The "Cauterize" Listener Review Thread - post yours here!

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: The "Cauterize" Listener Review Thread - post yours here

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

My dad likes Marks voice more than Myles' (aka he prefers Tremonti over AB) and generally if we exercise together we listen to my music. He probably doesn't pay 100% attention to the music and always says it all sounds like the same song; but today I'm going to make him listen to Cauterize and if he says anything negative about it Im just going to give up hope :lol We'll see.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Have only had 2 or 3 listens on Thursday, so I'm gonna refrain from posting an in-depth review until I get a couple more listens when I get my physical copy. For now, I'll just post some hightlights/things that stood out to me during those first few listens:

-RADICAL CHANGE: The chorus is insane. I love the trem dive right before the second chorus, and the clean section after the 2nd chorus reminds me of Show Me a Sign. I love the transition into the final chorus with Garrett's fill, followed by a pause and Mark starting up the chorus, but this time you can REALLY hear the vocal harmony at the beginning. Great final solo that follows the vocal melody beautifully, reminds me of the solo in Cry a River, which is a good thing. Favorite song during my first couple of listens.

-CAUTERIZE: If Radical Change was my #1, this would be 1A. Going into the album, this song was my most-anticipated after hearing the live version, and it certainly didn't disappoint. First I'll say that Elvis' production on this song is phenomenal IMO, the song sounds MASSIVE. The verses and harmonies during them are awesome, and a great sing-along chorus follows. Where this song really shines though is the end of the second chorus. I am in love with the opening bridge riff, and then Mark's vocals in the bridge are phenomenal. Finally, that clean fingerpicked blues outro is sexy. Another great song to start the album.

-DARK TRIP:
I love the opening fingerpicked riff, sounds very different from typical Mark, but for some reason I'm sort of reminded of one of the Full Circle riffs. Mark's vocals during this song are great, and I love the verses. I feel like the chorus could've been a bit better, but it fits well enough with the song. The bridge/solo section is by far the best part of the song. Everyone is firing on all cylinders at this point. Great emotional solo from Mark, probably the best of the album. Really good song, but for me it didn't live up to the hype I've read during my first few listens. Hopefully that changes over time.

-FALL AGAIN:
Very interesting start with that swell effect, I'm indifferent to it though, don't think it's good or bad, just there to be different. This song is one of the highlights for Mark vocally. The acoustic in the background is great. I tried to listen to "Save Me" a couple of times, but I could never get through the first part, so I have no knowledge of the similarities between the riff in that song compared to this. Obviously I enjoy the riff in this song more, as most of you seem to as well. The chorus is great vocally, I just wish it was longer with more lyrics. The two-part second verse makes up for it, and I love the bridge. The "I've lost my way" part reminds me of Shed My Skin. One of the top 2 or 3 songs vocally for Mark, and it could be a dark horse for my favorite of the album.

-SYMPATHY:
This was one of my least-anticipated songs based on the previews, but boy was I wrong. It was the most pleasantly surprising song for me on Cauterize. I immediately heard the riff of "Hide" as soon as the song started. The verses flow well and that chorus is just awesome. My favorite part of the song is the bridge, I think it's absolutely beautiful. The entire second half of the song actually is fantastic. Finally, the solo was great and one of the best from the album. When I read that this song was going to be the second single and had the video shot for it, my heart dropped. But now, I'm all for it. If any song is going to put Tremonti on the map in the U.S. this is it. It was made for rock radio (in a good way), I think it will absolutely kill on the radio. One of my favorites from Cauterize.

-PROVIDENCE:
This song absolutely lived up to the "epic" hype, and there's still so much more I need to digest with more listens. Perfect way to close the album, and I wish Mark would've gone with this for the album title. The acoustic guitar is beautiful in this song and I love the fills that get played over it throughout the song. I do agree though that the verses are a bit rushed, they both easily could have been doubled in length and would have improved the song. The chorus melody is phenomenal, I caught myself humming that more than anything else after the first few listens. When I first heard that inital 15 second preview of the bridge vocals, I kind of wasn't looking forward to this, but it worked well within the song and now I don't mind it that much. I can't remember too much of the solo(s) but they were good from what I remember. The final line "We learn to evolve..." is awesome, a great way to end it. Top-notch song and one of the best of the album.
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Tie The Noose has by far the catchiest chorus on the record. It stays stuck in my head for so long after I'm done listening to the album and the groove makes it easy to remember. Would have been an alright choice for a first single, IMO. What could prevent it from being a single, anyways?

