The "Cauterize" Listener Review Thread - post yours here!

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Re: The "Cauterize" Listener Review Thread - post yours here

Post by AllC392Was »

okay you fuckers.. I can't find this damn album. Where the fucks is this all going on

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

I like how the beginning of Cauterize sounds like its breaking through a wall.
Thanks Timo!

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

austinjhnsn wrote:I like how the beginning of Cauterize sounds like its breaking through a wall.
I hate you

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

The links are easy to find but don't work for me

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

wuuuuuutttt??

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

My thoughts while listening. Sorry for typos and rambling moments:

Radical Change: Great start to the album. Not bullshit, just straight into the riff and we're off. Love the chorus, especially the drums. The tempo changes in the verses are pretty effective. Love the tempo change in the bridge. Love the vibe in the bridge and during the solo. Great solo. Love the outro solo. Most consistent Tremonti song I've heard so far (besides maybe The Thing's I've Seen) and we're only one song in.

Flying Monkeys: Sounds great after Radical Change. Still a bit uncertain about the bridge, but overall I think it's a very unique sounding song.

Cauterize: I can't say enough how much I love those verses. Love Wolfie's bass during the verses. There are a few moments where he really stands out. Love the second part in the last part of the bridge. I knew that outro was going to sound amazing on the record. Big shout-out to Wolfie again in the outro.

Arm Yourself: Love the chorus. The choruses on this record are pretty amazing so far, which is not something you can say about All I Was. The first part of the song is pretty straight up. Love the moody bridge. The chorus reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on it.

Dark Trip: The verses sound great. Love the harmonies the second guitar plays. I think the clean guitars sound pretty unique. Very grungy pre-chorus. Okay chorus. Amazing bass in the bridge. Great vocal hamonies by Wolfie (I think). I looove the solo, especially the way it kicked in. Some interesting stuff in there. Love the feedback playing in the background of the last chorus, I think there was some in the second verse as well, but I'll have to listen to that again to be sure. Cool song.

Another Heart: Still think they shouldn't have picked this as the first single. Definitely not a bad song though.

Fall Again: Interesting intro. Sounds great. The verses are incredibly catchy. I only heard the preview once and it's been in my head for days. I agree with the person who said the Save Me riff sounds better here than in the original song. Love the 2nd pre-chorus. The first pre-chorus didn't really stand out to me (was there one or was it only instrumental?) Nice solo. Love the outro solo as well. Woo, the fade-ins are back.

Tie The Noose: The vocals in the verses sound incredibly familiar. Sounds great though. I think it musically kinda sounds like Arm Yourself, but the vocals make a big difference. Not a bad chorus, but nothing special in my opinion. Some cool stuff in the bridge. Probably my least favourite song together with Another Heart so far, but definitely not a bad song.

Sympathy: I thought the intro could've used a bit more uniqueness. It sounds really good once the rest of the instruments kick in though. Love the poppiness of the verses and the sing-along chorus. FFS, Mark Tremonti ripped off one of my songs in the second part of the bridge :lol wish the first part of the bridge was better though, I don't think it's as good as the rest of the song. Really good song though. I'm sure the bridge will grow on me.

Providence: The beginning kinda reminds me of the intro of Waters Rising. It only sounds better. Wish the first verse was a bit longer. It sounds a bit rushed. I think they could've easily doubled it in length. The pre-chorus is awesome. The chorus is incredible as well. No pre-chorus the second time around :( Love the drums in the bridge. Nice groove. Great vocal harmonies. Pretty unique sounding solo, it kinda reminds me of the solo in Ghost Of Days Gone By, only a lot darker. Perfect length of the solo as well. Sounds really good. Cool dark sounding vocals afterwards.

Thoughts afterwards: I think they did an good job. It's a more diverse sounding record than All I Was and I think the production and songwriting is a lot better. His voice has grown a lot, which helps making the entire thing a bit more diverse. There are still a few moments where it bugs me though. The length of the album is great, it leaves you wanting more without feeling unsatisfied. We'll see how the entire album stands the test of time. I remember being impressed by All I Was at first, but I grew tired of it really fast.

Oh, and Wolfie's addition to this band is the best thing that could've happened to Mark.

