A Dying Machine Novel Pre-order/Discussion Thread

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: A Dying Machine Novel Pre-order/Discussion Thread

Post by facelessman07 »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:Just finished the novel. A great read! Not sure how much of it was Mark or Shirely but for the most part it was hard to tell their writing styles apart for me, not sure if thats good or bad :lol :mtrocks

Being someone who almost never reads books these days, this was one of the first books I've willingly read in years, but it was an extremely easy read for the most part. Im pretty sure I did see some grammatical errors, spelling mistakes and missing words, though. So maybe they should have had someone look it over once more :eek But nothing is perfect! :peace So it didnt take any enjoyment from the experience, its just an observation I had.

I'll try not to spoil anything but I will say that from what I could understand from reading the book, it was hard for me to see where a lot of the songs from the album would actually take place in the book save for maybe 3 or 4. The rest I have no clue :/ :lol There was passages or sentences in the book that had almost the exact same wordage as the lyrics from songs so that was cool.

I wish the novel was a tad bit longer as the 300~ pages did feel rather short.

The A Dying Machine universe was fleshed out really well throughout the book and I found myself wishing a lot more that the album had a more fleshed out theme to it as well. Despite any negative reception It might have received for being too invested in the concept by some.

I'm still giving the book a strong 9/10 though :peace

#TEAM VESSELKIND
Does the novel leave room open for a sequel?

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

facelessman07 wrote:Does the novel leave room open for a sequel?
:headscratch To be honest Im not sure :lol You could probably make a sequel out of anything it just depends on where he wants to take the story if he continues it.

Sorry I know thats a shitty answer but I really dont want to spoil anything and I also kind of forgot how the book ends at the moment. :lol

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

It was probably a whole lot easier for Mark to sign all the cards and for the publisher to insert them into the books rather than to have all the books delivered to Mark (or Mark to go to the printers) to sign the real things. This way was probably a lot faster for delivery, too. If...IF...Mark ever plays in my time zone, I would likely take the book along and have him sign the title page which is traditionally where authors sign.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

gbruin wrote:It was probably a whole lot easier for Mark to sign all the cards and for the publisher to insert them into the books rather than to have all the books delivered to Mark (or Mark to go to the printers) to sign the real things. This way was probably a lot faster for delivery, too. If...IF...Mark ever plays in my time zone, I would likely take the book along and have him sign the title page which is traditionally where authors sign.
That’s not a bad idea. Could try to bring the physical book to a show sometime in the future. Having it signed on the title page would be cool.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Merinda
Sig Queen

Post by Merinda »

I've almost finished the book. Seeing some of the lyrics written in it is pretty cool!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Merinda wrote:I've almost finished the book. Seeing some of the lyrics written in it is pretty cool!
I’ve got 100 pages left to read, but I thought about this when I read the chapter that mentions traipsing through the woods. :lol

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I still hope to be able to rearrange the tracklist of the album at some point to flow with the book but Its a daunting task :/ :lol

Merinda
Sig Queen

Post by Merinda »

Andy92 wrote:
Merinda wrote:I've almost finished the book. Seeing some of the lyrics written in it is pretty cool!
I’ve got 100 pages left to read, but I thought about this when I read the chapter that mentions traipsing through the woods. :lol
And drawing a line, painted with blood, in the sand. :D
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:I still hope to be able to rearrange the tracklist of the album at some point to flow with the book but Its a daunting task :/ :lol
Bringer Of War would definitely not be at the start lol.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Merinda wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:I still hope to be able to rearrange the tracklist of the album at some point to flow with the book but Its a daunting task :/ :lol
Thats pretty much as far as I got last time with the rearranging :lol

Also, I want to try connecting the characters to the songs too since now there's characters and names revealed (I.e - Who's perspective is the song from and who the other character is if more than character is in the song, etc.)

Merinda
Sig Queen

Post by Merinda »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
Merinda wrote:

Also, I want to try connecting the characters to the songs too since now there's characters and names revealed (I.e - Who's perspective is the song from and who the other character is if more than character is in the song, etc.)
I can kinda guess who's perspective for some of them but I don't want to say because I don't want to spoil the book for anyone lol :fingerwag

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Merinda wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
Merinda wrote:

I can kinda guess who's perspective for some of them but I don't want to say because I don't want to spoil the book for anyone lol :fingerwag
Say it anyways :lol :D I wish there was a place to discuss this SPOILERS and all :/

Merinda
Sig Queen

Post by Merinda »

Should we start a read thread? 0_0

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Merinda wrote:Should we start a read thread? 0_0
You can if you think its best Min :D Otherwise I would probably just keep it in here and be inconsiderate of those who havent finished or caught up :lol :/ :eek

Merinda
Sig Queen

Post by Merinda »

I would but I can be patient lol.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Ssooo I also got two books today! Is that a EU thing/mistake?

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Check your packing slip (Europe has one of those right regarding shipping packages?) and see if your order matches what you received.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

So maybe our orders got mixed up. I’m still missing my 2-book-order. Did not get a shipping message and the Fret12-mailaddress just does not respond to my queries untill now !?

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I’ve seen like 10-15 people on Facebook in Europe receive 2 books by mistake lol

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

and I actually paid for 2 and did not get them (untill now) !?

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

You know. For once, I would just like for AB or an AB-related band to release something non-album related and not have any issues at all when it comes to the final delivery. Please. These are good men, great musicians. It shouldn't be hard to ask for.