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Maybe the fact that it's easily the worst song on the album :p

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

chtimixeur wrote:Maybe the fact that it's easily the worst song on the album :p
ARE YOU FOR REALS, CHTIMIXEUR? ARE YOU SAYING ANOTHER HEART IS BETTER THAN TIE THE NOOSE?!

DCooper727
TABN.com Citizen

Post by DCooper727 »

Speaking of Another Heart, does anyone else think that compared to the rest of the tracks it just doesn't fit? I can't really explain it too well, but to me the song is just really out of place.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Let's wait a month until we deem a track the "worst on the album." It's been two days, boys.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

DCooper727 wrote:Speaking of Another Heart, does anyone else think that compared to the rest of the tracks it just doesn't fit? I can't really explain it too well, but to me the song is just really out of place.
Nah, cannot agree with this

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

AB4Lyfe wrote:Let's wait a month until we deem a track the "worst on the album." It's been two days, boys.
I can speak for myself when I say without a doubt that Another Heart is the worst. I listened to that song over 150 times before the release of the album so it's had plenty of time to sink in. I stand by my statement when I say it's the worst.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

I actually like Another Heart (that bridge and solo <3), but now I've listened and jammed it so many times that it's hard to give it its place in the context of the album haha!
I like Tie The Noose as well, really catchy chorus and a few nice riffs. Love the bridge part where you think the solo is coming and then it doesn't haha...
But I have a weak spot for songs like this, Arm Yourself is my fav and even gives me goosebumps! That song is so intense!

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
AB4Lyfe wrote:Let's wait a month until we deem a track the "worst on the album." It's been two days, boys.
I can speak for myself when I say without a doubt that Another Heart is the worst. I listened to that song over 150 times before the release of the album so it's had plenty of time to sink in. I stand by my statement when I say it's the worst.
Your opinion will chance once you've listened to the other tracks 150 times.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

austin. wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
Your opinion will chance once you've listened to the other tracks 150 times.
Fine. Only another 120 more times each for the other songs then.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I'd say it's in my bottom 3. There's nothing particularly wrong with it, the rest of the album's just very strong and I've felt since its release that it wasn't exceptional.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Clearly, the only way to decide this is to challenge each other to a duel.

sam1oq
Brand New Start

Post by sam1oq »

And I found myself complaining a while ago for Tremonti having too generic song structures. It's still a bit there, but DAMN. This album exceeded all my expactations. The song writing is top notch, the guitar solos are awesome and the vocals improved. This is FAR better than All I Was.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Tie The Noose is my least favorite song of the album as well. The bridge is cool though..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Think I've decided on my top five

1. Dark Trip - Awesome bridge and my single favourite moment on the album when the solo drops an octave, and the overall creepy menace vibe suits Mark's voice to the tee. This is actually the song I was expecting Waters Rising to be when it was described pre-Fortress, I think the only way it could be improve for me actually is for Myles to have randomly turned up during the bridge.
2. Providence - Love the ostentatiousness, agree with Timo's point though that it at times rushes, could've easily given it a bit more time to breathe with a couple more minutes and been all the better for it.
3. Cauterize - This should really have been the single, it's got the hook and the high energy and some really strong vocals. Have a feeling it wasn't used because of its lack of solo. Showcases the strength of the band all over though, would've grabbed attentions in a way Another Heart really doesn't.
4. Radical Change - Strikes me as a kind of grown up version of Wish You Well in its verses, and the bass line in the pre-chorus is outrageously good. No real weaknesses as a song.
5. Flying Monkeys - Favourite chorus on the album and I still wish it was the title track. Suffers a bit for being straight after the very high energy Radical Change, kind of feel they'd be better off switched over.

Best of the rest: Fall Again

Overall, a very solid 8/10.
Last edited by Ubik on Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For all of the hope that it brings...

