So, Creed V's producer(s) are....

A place for all Creed discussion.
Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: So, Creed V's producer(s) are....

Post by Andy92 »

I'd agree that it is a catch 22. Everyone needs criticism in their work at some point because it makes things better. But I personally tend to take criticism easier from people I know have the knowledge/right to tell me what I could improve upon. If one of my professors at school tell me I could be doing a project more efficiently, I'll be sure to listen. If someone not in my field of study told me I was doing something wrong, I doubt I'd be quite as open to them. When you're in bands as big as Mark is, you have to take criticism from people you respect. If you don't, you'll fall under the pressure of trying to meet too many demands from too many people.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

Good point. But if he continuous to work with Elvis he won't get that authoritative feedback that the needs. That's the danger with working with the same producer. They get to comfortable. He should also be at least cognizant of how his fan base feels - all of his fan base, not just the "OMG!!! thats so amazing" people. A lot of people don't agree with that philosophy. I recognize that some would say 'let Tremonti do Tremonti'. But when 90% of your fans are having the same criticism, I think it should be addressed.

AlterBlade
White Knuckled

Post by AlterBlade »

psycosquirrel789 wrote:They are my least favorite band in that genre of rock. TERRIBLE live. That singer was acting like a douche the whole set. If Elvis makes good bands sound like shit I can't imagine what their record sound like. I'm not even curious to hear it.
This. I can't stand them at all. Spaceship makes me want to hurt infant orphans.
I still live.... #2024
Vote: AlterBlade

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

^ hahaha After having to endure them live, twice unfortunately, I won't even listen to a song. He said, "I'm gonna be honest with you motherfuckers, I'm just doing this shit for the pussy". Then he repeated that word 40 more times. After that, no thanks. And he can't even sing a solid note. Hurting infants sounds about right hahaha

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

They were a last minute replacement for Stone Sour at Rock on the Range in 2011. No thanks, I left early that year lol.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Definitely worst trade off ever.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Yeah...their drummer suffered from a mini-stroke at the time, so they were forced to cancel. Glad Roy got better soon, but that was a terrible last minute switch lol.

10topprs
Bought The CDs

Post by 10topprs »

Whatever happens with this record, I hope the old Creed sound DOES make a comeback... Kurzweg I think is the right producer to make that happen... I can't really understand having Elvis on this record if they're truly trying to get back to their roots... He's the one that helped steer AB in a different direction... I don't dislike what he does, but I do think he tends to overproduce a bit... far too much for a Creed record... They were a very raw band back in the day... that's why they were so good live, because they could sound just like the album... There weren't a million over-dubbs or guitar layers... the vocals weren't saturated with effects... Kinda glad they aren't bringing Howard Benson back... The last Creed album was eh... just wasn't Creed

AlterBlade
White Knuckled

Post by AlterBlade »

17 hours ago...
Mark Tremonti ‏@MarkTremonti
@Matt3Jonas Thanks man!Looks like the Creed tunes are going to be a combined effort with Elvis and Kurzweg!Just have to get label on board
Better Kurzweg than no Kurzweg at all.
I still live.... #2024
Vote: AlterBlade

Decay

Post by Decay »

chtimixeur wrote:Some of the best and the most awful news at the same time. :crazy
Elvis producing a Creed record absolutely ruins my hopes of a return to the real Creed sound. Seriously, this man should stick to modern rock and not mess with groove oriented bands. He just has no clue how to produce that kind of stuff.
Also, can't Mark understand his three projects need to sound different ? Will he also insist on bringing his metal influences into Creed's music (once again) ? :facepalm

Seriously, this completely bums me out, but I'm glad Stapp at least tried to convince the rest of the band about Kurzweg (my guess is that JK will only work with Scott for his vocal takes).
Couldn't agree more!
I don't wanna listen to Full Circle Pt. 2 aka AB's collection of (heavy) B-sides.

AustinH22
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by AustinH22 »

pumped

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I told Mark on twitter that having your 3 projects produced by the same guy may confuse fans (and by that I meant it would be sometimes quite hard to tell the difference between songs from a project to another, but hey, it's twitter, and it's only 140 signs). I also said kurzweg was definitely THE man for Creed.
He answered me and said "good sounding songs don't confuse folks".

For me, that says it all. Mark is not only "friends" with Elvis (he likes his advice and his quickness, which I can understand), but he's also convinced his output sounds great. :facepalm
I guess then there is no way Stapp could convince Mark about Kurzweg if he actually thinks Elvis' production is the best thing in the world.

