All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Re: DUST - The Second Part

Post by Mr. Slash »

PRS10Top wrote:
Dolo wrote:[youtube]http://youtu.be/WahVroS7wqk[/youtube]

Catching Fire, anyone?
songs like this make me appreciate Mark's and Myles's voices and vocal clarity...
Corey is amazing, bruh.
Furthermore I don't see many similarities between these two songs.

Apple Music recommended Dust on Twitter. Dunno if this is a big thing or not, but promo is promo I guess.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Mr. Slash wrote:I don't see many similarities between these two songs.
:yeahthat

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

Mr. Slash wrote: Apple Music recommended Dust on Twitter. Dunno if this is a big thing or not, but promo is promo I guess.
I did find it extremely strange that Apple Music would promote an album that's not available on their service. I wonder if it had high sales numbers on the iTunes side of things so they're pushing it?

phatnonphatness
Loyal Follower

Post by phatnonphatness »

pokefan_4 wrote: Full Circle, instrumentally, blows any early Creed album out of the water. Those were just power chords and a few base lines here and there. FC actually has solos...
I don't wanna be a stickler but I completely disagree with you.

Don't mistake speed and technicality for better music. A lot of the riffs were lazy writing. And none of the solos were really memorable. Or at least I don't remember any.

The music on the earlier albums is so much more creative and inspired.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

I think all this Creedtalk belongs in other threads. Not in a thread about far better music, like Dust or any other post-Creed album coming from MT.

RuRo
Loyal Follower

Post by RuRo »

Some random thoughts from further listenings:

- My Last Mistake is an awesome opener - I think it represents the peak (so far) of the sort of straight ahead thrash metal style Tremonti songs, and Mark's vocals are a big reason for that, there is a real consistent edge to them in this song.

- The first half of this album is a great run of songs. The Cage, Once Dead and Betray Me are all fantastic heavy songs, and Dust is one of the most evocative and emotional sounding Tremonti songs (only Dark Trip and The Things I've Seen come close to it in that respect imo). I know some people still criticise this album for songwriting that feels too much like different "parts" that they don't think fit well together. That never bothered me much (even on All I Was which I think felt like the most "mix and match" of heavy riffs and more melodic verses or choruses), but I can understand where that criticism comes from. Dust (the song) is the opposite of that though; no real flashy parts, just a song crafted to work together perfectly as a whole.

- I don't get the love for Tore My Heart Out :shrug I don't dislike it, but it feels like one of the most uninteresting and basically dull Tremonti songs along the lines of Doesn't Matter. Both have parts that are good (the post-solo riff of Tore My Heart Out is great) but the overall impression is "meh" and sometimes when listening to them the skip button sometimes beckons (especially as both are followed by much stronger songs).

- Catching Fire I might be tempted to call the heaviest Tremonti song. There are a lot of very heavy moments throughout these albums, and the verse and bridge of this song are up there among them, but it's the overall heaviness throughout that might put it over the edge. It feels quite different to what we've heard before too. The highlight of the weak second half of the album.

- Probably my biggest criticism of the album right now; the second half is overall quite a bit weaker than the first half, and honestly by the time I'm listening to the last three songs I'm thinking more about the next time I can listen to the earlier songs than I am excited to hear the rest of the album. Unable To See is a solid enough ballad but with songs like those I feel like they eitherr really click and are among the best songs (such as The Things I've Seen), or they don't, in which case they don't really stand up to repeated listenings. Maybe things will change but Unable To See isn't reaching that status of a great one for me, which makes it a bit of a weak finish to the album. Rising Storm I appreciate more now after many listens but it's definitely one of the weakest on the album, and Never Wrong is quite cool as something a bit different but still among the weaker songs. Due to this I think that in the future I will definitely make some Dust-Cauterize playlist for listening with the tracks ordered a bit differently.

Rankings just now:
1. Dust
2. My Last Mistake
3. The Cage
4. Catching Fire
5. Once Dead
6. Betray Me

7. Unable To See
8. Never Wrong
9. Rising Storm
10. Tore My Heart Out

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Andy92 wrote:
pokefan_4 wrote:
Violent Corpse wrote:Full Circle is the weakest Creed album in every way: vocally and instrumentally. Mark's written far more musical riffs for Creed before.
Full Circle, instrumentally, blows any early Creed album out of the water. Those were just power chords and a few base lines here and there. FC actually has solos...
I'm sorry, but to base the instrumental quality of a song based solely upon its technical difficultly is pretty ridiculous. There is a reason Nirvana filled stadiums while it's easy to get bored listening to Malmsteen. Whoever said Full Circle sounds like a mashup of the leftover materials not used on Blackbird and AB III nailed it in my opinion. Think of a song like Home on AB III. It's an okay track, but it was too bland to put on the main album. That's pretty much the entirety of Full Circle outside of a couple standout tracks (A Thousand Faces and Time are my favorites).

You can be a creative musician while still using simplistic pieces of music. And that's what early Creed was instrumentally. I think Mark has always been an excellent songwriter, he just showcases it in a different way now. But of all the albums he's been involved in, Full Circle is the one that sounds thrown together.
Stated perfectly sir!

PRS10Top
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PRS10Top »

RuRo wrote:Some random thoughts from further listenings:

- My Last Mistake is an awesome opener - I think it represents the peak (so far) of the sort of straight ahead thrash metal style Tremonti songs, and Mark's vocals are a big reason for that, there is a real consistent edge to them in this song.

