Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Marching In Time

Post by scarecrow »

double post

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

scarecrow wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:33 pmi just never connected with any of the conspirators stuff. bought the first record. listened to the others. didn't make any real impression on me. would much rather listen to the mf4 records.
Fair enough.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

C'mon y'all...... I finally got to listen to this many times. I literally had that "it clicked" moment with each song. Same with the first singles. My advice is give every song multiple listens. This is the perfect Tremonti record. It checks all the boxes for me.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

I thought Not Afraid to Lose clicked for me, until it REALLY clicked for me. What a song to get lost in the melody to. I don't even miss there not being a solo in it anymore.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I really cant wait until tomorrow to finally be able to hear the record after 3 years of waiting :lol :dance I'm gonna wake up and immediately go to iTunes to listen to all the new previews available and then give my first impressions in here and then I'll just have to wait until 7:30ish for the autogenerated YouTube videos to go live and then I'll be set for my first listen :peace :rockon :lol

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

iTunes has been giving me the business lately, and not downloading my music until midnight. Where, in the past, it would download at 9:00 pm because it was midnight on the East Coast.

So I have to wait until Friday to fully listen. Not a problem, new job keeps me extremely busy. But I'm in the same boat as Shea, 3 years of waiting... I'm really pumped.

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

AB4Lyfe wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:39 pm FOR THOSE WHO HAVE HEARD "BLEAK":

How was it? Need details.
One of my favorites at the moment. Didn’t really give it the time at first but it’s been on repeat. Starts out with a brooding guitar part into “Just like your father, cruel just like the day is long.”

Love the lyrics too.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

I'm convinced that 'Let That Be Us' was designed to be a show-closer. If it isn't the final song when the guys are touring Europe then I'll be very surprised.

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

After a few more listens, this album could well be Tremonti's best. Each song gets better with repeated listens.

Only one small disappointment for me is that Under The Sun could really have done with a solo. It's a flawless song except for that. Some songs do just fine without one, but the vibe and mood of the song is so good and is crying out for a particular type of solo that would have just been the icing on the cake.

However, being a huge fan of guitar solos it's good that there are only 2 songs on the album that don't have one. That was one bug bear for me with Walk The Sky - about half of that album didn't have one, and they tended to be short.

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

https://www.metaltalk.net/tremonti-marc ... rpiece.php
TREMONTI / MARCHING IN TIME IS HOW TO FOLLOW A MASTERPIECE
23 September 2021

Tremonti unleash fifth studio album Marching In Time in a climate of uncertainty, disconnect and an incredible longing for brighter days.

Tremonti – Marching In Time (Napalm Records)

Release Date: 24 September 2021

Words: Dany Jones

Mark Tremonti immediately springs to mind when you think of attributes such as incredible talent, focus, drive, determination, resilience, and of somebody you would class as an absolute role model. While it seems a while away that that wide-eyed, ambitious teenager dreamed of shredding his way in the pursuit of dreams of world domination, nowadays, the Tremonti brand has become an unequivocal household name.

Not only has Mark Tremonti established himself as an exemplary leader and motor of internationally acclaimed mega weights of the calibre of Creed, Alter Bridge, and his incrementally prolific self-titled solo project Tremonti, but he has also managed to achieve true royalty status when winning the No. 1 spot as the ultimate guitarist in the 2019 Guitar World Magazine Top 20.

The Tremonti machine is relentless with regular yearly cycling between Alter Bridge and Tremonti releases, let alone occasional side projects during downtime. 2021 marks the year of the Tremonti band and the birth of their fifth studio album.

This time the once familiar ambience and moodiness give way to a newfound rawness, evoking primordial tinges of rock and Metal classics yet maintaining a contemporary and polished sounding production. Needless to say, that Tremonti has always championed the mixing of Thrash with melody and Marching In Time delivers on all fronts.

The album unfolds with the explosive A World Away, already released as a third single. A fantastic opener indeed, with a steady and sleazy pace on the verses and quicker reprise on the choruses, engorging the listener in all of its sheer brutality from the very start. Now And Forever follows as one of those instant songs that certainly call for the classic foot tap/head bob all the way through. Memorable and catchy, the main riff and the breakdown on the outro are simply colossal.

If the epitome of epic is the word, then If Not For You is simply it. One does never tire of hearing Friedman’s high pitched flawless acrobatics on the choruses, while Thrown Further throws us back into the full groove, phat riffs and down tuning loaded with moodier and grunge-tastic tones. The breakdowns are aplenty throughout this album, and this one is particularly sexy.

