Tremonti pt #4 - A Dying Machine

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Tremonti pt #4 - A Dying Machine

Post by WaywardOne »

Wow I know there are always differing options around here but I'm really shocked at how divisive this album seems to be! Makes me that much more excited to finally here it.

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

Dolo wrote:I've just gone through the album and I have no idea how this could be the best album Mark has ever been involved in, because all the tunes seem very hackneyed but God, if only he could've expermented a little bit more with the soundscapes and ambience as he did in 'Found' instead of metal chugging and bombastic choruses as he always does....
Well I didn't say the best album he's ever been involved in, I said the best one for a long time. Compared to albums released in the last 5 years alone (The Last Hero, Dust, Cauterise and arguably Fortress which I believe ADM is at least on par with), he's smashed them out of the park.
Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Fortress is arguably Alter Bridge’s best album so I wouldn’t go that far. :lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Loudwire Review (Spoiler Alert: They dig it.)
It's been quite a year for Alter Bridge's principal members. Earlier this year, Myles Kennedy made great artistic and stylistic strides with his deeply personal Year of the Tiger. Now his bandmate Mark Tremonti is flexing his artistic muscle with his self-titled band's first ever concept album, A Dying Machine.

Like Kennedy, Tremonti pushed the boundaries a bit from what we've come to expect from him; since adding his self-titled band to his growing resume, fans have become used to Tremonti leaning towards the guitarist's heavier tendencies, but A Dying Machine offers the band's most well-rounded record to date. It's also their best.

Fans of Tremonti's previous work will not be disappointed: full throttle crushers like "Throw Them to the Lions," the dynamic and heavy opener "Bringer of War," the more vocally aggressive "A Lot Like Sin" and the thrashy, pit-ready "The Day When Legions Burned" should more than appease the desire for heaviness. But there are also moments of muted instrumentation in "Trust" and "Make It Hurt." Acoustic guitars get significant play throughout the album, and there is also space for more somber, mid-tempo and bluesier fare like "As the Silence Becomes Me" and "Desolation."

The real strength of the album comes in Tremonti's knack for melodically strong anthems. "Take You With Me" is already getting radio play, and "The First The Last" may have some legs with potential to be an even bigger single if given a shot. The title track finds the perfect blend of melodic and aggressive and "From the Sky" boasts Rage Against the Machine-esque guitar aggression.

As a top-to-bottom listen, A Dying Machine flows well with no duds and will likely rank as one of 2018's best rock albums. But if there is a criticism, it is that the shifts in the narrative can be a bit jarring for those trying to piece together the story, with successive tracks sometimes going from a dark and dystopian viewpoint to something more uplifting and lighter, suggesting different viewpoints or characters. Tremonti is preparing an accompanying book which will likely fill in the blanks and connect the dots, but until then A Dying Machine lays enough of the seeds to intrigue. It's a great listen from a musical perspective and one that will be enhanced when fans are able to dig into the book.
http://loudwire.com/tremonti-a-dying-ma ... um-review/

facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by facelessman07 »

The First The Last is just amazingly beautiful. I freaking love this song. It's so poignant...

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

The concept is just Mark's excuse to write some cheesy love lyrics, lol.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Timotheus wrote:The concept is just Mark's excuse to write some cheesy love lyrics, lol.
Good, I kinda need to hear some cheesy love lyrics, at this point, since my usual well (i.e. Shinedown) didn't provide them in their newer stuff. I just didn't expect Mark, of all people, to provide them, but he'll make it work.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Timotheus wrote:The concept is just Mark's excuse to write some cheesy love lyrics, lol.
I know you're joking, but he hasn't done this in his entire career (aside from Away In Silence). It is incredibly refreshing to hear him touching this subject. Not to mention, it sounds really good to hear a tremonti version of this song.

facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by facelessman07 »

This song would make a phenomenal addition to the next Nicholas Sparks movie.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Fuck this album is good...

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

All right, guys. I still haven't preordered the album at Walmart (I am extremely lazy like that due to work and other personal matters). Quick, what's the next best thing (after the album) I can get at Walmart for $25.00 to get the free shipping?

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Ok let's get the negative out of the way first: This doesn't have the heavy stuff that has always gripped me in the past. The solos just aren't interesting anymore either. I miss those.

However, I am in disbelief at how complete and well rounded this album is. The vocals, the lyrics, the overall songwriting... absolutely unreal. I must be getting old and lame because appreciating this album feels more like appreciating a piece of fine art rather than losing my mind in a mosh pit, and I'm ok with it. Yes, I want to bang my head, but this is just damn good music. Favorite tracks: A Dying Machine, Make It Hurt, Traipse, As The Silence Becomes Me, Desolation.

TremontiFan4Life
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by TremontiFan4Life »

anguyen92 wrote:All right, guys. I still haven't preordered the album at Walmart (I am extremely lazy like that due to work and other personal matters). Quick, what's the next best thing (after the album) I can get at Walmart for $25.00 to get the free shipping?
What's better than one copy of the album? Multiple copies of the album, or perhaps a mop? to clean up the mess that will be made during your first play through

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Fudge, that hour went by way too fast. I need more listens to this, but yeah, this album is pretty good. Going into the year, I didn't expect much for Tremonti IV and I thought they may do like 10 songs that's more of the same in the veins of the Dusterize series and that it would be far overshadowed by Myles' Year of the Tiger. Well, after all of that buildup, it's actually a much closer race between the two for my favorite album of the year so far. I do agree with the Loudwire review that if there is a big flaw to the album, it is that it didn't really present a linear storyline as the album progresses upon listening (I honestly that it would follow a storyline like in Dream Theater's The Astonishing). It certainly does introduce types of characters and scenery of the world and setting and I'm certain that once the book is out, the meaning of these songs are going to be much clearer.

This much I can say though. I do feel like Mark Tremonti is far from done and is not being a spent force yet. This is the 7th full-length album that he was a main songwriter for in the 10s and it is still as strong as all of those albums he has done in the time period. The songwriting is more varied and I don't think it's as plugin chugging metal riffs and big anthem choruses (rinse and repeat x 10) that I feared he may have gone.

I am sadden about Found though. All I really wanted was a Tremonti instrumental that's filled up with face-melting riffs and in-your-face solos and let him rip it (basically a follow up to Ahavo Rabo Taco Salad) and all I get is basically a lengthier instrumental album closer like you would find in Breaking Benjamin's album closers. Hopefully, we can get an instrumental that I want to see in the next AB album perhaps? The hope is still there.

Anyway, favorites for now. Trust, Traipse, The First The Last, Take You With Me, and Desolation.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

WaywardOne wrote:Ok let's get the negative out of the way first: This doesn't have the heavy stuff that has always gripped me in the past. The solos just aren't interesting anymore either. I miss those.

However, I am in disbelief at how complete and well rounded this album is. The vocals, the lyrics, the overall songwriting... absolutely unreal. I must be getting old and lame because appreciating this album feels more like appreciating a piece of fine art rather than losing my mind in a mosh pit, and I'm ok with it. Yes, I want to bang my head, but this is just damn good music. Favorite tracks: A Dying Machine, Make It Hurt, Traipse, As The Silence Becomes Me, Desolation.
I kinda agree with you after my first listen. The heavy songs didn't do for me what they did on the other albums, which is too bad. The Day That Legions Burn has a pretty legit main riff though. :D Also agree about the solo's, didn't do much for me at first listen. Very Tremonti indeed.

I really liked Make It Hurt and Traipse though! In the context of the album I liked As Silence Becomes Me more as well, not enough to become a favourite though. The songwriting is really good and the album is really diverse as you said.
My favs are: Bringer Of War, A Dying Machine, Make it Hurt, Traipse, The Day That Legions Burn (them riffs) and Desolation.

Now let's give that album another spin!

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

Hoping to receive several copies & versions today by mail. I'll see after work. If not, I will not pass the weekend without pushing the buy-button in iTunes.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

"Trust" kinda reminds me of good old Nu Metal. Especially the intro/outro is so Linkin Park-ish. :D Maybe my least favorite track.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

@Mr. Slash: there is nothing wrong with nu-metal :P

As to the album, my first spin didn't go so well. Right now, I think there's too much of a stylistic gap between the softer and the thrashier songs. It feels to me more like a collection of random songs than a cohesive album, which is weird considering it's a concept album.

I could also rant about Elvis, but I've already done it enough over the years, and since his studio is just 10 minutes from Mark's house, he's sadly here to stay.

I'll give the album at least 4 or 5 more spins before saying how I feel about particular songs.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

My least favourites as of now are probably The First The Last and Take You With Me. TFTL is just too poppy for me to handle haha!

I actually like Found as an outro. But it's a good thing I read reviews/messages about the album and knew it wasn't a sheddy instrumental track.

\m/Tremonster\m/
White Knuckled

Post by \m/Tremonster\m/ »

I'm only halfway through right now, but From The Sky is my favourite so far. Sounding awesome!