Marching In Time

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Re: Marching In Time

Post by Blackbirddd »

CrowsOnAWire wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:10 am
Blackbirddd wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:50 am I think I'm in love with the riff and rythim of Thrown Further

Edit: What's up with Let That Be Us verses? I personally think they're pretty bad...
Edit 2: Ok to be fair they're not BAD, but after that big intro and before that great chrous it really feels like meh...?
I personally love the Let That Be Us verses, they have that aggression and chug before you get into the really uplifting, melodic chorus.
Yeah I think my problem it's with the vocals

TayUmSwift
Brand New Start

Post by TayUmSwift »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:17 am Alright, I know I said I wasnt going to do this but my will power is weak af and MajorSnowMilk on YouTube is the real MVP because he's uploading reactions to the whole record and I already listened to Thrown Further and will probably listen to the rest of the album early this way.. :lol :/

HOLY FUCKING SHIT THROWN FURTHER SLAPS SO HARD WITH THAT MAIN RIFF :headbang AND THAT BRIDGE WAS :cloud9 Loved the solo's on this track! :peace THAT OUTRO :headbang

Let That Be Us really just slams you on your ass with that intro oh my :headbang :lol And the bridge section of the song is killer with that build up to the belting vocals :cloud9 The rest of the track is pretty much what I expected with the iTunes preview and Interview clip and I already know what an amazing solo it has :cloud9 :mtrocks Nice to also finally hear that outro riff in better quality. This song really doesnt let up at all :lol Definitely still one of my faves from the record

Love the vibes from everything in The Last One Of Us. Its almost got a chill feelgood vibes to it which I dont think I can really compare to any other Tremonti song sonically. Thoroughly enjoyed it. And I really liked hearing that instagram clip in this song for the outro! Really nice! :cloud9 :peace

Nice heavy riff intro for In One Piece :rockon The verse riff is killer :cloud9 Loving the higher pitched intricacies in the mix throughout the song. Chorus might be a grower but the rest of the song is great. I initially envisioned a much more aggressive vocal approach to the chorus when I first read the lyrics :lol . Decent solo :rockon Loved the way Mark sang out "But you're mine!" in the outro and another banging outro riff to bookend the song with some muffled sounding drums which was different!

Oooh I like that intro to Under The Sun! Instantly caught my ear, Marks vocals sound so good in this song like I mentioned in the previous post. Again the dynamics of the vocal deliveries throughout the song are really nice! :cloud9 The transition in the middle of the song around 2:10ish was jarring at first, I had to rewind it and make sure It didnt skip/glitch for me :lol The bridge was alright but I definitely feel like the chorus is the highpoint of the song. Outro was abrupt but I dig the vocals at least :lol

Love the clean/bright sound of the guitar in the intro of Not Afraid To Lose :cloud9 Marks vocals are so beautiful and the message of the song is just as much. The melody of the verses and chorus are so good! I said this in the previous post but I seriously think this might be my favorite Tremonti ballad now. Nice bridge melody and delivery! If I got lost enough in the song I could see myself shedding a tear tbh :lol :eek :cloud9

HOLY SHIT THE INTRO TO WOULD YOU KILL IS SO ABRUPT I LOVE IT :headbang Marks vocal tone in the verses are so aggressive it sounds fucking amazing. :cloud9 I still cant get enough of that chorus melody and vocal tone, its definitely gonna be stuck in my head :mtrocks :lol The riffs on this song are so massive :cloud9 :headbang Enjoyed the slow build up in the bridge to that first solo and the solo didnt disappoint :rockon Nice solo and riffage to close out the song. :rockon

Interesting FX for the intro to Bleak. I like the usage of acoustic guitar on this track as opposed to always just pure electronic. Marks vocals really are at the forefront of this song. They really do elevate it to another level. Especially in the chorus :cloud9 :mtrocks I mentioned already how I thought this was my least favorite song of the new ones but Its already starting to grow on me and I like this more than INFY, AWA, and NAF already. THAT HIGH NOTE. :cloud9 Didnt mind the effects on the vocals as much as I thought I might, it adds diversity to the song. Enjoyed the bridge! Decent shredderrific solo and banging outro :headbang

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

http://getrocked.net/tremonti-marching- ... um-review/
Tremonti – Marching In Time | Album Review
September 23, 2021

The last 18+ months have been difficult on pretty much everyone, but one might argue that adversity can sometimes produce the best art. I’d say that is potentially the case with Tremonti’s latest offering Marching In Time. Due to drop tomorrow on Napalm Records, Tremonti’s fifth album may just be the salve on much of our collective frustrations.

