Marching In Time

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: Marching In Time

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I feel like making completely new threads for these kinds of things has kind of gone by the wayside as TABN activity shrinks or changes but I thought of the "The Little Things In (insert album here)" threads we used to do and thought of trying to come up with some for MIT....here's what I think are "little things" in MIT so far, whether they're harder to hear layers of a song or a little moment in the whole song that stands out.

1) The guitar slide in Thrown Further before the final riff (4:28)
2) The divebomb at the end of the Let That Be Us solo (4:12)
3) The higher pitched guitar or keys in the background of In One Piece before the chorus (for example; 1:55-2:00)
4) The higher pitched guitar in the background of the pre-chorus of In One Piece (for example; 2:00-2:09)
5) The higher pitched guitar or keys in the outro to In One Piece (3:45ish to 4:08)
6) The higher pitched guitar droning in the chorus of Under The Sun
7) The pick-scraping (if thats what it is? :lol) in the bridge of Under The Sun (3:15-3:38)
8) Erocks vocal in the mix behind the solo of Bleak (3:51 to 3:57)

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I want to make quickly clear that I don't claim to have the objective truth. I'm just sharing my opinion. I don't think 'discusion board' means 'discussing how flawless this band is'-board.

I've listened to every pretty much every Tremonti song he's put out in his career and while his solo project is not my favorite of his projects, I think he's managed to write some fantastic songs in it. I just think there's a shortage of those on this album.

I won't overflow this thread with negativity. Usually I try to focus on the good after writing my initial impressions, but when I state an opinion that isn't 100% positive, I at least try to substantiate it and have a conversation. That's got to be worth something, right? At least more than this:
bla*25
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

gbruin wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:24 am Not Afraid To Lose is the best Creed song in years and I love it.
What exactly makes this song a Creed song?

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I don't hear any resemblance with Creed in that song.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Honestly the album isn’t bad, but it’s nothing really new either.

I was hoping for maybe a song that was more lighter in tone. Like the One Day Remains stuff. Just something a little different.

All these heavy songs just kinda blur together.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

chtimixeur wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:55 pm I don't hear any resemblance with Creed in that song.
I can imagine Mr Stapp singing that opening lyric, but I don't hear much Creed beyond that.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

cheesedip1 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:42 pm I was hoping for maybe a song that was more lighter in tone. Like the One Day Remains stuff. Just something a little different.

All these heavy songs just kinda blur together.
The Last One of Us and Not Afraid to Lose are mainly the two on the album that are more mellow. A lot of the album is pretty heavy but it does have a few moments with more of a reprieve from that.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

gbruin wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:18 am
scarecrow wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:05 pm This guy gets it.

Edit: What the hell, why do YouTube embeds never work for me??
Leigh has become a good internet friend of mine. I hope everyone checks out and subscribes to his channel (Iridium Rock and Metal Reviews). He has TONS of really cool content on there. He also does a lot of requests if there's something you'd like him to review. Go support my mate!
I've watched a bunch of his Tremonti / AB videos now. Good stuff. Already subscribed!

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Crumbso wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:33 am PART 2:
Despite this change in style though, this album does feel like it has been worked on and refined to a point where things don't feel rushed. There's a lot of detail in arrangements and production that don't feel overdone or like a mess of overdubs. Some of the tones are spectacular (the clean/acoustic verse parts of Bleak, the beginning of the bridge for Let that Be Us and, the background guitars all throughout the Last One of Us) and there's a lot of work put into building atmosphere.

The production is still overly compressed and the bass drum, as usual, is massively overpowering but this is one of Elvis's less intrusive jobs, much like ADM and Fortress. I'll take it.

In terms of songs. Most of the songs are very listenable. There is only one properly disappointing song on this list and that is In One Piece. The chorus with the stops just totally kills the song for me. It's cheesy and stops the momentum of the song dead, every time. It's a shame too because the solo and bridge are absolutely killer. The chorus might grow on me though.
Agree with everything here except In One Piece, that chorus is easily my favorite thing about the song. :lol

It's very Human Clay. One of a handful of Creed-ish moments on this album. I'm glad he's not shying away from that sound anymore.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

What a blast. Caught a pick and my ole lady got a setlist. How we always manage to get stage setlists is beyond me. Front row for Tremonti and Metallica tonight. We made it into a pro shot photo….