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

Don't know who these people are but unanimous praise for Cauterize

http://tlboard.com/topic/21830-tremonti-cauterize/

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Okay so I decided to make an in-depth all-in-one album review so I don't continue to make repeated posts and/or small posts for small things.

TRACKLIST RANKING:
10.Another Heart
9.Flying Monkeys
8.Cauterize
7.Radical Change
6.Arm Yourself
5.Tie The Noose
4.Sympathy
3.Dark Trip
2.Fall Again
1.Providence

SOLO RANKING
11.Arm Yourself (2:29-2:45)
10.Radical Change (2:55-3:15)
9.Providence (1:06-1:23)
8.Radical Change (3:45-4:07)
7.Fall Again (2:22-2:37)
6.Tie The Noose (2:34-2:45)
5.Another Heart (2:43-3:04)
4.Fall Again (3:47-4:14)
3.Sympathy (3:26-3:52)
2.Providence (3:27-4:05)
1.Dark Trip (3:29-4:15)

LYRICS & VOCAL MELODY
Favorite Chorus:
Providence wrote:Tear down the walls we build from the wars we wage
Find what is mine and crawl to the shadows I cage
We plan our escape
We run from the shame again
We learn to evolve
Seek change, change it all
Someway
Favorite Bridge:
Fall Again wrote:And I think I lost my way
You think it's so easy?
You think it's so easy?
Well I think I lost my way
And it was so easy!
And it was so easy!
Favorite Pre-Chorus:
Fall Again wrote:And now that I can see
That nothing is real
I hope we can find them
And teach them to feel
Favorite Verse:
Fall Again wrote:Now that I can see
I'll admit my mistake
We'll show with great honor, how surely we break
We struggle within
Yeah, we fight for the cause
But soon they'll be upon us and soon we'll be lost
Oh no
FAVORITE INSTRUMENTAL SECTIONS PER SONG (SOLOS CAN BE INCLUDED BUT NO VOCALS)
1.Radical Change (2:34-3:15)
2.Flying Monkeys (4:16-4:44)
3.Cauterize (1:58-2:16)
4.Arm Yourself (2:29-2:45)
5.Dark Trip (3:29-4:15)
6.Another Heart (2:11-3:04)
7.Fall Again (0:58-1:09)
8.Tie The Noose (2:20-2:55)
9.Sympathy (3:27-4:19)
10.Providence (2:23-2:53)

LEAST FAVE - FAVE VOCAL PERFORMANCES (MELODIES COUNT IN MY RANKING)
10.Cauterize
9.Another Heart
8.Arm Yourself
7.Tie The Noose
6.Radical Change
5.Flying Monkeys
4.Fall Again
3.Dark Trip
2.Sympathy
1.Providence

TRACK-BY-TRACK BREAKDOWN
1.RADICAL CHANGE: I don't think they could have chosen a better opener for this album. The intro riff starts and kicks you right in the teeth! As per usual with Mark the vocal melodies are very memorable and easy to sing a long to. The bridge section was nice departure from the rest of the song and Marks vocals were above par throughout the song. the post-bridge solo sounded kinda funky but cool at the same time. (does Erock do that one?)
Pros: Very strong vocally and instrumentally for an album opener. Gives the listener a good impression of what's to come.
Cons: I think the outro solo was a bit rushed.

2.FLYING MONKEYS: As per usual from being the second single; After hearing it a number of times I've sort of grown tired of it. But to not take away from the song; I still think it has a very groovy riff and the bridge was awesome. The chorus melody is also very memorable and the upper register backing harmonies really help increase the song's potential. The upbeat outro is probably the highlight of the song for me.
Pros: The doomy pace and vibe throughout the song. Especially the bridge.
Cons: It's missing a solo.

3.CAUTERIZE: Classic Tremonti with a face-melting, head-banging riff right off the bat. The verses are some of the strongest ones both lyrically and melodically on the record. The chorus also has nice melody to it. The bridge is probably my favorite part of the song. Loved the backing vocals from Erock on "Erased". The abrupt switch to the bluesy outro that some people claim to be out of place in the song, I personally think fits rather nicely and it helps ease you into the next track.
Pros: The bluesy outro sort of makes up for the lack of a solo.
Cons: It's missing a solo.

