Tremonti pt #4 - A Dying Machine

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Re: Tremonti pt #4 - A Dying Machine

Post by austinjhnsn »

I knew TLH was probably the worst AB album as soon as I listened to it. There is something to say for recency bias but within reason, Im sure Marshall had some time to sit with the album.
Thanks Timo!

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

Traipse is so fucking good. The highlight of the album alongside Trust, as the silence becomes me and A Dying Machine . Desolation is pretty sick too

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

chtimixeur wrote:http://www.americasmusiccharts.com/index.cgi?fmt=R2
Take You with Me isn't doing as weel as I thought it would on the active rock charts. Right now, it's at #36, and last week, it was at #35. It's surprising to me, considering how catchy it is.
If this song doesn't make them big, nothing ever will. Which is fine. But it's the perfect single for them.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

chtimixeur wrote:In retrospect, sure.
But there is a (perfectly understandable) tendency amongst fans of an artist to claim that the album that was just released is the best thing the said artist has ever done.
Then, after a while, opinions can change drastically, because the hype is gone and they can evaluate the album for what it actually is.
Well, TLH was pretty disappointing to me directly after the first spin.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

chtimixeur wrote:In retrospect, sure.
But there is a (perfectly understandable) tendency amongst fans of an artist to claim that the album that was just released is the best thing the said artist has ever done.
Then, after a while, opinions can change drastically, because the hype is gone and they can evaluate the album for what it actually is.
Are you the exception that proves the rule? It's always the worst thing they've done to date :lol :P

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

WaywardOne wrote:
chtimixeur wrote:http://www.americasmusiccharts.com/index.cgi?fmt=R2
Take You with Me isn't doing as weel as I thought it would on the active rock charts. Right now, it's at #36, and last week, it was at #35. It's surprising to me, considering how catchy it is.
If this song doesn't make them big, nothing ever will. Which is fine. But it's the perfect single for them.
I disagree, I don’t think this song was the one to put them over. It’s a decent track, but not the one.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Tremonti will never have a big breakthrough, when it comes to radio rock. His music is too complex (lol) for the masses who are used to simple stuff like 5FDP, Godsmack or Shinedown.

According to Wikipedia "Take You With Me" peaked at #32, which is only the 2nd best position in Tremonti's discography. "You Waste Your Time" did better for some reason. Probably more people were curious about Mark being a lead singer.

Marshall
White Knuckled

Post by Marshall »

John Shirley via FB:
Cover art for A DYING MACHINE, a novel I co-wrote with Mark Tremonti, based on his rock opera, coming soon. The writing is finished, and it's going to the next step...

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

The First The Last is the best ballad Mark has written since Life Must Go On. Such an amazing song.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Desolation has the best build of any of the songs. Its only 4.5 minutes but damn is it a masterpiece... That chorus is haunting. And the bridge riff... gosh I cant get enough of it!
Thanks Timo!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

austinjhnsn wrote:Desolation has the best build of any of the songs. Its only 4.5 minutes but damn is it a masterpiece... That chorus is haunting. And the bridge riff... gosh I cant get enough of it!
The acoustic version of this is pretty cool too. Can really hear the strings in the background of it.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Andy92 wrote:
austinjhnsn wrote:Desolation has the best build of any of the songs. Its only 4.5 minutes but damn is it a masterpiece... That chorus is haunting. And the bridge riff... gosh I cant get enough of it!
The acoustic version of this is pretty cool too. Can really hear the strings in the background of it.
How is Now or Never?
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

Marshall
White Knuckled

Post by Marshall »

Here is our review:

https://www.60minuten.net/tremonti-a-dying-machine/

It has been lectorised - some details were deleted.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Hmm. I think this album doesn't quite chime with me in the same way that some people struggle with TLH. I'll have to give it a few more plays.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

I hate those intros like 'Trust', I think is the worst song of the album

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

I genuinely believe this is the best record Mark has put out/been involved with for a long time. Personally I prefer it to Fortress, although I'm aware that could purely be down to the fact it's only just released and the hype hasn't faded.

My favourite tracks that weren't released as singles are:

- Make it Hurt was an unexpected highlight for me, the chorus is just incredibly catchy. I also like the "epic" songs Mark writes, and I believe this chorus could easily fall into that category even if it's not 6+ minutes long.
- The First the Last as already mentioned is a fantastic ballad, initially I thought it would be cheesy but the fact it's being sung from the perspective of a fictional character really helped it not to be. Love it.
- Desolation, where the riff kicks in for the second time and Mark screams "Can we start again", literally sent shivers down my spine. Possibly my favourite moment on the entire album.
- The Day When Legions Burned One of the two heaviest songs on the record (the other being Throw Them to the Lions), this has another chorus I just know won't be leaving my head for a while. And I'm fine with that.
Last edited by RevenantGB on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

AHart96 wrote:
Andy92 wrote:
How is Now or Never?
Has a really good chorus. Mark really belts the vocals out in it. Song is pretty straightforward otherwise, but I liked it.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

AHart96 wrote:
Andy92 wrote:
How is Now or Never?
It's great, I think it deserved to be on the album.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I've just gone through the album and I have no idea how this could be the best album Mark has ever been involved in, because all the tunes seem very hackneyed but God, if only he could've expermented a little bit more with the soundscapes and ambience as he did in 'Found' instead of metal chugging and bombastic choruses as he always does....
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp