Tremonti pt #4 - A Dying Machine

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Re: Tremonti pt #4 - A Dying Machine

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Marshall wrote:For „The Last Hero“ we did a track-by-track review.
We plan the same for ADM.

https://www.60minuten.net/alter-bridge-the-last-hero/
Awesome! Any estimation on when we will be blessed with this track by track review?

Marshall
White Knuckled

Post by Marshall »

I think it will be in the week of the release itself - so right before June 8th and it will be in German only

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Marshall wrote:I think it will be in the week of the release itself - so right before June 8th and it will be in German only
There's Google Translate for that so no problem :lol

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

They gave the album a perfect 10/10 but didn't go into much detail about the songs themselves...

http://rocknloadmag.com/album-review/tr ... um-review/
Tremonti return with their fourth studio album, A Dying Machine, via Napalm Records, June 8th. Not only do we see the return of Tremonti, but also we get their first concept album, one which will be accompanied by a novel written by Tremonti himself and John Shirley.

Tremonti came across the idea for A Dying Machinewhilst touring with Alter Bridge, and put things in motion for this savage album which is rich in Tremonti’s signature sound and more. Heavy as hell sounding guitar riffs with killer guitar solos and Mark’s fluid vocal style will keep the fan base happy without the idea of a concept album challenging them too much.

A very easy album to listen to, Tremonti’s song writing is first class, with brutal and battering guitar riffs fused with melodic and easy-on-the-ear hooks to keep the balance just right. With a guitarist synonymous with Creed and Alter Bridge and the quality of song writing within, many who may be unfamiliar with Tremonti as a solo artist could assume that it may not match the heights of the aforementioned bands. But rest assured A Dying Machine is a beauty in its own right.

Tremonti has delivered a concept album without compromising on the fundamentals, which has brought him 40 million plus album sales over the years and countless accolades. All in all, A Dying Machine is yet another stunner delivered by one of Metal’s highest regarded guitarists. A bloodthirsty and merciless album, it goes for the jugular throughout and doesn’t let up one bit. Exactly what you come to expect from Tremonti.

All wrapped up in his signature sound, A Dying Machine is an absolute belter that just strengthens the Tremonti brand and will keep his army of fans more than happy for a little while yet.

P.S - 10 MORE DAYS!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Ding! Though a song title would rule...

Post by gbruin »

WaywardOne wrote:
facelessman07 wrote:
gbruin wrote: master of my own domain
Saw this phrase and instantly thought it'd make a sick song title for the album.
I would only accept that if the album cover was a mundane picture of George Kastanza
https://goo.gl/images/kJcK7m
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

REVIEW: 7.0/10

http://www.ghostcultmag.com/album-revie ... ne-napalm/
In the shadow of such arena stomping colossi as Creed and Alter Bridge, Mark Tremonti’s solo venture has, in your scribe’s opinion up until now, felt lacking. Never being outright bad and often capable of huge songs (as you can expect from the driving force behind the two former), the previous Tremonti albums have not hit levels of adventurous writing that Alter Bridge, in particular, have been capable of, and at worst have felt fairly plodding and generic. Proving that fans of any of his works should never write him off, however, I was pleasantly surprised to find that A Dying Machine (Napalm) is a step up for the Tremonti band in virtually every fashion.

Based on a conceptual idea that Tremonti (the man, is this getting confusing yet?) had during an Alter Bridge tour, and further novelised by award-winning writer John Shirley, A Dying Machine is still based on, for the most part, simple and catchy songs but also follows its narrative rather well as opposed to the story being surplus.

Album opener ‘Bringer Of War’ is a straightforward, rousing effort which hits the mark but also suggests on first listen that you are going to get more or less the same. That is until album highlight ‘Trust’ appears, offering a moody, open and tender reprieve, and showing a greater versatility to this album than had been evident on previous offerings. Elsewhere the likes of ‘The First The Last’ and ‘Desolation’ further cement this newfound range in emotions throughout the album which, although far from cutting-edge, do show an improvement; whilst the likes of ‘A Lot Like Sin’ maintains the standard Metal/Hard Rock balance and are amongst the strongest such songs this collective has produced to date.