- The first half of this album is a great run of songs. The Cage, Once Dead and Betray Me are all fantastic heavy songs, and Dust is one of the most evocative and emotional sounding Tremonti songs (only Dark Trip and The Things I've Seen come close to it in that respect imo). I know some people still criticise this album for songwriting that feels too much like different "parts" that they don't think fit well together. That never bothered me much (even on All I Was which I think felt like the most "mix and match" of heavy riffs and more melodic verses or choruses), but I can understand where that criticism comes from. Dust (the song) is the opposite of that though; no real flashy parts, just a song crafted to work together perfectly as a whole.

- I don't get the love for Tore My Heart Out :shrug I don't dislike it, but it feels like one of the most uninteresting and basically dull Tremonti songs along the lines of Doesn't Matter. Both have parts that are good (the post-solo riff of Tore My Heart Out is great) but the overall impression is "meh" and sometimes when listening to them the skip button sometimes beckons (especially as both are followed by much stronger songs).

- Catching Fire I might be tempted to call the heaviest Tremonti song. There are a lot of very heavy moments throughout these albums, and the verse and bridge of this song are up there among them, but it's the overall heaviness throughout that might put it over the edge. It feels quite different to what we've heard before too. The highlight of the weak second half of the album.

- Probably my biggest criticism of the album right now; the second half is overall quite a bit weaker than the first half, and honestly by the time I'm listening to the last three songs I'm thinking more about the next time I can listen to the earlier songs than I am excited to hear the rest of the album. Unable To See is a solid enough ballad but with songs like those I feel like they eitherr really click and are among the best songs (such as The Things I've Seen), or they don't, in which case they don't really stand up to repeated listenings. Maybe things will change but Unable To See isn't reaching that status of a great one for me, which makes it a bit of a weak finish to the album. Rising Storm I appreciate more now after many listens but it's definitely one of the weakest on the album, and Never Wrong is quite cool as something a bit different but still among the weaker songs. Due to this I think that in the future I will definitely make some Dust-Cauterize playlist for listening with the tracks ordered a bit differently.

Rankings just now:
1. Dust
2. My Last Mistake
3. The Cage
4. Catching Fire
5. Once Dead
6. Betray Me

7. Unable To See
8. Never Wrong
9. Rising Storm
10. Tore My Heart Out
Great and well stated review. I disagree with the second half. I enjoy the Tore My Heart Out/Never Wrong/Rising Storm section more than MLM/Cage/Once Dead. To each his own? :shrug :rockon

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

Never Wrong is really starting to grow on me as of late. The bridge is crazy underrated. He hits some notes that makes me think how far his vocals have come in the last 4 years since All I Was..

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Back from holiday for a few days now, so got to listen to this amazing album alot of times now... :)
I do skip the song Dust. That song, for me, is just too 'simple' and I don't like it when songs have the same guitar and vocal melody (that was also the case with the songs Cauterize and Providence, Catching Fire is the only exception). Like the 'vibe' of Dust (song) and does have a nice melody, but it gets me bored more quickly than the rest.
I do like the chorus of Never Wrong, the rest is ok. Can't really connect with Unable To See, the lyrics sounds a bit cheesy for me.
It's pretty obvious I'm more of a metal guy I suppose haha!

But my top 5 list is probably:
1) Catching Fire, can't wait to learn this one on guitar
2) My Last Mistake (on of my fav. solo's)
3) Once Dead
4) The Cage (dat solo!)
5) Betray Me/Tore My Heart Out (can't choose yet)

Honourable mention: The post-solo riff on Tore My Heart Out just gives me an eargasm...

What I like to note is that I like that the heavier songs (Rising Storm being the exception) kinda stay heavy in the bridges. On Cauterize you had Radical Change and Arm Yourself which kinda slowed down, which I also liked. But I'm glad that these new songs keep the energy level up! :)

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

riemslag1 wrote:I think all this Creedtalk belongs in other threads. Not in a thread about far better music, like Dust or any other post-Creed album coming from MT.
I think Creed talk belongs in another thread, but more so because it's simply a different band. The "better music" part is totally subjective and your opinion. I love all of Tremonti's solo work, but Creed is miles ahead of it in my opinion. Technicality doesn't equal brilliance.

luke62
White Knuckled

Post by luke62 »

After the bundles arrived and new frames, this is what I've got so far. Had a signed Dust album cover but messed it up when I trimmed it to fit in the slot. Oh well.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Wow, nice collection!

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

I just wish dust was signed by all of them :( sort of kills the trio for me personally.
Photobucket cash grab.

\m/Tremonster\m/
White Knuckled

Post by \m/Tremonster\m/ »

Jaded Rescue wrote:
riemslag1 wrote:I think all this Creedtalk belongs in other threads. Not in a thread about far better music, like Dust or any other post-Creed album coming from MT.
I think Creed talk belongs in another thread, but more so because it's simply a different band. The "better music" part is totally subjective and your opinion. I love all of Tremonti's solo work, but Creed is miles ahead of it in my opinion. Technicality doesn't equal brilliance.
I waaaaayyy prefer Tremonti over Creed, but again, they're all subjective and our own opinions.

For me it's Alter Bridge > Tremonti > Creed.

julio
Isolated

Post by julio »

According to Hits Daily Double, the first week album sales was 9,849 in the US.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Ouch.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

julio wrote:According to Hits Daily Double, the first week album sales was 9,849 in the US.
Compared to 13,075 from Cauterize that's pretty harsh.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Kinda sucks when your third album sells less than your first. It's a real shame, Dust probably has the most songs cumulatively that I like from a Tremonti album.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

I hope the sales in Europe are better...