Tremonti pt #4 - A Dying Machine

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: Tremonti pt #4 - A Dying Machine

Post by Andy92 »

He’s addressed this before. He can’t sing and play overly complex riffs at the same time, so he tends to sing over chords and play more complex riffs when he’s not singing.

If he can’t do it live, he won’t do it in the studio.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Mark writing the types of vocal melodies and choruses he does is one of the main reasons I like his song writing so much. Perfect blend of heavy and melody for my tastes.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

VigilantSteve wrote:Mark writing the types of vocal melodies and choruses he does is one of the main reasons I like his song writing so much. Perfect blend of heavy and melody for my tastes.
:yeahthat
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Side note - anyone reckon that the opening is a nod to Holst's Mars (the Bringer of War)?

Not an identical drum beat but drew my attention anyway.
For all of the hope that it brings...

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

VigilantSteve wrote:Mark writing the types of vocal melodies and choruses he does is one of the main reasons I like his song writing so much. Perfect blend of heavy and melody for my tastes.
I semi-agree with this, because sometimes it sounds fantastic and sometimes it doesn’t fit at all. I only listen to the first minute of Brains because I always felt the chorus didn’t fit the riff and verses at all.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

AB4Lyfe wrote:
I semi-agree with this, because sometimes it sounds fantastic and sometimes it doesn’t fit at all. I only listen to the first minute of Brains because I always felt the chorus didn’t fit the riff and verses at all.
Haha, I have the same issue with Brains. I just love the first part of the song, but the rest I think doesn't live up to it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I’ll agree that there are times it sounds more awkward, like a chorus is just cut-pasted into the song. But I like how he writes choruses with strong melodies. That’s the kind of writing that always set Metallica above bands like Megadeth and Anthrax.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Ubik wrote:Side note - anyone reckon that the opening is a nod to Holst's Mars (the Bringer of War)?

Not an identical drum beat but drew my attention anyway.
That's a really good find. This is too big of a coincidence, so I reckon yes.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

@Andy92: up until St. Anger, the Metallica songs flowed for the most part. The transitions never felt awward, and most of the choruses sounded like they belonged to the song. Death Magnetic, on the other hand, sounded like an album whose parts were virtually assembled on Pro-tools.
Also, Megadeth had some great melodies in the early nineties, and they haven't been a full-on thrash band since 1990.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

chtimixeur wrote:@Andy92: up until St. Anger, the Metallica songs flowed for the most part. The transitions never felt awward, and most of the choruses sounded like they belonged to the song. Death Magnetic, on the other hand, sounded like an album whose parts were virtually assembled on Pro-tools.
Also, Megadeth had some great melodies in the early nineties, and they haven't been a full-on thrash band since 1990.
My general comment was regarding how strong melodies made Metallica more popular than other metal bands. Musically they aren’t THAT unique. It was the vocals, melodies, lyrics, and the whole package that set them apart.

I liked Megadeth well enough, but everything they did up through Rust In Peace was better than the rest of their 90s stuff. Dave just isn’t that good of a singer. They’re better when they stick to thrash imo.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

A small summary: A Dying Machine has over 350k plays on Spotify. All of Tremonti's singles were/are featured on Spotify's New Metal playlist so far. Furthermore Take You With Me was played pretty regularly on Octane. Do you guys think, that the new album will perform better than the other 3? At least the number of plays for A Dying Machine seems pretty high for me, within this short time period. The Tremonti song which was streamed the most on Spotify is Dust with 2 million plays.

Edit: https://twitter.com/JoHoRadio08/status/ ... 1540311040
Acoustic versions of Tremonti songs? :eek

Marshall
White Knuckled

Post by Marshall »

Yes - they did "Take You With Me" and a cover of "Just What I Needed" by The Cars.

Eric did a live feed:
https://www.facebook.com/EricCFriedman/ ... 013422712/
https://www.facebook.com/EricCFriedman/ ... 686749478/

By the way - did anyone notice the autotuned part at BRINGER OF WAR (0:43 min - "...armed ...")?
This sounds way too artificial in my opinion...

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Mr. Slash wrote:Do you guys think, that the new album will perform better than the other 3?
I doubt it.
The sales have really declined for everyone over the last couple of years.
If the album wasn't available on streaming platforms for a while (let's say a month or two), it might have a chance to sell a decent number of copies, but weirdly, almost nobody does that, and albums are available on streaming platforms on day one.
We're living in a streaming world nowadays, and rock/metal artists just don't pull big numbers compared to pop and hip-hop ones.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

chtimixeur wrote:
Mr. Slash wrote:Do you guys think, that the new album will perform better than the other 3?
I doubt it.
The sales have really declined for everyone over the last couple of years.
If the album wasn't available on streaming platforms for a while (let's say a month or two), it might have a chance to sell a decent number of copies, but weirdly, almost nobody does that, and albums are available on streaming platforms on day one.
We're living in a streaming world nowadays, and rock/metal artists just don't pull big numbers compared to pop and hip-hop ones.
I'm not necessarily talking about album sales, more about popularity in general. Tremonti seems to have a fan base which consists mostly of Alter Bridge fans.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

That's not surprising, since his music has been quite similar to AB's so far. I know some people feel that adding a bunch of metal riffs sets them totally apart, but I'm a positive a casual rock/metal listener will immediately be able to tell he's "the dude from Alter Bridge".
"Take you with me " is a bit of a departure, though, so it may do well on the charts, and I'm confident he's going to win some Foo Fighters fans over. That's the kind of song the Foos haven't been able to write for quite some time, so let's cross fingers for him.

facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by facelessman07 »

Did they really just cover that song???

Wow, that was awesome!

Someone photoshop a Circuit City shirt on Mark!

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

One of the most random covers ever! But Mark and Eric killed it! The people demand a Tremonti acoustic album!

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

On the topic of how the majority of Tremonti fans are most likely AB fans, I don't know why Mark and Myles are not as daring for AB as they did for their recent solo albums.

I mean would there be really a backlash among AB fans if AB stated that they will incorporate banjos, mandolins, resonators, lap-steel guitars, etc. in an AB album? Oddly enough, given the guys that Myles likes like Warren Haynes and Ian Thornley, I'm surprised that he did not incorporate a slide in Year of the Tiger, unless he did and I didn't catch it.

Would people turn on AB if they decided to create a steampunk-like sci-fi like setting concept album and team up with a steampunk writer to write an accompany novel? I mean Dream Theater got some backlash for creating The Astonishing and yeah, it wasn't the perfect album, but there were still great songs on it and you got to give them points for trying to do something outside what they usually do and not just rehash what they are known for and made an album that no one really expected.

Whose to say that AB can't be that band that does all of these cool things like incorporate unorthodox instruments and write a concept album and novel? So why can't they?

Marshall
White Knuckled

Post by Marshall »

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

That just what I needed cover is preeetttty damn great
Thanks Timo!