Standout songs: Cauterize, Providence, Radical Change, Sympathy, Dark Trip
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Dear Lord, Mark is a muthafucking master of writing melodies. I've played the album once and since then, me and my dad have been walking around humming Providence.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

cesargil
Brand New Start

Post by cesargil »

OMG! What a fantastic album!

Mark is awesome! I loved this album! The only song I didn't like so much was Arm Yourself, the rest is amazing!

My favorites: Radical Change, Cauterize, Sympathy and Providence.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

The bass in the bridge of Dark Trip is so ridiculously awesome. That bridge and the solo afterwards is some incredible songwriting.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

Okay... Holy balls man. I'm only to Arm Yourself but geez...

BMus1
Brand New Start

Post by BMus1 »

Timotheus wrote:Tie The Noose: The vocals in the verses sound incredibly familiar. Sounds great though. I think it musically kinda sounds like Arm Yourself, but the vocals make a big difference. Not a bad chorus, but nothing special in my opinion. Some cool stuff in the bridge. Probably my least favourite song together with Another Heart so far, but definitely not a bad song.
I think you're thinking of the verses in Doesn't Matter. That's what I heard on my first listen.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Radical Change 5/5: Great choice for the opener of the record. Loved the up-tempo intro that starts the song off and the Chorus is probably one of the catchiest and best on the record.
- Favorite part: Marks Vocals/Bridge
Flying Monkeys 5/5: The chorus is super catchy and the intro riff is a serious headbanger. I think it was a good idea for a second pre-album release.
Cauterize 5/5: Two Words. Catchy chorus. The main riff is a serious headbanger and the bluesy outro is so tasty.
- Favorite part: Marks vocals/Bridge
Arm Yourself 5/5: The chorus is yet again super catchy and Marks vocals in the bridge give the song some nice depth to it.
- Favorite part: Marks vocals/Main riff
Dark Trip 5/5: It has a nice soothing groove to it throughout and Mark's vocals are exceptionally tender in some sections. The Solo wasn't what I expected it to be but It was still easily the best on the record.
- Favorite part: Marks Vocals/Solo
Another Heart 4/5: I can see why they chose this song as the first single; that being said I think it's the weakest song on the album by far. There's plenty of more catchier chorus' on this album but it works well with what the song has to offer.
- Favorite part: Marks Vocals/Bridge + Solo
Fall Again 5/5: Marks vocals on this song are yet again Top 10 Vocals material. I could go on about how much Marks vocals have improved on this record.
Tie The Noose 5/5: The groove of the main riff is infectious and the chorus is crazy catchy. Solo is classic Tremonti. Loved the outro riff parts.
- Favorite part: Marks Vocals/Outro Riffs.
Sympathy 5/5: Marks vocals on this one are spectacular. definitely top 10 vocal performance.
- Favorite part: Marks Vocals/Outro Chorus + Solo
Providence 5/5: I can completely agree with this song being the Blackbird of Tremonti. It's a massive song and Mark's vocals and melodies on this one are killer.
- Favorite part: Marks Vocals/The Bridge.

Basically it's the best album of the year and maybe even the best album since Fortress. (sorry WoF) I gave it 49/50.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I'm not saying the album isn't that good (I haven't heard it). But I kinda feel like you listened to the album to find reasons to give it that score, not the other way around. :lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Bob_BleedItDry
Neon Impossible

Post by Bob_BleedItDry »

managed to find. dark trip. fall again and sympathy. fall again dident do much for me at all. pointless solos and boring vocally. dark trip is cool as hell. sympathy is insanly catchy

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

Somebody make a stream or private YouTube link and send it to me please. This is getting ridiculous. I can't find anything that will work as a download. I need a video player of the songs. Something.

malec
Brand New Start

Post by malec »

Underwhelmed by the solos. Its not the Mark i know, they are very chaotic, random. The best song for me is the providence. Hope Dust will be much better.

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

Does no one hear the "On My Way Now" similarity in Fall Again? Where he says "And I think I've lost my way".
Just the way he sings the lyrics, I guess.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

I was gonna say, that song seems like ODR b side central. Save Me AND OMWN similarities? But it all works pretty well in the song!
Thanks Timo!

Vlad
Brand New Start

Post by Vlad »

I'm in love with Sympathy

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Sympathy, Cauterize, Arm Yourself, Providence and Dark Trip are by FAR my favorites.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23