The departure of drumming extraordinaire Garrett Whitlock has determined a true loss of invaluable assets to this outfit. One could not help but wonder how affected the overall sound would be once the new material was released. However, his successor Ryan Bennett has managed to seamlessly transition by imprinting his very own style and forming a very solid unit with fellow rhythm lord Tanner Keegan, also added to the line-up as the new official bassist.

Bennett superbly shines in the bombastic and fastest track of the album Let That Be Us. The tribal beat on the bridge throws chills so deep down the spine to make you quiver for days while it all gets beautifully finished with a helluva killer solo, courtesy of the master himself. This song is the heaviest of the album and by far the most impressive.

The contemplative The Last One of Us finds a new atmospheric bubble as a litany to Mark’s unborn child, while In One Piece picks up the pace with more riffing galore. Worth of particular mention is also Under The Sun. Melancholic, emotive and incredibly intense in all of its staggering sobriety. Then the inevitable radio-friendly Not Afraid To Lose, whose profound lyrical content elevates the artist to new levels of depth.

The album unwinds with a welcome curveball, where Bleak explores the uncharted territory of the dissonance of Spanish modal undertones. The addition of a nylon string guitar further enhances the dynamics and, once again, the climax of a meaty breakdown on the outro. The controversial Would You Kill certainly lends itself as a contentious topic of conversation, while you couldn’t conceive any other ending if not a progtastic 7+ minute-long odyssey.

Feeling the weight of his newfound fatherhood in times of extreme apprehension, it does not seem coincidental that the artist would want to exit with a song that delivers a powerful message to posterity. Marching In Time is a compendium of heavy and prog, loaded with anguish, darkness and a sense of hopelessness and fatigue about the world we live in, “I am worn, and I am tired,” yet with an equally uplifting message of strength, integrity and resilience “don’t let this cold world change you.” An exemplary lesson indeed to any father speaking to their child.

Stunningly arranged and indelible, it is not a case that it was chosen as a single.

The album Marching in Time is varied and multifaceted. Perhaps to the detriment of the coherence that was readily apparent in Tremonti’s back catalogue, it is rather a compendium of 12 works of art, easily standing alone in their own right, yet offering a perfect balance of groove, tones, heaviness, memorable hooks and, above all, words. It is such diversity that perfectly delivers the various moods and colours of a brutally honest, stark and introspective outlook on the state of the world of today.

If Tremonti’s fourth studio album, A Dying Machine, marked the apex of maturity in terms of a sophisticated and refined sonic search, Marching In Time truly delivers on the accomplishment of the artist as a true songwriter.

Here, Tremonti’s vocal ability reaches new heights, and the focus truly shifts onto the melody and the depth of the lyrics, especially given lines of the likes of “I am not ashamed of the scars that define me.”

A Dying Machine was dubbed the band’s career-defining achievement, and anything that followed would need to be nothing short of extraordinary. Marching In Time is indeed the answer to the question of how to follow a masterpiece.

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

https://brutalplanetmag.com/tremonti-marching-in-time/
TREMONTI: “Marching In Time”(BPM Review)
September 22, 2021 Alan Ronson

Mark Tremonti is like the King Midas of music. Everything he touches turns to gold. He has won a Grammy Award, has had numerous albums become certified multi-platinum, has been named “Guitarist of the Year” multiple times by Guitar World Magazine and is a machine when it comes to writing incredible music. What started as a solo project ten years ago, has now become just another success story in his long list of accolades. The band, Tremonti (Mark Tremonti- lead vocals/lead guitar, Eric Friedman-rhythm guitar/backing vocals, Ryan Bennett- drums, Tanner Keegan- bass) which is aptly named after its founder, will be releasing their fifth studio album, “Marching In Time,” on September 24 through Napalm Records.

The album opens with the heavy build of “A World Away.” I absolutely love this song as it consistently plays with the harmonics of the guitar fretboard. Even if you don’t know much about guitars (like me) you will hear what I’m talking about when you listen to this song. It’s heavy, yet playful. The song was released as the album’s third single on August 31 and has received positive reviews. The music video (below) features the band playing together live- although not in front of a crowd. Still, the fact that this was filmed live shows the incredible talent of the band.

“Now and Forever,” keeps the intensity moving, but has a very melodic feel to it. It is a very catchy tune, and like every song Mark plays, the riffs and solos are out of this world. The first single released from this album was “If Not For You” with the song’s official music video having been released on July 22. This is a memorable song- both musically and lyrically. The transition to the bridge has a riff that is sure to please the ears of any metal fan that likes fingers flying on a fretboard. “Thrown Further” follows with an upbeat thrash rhythm, killer solos, and wailing vocals.

