DUST Song Meanings

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

DUST Song Meanings

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

So while there hasn't been an official track-by-track interview of Dust yet where they explain each song, there has been bits and pieces of information released about what some songs mean.

'Dust' is about how it feels to watch a close friend lose confidence in you

Dust’ is about losing faith in people.

http://www.lordsofmetal.nl/en/interviews/view/id/5713

Tore My Heart Out’ is more a kind of song about complaisance in the world.”

'Rising Storm' Yeah that is the kind of song inspired by when I see all these religious holy wars and the hatred that is possibly growing from violence on both sides. When you fight it, it just creates more violence in the world, so it is this kind of double edged sword and a cycle of hatred.

'Unable To See' That song is just about how music in my life has really been my escape and no matter what twists and turns life’s fate might take me on, it will always be. Being as professional as possible in music is what drives me in life.

Betray Me’ is obvious about someone who betrays people.

My Last Mistake’ is about someone not having the guts to say no to someone who comes in your life with very bad influences.

So while there's still some songs left undefined even to the smallest degree ('Never Wrong', 'Once Dead, 'The Cage', 'Catching Fire', etc) I figure we could give our opinions on what we think those songs mean, or even expand on some of the other songs Mark may have already mentioned. Once he talks more about the meaning behind the songs on Dust, I'll update the OP so it's easier to find.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: DUST Song Meanings

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/cqkgWjRQH9U[/youtube]

My Last Mistake is one of my favorite tracks off of Dust, It’s the opening track and it’s a song about having a bad influence in your life that you just can’t break away from. It could be a bad influence or it could be a drug habit or any kind of bad habits in general. Its mainly about a person in your life that you can’t break away from that kinda drags you down.

The Cage is a song that I dig because of it’s energy and it’s got a different feel than the rest of the stuff. It’s one of the tougher songs for me to sing because it’s high the whole time but it’s got one of my favorite solos on the record. It’s just about a person who wouldn’t listen to anybody, who just wouldn’t take anybodies advice and just ran themselves and is their own worst enemy.

Once Dead is kind of this song that was based on this speed metal kind of rhythm that I dug. It’s kind of fantasy story about almost like this necromancer who’s died and been brought back to life many times and he’s seen many generations of life and it’s kind of based on a few characters I’ve read in books.

Dust the title track is probably my favorite song on the album, it’s a song about a friend losing confidence in you and walking away and you being heartbroken about it. It’s one of the most emotional songs on the record. It’s probably got my favorite solo as well on there.

Betray Me Is very straight-forward, it’s about betrayal and the verses speak of how trust and loyalty is a fragile thing and I kind of treat it in the song that it’s something that should be loved and cherished.

Tore My Heart Out is a song that has some of my favorite riffs in there; the pre-chorus riff, the bridge riff were some of my favorites. It’s one of the more mid-tempo, melodic tunes. It’s a song about complaisance and seeing people born with a silver spoon in their mouths and not doing anything with what they’ve been given.

Catching Fire built around the main riff, has Mark’s favorite bridge on the whole record.

Never Wrong One of the more moody songs on the record, is based upon somebody who comes into your life and manipulates you. They stick around you when you’re up but when you’re on the way down they take what they can from you and they walk the other way.

Rising Storm Originally called “Laid to waste”, It’s a song about all the holy wars and all the tension, the religious tensions in the world, and all the havoc that’s created.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Once Dead is kind of this song that was based on this speed metal kind of rhythm that I dug. It’s kind of fantasy story about almost like this necromancer who’s died and been brought back to life many times and he’s seen many generations of life and it’s kind of based on a few characters I’ve read in books.
I take it that's the character on the throne in the lyric book.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Fish Tacos wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Once Dead is kind of this song that was based on this speed metal kind of rhythm that I dug. It’s kind of fantasy story about almost like this necromancer who’s died and been brought back to life many times and he’s seen many generations of life and it’s kind of based on a few characters I’ve read in books.
I take it that's the character on the throne in the lyric book.
That's who I thought about when I heard that description.

RnFnHomer
Brand New Start

Post by RnFnHomer »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Sun May 01, 2016 2:39 pm So while there hasn't been an official track-by-track interview of Dust yet where they explain each song, there has been bits and pieces of information released about what some songs mean.

'Dust' is about how it feels to watch a close friend lose confidence in you

Dust’ is about losing faith in people.

http://www.lordsofmetal.nl/en/interviews/view/id/5713

Tore My Heart Out’ is more a kind of song about complaisance in the world.”

'Rising Storm' Yeah that is the kind of song inspired by when I see all these religious holy wars and the hatred that is possibly growing from violence on both sides. When you fight it, it just creates more violence in the world, so it is this kind of double edged sword and a cycle of hatred.

'Unable To See' That song is just about how music in my life has really been my escape and no matter what twists and turns life’s fate might take me on, it will always be. Being as professional as possible in music is what drives me in life.

Betray Me’ is obvious about someone who betrays people.

My Last Mistake’ is about someone not having the guts to say no to someone who comes in your life with very bad influences.

So while there's still some songs left undefined even to the smallest degree ('Never Wrong', 'Once Dead, 'The Cage', 'Catching Fire', etc) I figure we could give our opinions on what we think those songs mean, or even expand on some of the other songs Mark may have already mentioned. Once he talks more about the meaning behind the songs on Dust, I'll update the OP so it's easier to find.
(i'm reviving all kinds of old threads since i came here looking for answers to some questions)

I was listening to Dust/Cauterize last week, with the company of the inserts as usual, and begin to wonder..."why was not this a double album release?"...Was that ever discussed?. That's one...like a side question

'DUST' is a song that struck me hard. Really really hard

I lost my dad to a heart attack outta the blue when i was 27. When you think about your loved ones yo go on the soft side of things...like an "In Loving Memory" mindset...Then you begin to wonder about the "why?"...And that damn question takes you to dark places...

Myles wrote: "Drawn to the light but now the light is dead and gone. If there is a god why did he take my father's soul?", and later he adds "Voices inside, they keep screaming in my head. A choir of anguish pulling me into the dark" ('Devil on The Wall' - Year Of The Tiger)

'DUST', to me personally; is about flipping the middle fingers to the heavens in a loud roar...Is about loosing faith in god like it means shit, because he left you with nothing but sorrow...But that's just me :shrug