DUST Media Reviews

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: DUST - reviews

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

http://tombstone-webzine.de/tremonti-dust-cd-review/

TRANSLATION:
For years eked Mark Tremonti in the shadows behind the frontmen Scott Stapp (Creed) and Myles Kennedy (Alter Bridge). As guitar virtuoso who at most times took on the backing vocals, he was a marginal phenomenon in these two bands, which he co-founded one. His unbridled creative urge to create it's probably ultimately owed, that he with his solo debut album "2012 All I Was " itself to the forefront pulled. Immediately was certified him that his roots are unmistakable and will in several places Creed and Alter Bridge would by sound. At the same time but you also presented with surprise that he can pluck more than just the strings and has also vocally a lot to offer: less supported vocally concise, but with a gentle charm which stands out well from the harder variety of his own compositions. An organ, which can even dominate the sharper metal rhythms yet. All the more gratifying that " All I Was " no fluke remained and 2015 with " Cauterize " a really strong alternative metal disc was nachgeschoben.

Music producer Michael "Elvis" Baskette , already for the productions of different ages bridge was responsible albums, was also at the second plant as the perfect choice. This collaboration seemed Mark Tremonti to be in a creative frenzy. He did not only the 10 time appeared tracks, but also the 10 pieces that soon on the third album " Dust will appear". What makes this accomplished songwriter and singer so incredibly likeable? Probably it is precisely this creative zest, coupled with his humility.

TremontiUnmistakably makes the riffige opener " My Last Mistake clear" what awaits the audience at several of the ensuing nine pieces. Fast-paced and punchy metal sound, which can hold a candle to the big names of the genre. Tremonti keeps vocally well with the heavier sound with and acts scratchy and more powerful than it seems to be the case with the previous tracks. You keep this please always keep in mind that these new songs at the same time with the pieces of " Cauterize incurred". No committee to be quickly pressed on another shekel, and made ​​money, but a real variation to the 2015er compositions. Also, " The Cage " makes itself in the ranks of brisk Metal numbers not bad. Drummer Garret Whitlock is a decent scent mark of his skill, which is in " Once Dead discharges" in a true percussion thunderstorms. These three opening songs create a massive pace on the day and leave only the breakdowns, the time for a quick breather. In " Once Dead " presents Tremonti melodic and soft, but the flowing around sound framework around it can act even harder. The fast and precise riffing, which is otherwise known from the thrash metal acts shrill and raw against the soft voice. The title track " Dust " turns out to be as following even as a haven of peace and is with its warm acoustic guitars my secret favorite. As a Radio Ready-metal anthem, so it gives the appearance that favors with their catchy rhythms sweep the swaying and lighters. However, this cuddly feeling'd be long, because striking the words pierce " How could you betray me " in the ear canal and make a tidy sympathize. " Betray Me " but has nothing balladesque itself, but waits for the typical metallic E-string riffs that creaking mightily out of the speakers. However, at tonal hardness of this piece has not really arrived back at the three input songs. Sluggish and dark remains " Goals My Heart Out arrested in the same subject". The guitars are played with a lot of feeling and let in her nature to resonate some heartache. Especially with this piece clearly illustrates the balancing act Tremonti ventures between catchy rhythms and dramatic metal sound. After so emotionally laden song lines it is time for bolder riffs.

Tremonti" Catching Fire " brings the outset ailing hardness back. Actually, it would already have been at the time the string virtuosos Eric Friedman and Brian Marshall to bring into play especially - after all, they are the ones who sounded the pieces as rich and powerful. They are in addition to Tremonti itself responsible for all the nice reef storm, relying on " Dust rich" with the equally strong drum parts hand. " Never Wrong " discloses yet another page in the musical variance of Tremonti . Amazing rocky and generally rather settled in this midtempo track developed into a wonderfully powerful Guitar number to which it Mark Tremonti again manages to vocally perfectly adapt to the circumstances. Back to its metallic preference it comes with " Rising Storm " that helds some nice acoustic guitar sounds in addition to the typical metal riffs. By now you realize that the drawer unit in the one Tremonti wants stuck, not enough can have drawers. From hard headbanger metal, thrashy riffing on to soulful ballads and rocking Mitwippern one finds here everything your heart desires. With " Unable To See 'fetches Mark Tremonti out even once all the great Romantic club that so much of Creeds " Arms Wide Open remembers ". Who ever wanted to whip out the lighter the title track, it is at this point do the same again, with a comforting shivers on the skin. With such a rich diversity of absolutely no boredom. It's almost disappointed that "after the ten tracks Dust " is already over. This problem can be the repeat button on the local system and an even greater pleasure brings you yourself, if you equal the ten tracks from " Cauterize takes" with it. Because these are easy with this, even if they have already been published a year earlier.