While it may be a bit overly long with some filler, and, no, it still doesn’t quite reach the ambition he has achieved elsewhere, but for this band, A Dying Machine is head and shoulders the strongest part of its catalogue, with a thoughtful narrative matching well with strong, anthem-ridden songcraft. It isn’t flawless, but it is well worth a look at.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

This one is an interview so I'll post the link to it if you want to read the rest, but below the link I'll just share most of the Q&As referring to A Dying Machine...

http://www.rocking.gr/interviews/tremonti/32554
An obvious question that comes to my mind is how do you pinpoint what ideas fit best for Tremonti and what's on Alter Bridge? Sometimes the dividing line becomes a little thin, is not it?

Yes! Mostly when I write, I usually just go with the best material I'm working on at that time. But, the biggest difference between them is the thrash side or if you want the speed metal side, which is definitely a material for Tremonti. This is usually the way I can separate ideas from each other.

But there are a lot of disk ideas that could end up as songs of Alter Bridge if I was working on a record for Alter Bridge. Like "Desolation" for example. Some of the most atmospheric songs on the record could have found the way for an Alter Bridge album.

How did the story you wrote about the lyrics, music and sound of the album affect?

It was a process that excited me. When I started working around the song "A Dying Machine" and started writing lyrics about it, then it was when I started creating the story. It was a conversation about two people, a man and a composite man, something like a love story that he made on the road. I thought it would be a good thing to talk to him.

"The Day When Legions Burned" was the second song I wrote on the same subject and then I thought "Nice, now I have two, let's go on . " And I just went on and continued and continued ... Before I figured out I had enough songs that I had written before the story went on and I had somehow to match them lyrics in it.

It was fun to have a direction to follow. Many times, as you write an album, you start a song and you have no idea how it will end up, just joking with him for a long time. But, on this album, I had to use my imagination and say "Ok, if I was writing a book, where would the story go from then on? How can I build it from here on? " And so I built on it, until I finally said "nice, now I have to write a book for the world to understand and what it is listening to. "

I like the album's homogeneity from beginning to end. But musically it is not the typical album concept with repeating melodies and the like. How are the approaches to linking the songs to each other?

Only at a lyrical level ... I wanted to tell a story, which is presented from all different perspectives.

For example, "Bringer Of War" gives the viewpoint of the protagonist, the "evil" ... or rather not so much the "evil" but the more aggressive character of the story. "Falling From The Sky" refers to the retaliation and the war that is being created at the end of the story, while "A Dying Machine" talks about the seed that cultivated them all. "Trust" is another story about the two views of someone convincing someone else to follow them.

Generally, every time I wrote a song, I was trying to make it fit in the story, but sometimes it was the story that came out of the music of the song so I had to change the story to suit the song. This was something that helped write the book, because many of the ideas I would not have thought of if they did not come out of the music of the songs. Generally, the whole process went back and forth. The book helped the disk and the album helped the book.

I can say that I can distinguish three types of compositions: the more thrashy, aggressive like "Bringer Of War", "Make It Hurt" and "The Day When Legions Burned", catchy / melodies such as "Trust", "The First The Last" and "Take You With Me" and dark, emotional, mid-tempo, atmospheric like Traipse, As Silence Becomes Me and Desolation ". Of course, the result is great due to the combination of the three, but what approach would you say that best represents you as a composer?

My favorite song on the album is the homonymous "A Dying Machine" . I like the songs that tell a story and have dynamics and generally the songs that you feel like you are on a journey.

I love the songs that are simple, fast, heavy and straightforward, but at the end of the day, when I'm an old man in my deathbed and I will show my legacy to my grandchildren, I would prefer to show them some of my most atmospheric songs . "As The Silence Becomes Me" type songs or "Dying Machines". These are the songs that need most of the work in lyrics and synthetics.

Of course, songs like "Trust" I also like a lot, as they sound quite different from what we have done in the past.

Songs like "Throw To The Lions," the heavier, thrash are what people expect from this band, but I always like to fly in and material that people do not wait to hear, for example "Found" on closing the tray. I think no one will wait for such a song from this band ...

Probably not ... A Massive Attack ...

Exactly! And I love Massive Attack ... It's definitely a tribute to us on Massive Attack.

You are a riff master without any doubt. So tell me the three riffs you would like to have written, but also your three favorites that you have written ...

