
Irresponsible. i didn't say it. He did.
In his mind, he probably thought the guys would react the same way about AB, and he felt betrayed when they went to record ABIII. Why is that ? Because problems were not adressed and put under the rug instead.
He was pretty thick if he thought Alter Bridge and his solo career were analogous. His solo efforts were essentially just trying to recreate Creed in all but name, whereas Alter Bridge was a deliberate effort to escape Creed. Of course he's going to prefer the real thing, the other three though had built their band up from scratch and were justifiably proud of it.

Really though, Stapp must be sick of Myles. He manages to pull off the long hair, sing brilliantly and avoid being a colossal douchebag, all at the same time.
Last edited by Ubik on Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For all of the hope that it brings...