Mark Tremonti Sings Frank Sinatra

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Mark Tremonti Sings Frank Sinatra

Post by MaraCarr »

RevenantGB wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:17 pm I've listened to as many of these as I can find and the performances are great.

I totally Agree! I hope there are more shows like this! :) I saw one picture on social media that absolutely stole my heart, it was a pic from someone at the foundation. It was of Stella looking at her mom... Victoria... who is always so incredibly beautiful even when she doesn't try. The love and beauty on Stella's face is priceless. She loves her mom and her dad! She is so very blessed, as are they. :)

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Got the email that my order shipped this evening! Still will probably take weeks to get here from the US tho :lol :/

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

CD arrived today! About to listen. <3

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Wow, better than I even imagined. That low note in 'Wave' doesn't disappoint.

Love it. Congrats, Mark. And for such a wonderful cause. <3

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

'In The Wee Small Hours' is KILLER!

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Cant wait to listen to the iTunes previews tomorrow morning and then the full release later around 8-9pm :cloud9 :mtrocks :peace

They posted a little teaser of You Make Me Feel So Young on Instagram today about an hour ago. Mark sounds great!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CeAOjdxlaAW/

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Has anyone had a vinyl for this ship yet? I know of a few people receiving CDs but I was curious when they’d ship the vinyls.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

This wait is unbearable, I need to listen to Nancy (With The Laughing Face) damn it!
Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

RevenantGB wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:45 pm This wait is unbearable, I need to listen to Nancy (With The Laughing Face) damn it!
It's great, one of the best!

Weirdly 'Come Fly With Me' is the weakest for me. I love that song and the vocal is fine but the song is so iconic it feels wrong to hear anyone but Frank sing it. I kind of feel the same way about 'My Way.' Not in love with the arrangement or performance either. But these quibbles are in turn compliments - that Mark is able to hold his own on just about every track.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

He REALLY goes for it on 'That's Life' and it mostly works. Can't really half-ass that song and Mark DID NOT. :lol

'Wee Small Hours' might be the best vocal performance he's ever done. Bravo.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

Andy92 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:03 am Has anyone had a vinyl for this ship yet? I know of a few people receiving CDs but I was curious when they’d ship the vinyls.
I ordered Vinyl! I. Don’t have mine yet … sadly!

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

MaraCarr wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:22 pm
Andy92 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:03 am Has anyone had a vinyl for this ship yet? I know of a few people receiving CDs but I was curious when they’d ship the vinyls.
I ordered Vinyl! I. Don’t have mine yet … sadly!
Yeah I ordered vinyl as well, mostly just to support the cause, and it hasn't shipped either.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Just got the email from Tim. Unfortunately there was a problem with the pressing of the vinyl and they have to re-press it but it's nice of them to send out downloads via email. <3

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Some thoughts on my first listen through..

The low note in Wave almost sounds artificial/processed on the "gether" part every time and I dont know if its possible it was or if Marks really low notes just come out sounding that way naturally in a studio setting :lol :shrug But supposedly its an E2 or E♭2 which I never thought Mark could reach tbh but Im pleasantly surprised :lol

The rendition of My Way they chose actually turned out really beautiful. I was skeptical about it being reworked compared to the way Frank sang it because I'd hoped Mark would do it Franks Way :lol but it works nicely.

Admittedly it will take some time getting used to Mark trying to copy Franks pronouncing/enunciating and phrasing with his own tone versus Franks but Im sure I'll get used to it quickly enough :shrug There's a lot of parts that almost sound nasally when he tries to imitate the parts where Frank sings higher? I dont know how else to put it :lol

Early Favourites: I Fall In Love Too Easily, My Way, Wave, Nancy, In The Wee Small Hours of the Morning, The Song Is You, All or Nothing At All

Overall I'm very happy and grateful that we were blessed with a project like this from Mark. It's so great seeing how far he's come as a vocalist throughout his career from the chorus in My Own Prison to this :cloud9 And its great to get another side of Mark vocally to appreciate :mtrocks I sincerely hope this project meets all of Marks expectations for how well it performs :peace And bring on that Xmas album ;)

I wonder what Marks highest note is on the record if E2 or E♭2 in Wave is the lowest? I think its probably whatever he hits at the end of AONAA...

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

scarecrow wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:04 am Just got the email from Tim. Unfortunately there was a problem with the pressing of the vinyl and they have to re-press it but it's nice of them to send out downloads via email. <3
Just saw that too. Not a huge deal, just glad to hear an update. Cool of them to send the MP3s out as a replacement on release day.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

Early Thoughts

Arrangements
I'm very pleased with the arrangements, particularly with the songs that have been re-arranged. My Way is a completely new instrumental arrangement and as such hits differently. A personal highlight of the record for sure. Some of the songs have also been structurally changed from Sinatra's versions. For example Nancy, in comparison with the Columbia recording, has an additional chorus and mid section elongating the song. Wave has an extended guitar solo, and You Make Me Feel So Young also has an extended ending compared to the studio version, which is more in-line with Sinatra's live performances (which I always preferred). All this to say, the album has more than just artificial replay value for existing Sinatra fans.

I'm also surprised that some of the songs Mark chose to cover were arranged to replicate Sinatra's earlier work for Columbia and not later versions. For example, the version of All Or Nothing At All that we hear on this album is entirely based upon the 1939 arrangement and not the more popular 1966 recording (Sinatra recorded this song at least three times over the course of his career). Nancy is also arranged to replicate the 1945 Columbia recording and not the later 1963 or 1977 recordings. The same can be said of The Song Is You, which almost feels like an amalgamation of the 1942 and 1959 versions of the song. Was really hoping for Mark to hit the falsetto high note at the end, but alas you cannot have everything.

General Thoughts
I agree with Shea regarding Wave, the low note takes some getting used to :D It's not bad per-se, just sounds somewhat computerised. I also agree with respect to the pronunciation, I feel I'd have preferred it if Mark put his own vocal take/spin on these songs, but I concede this is nitpicking.

You Make Me Feel So Young is one of the best performances on the record. I loved the song anyway, but Marks voice really does it justice; when he sang "Man I just feel so.." at the end, I couldn't help but beam the silliest of childish smiles.

Nancy was an absolute thrill to listen to, Marks voice is silky smooth for this one. I really wished he had covered the 1977 Reprise version of the song (as that is my absolute favourite arrangement and also appears in the Sopranos :D ), but that is very much besides the point.

Marks best vocal performance for me personally is a toss-up between In The Wee Small Hours and Nancy, I really enjoy his softer approach during these songs. I've yet to formulate concrete thoughts on the rest of the album, but I can safely say all of the songs are enjoyable and I've very little criticism outside of personal preference.

Personal Favourites
You Make Me Feel So Young, Nancy, My Way, and I Fall In Love Too Easily.
Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

It's a shame this album/thread isnt getting more activity on this board on release day/weekend :/

I'm already used to the nasally tone I was referring to in my initial post so all is well in that department :D :lol

Showed My Way to a few internet friends and they enjoyed it and played the whole album for my mom and she enjoyed it :lol

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

The album has reached #1 in the Jazz Album Charts on Apple Music/iTunes for Canada, USA, UK from what I can see.