Conclusion : You can tell Mark Tremonti to his boundless energy. " Dust " is a bit harder and faster than his previous albums. It seems that move is slowly but steadily, step by step away from Creed and Alter Bridge . The combination of catchy rhythms, thundering drums, haunting riffs and a voice that persistently drills into the ear canal, the same appeal to many music fans. I personally like Tremonti still in quiet pieces as " Dust " and especially " Unable To See on all best". However, I'm also a fan of early Creed albums and Metal is not really my turf. Is gathering dust this record with me still not. In this work you can feel the creative passion Tremonti in every note and put improbable. All too quickly faded to doing its environment and can be carried away by the rhythms.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Aardschok magazine cd of the month! Sorry it's in Dutch, and I don't have time to translate it now...
http://aardschok.com/cd-van-de-maand-102

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

fix wrote:Aardschok magazine cd of the month! Sorry it's in Dutch, and I don't have time to translate it now...
http://aardschok.com/cd-van-de-maand-102
In his years as a guitarist Mark Tremonti of Creed already proved that there is a good songwriter dwells in him, but only after the implosion of the American rock band, he came back as a musician unleashed. As the driving force behind Alter Bridge with vocalist Myles Kennedy, he heard what he really as a guitarist in the house. As we now know, it did not stop there. In the summer of 2012, he came up with an album that was produced by a band that bore his name. He then also manifested itself as a singer. It was perhaps not quite the speed metal project for us was mirrored in several interviews, but the hard, compact plate was not less. As a singer he was also more than convincing. The creativity was meanwhile bubbled. appeared during the sessions for last year 'Cauterize' turned out to be recorded enough material for up to two albums. 'Dust' is the second album. There is, moreover, at that time, based on quality and style made a good distribution, so 'Dust' is not intended as a full plate dusted (sorry) pickings. Likewise, it makes absolutely do not listen. Again with, among others, bassist Wolfgang Van Halen (indeed, son of) and producer Michael "Elvis" Baskette recorded album includes a diverse selection of strong songs. The album's tentative start with "My Last Mistake", "The Cage" and "Once Dead", great rock songs, put down a nice tight quartet playing. Especially in the latest issue of the American soloist the stars of heaven. The title track is a rock ballad in the style like Creed ever high injoeg the charts. Great song by the way, also strongly sung by Tremonti. It is the beginning of a more modest part of the album, where we continue "Betray Me," "Tore My Heart Out," "Never Wrong" and encounter the closing "Unable To See". Spicy work as "Catching Fire" and "Rising Storm" However, make sure that things never collapses. The ten songs together form a varied and particularly strong album. A twin brother / sister 'Cauterize, but with enough quality and character to stand on its own feet.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Thanks! :peace

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

8/10 Review: http://mwiemetalblog.over-blog.com/2016 ... -dust.html
(8/10) Mark Tremonti releases his highly anticipated new solo album "Dust" in the coming days, which is, I guess, a great moment for all fans of the iconic guitarist. "Dust" was recorded already during the "Cauterize" session. Tremonti had material for two full-length records and what makes more sense than splitting it up into two releases. By doing this Tremonti can easily bridge the waiting time till the next Alter Bridge album will see the light of day somewhere later this year.

"Dust" comes with 10 tracks that aren't throw-outs from the "Cauterize" session. Each of the tunes on "Dust" can easily handle a comparison with the predecessor.

The album starts pretty heavy. "My Last Mistake" is the name of the opener that is introduced by an enormous riff. This song is real stuff for headbangers and one of the most powerful tracks on the album. I like these downtuned riffs "The Last Mistake" provides. And I like that Tremonti has chosen this number as the opener. It's a real energizer that brings you into the right mood for the upcoming nine songs.

"The Cage" includes the pleasure of slow, almost Sabbath-like, riffs in the middle part before Tremonti unveils again his virtuosity. In the end it's a typical Tremonti song that's spiced-up a bit.

"Once Dead" doesn't sound very optimistic and indeed, it's one of the darker tracks on the album that has some raging instrumental parts combined with a melodic chorus. This interplay give the tune the tension needed and it shows why Tremonti once said that the harder tracks become Tremonti ones.

The title track has an acoustic beginning and spreads a certain ease, something that doesn't last for too long. But to my surprise it's not a giant break that kills the silence. The tune slowly builds up to a moderate paced Tremonti song that is beautiful. It's a song that differs a bit from the rest of the album and I'm surprised that "Dust" became the name giver for the entire album. Anyhow, an emotional moment on "Dust" and a good song too.

"Catching Fire" starts gloomy and dark, something that characterizes the entire song, esp. in the verse. Towards the end it gets more soulful again. "Unable to See" is more a rock song than a metal track, at least in the beginning. After such a soulful start things get harder again and the tune develops into a real anthem that should become a fix part of the Tremonti setlist.

