Tremonti pt #4 - A Dying Machine

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Re: Tremonti pt #4 - A Dying Machine

Post by Mr. Slash »

Never heard that song before. But it surely was a cool cover. Same goes for Take You With Me. I was kinda suspicious during the first verse, but it became pretty awesome with the first chorus. I simply love Mark's voice.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Wow, I usually don't like when he does acoustic covers of lead singles just for the sake of promotion (i.e. Addicted to Pain) but this one works REALLY well. I think this shows how much his voice has progressed better than anything - he sounds fantastic and it seems effortless here, instead of when he pushes and tries really hard at concerts. It just seems so organic and fine tuned now.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

https://metalwani.com/2018/05/review-tr ... ing-anchor

I believe this is the first media review I have seen for the album....

Rating: 8.5 Overall
Songwriting & Lyrics: 8.0
Overall Sound: 9.0

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:https://metalwani.com/2018/05/review-tr ... ing-anchor

I believe this is the first media review I have seen for the album....

Rating: 8.5 Overall
Songwriting & Lyrics: 8.0
Overall Sound: 9.0
Hmm, not bad. Would have liked a higher rating on songwriting but that’s ok.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

Yes ! Album of the month in Aardschok magazine in the Netherlands.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

riemslag1 wrote:Yes ! Album of the month in Aardschok magazine in the Netherlands.
Nice! :peace :mtrocks :headbang Did they go into detail at all about the album or just give it that title?

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Ubik wrote:Side note - anyone reckon that the opening is a nod to Holst's Mars (the Bringer of War)?

Not an identical drum beat but drew my attention anyway.
Jupiter was always my favorite from these.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
riemslag1 wrote:Yes ! Album of the month in Aardschok magazine in the Netherlands.
Nice! :peace :mtrocks :headbang Did they go into detail at all about the album or just give it that title?
Yes, they sort of told us this album will be nothing short of epic. Seems the middle part of the album has some of the greatest rocksongs lined up ; only sidenote with just a little bit of negativity was about the instrumental closer. I’m really getting so anxious to receive this. Ordered several packages, strings and sticks, several colours of vinyl and my daughters name will be in the liners notes. Hail Tremonti. This one for sure will overshadow TLH.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

So weird but cool to see Tremonti covering one of the great new wave bands. I really love that he seems to be aggressively expanding his musical horizons - getting super adventurous.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Freakin great. Thanks for this video. Mark seems to struggle during the end of the pre chorus when he has to switch between clean vocals and beast mode.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

When you are so hyped for the album you start searching for reviews already and find the ones in foreign languages to translate :lol

https://www.rocking.gr/reviews/album/Tr ... chine/7887
TRANSLATED:
As in any other area of ​​life, music is the combination of two things that lead to success: talent and hard work / effort. And Mark Tremonti is distinguished in both.

But - unlike the other domains - in music, recognition (as well as depreciation) often arises arbitrarily, without the need for any argument. And in a country where opinion is (usually) more important than knowledge, terms such as "success" are relevant.

So, Tremonti is probably not very talented, and his success is seen as the product of some other factor, beyond his talent and his job (eg marketing). Only the perception of the majority of a small "village" like ours does not change reality. And Tremonti can be proud not only of what he has achieved but also of how he has done it.

Having sold more than 40 million albums in total, he could make a living by staring at the American market with Creed, but he prefers to do what he really likes, making Alter Bridge particularly successful through a much more difficult road. And after doing this, through his personal band, he is even more conducive to his love of metal music.

And the truth is that Tremonti manages them impressively well: riffs are more thrashy and (as always) fucking, playing is heavier and kills, the vocal lines are melodic and again inspired, the space for solo is bigger and helps him pull Hammett out of the box), and of course he knows best of all to make good songs. These are products of his talent, no doubt.

At the same time, when he has released his fourth work (beyond what he does with Alter Bridge) in six years, he proves that he is an artist who does not stop working and creating. In fact, with "A Dying Machine" it's first trying to write a concept album, so no one can even question the fact that it's still working and trying for something different.

Although originally his new album resembles a soundtrack of the previous three, it is actually something new for Tremonti. It is characteristic that Elvis Baskette's studio, along with Eric Friedman (guitar, bass) and Garrett Whitlock (drums), is almost entirely ready and the album has a homogeneity, which is largely determined from the history it deals with.

Sci-fi scenery takes place in the next century, where humans have created vessels, each of which is loaded with human DNA data that is chosen by its owner and unique as a human being. But at some point the vessels are revolted against their owners and a war begins between them. In the story that unfolds, the protagonist is a vessel programmed by her owner to love him to cover the pain of losing his wife, with song lyrics focusing more on the piece of emotions and tensions that arise than on the technological side of the concept.

As a consequence of the story, "A Dying Machine" is the darkest and probably the toughest work Tremonti has ever written and looks like a compact album from beginning to end. Somehow, his fourteen songs are not a disadvantage, as the "more than the sum of his parts" is required in such cases. However, there is no dependence between the compositions (nor reprises etc), with the result that each of them stands and illuminates.

There is a thrashy riffs and groove bursting on songs like Bringer Of War, "From The Sky", "Throw Them To The Lions", "Make It Hurt" and "The Day When Legions Burned" they offer generous opportunities for headbanging and poaching. Also, there are more catchy compositions such as the Trust, the melodic "The First The Last" and the first single "Take You With Me," in which he has something of punk rock. And finally there are the darkest moments, heavy and mid-tempo, such as the song "Traipse", "Desolation" or "As The Silence Becomes Me," which give emotional excitement during the album.

The best thing I find in "A Dying Machine" is that in just over an hour it lasts with "trapping" in its atmosphere and it pushes me to listen to it as a whole. So it gets extra value in relation to a job that would only have some individual louder songs, and with every listening I'm even more convinced of its value.

The only questions that may arise - which I personally are completely indifferent - are whether the synthetic dividing line between Alter Bridge and Tremonti becomes blurred in some places, but also how to convince the public two different camps, that of alternative metal and thrash metal (of Metallica School, Megadeth) to appreciate equally the musical mix of the two shows.

In fact, it is striking how indefinite Mark Tremonti looks like and with "A Dying Machine" creating another great album that will be enjoyed by those who are not afraid to cross musical bridges.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Haha I love that the riffs are “thrashy and f*cking”, according to the translation.

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

I also liked the quote "Tremonti is probably not very talented... and his career is just marketing"
TBH though, if someone ever told me that my riffs were simply "fucking" I would definitely take that as a compliment :humina :rockon . Also its a good thing Kirk Hammett stays inside a box like a Genie or something; waiting for Mark to call upon him. Also, I too, after a long day of poaching African elephants, tend to celebrate by headbanging. Fortunately, I am not afraid to cross musical bridges that would lead to indefinite amounts of Mark Tremonti music. Great review! :peace :headbang

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

So supposedly next Friday were supposed to get another single? I thought Marshall mentioned that.

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

As The Silence Becomes Me?

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

Yeah i don't remember off the top of my head where he posted it

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

You sure it's not this friday? Either way Itunes does have the song length up for "as the silence becomes me" so it's definitely that one.

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

June 1st. Next Friday.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Meh, i won't listen to that one then.