Edit set was short. Only 7 songs.

Another heart
Waste your time
Thrown further (second time played mark said)
If not for you (was the best song, perfect)
Monkeys
A dying machine
Wish you well

Edit people who didn’t know Tremonti really were digging Flying Monkeys

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

Thrown further

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

scarecrow wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:15 pm
Crumbso wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:33 am In terms of songs. Most of the songs are very listenable. There is only one properly disappointing song on this list and that is In One Piece. The chorus with the stops just totally kills the song for me. It's cheesy and stops the momentum of the song dead, every time. It's a shame too because the solo and bridge are absolutely killer. The chorus might grow on me though.
Agree with everything here except In One Piece, that chorus is easily my favorite thing about the song. :lol

It's very Human Clay. One of a handful of Creed-ish moments on this album. I'm glad he's not shying away from that sound anymore.
It may well grow on me. I remember feeling the same way about 'Make it Right'. I thought it was borderline unlistenable when I first heard the chorus but I ended up really like it after time to listen.

On the Creed reference. I did notice there are a lot more fingerpicked clean elements spread throughout the record and they do feel 'vintage Tremonti' so that's cool.

The one thing I hope that Mark brings from this record and into the next AB record is that they took the time to really refine material so that it doesn't feel disjointed. AB's approach to lack of time in recent albums appears to be just throw a million overdubs at the song to keep it interesting, rather than depending on the quality of the song to carry it through.

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

Anyone heard the Tremonti interview with Eddie Trunk that was on a couple of days ago? I don't have a siriusxm subscription and I can't find a copy anywhere.

Lenishere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Lenishere »

Scarecrow, this is for you! Haha

I would like to chime in with my thoughts on the album - both on an individual song level, and my thoughts on the album as a whole. I won't go too long winded, but I will try to cover my overall thoughts.

I'll just say this upfront. It's maybe a bit too early to say, but this is up there as one of Tremonti's (the band) best albums. I'm not sure yet if it's the best (I know that's not objective for me to say but when I say best I mean favorite LOL). The variety, the powerful vocals, the twists and turns all make this one easily one of the best for me. It's not to say there aren't faults - but I'll get to that.

Let's start track by track:

A WORLD AWAY: Great song, and a great opener. It immediately hits you in the face, but still builds up and sets you up for what will be an experience. For me, the chorus took a couple listens to click with me, but I ultimately ended up liking it.

NOW AND FOREVER: Alright, I'm seeing a lot of people complaining about the chorus on this one, saying it's too commercial - but honestly I don't see it. It just feels like a catchy, melodic chorus. I feel like Tremonti has a lot of choruses that feel similar. But I guess if you feel that way about those songs too, then I guess I get it. This one really meant a lot to me personally, so maybe that might be a bias - I've dealt with some traumatic things this year and this song really hits me in the feels. I love this one.

IF NOT FOR YOU: I like pretty much all the songs on this album, including this one - but I'll be honest - this one is probably my least favorite. It feels the most generic and the lyrical themes don't really feel like they belong on this album. It just feels out of place. That being said, it's a catchy, commercial song that has gotten some attention, so I can't complain.

THROWN FURTHER: This is another one that had a chorus that needed to grow on me at first, but now it is one of my favorites. I love the vibe of this one. The drumming feels very unique to a lot of Tremonti songs. The guitar as well. Not a lot else to say. Good song.

LET THAT BE US: One of my favorites on this album - I agree with others saying the same. The chorus is absolutely incredible. Super catchy, very melodic, and inspirational. Very upbeat and well written.

THE LAST ONE OF US: Out of the two ballads, this one feels like the weaker one for me. That doesn't mean it's not a great song though. The song would just be okay/good if not for the second half with that incredible bridge that leads directly into and improves the last chorus. It transcends the song.

IN ONE PIECE: Yeah, I think the chorus here lyrically is ALMOST cheesy, I can agree with that criticism, but it is still very good musically to me. The rest of the song stands out a lot for me too. The solos are great, and I love the vocals in the outro that Mark does.

UNDER THE SUN: This is one of the weaker ones to me, but I still like it. The chorus just doesn't grab me like other songs, nor are the verses as memorable as others on this album. The fact that this one feels unique compared to the other ones though is also to it's benefit. I find the lyrics interesting as well.