"Dust" offers what you expect, well done Tremonti songs that are slightly harder than Alter Bridge. Each of the tracks is a little highlight in itself and the entire album will be a treat for each Tremonti/Alter Bridge fan.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

9/10 Review: http://www.rockfreaks.net/albums/8288
Mark Tremonti is undoubtedly one of the most well-known guitarists in modern music, especially after last year’s release of “Cauterize”. While I had my reservations that it was essentially a heavier Alter Bridge album, it still slaughtered all expectations and pushed the songwriting talents of the axeman into all sorts of popularity. Now with part two, “Dust” soon to be released, Tremonti is ready to perhaps distance his solo material from the other bands he represents.

“Dust” picks up where “Cauterize” left off, opening track “My Last Mistake” launches into the expected heavy riffs Tremonti has become known for. Instantly we have an anthem, Tremonti’s enchanting voice is equally as dominant as his fretwork, the combination of his big hooks and powerful vocals instantly make you want more. “The Cage” fulfils in the same manner the opener did, pushing the verses atmosphere darker and heavier. This just makes the chorus even more uplifting and heartfelt, and Tremonti’s guitar technicality in the solo never ceases to amaze. Neither does Garrett Whitlock's machine gun like drum work, his beats are relentless throughout.

The heavy verse to anthemic chorus formula becomes somewhat of a trend as “Once Dead” unleashes some of the most brutal riffs of the album along with a yet more captivating vocal hooks in the chorus. Title-track “Dust” then stands out like a sore thumb. “Dust” is a lot softer and balladesque, this is where the Myles Kennedy influence in Tremonti’s voice really shines. The vocals switch from a soothing tone in the verse to a big enthralling atmosphere in the chorus, both are quite beautiful to listen to. The nice guitar melodies and more of Tremonti’s fascinating and complicated solos continue to impress. There is no doubt that this track will be a live favourite.

Throughout the rest of this release, Tremonti balances the heavy, anthemic and atmospheric influences in a sublime fashion. What is more spectacular is that there is no filler track on the album, every song has the potential to be an anthemic hit or a huge rock ballad. “Tore My Heart Out” for one showcases the best of Tremonti’s entrancing soft side and his desire to play crushing riffs at any given moment.

After “Cauterize” I didn’t think I could be any more impressed with Tremonti’s musicianship. But, everything that stood out on last year’s effort has improved greatly on “Dust”. The Guitar work is both heavier and alluring, the choruses are more hooking, the melodies and the vocals are equally glamorous and powerful in places. All in all, this is festival headlining material.

Download: My Last Mistake, Dust, Tore My Heart Out
I would assume by Download he means the 3 tracks he liked the most. I'm happy that TMHO was listed as one of them. :D

Kreuger33
Loyal Follower

Post by Kreuger33 »

I agree about the Myles incluence on Dust. The descending line in the chorus immediately made me think of Bent to Fly.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Half-assed review but he gave it 3.5/5: http://themusic.com.au/music/albumrevie ... dan-crabb/
"The fusion is aggressive, yet digestible."

Recorded during the same sessions as last year's Cauterize, guitarist/vocalist Mark Tremonti (Alter Bridge, Creed) has made a concerted effort to emphasise that Dust isn't merely throwaways from the aforementioned studio stint.

This focused collection of rockers largely attests to that. Tremonti built much of his musical empire on radio-ready, hooky choruses a la rollicking My Last Mistake. Conversely, you can trace his classic metal and thrash DNA throughout. The fusion is aggressive, yet digestible. Tremonti stretches his vocal range during the soaring title track, while bassist Wolfgang Van Halen infuses a unique flavour, evidently revelling in operating outside the familial fold.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

5/5 Review: http://www.deepground.de/music-review/tremonti-dust/

TRANSLATED:
Has Mark Tremonti only last year the great solo album "Cauterize" placed on the market, its fans are also happy in 2016 with a new work. Quite unexpectedly that comes, however, not as "Dust" was already announced the release of "Cauterize". And as Alter Bridge fans, the heart goes up again, because who an eternity waiting for new material by Alter Bridge, for the is Mark Tremonti's solo project a welcome stopover.

A stopover yes, a publication is only in between "Dust" but not for long, because here Mark Tremonti skin one hit after the other out. Songwriting is him, the sound has proved him right and the success we do not want to speak only.

"My Last Mistake" is the first track on "Dust". High-propelled guitars derive the title, the then prepared in the Rock / Metal thunderstorm on the discharge. Mark Tremonti sounding really tough and that makes extremely fun while listening.

The metal influences are on "Dust" as strong as on "Cauterize"; good to hear in "My Last Mistake" to the rhythmic ingredients that groove rough. In "Once Dead" there are even blastbeat Action.

The title track "Dust" comes in addition to the whole "muscle Tracks" more in ballads garment therefore, but even this song is (somewhat clichéd and playful, but still) good.