“Let That Be Us” and “Not Afraid to Lose” are songs with positive and uplifting tones, while “In One Piece” and “Would You Kill” are faster-paced and are sure to please the fans who prefer the heavier side of things. The two songs that are slower and more intimate are “The Last One of Us” and “Not Afraid to Lose.” I really enjoyed the diversity on this album. These four musicians know how to craft a well-balanced album- taking the listener on a ride of ups and downs, through heavy riffs and slower ballads, yet never leaving a track empty of a ridiculous solo. The album ends with the album’s title track, “Marching In Time.” This closer is stretched out at over seven and a half minutes, however, it doesn’t feel like a drag at all. Although not quite up to par with Alter Bridge’s “Blackbird,” (one of my favorite songs of all time) “Marching In Time” could be categorized in the same musical vein and is, in my opinion, one of the best songs on the album.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock the last 25 years, you know how incredible of a guitarist Mark is, but one of the things I love most about this band is that Mark also performs the lead vocals. Sure, he has done backing vocals in his other bands, and his voice has sounded great, but he has never taken the opportunity to really show off his vocal talent to this magnitude until Tremonti was born a decade ago, and he only seems to get better with each new album. Tremonti is a band worth paying attention to. It’s not just a side band. These guys are the real deal and they know excellency. “Marching In Time” parades exemplary musicianship in an era of ordinary metal.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Okay, everything seems to be up on kiwi youtube except for Bleak for some reason. I'm gonna plunge in and hope that turns up somewhere as I go.
For all of the hope that it brings...

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Alright, I haven't heard the full album yet, but from the 90 seconds iTunes snippets my early impressions after a couple listens for fave to least fave of the new songs are;

Let That Be Us: Feels good to finally hear that chorus in high quality and I love the groove of the verse in this preview after the chorus plays. Great vocals by Mark. Have no doubt this whole song will be a highlight of the record now.

Not Afraid To Lose: Holy cow, I was not expecting a song like this from Mark. Everything sounds beautiful in this preview. From Marks vocal delivery to the acoustic guitars and the vibe of the rest of the sound. Might take the spot as my favorite Tremonti ballad if the rest of the song is that good.

The Last One of Us: Another slow sounding song with an amazing vocal delivery from Mark in the preview. Really like the vibes this preview is giving me, hope the rest of the song lives up to it.

Would You Kill: Liking the riff the preview started with. And the chorus melody surely sounds like one that will get stuck in your head after repeated listens. The part after the chorus has a great riff and Marks vocal delivery throughout the whole song once again is my favorite part.

Under The Sun: A calmer sounding vocal and then the band kicks in and it amps it up a notch and the chorus adds another notch both in vocal delivery and instrumental wise throughout the preview. Liking the dynamics there. Marks vocals and melody are the highlight of the preview but I do dig the instrumentals.

In One Piece: Groovy riffage throughout this preview and a lot of other sounds going on in the mix that add a nice flavor to it. Like the delivery of Marks vocals yet again.

Thrown Further: Interesting instrumental in this preview with the rhythm and the higher pitched guitar line over it. Might be a grower but the preview didn't grab me *as much* as the others. Have no doubt it'll still be a good song. Marks vocals are a constant highlight for these tracks so far

Bleak: This might be another grower for me but because it's on the bottom, doesnt mean I hate it or dislike it. When it comes to Tremonti solo, any song on the bottom is still better than it looks :lol. Marks vocals sound great, especially in the chorus and the melody is fine.

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

The second half of Would You Kill is phenomenal. There's an instrumental section that has a killer vibe, which then leads into the first solo, back to the chorus and then a blistering 2nd, outro solo.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Dan Dando wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:33 am I'm convinced that 'Let That Be Us' was designed to be a show-closer. If it isn't the final song when the guys are touring Europe then I'll be very surprised.
I think it's the pace and uplifting chorus, but it gives me Down To My Last vibes even though it doesn't really sound like it or anything. I'm still finding awesome little intricacies on each of the songs, so glad we're all finally starting to get to hear all these songs!

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

CrowsOnAWire wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:00 am The second half of Would You Kill is phenomenal. There's an instrumental section that has a killer vibe, which then leads into the first solo, back to the chorus and then a blistering 2nd, outro solo.
Agreed. So glad the hear the rest of your guys opinions finally!

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Was a bit underwhelmed on first listen. I think there's only so much chugga chugga chugga you can comprehend in a relatively compressed span of time, and there was a lot. Two listens in now and it's getting there, wasn't an instant connection but then neither were Walk the Sky or Ides of March and I love both of those now. I've got a couple of three-hour train journeys coming over the weekend so it'll definitely get plenty of sinking in time.

