Mark Plays Wikipedia: Fact or Fiction

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
austin.
On The Rail

Re: Mark Plays Wikipedia: Fact or Fiction

Post by austin. »

Jhenrid wrote:
austin. wrote:
Full Circle, would've been, yet another Number 1 debut had Michael Jackson not died and released an album the same week.

Also, it really feels like a money thing for Tremonti & Co.

Full Circle was sub-par, at best. I don't feel like 110% was put into that album. The money came from touring. There were two opportunities to do another album, and everyone but Stapp chose not to do it. Why? Because they had made the money the needed to make to fund their "smaller" projects. Mark didn't want Creed to get big again, because he prefers his "smaller" projects.

I understand it. I can't say I blame the guys. But, as someone longing for more Creed, it does suck.
I get what you're saying but I think that you're forgetting a couple of things, first the AB guys planned everything at least a year in advance. Everyone following them knew, us the fans knew that, interviewers that asked knew, everyone that paid attention knew that it was a rotation system. Secondly Stapp was having vocal problems, no one from the band acknowledged it but it they were there. I know he started to get better but that may not have been at a time where they would've be able to record. Then there is also the fact that we don't know for sure when things started to get iffy with Stapp. When you see things going a certain way you're not going to commit yourself to situation that can go bad.
Both points I had, indeed, forgotten. And, you didn't have to be an asshole to get what you were saying across. Thanks :)

Stapps voice did indeed suck, I wouldn't have wanted them vocals on my record. I don't know if Full Circle was extremely doctored up or what, but that was about the limit of crap vocals that I think could've been done and published.

And, Alter Bridge clearly does have an every other year thing. That's a big piece to the puzzle that I wasn't thinking about. It'd have been breaking the norm for them to not do an Alter Bridge album. Creed kinda came back out of nowhere and really anything that we got was "better than nothing" so to speak.

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

Sorry if I came off as an asshole that is not how I meant it. I literally wanted just point out that there were a lot of different things going on that probably contributed to why the guys made the decisions the way they did. It's funny now because if you could look back to when Creed reunited they basically had to tell people every week that AB wasn't over.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

Jhenrid wrote:Sorry if I came off as an asshole that is not how I meant it. I literally wanted just point out that there were a lot of different things going on that probably contributed to why the guys made the decisions the way they did. It's funny now because if you could look back to when Creed reunited they basically had to tell people every week that AB wasn't over.

No no. You didn't. That's not what I meant. Just generally, for whatever reason, my opinions aren't usually taken well and people like to be mean to me in the past. You're good.

I think the public was excited for Creed. A lot of people hated Stapp, sure. But man, seeing Creed play in front of 17,000 people, 7, 8 years after breaking up, getting to witness that was surreal.

I don't think it'll ever happen again. But, never say never.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

If Mark & the guys wanted to stop Creed they would have ended it after Full Circle. There's no way Mark could control Creed's success.. plus they went on to do several tours after the fact & were planning a new album. So the whole 'Mark just did it for money & ran' is bs. Sure it helped fund other projects but like it's already been mentioned.. they plan out their schedules in advance & Alter Bridge has always been a main priority (of course Stapp thought otherwise). The fighting over a producer, band loyalty, signs of Stapp using, the book, etc. etc. ended Creed (for the time being that is). I'll never say never again that's for sure. lol

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

My guess is that the 2009 tour was supposed to be a one-off thing.
Remember his quote from Myles in april 2009 ?
Many of you are wondering how this Creed reunion tour will affect the future of Alter Bridge. No worries, it won’t. I can assure you that as soon as they finish in October we will move forward.
Contrary to false statements that might lead you to believe otherwise, Alter Bridge continues to be paramount to the four of us.
The guys have my full support. It’s a very complex situation to say the least. It had to be done.
I appreciate the fact that so many of you are concerned about our future. With that said, everything is going to be all right. Alter Bridge’s third record is well on it’s way. The guys will embark on their reunion tour, I will make my record :humina :lol , and then we will carry on.
"Don’t forget we’re here to stay"
They needed the money to fund Alter Bridge, and that's why they did it.
But they probably had a lot of fun in 2009, and decided to keep on touring as long as everything was smooth and drama-free. As soon as Stapp showed signs of his former self in early 2012, Mark pulled the plug.
That's how I see it.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

That seems reasonable. Blackbird sold poorly and Stapp happened to need money so the decision was fast, which is not very nice of Mark who claimed that Creed won't reunite in 100 years. But yeah, without money there is no music on this level.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

They didn't need the money because Blackbird sold poorly. They needed it because they bought themselves out of their record contract with Wind-Up...which they're still paying off today.
Photobucket cash grab.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Didn't they also buy their Universal contract back, or were they just dropped in late 2008 ?

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Yes, they bought out of their Universal contract as well, but I don't think that was nearly as financially debilitating.

I'm sure there are a myriad of reasons that the guys kept touring with Creed after the first reunion tour. In no particular order:
  • It was financially lucrative
  • They enjoyed playing the old songs again
  • The fans wanted it
  • Myles was busy with Slash anyway

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Ryan wrote:They didn't need the money because Blackbird sold poorly. They needed it because they bought themselves out of their record contract with Wind-Up...which they're still paying off today.
I wouldn't mind it if Fortress sold the amount that Blackbird did, back then, now.
abw1987 wrote:Yes, they bought out of their Universal contract as well, but I don't think that was nearly as financially debilitating.

I'm sure there are a myriad of reasons that the guys kept touring with Creed after the first reunion tour. In no particular order:
  • It was financially lucrative
  • They enjoyed playing the old songs again
  • The fans wanted it
  • Myles was busy with Slash anyway
No, he wasn't. The 1st part in 2009, he was working his solo album and doing benefit gigs (Bofest and one for PRS). I know he wouldn't admit it, but man, he kinda got left high and dry there since AB was, to him imo atm, the biggest high-profile band he took part in and he, pretty much, had no guarantee of working with a guy like Slash.

Though there were those speculations of him working with the guys from Zeppelin (which fell through for some reason) and Velvet Revolver (I guess that part meant nothing now since he sang with those guys and is working with Slash on a regular basis).
Last edited by anguyen92 on Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I think he means AFTER the first reunion, so 2010 and 2012. Then Myles was writing and touring with Slash.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Indeed.