NOT AFRAID TO LOSE: Easily one of my favorites as well. This one is just beautiful. Amazing vocal performance from Mark, and beautiful lyrics. Very relatable to me and emotional. Bridge is awesome - and ends perfectly. This is one of Tremonti's top ballads for me along with Unable to See.

BLEAK: I like the unique style of this one, but I find the chorus a bit generic and weak for me. I like the song a lot overall, but if there was one I get the urge to want to skip more than others, it's probably this one.

WOULD YOU KILL: Very heavy, and features Mark's more aggressive vocals the most prominently on the album. The chorus is unique to me while also being catchy. And the bridge is immense. A perfect way to end before the final epic track.

MARCHING IN TIME: This is his magnum opus. Right here. Best song on the album, and probably one of Mark's best written songs in general. Lyrically it speaks to just about everyone in these trying times, and really hits you in the feels. It does for me definitely. I felt like he was talking directly to me - telling me to never lose hope or give up what makes me myself in the face of adversity. I was in awe when I first heard this one. Perfect album closer.

I really feel overall that the musicality, lyrics, and vocals really shine on this album. It's top tier. I know some people here don't like the type of choruses on this album - but I'm a big fan of super catchy, very melodic choruses - so that might be why they click for me. I can truly see myself listening to these songs over and over again, some more than others or course. I know though that I'll never forget this album and what it meant for me. And not every album can do that. That's all I will say for now.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Crumbso wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:05 am
scarecrow wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:15 pm
Crumbso wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:33 am In terms of songs. Most of the songs are very listenable. There is only one properly disappointing song on this list and that is In One Piece. The chorus with the stops just totally kills the song for me. It's cheesy and stops the momentum of the song dead, every time. It's a shame too because the solo and bridge are absolutely killer. The chorus might grow on me though.

It may well grow on me. I remember feeling the same way about 'Make it Right'. I thought it was borderline unlistenable when I first heard the chorus but I ended up really like it after time to listen.

On the Creed reference. I did notice there are a lot more fingerpicked clean elements spread throughout the record and they do feel 'vintage Tremonti' so that's cool.

The one thing I hope that Mark brings from this record and into the next AB record is that they took the time to really refine material so that it doesn't feel disjointed. AB's approach to lack of time in recent albums appears to be just throw a million overdubs at the song to keep it interesting, rather than depending on the quality of the song to carry it through.
I think Make It Right is the best example of how a "disjointed" song can be good. That chorus was such a shock the first time I heard it and loved it immediately. I agree it doesn't work as well on other songs though.

1000% with you on the hope for the next AB record though. I've been saying for years that I want them to take a rest and make the best record possible, even if it means not maintaining the 3 year cycle. They already announced earlier this year they'd be back in the studio 2022, which isn't a great sign. Like, make it when you have enough music ready, don't force yourselves to put out album just because!

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

WaywardOne wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:21 am 1000% with you on the hope for the next AB record though. I've been saying for years that I want them to take a rest and make the best record possible, even if it means not maintaining the 3 year cycle. They already announced earlier this year they'd be back in the studio 2022, which isn't a great sign. Like, make it when you have enough music ready, don't force yourselves to put out album just because!
I'd also prefer a quality over quantity approach. With Myles having 3 projects now, we're getting approximately 36 songs from him every three years, sharing 12 with Mark's 24 songs over 2 projects (if he's not writing double albums...)

With that in mind, it's actually quite impressive how high the quality of the music is. If they'd write 50% of that, that would still be a lot compared to other artists, and I think it would help making each album sound more distinguishable. Of course, it would also filter out the fillers.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Think I've firmed up my takes on the tracks now, other people have gone nicely in depth elsewhere so I'll keep it short (just ordered by track number inside each group)

Great:
Thrown Further
Marching in Time

Very good:
A World Away
Let That Be Us
Under the Sun
Bleak
Would You Kill

Decent listen:
If Not For You
The Last One of Us
In One Piece

Meh:
Now and Forever
Not Afraid to Lose

Kinda interested to see whether I'll agree with these when I inevitably come across this post when Tremonti 2024 is building up to release.
For all of the hope that it brings...

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Lenishere wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:40 am Scarecrow, this is for you! Haha

I would like to chime in with my thoughts on the album - both on an individual song level, and my thoughts on the album as a whole. I won't go too long winded, but I will try to cover my overall thoughts.