Three riffs I would like to have written? My God ... it must be one million! Some of them are "Lepper Messiah" ... I love this riff, "Procreation Of The Wicked" and "Kashmir" or "Dazed And Confused".

And my three favorites? This is difficult. I will only choose from the new album. I like the basic riff of "Make It Hurt". It's also a riff in "The Day When Legions Burned" and especially the basic, heavy riff that starts the song which is one of my favorites on the album. And finally, I do not know if you say riff, but I love this somewhat harmonic, musical part that introduces "Trust" ...

"Trust" is probably my favorite song on the album ...

Perfect!

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

https://myglobalmind.com/2018/05/29/mar ... d-playing/

Another Interview with some tidbits for A Dying Machine....
Mark is putting out his fourth solo CD, A Dying Machine, slated for release on June 8th via Napalm Records. A Dying Machine is a concept CD that takes place at the turn of the next century; an emotionally charged story, spanning obsession, unrequited love, and destruction. The CD offers a new barrage of songs that showcase his signature six-string attack like opener “Bringer of War,” the glossy “The First The Last,” and the muscular and mechanized riffing of the title track “A Dying Machine.”

The album features Mark on vocals/guitars, Eric Friedman on guitars, and Garrett Whitlock on drums and is produced by long-time friend and collaborator, Michael “Elvis” Baskette.

I caught up with Mark to discuss the making of the first concept CD and how he challenged himself both musically and lyrically!

Robert Cavuoto: Can you talk a little about the vision you had going into A Dying Machine and maybe how you wanted it to be different from Dust and Cauterize?

Mark Tremonti: This was my first concept record, and I feel by far it’s my best solo record to date. I couldn’t be happier.

Robert Cavuoto: Do you think A Dying Machine is a progression in your writing and playing from for your other solo CDs?

Mark Tremonti: Yes, because it’s the first time I tackled a concept theme. Lyrically I love taking down the story thought-out the album. This was a different way of attacking a record.

Robert Cavuoto: What would be an example of where you outdid yourself on this CD?

Mark Tremonti: Lyrically tying it all together into the story. I had a great time doing that and happy with the lyrics. I tackled the songwriting differently as well. Usually, I took parts of songs I had from years past and put them together, but this time I created each song individually. It took weeks just to get a song down. I did that song by song, and it just felt different. It’s all brand new stuff.

Robert Cavuoto: I don’t have the liner notes did Wolfgang Van Halen appear on the CD?

Mark Tremonti: Eric played bass on the record. Wolfgang actually called me and wanted to record the bass, but we were already in the process of getting the bass going as Eric played the bass on all the demos. Wolfgang is also working on his solo record at the moment.

Robert Cavuoto: Tell me about the creation of the song “The First and The Last” it’s a little glossier than the rest of the CD and my personal favorite?

Mark Tremonti: That song is the big ballad of the record. I usually don’t tackle a song like that because of the subject matter as it’s a lost love type of song. I have never done that before, but since I had this concept going, I wanted to try new things and write from a different point of view. I tried to get into character and approach it from that perspective.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
Robert Cavuoto: Tell me about the creation of the song “The First and The Last” it’s a little glossier than the rest of the CD and my personal favorite?
That question mark annoys me. It doesn't belong there.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

So has it been confirmed that we get As The Silence Becomes Me this friday, or is that speculation?

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:So has it been confirmed that we get As The Silence Becomes Me this friday, or is that speculation?
Confirmed. Roughly 32 hours from now.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

http://www.lordsofmetal.nl/en/reviews/view/id/37202

95/100
Henk : Mark Tremonti obviously does not need an introduction anymore. If unknown, then you have probably been under a rock for the last twenty years or have only recently become interested in metal. 'A Dying Machine' is already the fourth album of this band with the master guitarist in top shape. Not only as a guitarist, but also as a singer, Mark Tremonti increasingly rises above the metal top.

'Bringer Of War' is the ultimate opening track of this album which is full of quality. In terms of style this song could have come off the last Alter Bridge album. As with the solo album of Myles Kennedy, on this album Alter Bridge in-house producer Michael "Elvis" Baskette was responsible for the great production. Next to the CD there will also be a novel written by Tremonti to give an extra dimension to the complete concept. But back to the music. Tremonti navigates through various metal and rock styles without losing his own style. The title track 'A Dying Machine' showcases the best of Creed and Alter Bridge, while the first single 'Take You With Me' is a very catchy but at the same time heavy radio rocksong. The great thing about Mark's vocals is that one can hear that he has listened carefully to both Scott Stapp and Myles Kennedy, and that both singers have influenced him besides his own unique sound.