Just like A Dying Machine before it, Marching In Time can surely be considered a concept album with a lot to say about the present state of the world. But while reflection is to be expected, where I think Mark Tremonti truly delivers here is his ability to prove that he is not just a rock and metal guitarist. From the high-octane opener of “A World Away” to the soft ballad “Not Afraid To Lose,” Tremonti showcases incredible vocal range and outstanding growth as a band.

Produced by steadfast collaborator, Michael “Elvis” Baskette, Marching In Time is a hard rock album leaning heavy on cathartic sing-along melodies and beautiful songwriting. Clocking in at just 59 minutes, Marching In Time can feel a little short at times, but the replay-ability is ridiculously high. I’ve had the album on a semi-permanent loop for the past couple of weeks and with each listen, my appreciation grows. It is just that damn good.

Sure, there are stand-outs, but let’s face it, there are really no skippable songs here. And as for faves, I definitely find myself returning to “If Not For You,” “Let That Be Us”, “Would You Kill” and the seven-minute title track “Marching In Time” as the major melodic earworms on this album.

On a whole, as someone who’s appreciated Mark Tremonti’s work since the days of Creed, I’m absolutely thrilled with this newest offering. It’s such a perfect balance of the heaviness Tremonti has become known for, with the melodic songwriting often found in Alter Bridge. I can’t wait to hear some of these songs on the live stage.

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

Finally listened to the album a couple of times through, can safely say the wait was well worth it.

I'm surprised not many people enjoyed Under the Sun! Really appreciated how unpredictable it was initially, and the melodies are very pleasing. Thrown Further is an absolute belter made incredible by the chorus and bridge, and I may as well add to the many voices who are praising Let That Be Us lol. Definitely one of the best songs on the album. Also a little stunned by how much I resonated with Not Afraid to Lose.

Somewhat underwhelmed with Bleak (which I was most looking forward to unfortunately), but I've no doubt it'll click eventually. Current favourites are Let That Be Us, Not Afraid to Lose, Thrown Further and In One Piece.

Have enjoyed reading all your opinions!
Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

https://distortedsoundmag.com/album-re ... -tremonti/

ALBUM REVIEW: Marching in Time – Tremonti
September 23, 2021

With a career now on the verge of spanning some three decades, there are few guitarists to have had as big an impact in contemporary rock music as Mark Tremonti. Initially rising to prominence with CREED, and later hitting even loftier heights with ALTER BRIDGE, it came as little surprise to many when in 2012 the virtuoso guitarist decided to spread his wings even further and bring to life an eponymous side-project known as TREMONTI. Debut album All I Was soon arrived to critical acclaim, and he’s followed it up with a spread of increasingly impressive records in the years since, culminating in previous release, the conceptual masterclass A Dying Machine. Now, presumably having had a lot of extra free time over the last 18 months or so thanks to a certain worldwide crisis, he’s back with a new effort entitled Marching in Time.

For the most part, Marching In Time sees TREMONTI doing exactly what you’d expect by this point in their career, with much of the album’s runtime taken up with punchy, arena-ready hard rock anthems that err towards the heavier end of the guitarist’s sonic palette. Opener A World Away starts off with foreboding machine-gun drum stabs, before launching off into an immediately anthemic mid-tempo stomper of a track that somewhat sets the tone for things to come. If there’s one thing Tremonti has always done well throughout his entire musical career, it’s penning these exact kinds of huge anthems. Marching In Time is once again absolutely stacked with them, with the likes of If Not For You, Thrown Further and the catchy-as-hell Let That Be Us all merging an arsenal of catchy riffing with an obvious knack for huge vocal melodies that’s long been a welcome element of TREMONTI as a project. Tracks like Bleak and Thrown Further continue to display this hard-rock songwriting nous, with the latter in particular sounding absolutely thunderous thanks to yet another stellar production job from Tremonti’s regular collaborator Michael ‘Elvis’ Baskette.