I'll just say this upfront. It's maybe a bit too early to say, but this is up there as one of Tremonti's (the band) best albums. I'm not sure yet if it's the best (I know that's not objective for me to say but when I say best I mean favorite LOL). The variety, the powerful vocals, the twists and turns all make this one easily one of the best for me. It's not to say there aren't faults - but I'll get to that.

Let's start track by track:

A WORLD AWAY: Great song, and a great opener. It immediately hits you in the face, but still builds up and sets you up for what will be an experience. For me, the chorus took a couple listens to click with me, but I ultimately ended up liking it.

NOW AND FOREVER: Alright, I'm seeing a lot of people complaining about the chorus on this one, saying it's too commercial - but honestly I don't see it. It just feels like a catchy, melodic chorus. I feel like Tremonti has a lot of choruses that feel similar. But I guess if you feel that way about those songs too, then I guess I get it. This one really meant a lot to me personally, so maybe that might be a bias - I've dealt with some traumatic things this year and this song really hits me in the feels. I love this one.

IF NOT FOR YOU: I like pretty much all the songs on this album, including this one - but I'll be honest - this one is probably my least favorite. It feels the most generic and the lyrical themes don't really feel like they belong on this album. It just feels out of place. That being said, it's a catchy, commercial song that has gotten some attention, so I can't complain.

THROWN FURTHER: This is another one that had a chorus that needed to grow on me at first, but now it is one of my favorites. I love the vibe of this one. The drumming feels very unique to a lot of Tremonti songs. The guitar as well. Not a lot else to say. Good song.

LET THAT BE US: One of my favorites on this album - I agree with others saying the same. The chorus is absolutely incredible. Super catchy, very melodic, and inspirational. Very upbeat and well written.

THE LAST ONE OF US: Out of the two ballads, this one feels like the weaker one for me. That doesn't mean it's not a great song though. The song would just be okay/good if not for the second half with that incredible bridge that leads directly into and improves the last chorus. It transcends the song.

IN ONE PIECE: Yeah, I think the chorus here lyrically is ALMOST cheesy, I can agree with that criticism, but it is still very good musically to me. The rest of the song stands out a lot for me too. The solos are great, and I love the vocals in the outro that Mark does.

UNDER THE SUN: This is one of the weaker ones to me, but I still like it. The chorus just doesn't grab me like other songs, nor are the verses as memorable as others on this album. The fact that this one feels unique compared to the other ones though is also to it's benefit. I find the lyrics interesting as well.

NOT AFRAID TO LOSE: Easily one of my favorites as well. This one is just beautiful. Amazing vocal performance from Mark, and beautiful lyrics. Very relatable to me and emotional. Bridge is awesome - and ends perfectly. This is one of Tremonti's top ballads for me along with Unable to See.

BLEAK: I like the unique style of this one, but I find the chorus a bit generic and weak for me. I like the song a lot overall, but if there was one I get the urge to want to skip more than others, it's probably this one.

WOULD YOU KILL: Very heavy, and features Mark's more aggressive vocals the most prominently on the album. The chorus is unique to me while also being catchy. And the bridge is immense. A perfect way to end before the final epic track.

MARCHING IN TIME: This is his magnum opus. Right here. Best song on the album, and probably one of Mark's best written songs in general. Lyrically it speaks to just about everyone in these trying times, and really hits you in the feels. It does for me definitely. I felt like he was talking directly to me - telling me to never lose hope or give up what makes me myself in the face of adversity. I was in awe when I first heard this one. Perfect album closer.

I really feel overall that the musicality, lyrics, and vocals really shine on this album. It's top tier. I know some people here don't like the type of choruses on this album - but I'm a big fan of super catchy, very melodic choruses - so that might be why they click for me. I can truly see myself listening to these songs over and over again, some more than others or course. I know though that I'll never forget this album and what it meant for me. And not every album can do that. That's all I will say for now.
:yeahthat

:cheers

prowler5150
Brand New Start

Post by prowler5150 »

Is anyone else still waiting for their Tremonti store pre-order?

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

all right, fuck it. ordered both the best buy exclusive and the tremonti store exclusive.

****Edited to add a reminder about sharing copyrighted music and that it’s a no-no here. Don’t do it. Or you’ll be banned. - TABN Admin****