Tremonti pt #4 - A Dying Machine

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
chtimixeur
On The Rail

Re: Tremonti pt #4

Post by chtimixeur »

Right now, I couldn't care less about a new Tremonti album.
The weird thing is I enjoyed Dust more than I thought I would, but the album had no replay value after a few weeks : I haven't played it since its release, and I don't plan on doing so in the next few years.
I guess Mark has released too many similar albums since 2007, and it now all feels like a big blur.
I'm bored with his formula, I'm bored with his sound, I'm bored with his solos. Everything sounds the same after a while.

Unless he makes a huge change (which we know won't happen), I won't bother following the writing and recording sessions.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

My thoughts exactly. There was a huge development between ODR and Blackbird but there has been nothing special ever since.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.... but you two are so wrong! :lol

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

Dead wrong

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

chtimixeur wrote:Right now, I couldn't care less about a new Tremonti album.
The weird thing is I enjoyed Dust more than I thought I would, but the album had no replay value after a few weeks : I haven't played it since its release, and I don't plan on doing so in the next few years.
I guess Mark has released too many similar albums since 2007, and it now all feels like a big blur.
I'm bored with his formula, I'm bored with his sound, I'm bored with his solos. Everything sounds the same after a while.

Unless he makes a huge change (which we know won't happen), I won't bother following the writing and recording sessions.
Don't forget we've had to listen to you bang on about him not progressing since 2007 also! That also blurs into one after a while :lol

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Crumbso wrote:

Don't forget we've had to listen to you bang on about him not progressing since 2007 also! That also blurs into one after a while :lol
Haha :D
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Timotheus wrote:
Crumbso wrote:

Haha :D
It's kind of like he's been writing one long post for 10 years!
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

Strange to take it here all the time. Plenty of other places for just Creed-crying !

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I'll shut up when he does something original and stop relying on the same old and tired formula on every song he releases. He's stuck in his little comfort zone and refuses to take any risk.
Whether you believe it or not, I'm rooting for the guy, because I know he has an amazing potential.
Same for Myles and Stapp.
And guess what ? With Art of Anarchy, Stapp has just done what I hoped he would do for years : he's taken risks and done something new.
Mark should take notice.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

It was a joke. Lighten up mate. :cheers

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Fortress was way out of his comfort zone compared to AB III and his first solo album. Fortress was a pinnacle in a series of (indeed) same-ish sounding albums. All the albums that came after kinda took Fortress as their main inspiration or reference I think, just like the albums after Blackbird took that album as its inspiration. The new Alter Bridge album will hopefully set a new tone.

I have no idea what's so risky about Scott releasing music with Art of Anarchy. He's found a bunch of great musicians who are willing to work with him. That's like the opposite of a risk after all he's been through (Proof of Life including). And let's be honest, it's not like the music is that risky either.

As for Tremonti IV, I can't say I'm that excited, because that project really is starting to become a matter of quantity over quality. The lack of Wolfie doesn't excite me either.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

chtimixeur wrote:I'll shut up when he does something original and stop relying on the same old and tired formula on every song he releases. He's stuck in his little comfort zone and refuses to take any risk.
Whether you believe it or not, I'm rooting for the guy, because I know he has an amazing potential.
Same for Myles and Stapp.
And guess what ? With Art of Anarchy, Stapp has just done what I hoped he would do for years : he's taken risks and done something new.
Mark should take notice.
I felt like almost completely ditching the wah pedal and legato runs in his solos was a perfect example of getting out of his comfort zone. Also, starting an entirely new band, becoming a lead singer and fully supporting it is a pretty big deal too.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

I thought Fortress was exactly what AB should be. TLH was a bit of a backwards step but the pre-pro sounded rushed whereas they spent ages on pre-pro for Fortress. It shows.

I also enjoy the "straightaheadness" of Tremonti's albums, the only thing that needed to be done last cycle was to amalgamate Cauterize and Dust into a single album and cut some of the dead weight off. From a business perspective though it made sense to do two separate albums.

I'm excited for Tremonti IV but it's not like I wait for either AB or Tremonti's output with baited breath anymore. Its more a product of losing that teenage rabid fandom that I had 12 years ago than real disappointment though.