Will say that people are sleeping on Thrown Further, that is a REALLY cool song. Under the Sun - keeps the rumble going right through the chorus and all the better for it. Bleak - love that verse, chorus comes a little out of nowhere but still enjoying it a lot.

With the title track, I think I may be developing some of Timo's epic cynicism, but that chorus melody pulled me through it. Insanely good hook.

Also, will someone confiscate that telephone voice effect from Mark and Elvis? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

I think I'm in love with the riff and rythim of Thrown Further

Edit: What's up with Let That Be Us verses? I personally think they're pretty bad...
Edit 2: Ok to be fair they're not BAD, but after that big intro and before that great chrous it really feels like meh...?

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

Blackbirddd wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:50 am I think I'm in love with the riff and rythim of Thrown Further

Edit: What's up with Let That Be Us verses? I personally think they're pretty bad...
Edit 2: Ok to be fair they're not BAD, but after that big intro and before that great chrous it really feels like meh...?
I personally love the Let That Be Us verses, they have that aggression and chug before you get into the really uplifting, melodic chorus.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Alright, I know I said I wasnt going to do this but my will power is weak af and MajorSnowMilk on YouTube is the real MVP because he's uploading reactions to the whole record and I already listened to Thrown Further and will probably listen to the rest of the album early this way.. :lol :/

HOLY FUCKING SHIT THROWN FURTHER SLAPS SO HARD WITH THAT MAIN RIFF :headbang AND THAT BRIDGE WAS :cloud9 Loved the solo's on this track! :peace THAT OUTRO :headbang

Let That Be Us really just slams you on your ass with that intro oh my :headbang :lol And the bridge section of the song is killer with that build up to the belting vocals :cloud9 The rest of the track is pretty much what I expected with the iTunes preview and Interview clip and I already know what an amazing solo it has :cloud9 :mtrocks Nice to also finally hear that outro riff in better quality. This song really doesnt let up at all :lol Definitely still one of my faves from the record

Love the vibes from everything in The Last One Of Us. Its almost got a chill feelgood vibes to it which I dont think I can really compare to any other Tremonti song sonically. Thoroughly enjoyed it. And I really liked hearing that instagram clip in this song for the outro! Really nice! :cloud9 :peace

Nice heavy riff intro for In One Piece :rockon The verse riff is killer :cloud9 Loving the higher pitched intricacies in the mix throughout the song. Chorus might be a grower but the rest of the song is great. I initially envisioned a much more aggressive vocal approach to the chorus when I first read the lyrics :lol . Decent solo :rockon Loved the way Mark sang out "But you're mine!" in the outro and another banging outro riff to bookend the song with some muffled sounding drums which was different!

Oooh I like that intro to Under The Sun! Instantly caught my ear, Marks vocals sound so good in this song like I mentioned in the previous post. Again the dynamics of the vocal deliveries throughout the song are really nice! :cloud9 The transition in the middle of the song around 2:10ish was jarring at first, I had to rewind it and make sure It didnt skip/glitch for me :lol The bridge was alright but I definitely feel like the chorus is the highpoint of the song. Outro was abrupt but I dig the vocals at least :lol

Love the clean/bright sound of the guitar in the intro of Not Afraid To Lose :cloud9 Marks vocals are so beautiful and the message of the song is just as much. The melody of the verses and chorus are so good! I said this in the previous post but I seriously think this might be my favorite Tremonti ballad now. Nice bridge melody and delivery! If I got lost enough in the song I could see myself shedding a tear tbh :lol :eek :cloud9

HOLY SHIT THE INTRO TO WOULD YOU KILL IS SO ABRUPT I LOVE IT :headbang Marks vocal tone in the verses are so aggressive it sounds fucking amazing. :cloud9 I still cant get enough of that chorus melody and vocal tone, its definitely gonna be stuck in my head :mtrocks :lol The riffs on this song are so massive :cloud9 :headbang Enjoyed the slow build up in the bridge to that first solo and the solo didnt disappoint :rockon Nice solo and riffage to close out the song. :rockon

Interesting FX for the intro to Bleak. I like the usage of acoustic guitar on this track as opposed to always just pure electronic. Marks vocals really are at the forefront of this song. They really do elevate it to another level. Especially in the chorus :cloud9 :mtrocks I mentioned already how I thought this was my least favorite song of the new ones but Its already starting to grow on me and I like this more than INFY, AWA, and NAF already. THAT HIGH NOTE. :cloud9 Didnt mind the effects on the vocals as much as I thought I might, it adds diversity to the song. Enjoyed the bridge! Decent shredderrific solo and banging outro :headbang