DUST - The Second Part

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: DUST - The Second Part

Post by fix »

Think people think it's overused... Not sure what song it was, but I think I heard it on ABIII first (-- edit-- show me a sign it is). Which I kinda agree on, but I still kinda like it as well. :)

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

poshisjarker wrote:I'll always enjoy Full Circle...just some plain fun jams on that album. I don't even care that Stapp sounded like a dying cow in 08/09...a lot of the musical parts on that album are pretty dang cool. 1) the riffs in Fear 2) the groove throughout Full Circle 3) the bridge of Thousand Faces 4) the arpeggiated/fingerpicked chords in Time and Song You Sing
Those are a few examples of stuff I really enjoy on that album. Yes some of it could've easily touched AB camp at some point, but I think overall it ended up sounding totally different. Didn't sound like AB or even Creed (lol) to me...a strange album all around but one that i think still holds a lot of charm for me. Also part of it is my mind associates some great memories with it
Yeah, i totally agree on this. It's kinda awkward that Mark outplays Stapp on vocals even though he only 2 (?) songs where he steps more in the foreground. Still the album is a nice Tremonti 101 for song- and riffwriting with many nice tunes. Therefore I enjoy listening to Full Circle even though songs like "Rain" and "On My Sleeve" are pretty cheesy.
---
Now to the stuff why I actually entered this thread: Am I the only one who thinks that the first solo in "Once Dead" really sucks? I guess it's Friedman's solo, since the second solo sounds much more like Tremonti. Friedman is such an amazing guitarist and the only thing he could imagine to do on that song is to bend around aimless until his part is over? That's really weak.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Catching Fire is so damn fun to play on guitar, I'm having a blast learning it
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Jim wrote:
Andy92 wrote:I can't really understand how some people rank Full Circle higher than other Creed albums. Stapp's vocals are hit and miss, and the music sounds like a bunch of Alter Bridge b-sides outside a couple standout tracks.
It's not all about Stapp..
I know, I mentioned the instrumental part of the album as well. I feel like Full Circle was just scrapped together fairly quickly for money whereas the early Creed albums had more thought in the writing process. I loved Mark's songwriting back then as well as now even if he didn't use all of the flashy, technical guitar parts. It was simple but effective.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

Mr. Slash wrote:
poshisjarker wrote:I'll always enjoy Full Circle...just some plain fun jams on that album. I don't even care that Stapp sounded like a dying cow in 08/09...a lot of the musical parts on that album are pretty dang cool. 1) the riffs in Fear 2) the groove throughout Full Circle 3) the bridge of Thousand Faces 4) the arpeggiated/fingerpicked chords in Time and Song You Sing
Those are a few examples of stuff I really enjoy on that album. Yes some of it could've easily touched AB camp at some point, but I think overall it ended up sounding totally different. Didn't sound like AB or even Creed (lol) to me...a strange album all around but one that i think still holds a lot of charm for me. Also part of it is my mind associates some great memories with it
Yeah, i totally agree on this. It's kinda awkward that Mark outplays Stapp on vocals even though he only 2 (?) songs where he steps more in the foreground. Still the album is a nice Tremonti 101 for song- and riffwriting with many nice tunes. Therefore I enjoy listening to Full Circle even though songs like "Rain" and "On My Sleeve" are pretty cheesy.
---
Now to the stuff why I actually entered this thread: Am I the only one who thinks that the first solo in "Once Dead" really sucks? I guess it's Friedman's solo, since the second solo sounds much more like Tremonti. Friedman is such an amazing guitarist and the only thing he could imagine to do on that song is to bend around aimless until his part is over? That's really weak.
was thinking that some thing this AM on my way to work when listening to Once Dead. That first solo just sounds so... meh.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I think it works. The rhythm guitar behind is pretty awesome as well.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

You can also hear the bell at 1:56 and 2:04.

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

Full Circle is the weakest Creed album in every way: vocally and instrumentally. Mark's written far more musical riffs for Creed before.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I think that guitar parts on FC sound very AB-like, which makes me think that Mark threw in there everything that hadn't been used on Blackbird and ABIII.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

Violent Corpse wrote:Full Circle is the weakest Creed album in every way: vocally and instrumentally. Mark's written far more musical riffs for Creed before.
Full Circle, instrumentally, blows any early Creed album out of the water. Those were just power chords and a few base lines here and there. FC actually has solos...

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Everybody who's played guitar for 2 years and has focused on playing leads can play guitar solos.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Listen to Faceless Man. That's not just power chords. beautiful song. Creed was really great instrumentally.
Thanks Timo!

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

The lack of soloing on previous Creed albums doesn't make them be 'blown out of the water' by FC. In regard to this, I think Mark was much more creative in those days with riffs, melodies and overall songwriting. Now, he tends to get too much involved with his repetative legato shredding.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

pokefan_4 wrote:
Violent Corpse wrote:Full Circle is the weakest Creed album in every way: vocally and instrumentally. Mark's written far more musical riffs for Creed before.
Full Circle, instrumentally, blows any early Creed album out of the water. Those were just power chords and a few base lines here and there. FC actually has solos...
:yeahthat

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

I don't understand how people think the FB instrumentals are boring. A Thousand Faces, Away In Silence, Time; all beautiful. It's not my favorite song on the album at all, but Fight the Good Fight is one of the best solos that Mark has ever done. Doesn't get enough credit.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/WahVroS7wqk[/youtube]

Catching Fire, anyone?

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

If a song needs a power chord, a power chord it is. The chorus of Blackbird also is "only" power chords. No Full Circle song comes close to the effectiveness of songs like Torn or Never Die. It's also a huge overexaggeration to say those songs were "only power chords and a few base lines here and there".
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

PRS10Top
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PRS10Top »

Dolo wrote:[youtube]http://youtu.be/WahVroS7wqk[/youtube]

Catching Fire, anyone?
songs like this make me appreciate Mark's and Myles's voices and vocal clarity...

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

pokefan_4 wrote:
I'm sorry, but to base the instrumental quality of a song based solely upon its technical difficultly is pretty ridiculous. There is a reason Nirvana filled stadiums while it's easy to get bored listening to Malmsteen. Whoever said Full Circle sounds like a mashup of the leftover materials not used on Blackbird and AB III nailed it in my opinion. Think of a song like Home on AB III. It's an okay track, but it was too bland to put on the main album. That's pretty much the entirety of Full Circle outside of a couple standout tracks (A Thousand Faces and Time are my favorites).

You can be a creative musician while still using simplistic pieces of music. And that's what early Creed was instrumentally. I think Mark has always been an excellent songwriter, he just showcases it in a different way now. But of all the albums he's been involved in, Full Circle is the one that sounds thrown together.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I'd say it is All I Was, but to be fair, both albums sound pretty rushed.
Now that I look back, the 2009-2012 days weren't exactly's Mark's best years.
I remember being extremely excited in March 2009 when a new Creed album had been announced. Mark had never disappointed me ever before, and I was expecting an ambitious record like Blackbird that would have the Creed trademark sound. Blackbird meets Faceless Man. Can you imagine that ?!!