Not quite everything’s relentlessly heavy though, as evidenced by a number of tracks spread across the album’s second half. Mid-record power-ballad The Last One Of Us kicks things off, dialling everything back slightly for an affecting showcase of the more tender side of Tremonti’s vocal abilities. Gradually ramping up as time goes on, the song of course culminates in a deliciously flashy guitar solo, but it’s one that feels completely fitting for the tone of the record so far. It’s joined by fellow lighters-in-the-air moments Under The Sun, and most effectively, Not Afraid To Lose which triumphantly rattles along in a manner akin to many of ALTER BRIDGE’s slower moments (at one point breaking down into a lick that’s double-take-inducingly similar to Blackbird). This one easily serves at the record’s best slower moment thanks to a powerful and impassioned vocal delivery.

Perhaps the record’s sole more progressively-leaning moment comes with its final moments in the form of closer and title-track Marching In Time. Clocking in at some seven and a half minutes and essentially a song of several distinct sections, this number sees TREMONTI getting the closest to A Dying Machine’s more expansive leanings. It alternates stylistically between heartfelt ballad and uplifting rock anthem, and indeed excels at both, with beautifully foreboding clean guitar tones in the softer sections suddenly punctuated by the repeated bursts of heaviness containing one of the album’s most uplifting choruses. Is it maybe a touch over-indulgent as a closer with the record already within touching distance of an hour by this point? Well, yes, but barring the closing two minutes of typically flashy soloing, there’s not really much you’d probably want to trim down, and the sheer emotion packed into the song’s different movements is enough to carry it through as a solid conclusion.

That Marching In Time is another great record in Mark Tremonti’s back catalogue really shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone familiar with his work. What might shock however, is that in shedding the wholly conceptual skin of its predecessor in favour of generally more individualised songwriting, Marching In Time succeeds arguably even more than both A Dying Machine and perhaps the rest of the TREMONTI catalogue in producing some of the very best songs that the guitarist has released as a solo artist to date. Barely a moment is wasted across the 12 songs on offer here, and the array of brilliant musical moves, both anthemic and heavy, across the hour or so you’ll spend in this album’s company are sure to both further delight existing fans and draw curious new listeners in within just a few listens.

Rating: 8/10

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

definitely some days of the new / tantric vibes on the last one of us, which is pretty interesting. i shouldn't like that in 2021 but i do lol!

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Shea, have you tried switching the country in your Spotify account/profile? Worked for me.

Edit - Hmm, think this may only work with a VPN on.
For all of the hope that it brings...

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Ubik wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:13 pm Shea, have you tried switching the country in your Spotify account/profile? Worked for me.

Edit - Hmm, think this may only work with a VPN on.
Nope I haven't tried that, Ubik. I dont really use Spotify anymore and I dont have a VPN either so :lol

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

https://rocknloadmag.com/news/tremonti ... um-review/

TREMONTI // MARCHING IN TIME // ALBUM REVIEW

10/10

Tremonti is back with a brand-new kick-ass album “Marching In Time”, a heavy rock/metal offering that raises the bar for the genre.

From the opening of “A World Away” you know you’re in for a treat with its heavy chugging riffs, thumping drum and bass beat that grabs you right from the off, Tremonti’s melodic vocals playoff against the speed and power of the music really well and sets the tone for the rest of the album. “Now And Forever” comes in heavy as hell but groovy AF with a funky riff and drum beat that runs throughout and will have you up bouncing all over the place, the guitars are, as one would expect from Tremonti, amazing, added to this are his excellent vocals; the heaviness is superbly offset by the melodic giving you one of the best tracks on the album. “If Not For You” bursts into life, after a subdued intro, with a seriously kicking drum beat and chunky riff as Tremonti comes in over the top of them with some stunning vocals, the solo and drum combo at the end of the song is unbelievable, a cracking track. “Thrown Further” is a bass-thumping, drum pounding, riff-laden fast-paced beast that will get the blood pumping no end, a kickass track. “Let That Be Us” opens up like a speed metal track that rips big time, the pace is frenetic but evenly tempered with Tremonti’s cool melodic vocals, the drums are blistering as a funky bass line rumbles on in the background while the guitars are savage, another contender for track of the album.