4.ARM YOURSELF: The intro riff and pre-chorus are serious headbangers. Yet again another catchy chorus (there seems to be a lot of those) The melodies throughout the song are all very catchy and makes it a very easy song to sing along to. The vibey bridge is a nice break from all the headbanging, and Marks vocals sound particularly tamed during that part. But the solo is easily overlooked. I think they could have made it higher in the mix or made it more traditional to help strengthen it's presence. The last vocal line from Mark ending off on the high note that fades out was a great way to end the track.
Pros: The chorus melody is very infectious.
Cons: It's too short; Solo could have been better.

5.DARK TRIP: The Intro is different from what I'd expect for Tremonti for some reason. Can't quite figure out why. The emotion in the lyrics and vocals on this song are great. Mark did an excellent job of coming across as heartfelt in this song. love the guitar bluesy fills throughout the song. Nice bass playing and backing vocals by Wolfie in the bridge.
Pros: It has Marks best solo on the album
Cons: I think the outro could have used another chorus.

6.ANOTHER HEART: So I've been saying this whole time that it is the weakest song on the album for me; and I still stand true to it. It's just so forgetful on a lyrical standpoint to me, and the instrumental aspect of it is not as strong as the rest of the album, IMO. But the bridge section is breakneck worthy.
Pros: The bridge and solo had a nice groove to them.
Cons: Weakest song on the album, IMO.

7.FALL AGAIN: These are the types of songs that make me realize just how far Mark has come as a vocalist since the days of Creed. The dynamics in the vocals from the chorus' and verses is nice and the melodies in this song are amazing. Especially in the pre-chorus and bridge. Although I feel like the two solos in the song fit perfectly well within the structure of the song. Can't tell who plays which one, though. The baking vocal harmonies are good as well.
Pros: One of Marks best vocal performances.
Cons: I thought the volume knob sections were extended too long.

8.TIE THE NOOSE: I love the sound effect at the beginning that prepares you for the kick in the teeth from the intro riff. The riffs throughout the song have a very catchy groove to them under the vocal melody and the bass line in this sounded cool. Marks vocal inflections and upper register in this song has got to be the highlight for me. Bridge is a serious headbanger. It also has the most memorable chorus on the record, IMO.
Pros: The chorus melody is very infectious.
Cons: The song and solo was too short.

9.SYMPATHY: After headbanging for so long throughout the album; it's nice to get a ballad like Sympathy. I think it's one of the strongest songs on the record from a lyrical standpoint; and the solo was :cloud9 A very melodic and fast-paced solo with lots of emotion that was great way to end the song. I loved the emotion in the vocals right before the solo, as well.
Pros: Another top 10 vocal performance from Mark.
Cons: I think the bridge could have been better.

10.PROVIDENCE: As you guys probably know by now this is my favorite song that The Tremonti Project has done to date. There has been a lot of talk about the verses feeling rushed; But I personally don't hear it. Out of the rest of the songs on this album; I think it has Marks best vocal performance. The main attraction to me for this song is the vocal melody in the chorus. I couldn't imagine any other song closing Cauterize after hearing this and I think it leaves my listening experience satisfied but there's still a sense of me wanting more out of the song and the album as a whole.
Pros: It's basically Water's Rising on steroids, which I love. (same length and Marks leads, doomy vibe to the instrumental)
Cons: It could have been longer.

MISC. COMMENTS
-At times I feel they could have made the pronunciation of some words better/more audible (Cauterize and Fall Again come to mind)
-Even with how far Mark has come as a vocalist; I still think there's a tad bit too many vocal effects. A certain amount is fine as it adds diversity to the vocals in some occasion, but sometimes it can be too much and it's better to go raw (i.e - at the end of "Arm Yourself" with the FX over the last line.)
-The rhythm section is super tight

Lyrics: 9/10
Instrumentals: 9/10
Vocals: 10/10
Length: 8/10
Overall I give Cauterize a grade A as an album.
Last edited by SHEAKENBAKEN on Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

Damn Shea thats one hell of a review lol