Tremonti pt #4 - A Dying Machine

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Tremonti pt #4 - A Dying Machine

Post by VigilantSteve »

I only got as far as A Lot Like Sin on my way to work. So far it may not necessarily be my favorite Tremonti album, but damn does it have some truly fantastic songs on it. Really eager to hear the rest of the album!

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

I feel like the songs on this record sound a little less pieced together than previous songs may have been; they flow better.

prowler5150
Brand New Start

Post by prowler5150 »

scarecrow wrote:Does anyone know if this is available in Walmart stores?? The website says no.
I went to three stores today. Not only was it not in stores, but they know nothing about it. Walmart has an outside vendor handle their music and movies, and apparently they aren't always on top of new releases on release days. At two of the stores, they "looked in the back," but didn't find it. I'm hoping they'll get them in the next week or so. I figured it would be like the Best Buy exclusives - at least 4-5 per store - so I didn't order online either. Stupid Walmart...

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Ubik wrote:Shout out to "For what may never come".
Damn you beat me to it!! I wonder if it's a coincidence or if that's another song that had been floating around for awhile?

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

On first listen I'm gonna give my favourite songs to From The Sky and Trust. Most of the singles and previews have been my favourites but there certainly some absorbing to be done. So far it's on a 7.5 out of ten but it could certainly rise.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

No copies at best buy target or Wal-Mart. And it looks like it's just not here rather than sold out. Not sure what's up, kinda bummed

phatnonphatness
Loyal Follower

Post by phatnonphatness »

I've only spun the album a few times, so hard to give a solid opinion, but overall I'm really enjoying it. Probably the most I've enjoyed a Tremonti album on first listen. Certainly a bit of a different sound (although not that much of a deviation), but a welcome one.

Some really great tracks on here. A Dying Machine, Throw Them To The Lions, A Lot Like Sin, As Silence Becomes Me.

Not too fond of The First The Last.

JPSCHULZ82
Brand New Start

Post by JPSCHULZ82 »

Still waiting for my preorder to show up from Fret12. Should be here tomorrow. I was able to listen to the album on YouTube. My opinion hasn't changed much since going to the listening party. My favorites are From The Sky, Make it Hurt, and A Lot Like Sin. Traipse and Trust were better than I remembered. I did find it hard to understand Mark's vocals in some places. The First, The Last may go down as my least favorite Mark song ever. I think it's a good album, not great. It ranks below Dust and All I Was in my book. I prefer my Tremonti like my peanut butter - thick and crunchy rather than soft and smooth. My opinions may change over time. Bringer of War did grow on me. I still remember my first impressions of his other albums and having songs stick in my head.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

DeadCell wrote:Dammit. Rather than paying the shipping fees for the Wal-Mart exclusive, I took a risk and came to pick it up at my local store. Of course they don’t have it, because they aren’t Best Buy/FYE/some other music store. All Wal-Mart carries are classics (Michael Jackson, Skynyrd, etc), country music, and today’s “hit” music.

Just checked online, sold out... perfect.

I’m offering $5 (via Paypal) to whoever wouldn’t mind sharing the bonus tracks.
I picked up the live album at my local Walmart here in Canada but you're mostly right.

The album is ok. The singles are growing on me. I will need a few more listens. Anyone else annoyed with the weird processed drum sounds at times? It sounds compressed kinda but electronic. I'm gonna guess they used an 808. But that's generally something you hear in pop and rap. Not what I would expect from a hard rock/metal band.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Haven’t really gravitated towards the super heavy songs this time around. Throw Them To The Lions is definitely the best of those songs, still think it’s only in the middle of the pack in my rankings though. After a couple of listens...

Take You With Me: one of my favorite songs he’s ever been apart of

Bringer of War: one of his better album openers across all projects

As The Silence Becomes Me: favorite bridge on the record

A Dying Machine: Mark is always at his best when tackling the longer, more dynamic songs

Desolation: Favorite of the unreleased songs. “Can we start again?!” before the solo section is my favorite moment of the whole album

From The Sky: Would be top 3 if the chorus wasn’t just “Woah-ing”

Now or Never: Should have made the final cut, love this song with one of the better choruses

The First The Last: Beautiful, not as high on it as I was at the Listening Party though. Would be higher if it had a better bridge

Traipse: This one is growing on me, feels very similar to Waters Rising for multiple reasons

Trust: Love the vibe of the verses and bridge. Would be higher if I enjoyed the chorus more

Throw Them to The Lions: Super heavy, reminds me of Arm Yourself in terms of heaviness and vocal delivery. The groove in the second verse is killer

The Day When Legions Burned: Cool song, really like the chorus.

Make it Hurt: Average with a good chorus

A Lot Like Sin: Average with a bad chorus

Found: Neat that he did something different, doesn’t do anything for me though

It’s interesting that my top 4 are also the ones that came out early. Not sure if that speaks to the quality of those songs and the decision to put them out first, or the fact I’ve had longer to digest them. I will say, I would be over the moon about this album if I hadn’t heard all those songs that early. I do think it took away a little from the overall album
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Fish Tacos wrote:No copies at best buy target or Wal-Mart. And it looks like it's just not here rather than sold out. Not sure what's up, kinda bummed
Best Buy is phasing CDs out. As of July they won't be selling them at all anymore.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Anybody want to bitch about the production? No?

Good.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

AB4Lyfe wrote:Anybody want to bitch about the production? No?

Good.
Yeah I actually really enjoyed it for the most part this record. There are one or two spots that bugged me, but overall I thought Elvis killed it here
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Idk why but Bringer of War is really starting to gel for me. It's the pre-chorus, I love it. Anyone else appreciating that descending bass line during that part?

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

WaywardOne wrote:Idk why but Bringer of War is really starting to gel for me. It's the pre-chorus, I love it. Anyone else appreciating that descending bass line during that part?
Yes sir! The bass line is awesome. Really adds to the vibe of that section.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I've only been able to listen to the album once, and listened to some individual songs throughout the day, yesterday, so I think I've heard every song twice so far. I'm not gonna judge the album on only that, but there are some mind-fuck moments on there. I liked it overal.

Desolation is the only fantastic song on there. Traipse and Throw Them To the Lions are up there as well. Like somebody else said, I wish he'd experimented more with sounds like he did on Found.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

AB4Lyfe wrote:Anybody want to bitch about the production? No?

Good.
The kick drum sounds like distorted shite and is way too loud. Everything else is great though.
Last edited by Crumbso on Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

The First The Last is a work of art, my god.

DeadCell
Come To Life

Post by DeadCell »

Thanks for all the offers guys (sarcasm) but a buddy hooked me up with the bonus tracks.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Traipse and Desolation are far and away my favourites on the album, love them both with no reservations and right up there among the best stuff he's put out solo. The Day When Legions Burned is growing on me a lot as well. A lot of the others I'm a bit conflicted about. A Lot Like Sin probably least fave by a bit, that chorus is not ideal.
For all of the hope that it brings...