It goes too far to describe all songs in detail. The fact is that there is not a bad song on the album. Outliers are the songs mentioned above and 'Trust'. A song that Corey Taylor is most likely very jealous of. Furthermore, there is much to be found on this album for all types of metalheads. Self-listening is the motto and then you will see that this album will be there for a long time at your playlist or CD player. Myles Kennedy scored a maximum with his 'Year Of The Tiger'. Then with this Tremonti too. Mark the eight of June on the calendar!

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

http://www.nationalrockreview.com/album ... y-tremonti
A Dying Machine by Tremonti breathes life into the current metal scene.

Mark Tremonti, a man known for creating several amazing riffs for dozens of hit songs, being in two giant bands, and continuing his solo project is back with Tremonti’s 4th album A Dying Machine and it’s one of the greatest things to ever fall on the ears of the metal community. Everything with this band continues to improve over each album cycle. Mark’s vocals are sounding even better than they have before and he continues to evolve and experiment with his guitar playing (as if he couldn’t get any better), and Garrett continues to hit the drums with such passion that is evident throughout the entirety of the album.

The album starts off strong with “Bringer of War” and yes, Tremonti did, in fact, bring the war. This was a perfect start to set the stage for the remainder of the record. One thing that is important when putting together a record is the way tracklisting is set up to keep the vibes going the right way, especially for the first time listening. Tremonti does a great job of balancing all the chunky heavy stuff with the gorgeous ballads that are provided along with all the headbanging songs.

Mark Tremonti is a veteran in the metal industry and A Dying Machine is all the evidence one would need to hear that. Lyrically, it’s presented in such a fashion that is relatable, but yet cryptic and left up to the listener or fan to interpret on their own. Tremonti definitely lets the fans hear a more intimate side of him and left himself a lot more open than in previous records, which is understandable because he’s been able to get very comfortable in his role as a frontman and lyricist. While most of the songs speak of things we go through, there are many songs that just have a ring of hope and to take charge in your life. A Dying Machine is one of Tremonti’s most influential records to date. Musically, this is the best presentation that Tremonti has provided his listeners, the album has a little bit of everything in a new format. Yes, there are the songs that make you want to headbang all night long, but at the same time, Tremonti manages to make catchy songs that, in a way, have a groove to them which make you want to get up and dance.

A Dying Machine very much has life. It has everything that a rock and metal fan could want in an album. Lyrically it’s filled with inspirational and fighting lyrics, the music is going to keep the blood pumping for a long time, and the band as a whole have managed to put out a record that is a work of art. There are not many rock albums this year that could top the quality that Tremonti bring. This one is definitely an instant classic.

A Dying Machine is due for release on June 8.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

subject matter as it’s a lost love type of song. I have never done that before
It must be true if Mark said it but that kinda jumped out at me.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

Walmart has an exclusive version of the album featuring 2 bonus tracks, Now Or Never and Desolation (Acoustic)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tremonti-A-D ... /148706731
Photobucket cash grab.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Ryan wrote:Walmart has an exclusive version of the album featuring 2 bonus tracks, Now Or Never and Desolation (Acoustic)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tremonti-A-D ... /148706731
God Dammit! :lol Guess I'm buying a copy from Walmart too :lol

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Is it possible to just preorder and pick it up at a local store? I refuse to pay an additional $5.00+ for shipping when I can just drive to the nearest Walmart.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Thank god I didn't pre-order yet! Surprised this stayed secret for so long.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

That’s the crappy thing. $9.97 for the cd and $5.99 to ship it. Ridiculous.

There is no in-store pickup option available. I don’t know if that is because it’s a preorder or if there won’t be one.
Photobucket cash grab.

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

Guys, 6 hours and 15 Minutes left for all of my fellow Swiss members in here before we can here As The Silence Becomes Me.

Personally the track i am the most eager to hear because I find the title so badass and Mark said it is a Moody kinda track, which are my favorites from both AB and Tremonti :rockon