At the end of the day they are guys doing what they do as best they can, in a way that makes them happy. Is it their fault we hold them to a standard that possibly they aren't interested in or maybe don't have the ability to reach?

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Fortress is indeed the best album he's done in 10 years, but still, I think all those records have very little replay value compared to the Creed and early AB ones. Maybe that's just me, but after the enthusiasm surrounding the release, I forget about all those albums and don't feel the urge to listen to them. In a way, Mark's music has become disposable to me : I like it for a very short period of time, but after a while, I have no will to listen to it at all anymore.

@WaywardOne : what's the point of starting a new band if you're going to use the same producer and use the exact same formula you've been using in your other band in every song ? Kudos to him for starting a new project, that takes some courage, but artistically speaking, it's still a big mystery to me. It just sounds way too much like AB.

@Crumbso : good point about the high standards we hold them to. I may have expected too much of Mark. He's just human after all, and just like any other musician, he's doomed to repeat himself after a while.

@Timotheus : Stapp is doing something new with AoA. Vocally, he's doing things I haven't heard him do before. Musically, it's very different from the post-grunge stuff he's done before (Changed Man being the one exception). I mean, the guy has made some terrible artistic choices in the past, but it seems to me he's on the right path. That doesn't mean the album is exceptional or anything, but at least, it's sounding fresh.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

What would you like to see him do differently? Specifically.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Personally I'd love to see this band do an instrumental.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I agree that an instrumental would be cool. I'd also like to see a long song that isn't automatically "moody" or "more progressive" sounding just because it's long. Give me a song like Metallica's Disposable Heroes that stays thrash-y the entire time.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

I dunno.maybe it's just me, but I think Tremonti is his own band, pushing the boundaries of heavy rock/thrash. What has AB done that sounds like Radical Change, Cauterize, Wish you Well.

Flip and GW have much different drum styles IMO, and Tremonti has a hell of a lot more chugging and speed runs than Alter Bridge.

I'm ready for more Tremonti. Rotating Hardwired...to Self Destruct and Cauterize in the car right now. Looking hard for my Dust CD

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

AllC392Was wrote:What would you like to see him do differently? Specifically.
More than anything, I want to be surprised.
I want to hear a song and say to myself : "holy crap, is that Mark Tremonti ? I knew he was good, but I had no idea he was able to write that kind of stuff."

But more specifically, I'd say :
- longer songs that don't rely on the intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/solo/chorus formula
- longer instrumentals parts that go on for a few minutes. I'd like Mark to show us what he really can do with his guitar when he lets loose
- a radical change in the sound. Hire a real metal producer for instance, it will give the music a new edge and a different feel from AB
- a more metal approach to the overall songwriting. Right now, Tremonti feels like a modern rock band with metal riffs and pop choruses, and it makes the end result very contrived. Maybe for once, Mark should try writing on the spot with the band during jam sessions instead of bringing some riffs he has on a computer. It's the safe choice and part of the reason everything sounds the same after a while. I think he's good enough of a musician to pull it off, and it may bring something out of him we've never heard before.
Last edited by chtimixeur on Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

chtimixeur wrote:
AllC392Was wrote:What would you like to see him do differently? Specifically.
More than anything, I want to be surprised.
I want to hear a song and say to myself : "holy crap, is that Mark Tremonti ? I knew he was good, but I had no idea he was able to write that kinf of stuff."

But more specifically, I'd say :
- longer songs that don't rely on the intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/solo/chorus formula
- longer instrumentals parts that go on for a few minutes. I'd like Mark to show us what he really can do with his guitar when he lets loose
- a radical change in the sound. Hire a real metal producer for instance, it will give the music a new edge and a different feel from AB
- a more metal approach to the overall songwriting. Right now, Tremonti feels like a modern rock band with metal riffs and pop choruses, and it makes the end result very contrived. Maybe for once, Mark should try writing on the spot with the band during jam sessions instead of bringing some riffs he has on a computer. It's the safe choice and part of the reason everything sounds the same after a while. I think he's good enough of a musician to pull it off, and it may bring something out of him we've never heard before.
I can agree to that as well. Last time I felt that way was when I heard All I Was. Like.. Holy Shit thats Mark?!?!