“The Last One Of Us” is a slower affair with nice softly strummed guitars and an easy drum beat rising to a crescendo at the mid-point that plays through to the end with a brilliant solo thrown in. “In One Piece” kicks it back up a notch or two with a manic drumbeat and grinding riffs, there is more of an edge to Tremonti’s vocals as he kind of growls them out, the chorus lifts the song slightly before the grind comes back in, a nice change of pace with the heaviness. “Under The Sun” is in a similar vein to the previous track with its heaviness but not with the same edge and less harsh vocals. “Not Afraid To Lose” has Creed written all over it; soaring vocals, strummed steel-string guitars, crashing drums et al, Tremonti’s voice is really powerful on this track and as the song intensifies so do his vocals, a truly immense track. “Bleak” is anything but; a song with massive drums, thick bass and killer riffs that propel the song from a meek opening to a beast of a track with a ripper solo at the end. “Would You Kill” brings the speed with cutting riffs, hammering drums and really strong vocals, another killer track! The title track and closer “Marching In Time” is a masterclass in musicianship, over seven minutes long with more ups and downs than a rollercoaster, from soft drumming and guitars at the start to the brilliant chorus’ to the intricate breakdown midway through to the rousing guitar solo that brings the song home, Tremonti saves, arguably, the best for last.

What more can you say other than Tremonti has really outdone himself.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Would You Kill fucks. Love that track.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

After getting to know all the new songs well, I finally did a full album playthrough start to finish. Yup. Tremonti's best album to date. Maybe even between all his bands. Idk about that yet though, will take many many more listens to do a fair comparison on that. It's just so complete, I feel completely musically satisfied. Every song truly stands out on its own. Well done Mark!

Edit: I should say well done Mark and the guys, because everyone killed it on this album.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

I've been listening to the album for most of 3 days now and don't have a bunch to add after what's already been said...but I will add a bunch anyway.

This is a great Tremonti album, overall better and already more memorable for me than A Dying Machine (for me, a very good album that sort of tried too hard) and has some moments that stand close to of his masterpieces like The Things I've Seen, Decay, Cauterize, Sympathy, Unable To See, Take You With Me. Time will tell if any particular song elevates to those levels (Not Afraid To Lose is the leader right now) but the overall quality on this album is maybe the best of his five so far. Every song has something great to offer.

The thing that sounds a bit weird to me and which happens a bunch of times on the album is the juxtaposition of some unbelievably fantastic heavy thundering thrash intro riffs that then morph into beautiful soaring almost arena rock quality choruses. Both by themselves are so good, but they sort of sound funny squished together in the same song. Now and Forever starts out like Slayer and then the verses and chorus are more Bon Joviesque - both parts are great but it's a weird mixture and it just sometimes sounds too forced. Let That Be Us starts out like classic Nevermore with machine gun drum riffs and a solo that just fucking slays, but which also has to one of the catchiest choruses in the history of sound. Contrast those songs to If Not For You (mainstream) or Thrown Together (hard rocking) or In One Piece (metal) or Under The Sun (ballady) which have a very consistent tone throughout and makes the song more whole and mature to me. Now this is just this particular d-bag's opinion, and it doesn't make the product any better or worse. But I'd love for a song like Let That Be Us to keep that opening tempo and grit from start to finish, just to have a place to sort of mentally fit it in one place.

Mark is in a tough spot. We all know and appreciate his love for his thrash roots and he can write and play a brutal riff just as well as Jeff Loomis, but he is just so so uniquely good at writing vocal melodies and his voice has become so amazing and smooth and dynamic that the verses and choruses can't help but be beautiful, which means they aren't ever going to maintain that same level of heavy and power and brutality in the intro/outro riffs. It's hard to serve two masters. Fortunately, Mark is so good at both that it still works, even when it does sound a little schizophrenic.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Marshall
White Knuckled

Post by Marshall »

There seem to be 2 bonus tracks out there:

- Forgive Myself (BestBuy Limited Green Vinyl)
- Walking Beside Me (Tremonti Store Limited Vinyl)

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Oh FFS enough with the limited vinyl bonus tracks :lol I swear these tracks better be made available to purchase online somehow :rolleyes Thanks for the heads up tho :lol

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

gbruin wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:01 pm I've been listening to the album for most of 3 days now and don't have a bunch to add after what's already been said...but I will add a bunch anyway.