But wait "Catching Fire" or "Rising Storm" were real beasts on the handset while "Unable To See" a beautiful finish for "Dust" takes. The considerably harder line can convince just because Mark Tremonti and his crew playing here not just their music comes from the heart and the band Bock on hard sounds; Alter Bridge, it is then too a little sweeter.

The sound of "Dust" is the band's perfect because the guitars sound tired yet clear. For fans of shrill 1990 Metallica guitars that is nothing but the modern listener should enjoy it.
Despite the powerful sounds the guys are always dynamic. In the head of the listener immediately forms an imaginary circle pit.
Solos should not be missed. As usual fit and not fake acting, find Tremonti balance between skill and traceability.

"Dust" is self-contained, highly replayable, songwriting class, overall very balanced and still has more steam than its predecessor "Cauterize". Whether in between in one run or by random selection of songs for the consumer, "Dust convinces with its rock-metal mix.
Until the release of the new Alter Bridge disc should hereby so perfect, the waiting time can be shortened.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

http://www.rocking.gr/reviews/album/Tremonti-Dust/6624

TRANSLATED
Who is Mark Tremonti normally would not even have to enter the process to mention in a review of personal disk preface. Although as far as I can understand, the Familia of Alter Bridge has started to become somewhat known in our country, and again ... considering their artistic value are desperately few.

It may just be a few months ago released his second solo album amazing, but it was already known that he had recorded another ten songs that will see the light of day in a very short time. He could argue that one of the songs of "Dust" is the leftovers of the synthetic process of "Cauterize" ? Perhaps, but the truth is that even if this is the case, does not affect so negatively -as would expect kapoios- the result arrives from the speakers to our ears.

Let's start with the basics then. Production of Baskette is once again exemplary. The rhythm section of Whitlock / Van Halen (son) real bass riff wall and the only cliché expressions you can describe them as "concrete", "punch in the face", "to grab the neck," etc.

The inaugural "My Last Mistake" states the obvious and what is mentioned above. Add the amazing vocal lines and excellent placements of Tremonti and the slow passage before the beautiful solo. In "The Cage" has this voice melody is capable of you stuck in the mind and to sing all day and covers the thrash riffs of "Once Dead" will get to level everything before you actually take off the entire phase in extremely catchy chorus.

For the homonymous song what can one say? The Arpeggiated, the gradual increase in momentum before the outbreak in solo and of course the large chorus, making the construction of an exemplary composition. The "Betray Me" one could perhaps say that it is something that we have heard from Mark (brings much to Alter Bridge), but these amazing vocal melodies that stick in your mind and that for no reason you can not ignore.

Pain of the second "Tore My Heart Out", which lyrically and musically in sending unread by the informal sad trilogy complement the very good "Unable To See" which runs on a more acoustic and calmly trails. I can not consider the "Catching Fire" (despite the amazing middle part), "Never Wrong" and "Rising Storm" something very special as compositions, but this is obviously songs on the disc course you can not ignore, nor to slightly overtaking the heart, as if the visualizations will be able to see the honest sweat of Mark to run on its forehead, and the soul that sees singing.

Overall, what stands out beyond the alien playing Tremonti, are once again very inspired vocal lines and melodies that are able to show as the voice of a simple good singer, no matter how much those songs that otherwise might They do not seem to have been to offer something more.

Of course, to tell the truth, I lift my eyes just above the text and read the word "leftovers" and not sit me well. There sits my well because the disk is once again poiotikotatos and will satisfy the most of the believer. What if it did not surpass the bar that only has put rocketing? The Mark still hovers well above the average for combining spectacle with substance. And you're ... coming and new Alter Bridge in autumn.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

9/10: http://www.maximumvolumemusic.com/revie ... dust-2016/
Alter Bridge man casually tosses out one of the hard rock records of the year

Those of us that were no good at sport at school of being jealous of the kid that was the best footballer, the best at running, the best at everything. Hell, they even got off with the girl you really liked at the school disco. Despite all this, though, they were actually an all-round decent chap and, try as you might, you just couldn’t hate them.

Before we disappear too far into MVM’s youthful private hell – and believe us losing Dawn Hughes at the disco in 1990 still hurts to this day – it is worth saying that these feelings were stirred up by the third record from Tremonti.

Most people, you would assume anyway, would have been content with being part of just one million selling bunch of arena botherers, not Mark Tremonti. Instead he recruited Myles Kennedy and did with Alter Bridge what he had previously done with Creed.

Then, as well as the fact he can play the guitar like a god, he decides to form a band that carries his name. Lo and behold they are pretty damn good too. In fact, that’s not correct, because “Dust” is better than good, it’s brilliant.

The ten songs here, right from the opening notes of the Dream Theater-esque “My Last Mistake” are so confident, so classy and so damn catchy that you forget any notion of jealousy and instead get your fists in the air, before being swept along in its slipstream.

