“A Dying Machine” Listening Party Thread

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
abw1987
Blood Machines

Re: “A Dying Machine” Listening Party Thread

Post by abw1987 »

Mr. Slash wrote:So this will be Mark's heaviest album so far? Well, looking at the 3 released singles this is kinda hard to believe.
I don't think so. Have the guys claimed it would be? I know bands always say their newest album is their heaviest yet!, but in this case I don't think it is. At least not in terms of being the most metal or whatever.

Of course there are fast drums, chugging riffs and gallops galore... but there is also a good amount of softer or more atmospheric material. It may be the heaviest if you're talking about the power of the melodies or the depth of the subject matter, but I wouldn't say it's the most hardcore heavy metal raaawwwrrrrrrrr–

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Also thanks @AHart96 for the detailed write-up! I had a similar thought about "Found" reminding me of Breaking Benjamin's intros/outros, and totally agree that "Bringer of War" should remain as a show opener – that song really amps up the crowd. Glad you mentioned that Mark called out his wife as the model for a lot of the artwork – I know there was speculation about that but cool to see it confirmed finally.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

So nice to see you guys all had a great time at the LP. Sounds it was worth the money. Any news over there concerning the novel ? Release date and packages ?

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

No mention of the book.

I felt like they had the volume way too loud for the album. Mark’s voice had the helium sound like 3-4 songs in for me.

My favs were: Throw Them To The Lions, The Day When Legions Burn, A Lot Like Sin, From The Sky.

I dig the faster, heavier songs like Cauterize.

The First The Last was a ballad type song.

Found was instrumental, almost like an outro for the album. I remember either and interview or album review mentioned a song with a sound that sounded like a sound a dying machine would make. I wonder if it’s this song.

There was one or two songs that had a finger picking guitar style like what you hear in Providence. Don’t remember which ones.

As The Silence Becomes Me was not what I was expecting by just reading the title. Thought it’d be heavier for whatever reason.

I can’t wait to get my copy of the album so I can really take it in start to finish like a concept album. I couldn’t make out any lyrics cause it was too loud so that made that part difficult for me.
Photobucket cash grab.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

Oh and some of those effects on the drums and stuff in the beginning of the songs, reminded me of Submersed.
Photobucket cash grab.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I guess when they turned the volume up to 11 they accidentally added an extra 1 at the end :lol Cause everyone is saying how loud it was! :lol Obviously louder than the Dusterize LP? :/ At least no one fiddled with any rigs or anything mid-song like last time right? :D

JPSCHULZ82
Brand New Start

Post by JPSCHULZ82 »

Ryan wrote:No mention of the book.

I felt like they had the volume way too loud for the album. Mark’s voice had the helium sound like 3-4 songs in for me.

My favs were: Throw Them To The Lions, The Day When Legions Burn, A Lot Like Sin, From The Sky.

I dig the faster, heavier songs like Cauterize.

The First The Last was a ballad type song.

Found was instrumental, almost like an outro for the album. I remember either and interview or album review mentioned a song with a sound that sounded like a sound a dying machine would make. I wonder if it’s this song.

There was one or two songs that had a finger picking guitar style like what you hear in Providence. Don’t remember which ones.

As The Silence Becomes Me was not what I was expecting by just reading the title. Thought it’d be heavier for whatever reason.

I can’t wait to get my copy of the album so I can really take it in start to finish like a concept album. I couldn’t make out any lyrics cause it was too loud so that made that part difficult for me.
I'm in total agreement on the volume Ryan. It made it hard to enjoy. I like my music loud but not to the point where I want to put my hands over my ears. After having two days to reflect I am anxious to hear it all again. It was certainly a fun night and I thought the live performance was well worth admission price.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

The live show was indeed worth admission. Love seeing them there, aside from the small stage cause they can’t move around as much lol.

Also, the more I think about it, maybe it was Traipse that wasn’t what I expected just off the title (and the lyrics we could make out from the teaser shot of the poster).

And yes, at least no one messed with the rig during the album listening portion :lol
Photobucket cash grab.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Ryan wrote:Oh and some of those effects on the drums and stuff in the beginning of the songs, reminded me of Submersed.
Weird... there's no connection between Tremonti and Submersed... :P

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

Loved the lyrics to Found!
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

TurningStones
Brand New Start

Post by TurningStones »

Anybody who went to the listening party have one of these? I'd love some photos of the entire poster and its artwork.