This is a great Tremonti album, overall better and already more memorable for me than A Dying Machine (for me, a very good album that sort of tried too hard) and has some moments that stand close to of his masterpieces like The Things I've Seen, Decay, Cauterize, Sympathy, Unable To See, Take You With Me. Time will tell if any particular song elevates to those levels (Not Afraid To Lose is the leader right now) but the overall quality on this album is maybe the best of his five so far. Every song has something great to offer.

The thing that sounds a bit weird to me and which happens a bunch of times on the album is the juxtaposition of some unbelievably fantastic heavy thundering thrash intro riffs that then morph into beautiful soaring almost arena rock quality choruses. Both by themselves are so good, but they sort of sound funny squished together in the same song. Now and Forever starts out like Slayer and then the verses and chorus are more Bon Joviesque - both parts are great but it's a weird mixture and it just sometimes sounds too forced. Let That Be Us starts out like classic Nevermore with machine gun drum riffs and a solo that just fucking slays, but which also has to one of the catchiest choruses in the history of sound. Contrast those songs to If Not For You (mainstream) or Thrown Together (hard rocking) or In One Piece (metal) or Under The Sun (ballady) which have a very consistent tone throughout and makes the song more whole and mature to me. Now this is just this particular d-bag's opinion, and it doesn't make the product any better or worse. But I'd love for a song like Let That Be Us to keep that opening tempo and grit from start to finish, just to have a place to sort of mentally fit it in one place.

Mark is in a tough spot. We all know and appreciate his love for his thrash roots and he can write and play a brutal riff just as well as Jeff Loomis, but he is just so so uniquely good at writing vocal melodies and his voice has become so amazing and smooth and dynamic that the verses and choruses can't help but be beautiful, which means they aren't ever going to maintain that same level of heavy and power and brutality in the intro/outro riffs. It's hard to serve two masters. Fortunately, Mark is so good at both that it still works, even when it does sound a little schizophrenic.
mark has always been open about loving all kinds of music (i'm the same way - some of the artists i've obsessed over the past few years include tool, hall & oates, run the jewels, the strokes, and the weeknd) and that's maybe my favorite thing about him. increasingly defying genres and being able to seamlessly blend metal with his pop sensibilities. i understand it's not for everyone but it is SO for me.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

in one piece is sneaky good, i think i slept on it initially

DCooper727
TABN.com Citizen

Post by DCooper727 »

scarecrow wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:21 pm in one piece is sneaky good, i think i slept on it initially
In One Piece/Under the Sun are two awesome songs that seem to be slipping right past people.

Also, are lyrics up anywhere? I've had the physical CD since Monday, but I'm really lazy and don't wanna type them into Music Bee.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

DCooper727 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:23 pm In One Piece/Under the Sun are two awesome songs that seem to be slipping right past people.

Also, are lyrics up anywhere? I've had the physical CD since Monday, but I'm really lazy and don't wanna type them into Music Bee.
https://www.azlyrics.com/t/tremonti.html

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

okay now i will attempt to rank the tracks!! maybe the first tremonti-related album ever that i don't feel compelled to skip at least one track. :eek

12. Bleak
11. If Not For You
10. Would You Kill
9. Under The Sun
8. In One Piece
7. Thrown Further
6. The Last One Of Us
5. Now And Forever
4. Not Afraid To Lose
3. Let That Be Us
2. A World Away
1. Marching In Time

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

maybe it's because i've been through a lot the last few months and it felt like those top 2 songs were speaking directly to me, but they already feel like such permanent musical forces in my life. like i've always known them. it's a strange, wonderful feeling.

(marching in time came out right after i lost my dad. and then a month later when i was making a stressful, unexpected move, a world away dropped. it was almost spooky.)
Last edited by scarecrow on Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.