“The Cage” is an absolutely mighty slice of arena rock, with a solo that out Slash’s Slash if you will, with the more heavy metal orientated “Once Dead” – complete with some fine drumming from Garrett Whitlock – refuses all efforts to constrain it.

Things here are not all about bluster, though. The title track is a nice line in unashamed balladry, mobile phone lights the world over will shine brightly for “Tore My Heart Out” and “Never Wrong” does mid-paced radio rock as well as anybody. The only conclusion to be reached here, is that huge hooks are something that Tremonti evidently can do without even thinking about it.

There is a feeling however, that Tremonti, the band, and Tremonti, the man, are actually happier when they are erring on the heavy side of things. “Betray Me” – perhaps the best thing here – crushes, “Catching Fire”, appropriately the slowest burner, does menacing before it cuts loose, sees the band seemingly having fun, as Wolfgang Van Halen pounds the bass into submission, while “Never See” merrily sets about destroying everything in its path and salting the earth for good measure.

Thing end with what is initially the most understated, stripped back thing here. The gorgeous, acoustic driven first couple of minutes of “Unable To See” are lovely, but “Dust” isn’t that kind of record, so it soars away instead.

Instead, what “Dust” is instead, is unashamedly massive. It is proud that it wants to be number one in about 46 countries, and it’s a big screw you to anyone who says rock is dead. It’s also magnificent.

Rating 9/10

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

http://noisefull.com/reviews/tremonti-dust
Heavy rock’s best current composer and guitarist strikes again with solo album #3

I don’t think that a long prologue about Mark Tremonti is necessary. Instead, I’ll prefer to make a statement. Mark is the greatest guitarist/composer of our time, at least in the field of heavy rock (and maybe beyond).

Technically, this is his third solo album, but in fact it’s the second part of a double album recorded in 2015. The first part ended up being the amazing "Cauterize" and now we get to hear ten more tracks that form "Dust". If someone rushes into the conclusion that this album is filled with leftovers, that’s surely not the case.

Well, to be honest, even this guy’s leftovers would be better than the average songs out there. Especially, in this time of his career he seems to have Midas’ touch.

His riffing is once again as solid as a wrecking ball coming straight to your face. And, man, he may not be the best vocalist in the world, but he’s amazingly talented in writing vocal lines. Every verse and every chorus is so damn good that it’s hard to explain where he draws inspiration from.

Then it’s the sound that Elvis Baskette has taken care of once more, and is flawless. All whilst Eric Friedman, Wolfgang Van Halen and Garret Whitlock create a great team that gives additional value to Mark’s ideas and performance.

On top, it’s the great lyrics. They’re dark and personal, sometimes cutting like a knife, talking about betrayal, regrets, fears and anger and such topics, proving once again that Mark is also a fantastic lyricist.

The album starts with the dynamic "My Last Mistake" and along with the powerful "The Cage" and the thrashy "Once Dead", they bring along a serious case of the headbangs. The title track is maybe the best song Mark has written for his solo band, incorporating an excessively catchy chorus. "Betray Me" is another dynamite of a track and the emotional "Tore My Heart Out" can make you sing your lungs out with its chorus. "Catching Fire" is great overall, but it’s that middle section part that showcases what Tremonti is capable of. "Never Wrong" and "Rising Storm" are just typical Tremonti songs, but "Unable To See" closes the album perfectly, being the most heartfelt composition in it.

Overall, "Dust" is exactly what his fans are waiting from him. It may be slightly less impressive than "Cauterize", but it’s surely another brilliant album, coming straight from one of the greatest artists of our times. The new James Hetfiled some might say and I wouldn’t disagree...

Brace yourself, cause Mark will strike again in a few months with the new Alter Bridge album.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

10/10 Review: http://time-for-metal.eu/tremonti-dust/

TRANSLATED:
There is indeed this very creative minds that are already active in other bands, but there can not be realized to the extent that they need that. For some, this is so unsatisfactory that they then just start their own band. So that has made ​​the already Grammy nominated and already honored with several platinum albums singer / songwriter / guitarist Mark Tremonti. For simplicity, it has designated this band after himself, and so there Tremonti since 2010. So far, two albums have been released, and in the work on the previous album Cauterize from 2015 as many songs are still written by Mark Tremonti, that he is thought "hey, then we make it equal to the next album." Said and done, on 04.29.2016 appear on Fret12 Records the third studio album Dust. One can say beforehand already: here no leftovers was operated, and B-sides are not found here.

First of all, I must admit that I have not heard the two previous albums by Tremonti and therefore did not know that Mark Tremonti vocally but very close to Myles Kennedy (Alter Bridge) zoom comes. Full can reach you the well anyway, but Mark does his job here already really good and sounds at times confusingly similar.

