A Dying Machine Novel Discussion (SPOILERS)

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

A Dying Machine Novel Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by WaywardOne »

Hey all, I pre-ordered the book awhile back but finally just got around to finishing it, so I wanted to start a separate thread for those who have read it (and hopefully not spoil anything for people who haven't).

I admittedly wasn't sold on the story for about the first half, but the second half had me hooked! Not only was it much more interesting, but it seems like almost all references to songs on the album don't happen until later in the book too. I assumed I knew what all the songs referred to, but I was actually really surprised by a few - especially As The Silence Becomes Me. Turns out it's from the point of view of Rhapsody, not Brennan, which has a big impact on the song for me (not necessarily in a bad way).

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: A Dying Machine Novel Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Andy92 »

The book really doesn’t hit its stride until part two. I thought it was a good read overall. There were enough surprises in it to keep me interested. I had heard Mark mention in an interview before the story came out that the book was about a programmed machine that murders her lover, so that took a bit of the impact out of that scene for me. :lol Still thought that was a very well written section though and it made for a good story. I like where the book turns out to really be Stella’s story. It opens up as Brennan’s story, but after a while you realize he’s just setting up the bigger picture of an artificial intelligence creation “becoming human.”
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Well said. The First The Last feels kind of odd as a ballad-type song after reading it's context. Like, literally right after she desecrates his dead wife's corpse, throws its head at him, and then brutally strangles him. How nice :lol

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Lol yeah I think the song is more impactful than the book in that regard. The only rationale for it was that whole sequence showed Stella in so much rage that when Brennan actually was gone, it flipped a switch in her. Being an AI, she behaved much more erratically.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Does anyone know what Desolation was about?? I was really excited to learn about it from the book but it wasn't clear to me.