Mark has been saying he liked Elvis because he was the first producer who didn't try to simplify songs ( :lol). Which means Kurzweg did the opposite in the Creed days, and Mark is probably still a bit afraid of losing control of his music after years of "artistic freedom".

Can you guys imagine a Creed record produced by Elvis ? Synthetic guitar sounds, no bass, do dynamics whatsoever, and some damn echo on Stapp vocals ? :humina

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I'm glad that Kurzweg is on board, which is cool considering alot of the fans have wanted him on board for a while. But, I'm pretty peeved that Elvis is back. He really destroys albums for me. Does Mark enjoy having his work sound limp, lifeless, compressed to hell, dynamic-less, over-produced? Echo on Stapp's vocals would sound horrible, I'm pretty much used to do with AB. It's sad that you can't listen to an AB song live without having those echos still in your head. The echo is way over-done on songs like Wayward One and Make It Right, it's ridiculous.

I lol'd at the "good sounding songs don't confuse folks". Mark's songs don't sound good to me, they sound like shit. I'm looking forward to hearing All I Was when I get it tomorrow, because it didn't sound as bad as BB or AB3, way too many effects on Mark's vocals though, from what I've heard.

I understand I've been very harsh on Elvis' work, and I expect some backlash, but this is all my true opinion, I really can't stand his work. Alter Bridge make good songs, but they sound like shit. My criticism of Elvis' work is not a criticism of Elvis personally, as I've never met him.

sumanth
Brand New Start

Post by sumanth »

I am definitely not a fan of Elvis' production. There are parts that sound really lifeless sonically. But after listening to a lot of the bands Elvis has worked with I think he helps the bands write good songs. I think he has a good ear for songs and definitely provides a good input as far as arrangements are concerned.

Production wise, totally different story. Most of you have already said what I wanted to. Vocals riddled with effects, excessive compression, etc.
Great to hear Kurzweg is back. More than anything I'd love Brian's bass work to be heard in the mix as it was in first two Creed albums. It might not be a complete return to the Creed sound but as an album on the whole I think it'll be better than Full Circle. I still don't understand why they even went with Howard Benson on that album.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

sumanth wrote:I am definitely not a fan of Elvis' production. There are parts that sound really lifeless sonically. But after listening to a lot of the bands Elvis has worked with I think he helps the bands write good songs. I think he has a good ear for songs and definitely provides a good input as far as arrangements are concerned.
He was perfect for Chevelle when they recorded Wonder What's Next, I'll admit that.

Now that I have time to think of it, I wouldn't mind if he was hired for pre-production, in order to help Mark arrange the songs. He'd be some kind of a coach, but please, don't let him touch a knob on the console board during actual recording. This is Kurzweg's job, and no one else's.

sumanth
Brand New Start

Post by sumanth »

chtimixeur wrote:
sumanth wrote:I am definitely not a fan of Elvis' production. There are parts that sound really lifeless sonically. But after listening to a lot of the bands Elvis has worked with I think he helps the bands write good songs. I think he has a good ear for songs and definitely provides a good input as far as arrangements are concerned.
He was perfect for Chevelle when they recorded Wonder What's Next, I'll admit that.

Now that I have time to think of it, I wouldn't mind if he was hired for pre-production, in order to help Mark arrange the songs. He'd be some kind of a coach, but please, don't let him touch a knob on the console board during actual recording. This is Kurzweg's job, and no one else's.
Completely agree with that. They can probably do the pre-production in Orlando with Elvis being some kind of a coach as you mentioned. Kurzweg should be the one handling all the details while recording and mixing. Just hope this happens though.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

"Great sounding songs don't confuse folks"

Really? I'm confused as fuck that he would even say that. I'm thinking maybe it sounds different on his multimillion dollar rig. Maybe in the studio with all those fancy speakers they don't hear it. He needs to throw on some regular folk headphones and experience all our confusion. Great sounding songs... hahahahah ugh.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I wanted to answer him, but I couldn't find his tweet just a few minutes after he had sent it to me (he must have deleted it, but I still have the email if you doubt the tweet ever existed). Anyway, I won't waste my time trying to convince him Elvis is not the greatest producer on Earth. It's all a matter of appreciation, and he's probably a fan of the super loud and ompressed sound (MANY musicians are). In the end, it's his decision, but I still don't it's the smartest thing to have your 3 projects sounding the same.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

How did I overlook this thread?? wow... this would be killer. I really hope WU allows it.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Hopefully Wind-up won't be like "Oh hey your band Alter Bridge has been doing pretty well, how about we bring that Elvis guy in alone? Kurzweg is old hat."

That would suck.