Extra Ballads?

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Extra Ballads?

Post by Fish Tacos »

Mark generally writes a bunch of hard rock / metal tracks and does 1/2 ballady type songs per album. I kinda wonder if there are a lot more of these that he doesn't develop/release because he wants to keep that ratio where it is.

I can't say I blame him, I don't really see him putting out a mostly soft album, but I'd love to know if there are more as I consider some of these Mark's best heartfelt work.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: Extra Ballads?

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Fish Tacos wrote:Mark generally writes a bunch of hard rock / metal tracks and does 1/2 ballady type songs per album. I kinda wonder if there are a lot more of these that he doesn't develop/release because he wants to keep that ratio where it is.

I can't say I blame him, I don't really see him putting out a mostly soft album, but I'd love to know if there are more as I consider some of these Mark's best heartfelt work.
I'd love more ballads from Mark. His voice sounds much better tone-wise in ballads and it's a nice difference to his usual guitar style. The Things I've Seen and New Way Out are perfect examples of the ballads he does well, and while Cauterize doesn't really have a definite ballad (save for Sympathy maybe?), I'm really looking forward to Unable To See from Dust. Maybe if they had it at least 7-3 or 6-4 for the ratio of ballads-to-heavy I'd be pleased, but 5/5 seems too much.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I thought Cauterize had some ballads like Sympathy and Fall Again and one of those dark ballads in Dark Trip.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

anguyen92 wrote:I thought Cauterize had some ballads like Sympathy and Fall Again and one of those dark ballads in Dark Trip.
I wasn't going to include those two but I guess in retrospect they are supposed to be more ballads on the album, if not labeled as something else? But with those too the ratio on Cauterize is pretty much 7-3. But I would like to see 6-4 more often in the future.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I think they should focus on writing heavy stuff. That's what they're best at, that's where Mark's voice sounds the best and that's what this band is all about. That's where they have at least a bit of an identity compared to Mark's other bands. One or two ballads are okay, because it changes the pace of the album a bit, but once you start adding more you'll just alienate people who want to listen to what the band is advertising itself to be: a trash, speed, heavy metal band.

He probably has some more laid back material up his sleeve. I think people like these songs so much is because there aren't that many of them. We only get to hear the best of the best.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Timotheus wrote:I think they should focus on writing heavy stuff. That's what they're best at, that's where Mark's voice sounds the best and that's what this band is all about. That's where they have at least a bit of an identity compared to Mark's other bands. One or two ballads are okay, because it changes the pace of the album a bit, but once you start adding more you'll just alienate people who want to listen to what the band is advertising itself to be: a trash, speed, heavy metal band.

He probably has some more laid back material up his sleeve. I think people like these songs so much is because there aren't that many of them. We only get to hear the best of the best.
I hope you meant "thrash," bud.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

AB4Lyfe wrote:
Timotheus wrote:I think they should focus on writing heavy stuff. That's what they're best at, that's where Mark's voice sounds the best and that's what this band is all about. That's where they have at least a bit of an identity compared to Mark's other bands. One or two ballads are okay, because it changes the pace of the album a bit, but once you start adding more you'll just alienate people who want to listen to what the band is advertising itself to be: a trash, speed, heavy metal band.

Nope. Timo thinks Tremonti is trash! :no :(

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Yeah, I don't think Tremonti is necessarily the right vehicle for more, but I don't see him having a 3rd side project :lol then again Tim T said viewing this band as a side project is somewhat of an outdated view.

As Kee Marcello said, Mark is just such a good rhythm guitarist and for most stuff after ODR, it's much harder for me to hear all those nuanced things that Mark does except for on ballads.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

AB4Lyfe wrote:

He probably has some more ylaid back material up his sleeve. I think people like these songs so much is because there aren't that many of them. We only get to hear the best of the best.
Oops :D
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I've heard thrash referred to trash metal before. Not sure if it's just a misspelling or if both are somewhat acceptable.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

\m/Tremonster\m/
White Knuckled

Post by \m/Tremonster\m/ »

Trash Metal defined by the Urban Dictionary

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... rash+metal

:lol

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I take my oops back. I'm foreign, so I can pull it off.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

New Way Out is one of my favorite Tremonti songs. Sucks that he took it out of the set.. and Leave it Alone.. 2 killer songs.

Unable to see must be something special if they are ending the album with it. Their better be some fucking tears!! lol

I'm all in for ballad with Tremonti. I like the laid back voice

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

Softer songs are Tremonti's weakest songs, so please no more than 1 or 2 per album ! Just my opinion. I know a lot of people out here do not agree with that.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

AllC392Was wrote:
Unable to see must be something special if they are ending the album with it. Their better be some fucking tears!! lol
I remember it sounding pretty damn good, my favorite from the second half of tracks. But the line "don't ever feel sorry for me if I'm unable to trust cause I'm unable to see" in zaz's signature falls a bit flat for me after I read it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Fish Tacos wrote:
AllC392Was wrote:
I remember it sounding pretty damn good, my favorite from the second half of tracks. But the line "don't ever feel sorry for me if I'm unable to trust cause I'm unable to see" in zaz's signature falls a bit flat for me after I read it.
Probably because you're reading it on screen with no context of melody or vocals or all that background music you heard in the LP? Or do you have that in your head still?

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Nah I don't remember the tune, I remember it sounds fantastic but that is somewhat removed from the lyrics themselves. I'm hoping zaz just wrote it down wrong like a clumsy oaf :)