If a reported good guitar player competes with his solo album, one may naturally assume that this is full of really successful riffs that way. And that is also equal to confirm the opener My Last Mistake, these riffs are not an end in itself, but part of this up-tempo song, as well as the rest of the instruments. And if this reported good guitarist and vocalist for the third solo album back on his proven team, through to producers, falls back, then there is also nothing to complain about. The beginning of a very high level (Mark Tremonti is actually a really good songwriter) is maintained until the end. There's actually not a song where my fingers would go only partially towards the skip button. On the contrary, I type very often on the repeat button.

Except for the power ballad (with thrashy statements) Goals My Heart Out and easily poaching in blues rock downtempo piece Never Wrong Tremonti actually think all the songs in the mid- and uptempo, often the pace is a little throttled in Chorus , but really good individual stanzas depart. The two over-ballads Dust and Unable To See Mark Tremonti sets a monument with me. That's terrific, not incredibly well, other of the world and touching, very deep - I have that now really written as a ballad professing Verweigerin?

The first question I was asked when I told that I write the review for this album, was "sound like Alter Bridge or Creed?". The comparison with Creed I would now, not venture down to the two ballads, in which Mark Tremonti even rudimentary as Scott Stapp sometimes sounds. Slightly Alter Bridge is here, however, can already be found, which is not even the worst.

Conclusion: The first Hördurchlauf for this album I have taken on the ride to work in the car, and that was the best idea I could have. With such a music nothing else matters as interested neither Drängler still Schleicher, the jam on the highway might like to take even longer, and the bemused glances from left and right, because I sit headbanging on the steering wheel (of course only in a traffic jam and red traffic lights), enjoy myself. Because each song is a small masterpiece in itself. For me, already a strong contender for album of the year Alternative Rock! At least Mr Tremonti has only once made to the throne and is likely to remain seated until time there. The only point deduction, which you could give would be for too short playing time ;-)

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Honestly, I never cared much for subjective awards such as album reviews, album of the year awards, oscars or the like. It's like that thing they do in sports like football and nascar where they announce every little thing as a statistic and make it seem important. ex: This guy was the first football coach from australia in 2015 the month of May to get a field goal during the first game of the playoffs, etc.

I mean, I know they have to talk about SOMETHING and give awards and whatnot, but still.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

cheesedip1 wrote:Honestly, I never cared much for subjective awards such as album reviews, album of the year awards, oscars or the like. It's like that thing they do in sports like football and nascar where they announce every little thing as a statistic and make it seem important. ex: This guy was the first football coach from australia in 2015 the month of May to get a field goal during the first game of the playoffs, etc.

I mean, I know they have to talk about SOMETHING and give awards and whatnot, but still.
I just see album reviews as confirmation that the music you listen to is as good as it is because other people feel the same way :lol Even if you shouldn't care what people think anyways. Other than that, album reviews are strictly subjective and opinionated so it's semi-meaningless. :shrug

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

5/5 Review: Full Metal Rock: http://www.fullmetalrock.com/DUST.html
“Dust”, the adrenaline infused companion to the 2015 “Cauterize” album by Tremonti, is due for release this Friday, April 29, 2016. Hold on to your ears because this is going to blow them clean off your head! Fans who were lucky enough to hear both albums played in their entirety back in January 2015 have been chomping at the bit ever since to hear these songs again.

In an unusual and extraordinary move, frontman Mark Tremonti went through his entire catalog of material in one massive purge. For a musician who has been writing at least since the early nineties, there must have been an incredible amount of partial songs, lyrics and riffs accumulated that had never been used. Rather than produce one extended album, he made the clever decision to record two 10-track albums simultaneously, and release them a year apart from each other. Having more pre-production time than was available during the “All I Was” sessions allowed Mark, guitarist Eric Friedman, bassist Wolfgang Van Halen and drummer Garrett Whitlock the ability to deconstruct and reconstruct the material into two definitively Tremonti, yet distinctly individual bodies of work.

Both albums were produced by Michael “Elvis” Baskette, who excels at obtaining the best out of artists, including Alter Bridge, Slash, Chevelle and Trivium. What he has been able to achieve with now his second and third solo album by Tremonti is nothing short of genius. The production and post production work brings a more polished sound than the first album yet retains the intensity and metal edge that this band has had from the start. “Cauterize” was greeted with an enormous amount of positivity by critics and fans alike, and was my pick for album of the year. Listening to “Dust” for the first time as a finished album, I’m expecting Tremonti to hold that #1 spot.

"My Last Mistake" starts with the sound of a little guitar feedback and a couple plucked notes, as if you’re stepping into the studio itself during a warm up and then, wham! Tremonti commences the 2 of the 1-2 punch these two albums deliver. The speed metal, heavy thrash sound we love from this quartet introduces us to the melodic vocals that make their sound so distinct. Head-banging heaviness and strong melodies with rich vocal harmonies are their signatures, and by the time the chorus ends I stop to wonder…. with the vocals Mark can deliver, how different things might have been had he believed in himself as a frontman back in his college years. That’s a topic for another time and place I think!

This opening track has a different sound to it than his previous works, but does not veer off so far that it in indistinguishable as Tremonti. It has something of a middle-eastern hint, perhaps due to the Phrygian dominant scale used in the guitar parts. This song is about “not being strong enough to break the severable ties of an all-consuming bad influence, whether it be a person, addiction or bad habits in general” and for me, it makes a real statement. It lets the listener know from the outset that this is not a collection of B-sides, or leftovers that didn’t make the cut. It defines Mark as a musician, and the band, in the sense that nothing they are going to give us is going to be anything less than an explosion of talent.

Garrett’s skills with poly-rhythms is absolutely mind blowing. And as if to further emphasize just how much this song has going on, the first half of verse four is delivered in a stripped back mode, bringing the full scale musical onslaught back in the fifth measure. The contrast makes a big impression, for which we’re graciously given a chorus and a bridge before they hit the sweet spot…. the guitar solo. Absolutely my favorite solo of the album, and possibly of all three Tremonti records. This song has me on the edge of my seat, and they're just getting started!!

I love the decision to start The Cage with a drum intro before the guitars/bass come in. Written about “a foolish person who was too stubborn to listen to the good advice of others and now walks the earth a broken man”, it jackhammers the lyrics of the verses, which are in one time signature, by having the instruments in a faster, staccato style; making it an absolute BEAST of a song! After the second chorus, the tempo slows (they must've been feeling the burn!). The bridge vocals, recorded in mono, an effect that works well for Mark, allow a brief respite. Then, a face-melting high speed guitar solo breaks out and is now vying for my favorite guitar solo spot. This song is INSANE at every level! Wolfgang’s bass line matches the speed and intricacy of the drums beat for beat and surely would require superhuman strength to play live. Due initially to Van Halen touring commitments and now due to Wolfgang working on his solo project, Tanner Keegan has been standing in as touring bassist since after ShipRocked 2015. Tanner has filled the role impeccably and there is no doubt of his ability to deliver not only the bass lines but also the vocal harmonies on the road.

For those loving the speed metal elements of Tremonti’s songs, and an opportunity to get the old mosh pit thrashing, Once Dead cranks it out in the shortest track of the album. At just over three minutes, it is more than sufficient time to get those sweat glands pumping. Garrett at his best throughout the song, we get not one but TWO guitar solos, with an underlying bass line that is incredible. Short but killer!

The title track happens to be Mark’s favorite song off both albums and describes “how it feels to watch a close friend lose confidence in you”. This is the first chance to catch your breath; a slow, somber ballad that builds in intensity but stays in the melodic rock zone. Always able to deliver a lyric that comes from deep in his gut, yet written with enough ambiguity that fans can apply their own interpretations and personal meanings, Dust is no exception. It would appear that while purging his catalogue, some demons were exorcized as well. The intro and the first two verses are played on a sole guitar, with Mark delivering the only vocals, giving it a very personal almost haunting vibe. Only after the end of the second verse does the rest of the band join in. This is the longest track of the album, and possibly the most mesmerizing. The way the song builds in intensity, before slowing back to just the sole guitar, it then diminishes until it fades completely.

Half-way through the album and there is every reason to believe this album is as good as “Cauterize”, if not better. Betray Me is bound to be a pleaser for the Alter Bridge fans among us; one of several songs on the two albums that have “that” sound to them, this being one of the heavier ones. Yet it can be instantly identified as being Tremonti, having the speed metal elements. Singing in his lower register for the first verse, only going into his upper register for impact halfway through the second verse, Mark is certainly stretching his range. The drums in this track are some of my favorite in the album, particularly during the guitar solo. Eric has known, and played with, Mark for more years than they’d probably want me to mention. That has resulted in a symbiotic musicality that is very rare. With Eric’s freer playing style and Mark’s dedication to perfection, our ears are treated to some of the best guitar riffs, shreds and wails of this generation.

Tore My Heart Out, with its low tune guitar sound, has more interesting aspects than I could cover in this review. The instrumental bridge between the second verse and the chorus, a low and dirty guitar riff, and oh my sweet metal lord an outro that starts with double time and then quadruple time that has me pulling trademark Tremonti facial expressions subconsciously! This was one of several “did I just hear what I think I heard” moments throughout “Dust”.

Catching Fire, with a thunderous bass in verse two, has to get a mention purely for the guitar work which is at levels where I start to run out of adjectives. After the second chorus, exactly at the half-way point of the track, actual magic takes place! Starting with the bass and lead guitar matching each other note for note, an octave above each other, with the drums keeping rhythm, breaking into a speed metal rhythm before all three guitars synchronize again an octave above each other, and a chorus breaks the hypnosis. I’m left wondering what the hell did I just hear! And as if Mark himself knew we’d be stunned, there’s a brief reminder before the song ends. We’re left with just the humming from the guitars; as if the guys just finished their set and walked off stage. I must have listened to this song more than any of the others, straining to work out the intricacies, before admitting defeat. Still, I would love to see the music sheets on this!

Tremonti’s lyrics have always had an edge to them, and you couldn't find a better example than Never Wrong.The lyrics and sound of “Dust” have a somewhat darker feel overall. Again, this band prove they can make you feel their music to your very core. I absolutely loved the drum cadence just before another guitar solo. Now I have several fighting for that my number one spot. The maturity in Mark’s voice since “All I Was” could be best exemplified with his vocals on this track. I believe he is only just tapping the surface of what he is capable of vocally, and that the best is yet to come.

If there were two songs on this album that could double as Alter Bridge songs, they would be Rising Storm and Unable to See. To a Tremonti fan, that might not seem necessary, but I see the logic in it and relish it. Unable to See is one of my favorite songs from not only “Dust” but “Cauterize” as well. It is an anthemic, arena filling song. Beginning with Mark singing the lower register, the tone of which had me admiring his voice while he was only doing backing vocals, it has me from the first line of the first verse. He doesn't go into the upper register until the third verse and there is a real power behind it when he does.The harmonies on this are some of the best of both albums. Get those lighters ready (yeah I know now it's phone lights, but I’m old school!)

As much as I love “All I was”, and was blown away by “Cauterize”, “Dust” has expanded everything I believed Tremonti to be capable of, exponentially. The bond that has developed both personally and professionally between the band members as individuals and as a unit has resulted in what I believe to be an endless source of outstanding music. Tremonti embodies the characteristics of knowing the basics but having a willingness to push the boundaries of what one is capable of. Again, I find myself telling you to add a Tremonti cd to your music catalogue. “Dust” is my album of 2016 so far, and I can’t see anything altering that! If you are lucky enough to be in Europe this summer, do not miss their tour (dates below).

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

http://www.maximumvolumemusic.com/revie ... dust-2016/
Alter Bridge man casually tosses out one of the hard rock records of the year

Those of us that were no good at sport at school of being jealous of the kid that was the best footballer, the best at running, the best at everything. Hell, they even got off with the girl you really liked at the school disco. Despite all this, though, they were actually an all-round decent chap and, try as you might, you just couldn’t hate them.

Before we disappear too far into MVM’s youthful private hell – and believe us losing Dawn Hughes at the disco in 1990 still hurts to this day – it is worth saying that these feelings were stirred up by the third record from Tremonti.

Most people, you would assume anyway, would have been content with being part of just one million selling bunch of arena botherers, not Mark Tremonti. Instead he recruited Myles Kennedy and did with Alter Bridge what he had previously done with Creed.

Then, as well as the fact he can play the guitar like a god, he decides to form a band that carries his name. Lo and behold they are pretty damn good too. In fact, that’s not correct, because “Dust” is better than good, it’s brilliant.

The ten songs here, right from the opening notes of the Dream Theater-esque “My Last Mistake” are so confident, so classy and so damn catchy that you forget any notion of jealousy and instead get your fists in the air, before being swept along in its slipstream.

“The Cage” is an absolutely mighty slice of arena rock, with a solo that out Slash’s Slash if you will, with the more heavy metal orientated “Once Dead” – complete with some fine drumming from Garrett Whitlock – refuses all efforts to constrain it.

Things here are not all about bluster, though. The title track is a nice line in unashamed balladry, mobile phone lights the world over will shine brightly for “Tore My Heart Out” and “Never Wrong” does mid-paced radio rock as well as anybody. The only conclusion to be reached here, is that huge hooks are something that Tremonti evidently can do without even thinking about it.

There is a feeling however, that Tremonti, the band, and Tremonti, the man, are actually happier when they are erring on the heavy side of things. “Betray Me” – perhaps the best thing here – crushes, “Catching Fire”, appropriately the slowest burner, does menacing before it cuts loose, sees the band seemingly having fun, as Wolfgang Van Halen pounds the bass into submission, while “Never See” merrily sets about destroying everything in its path and salting the earth for good measure.

Thing end with what is initially the most understated, stripped back thing here. The gorgeous, acoustic driven first couple of minutes of “Unable To See” are lovely, but “Dust” isn’t that kind of record, so it soars away instead.

Instead, what “Dust” is instead, is unashamedly massive. It is proud that it wants to be number one in about 46 countries, and it’s a big screw you to anyone who says rock is dead. It’s also magnificent.

Rating 9/10

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Antiwal, I posted that interview literally a few posts up! :facepalm :lol
[youtube]http://youtu.be/5pV45N9Sg2c[/youtube]

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Described "Tore My Heart Out" as filler.......

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

AB4Lyfe wrote:Described "Tore My Heart Out" as filler.......
I know, right?! The nerve of some people! :eek :lol