Another Heart Has Arrived!!

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
austin.
On The Rail

Re: Another Heart Has Arrived!!

Post by austin. »

Man, this song still gives me goosebumps. It just really appeals to what my ears want to hear. I'm not against catchy songs. I don't need ten thousand speed licks and ten thousand bass drum booms to be impressed. Tremonti showed again that he knows what a good song is.

I really love it.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Timotheus wrote:Just the way it's over-polished. All the beats have the same volume, because of the way it's compressed, and I think the bass drum is triggered (not sure about this one, you should ask a drummer). All of that just makes it sound less "human" and more robotic.
Yup, it's pretty much my issue with Garrett's sound since day one.
Flip sounds like a human on the other hand, and I love it.

By the way, the song has grown on me quite a bit.

sam1oq
Brand New Start

Post by sam1oq »

A bit dissapointing IMO. It's just too standard Tremonti style. Only the solo sounds a bit different (it gave me a bit of an Egyptian feel for some reason, but maybe that's just me) from his previous works. Good melodies, but a mediocore chorus and mediocore riffing. I wish he could just write a full metal song. He keeps on limiting himself with Hard Rock. I mean, come on man. You can do better than this. Gimme some cookie monster vocals for a change.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

No Cookie Monster vocals. If we got those I'd not buy or listen to it. Can't stand them.
Photobucket cash grab.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Ryan wrote:No Cookie Monster vocals. If we got those I'd not buy or listen to it. Can't stand them.
:yeahthat

If it wasn't for that, Periphery or Opeth would be my favourite band. I don't see any artistic value in such vocal style.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

It works for some bands. I like the vocals on most Killswitch Engage albums as well as Avemged Sevenfold's Waking The Fallen album. I don't think it fits for Tremonti though.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Don't worry. Mark has said himself that he can't growl anyway.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

abw1987 wrote:Don't worry. Mark has said himself that he can't growl anyway.
Good. He doesn't need to anyways. His singing voice is perfect for what it needs to do.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Opeth is a perfect example I think, of a band that can pull off those kind of vocals. I don't really like it when it's done all of the time, but I think it can convey anger in a much more effective way.

I don't think I'd like it in Alter Bridge (though I would be interested in hearing it), but I could see it work with Tremonti. Not gonna happen though.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

sam1oq
Brand New Start

Post by sam1oq »

I think cookie monster vocals on a few occasions could do wonders. It doesn't need to be a whole song, but sporadically it might add some extra brutality which Mark's work really misses sometimes. It also gives an extra edge to his vocals, making it less generic and more diverse. Think of roaring cookie monster vocals (oh god, I really love the cookie monster vocals term) like Akerfeldt in The Grand Conjuration. He already has a powerful voice, so adding a roar to it would only make it better IMO. Also for the whole feel of his songs it'd help.

I can live without them though. I only want to see some more brutality and a more straight up metal approach to his music. Now he's half hard rock, half metal, which hurts both styles. He should just leave the hard rock genre behind and go full metal. It's limiting his music so much.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Why do you think him going hard rock is limiting the music so much? I've always pegged Mark as the best guitarist in the modern hard rock genre. I would really a tad disappointed honestly if he went away with it for the next album. In fact, I think that's one of the reasons why I found All I Was to be a very surprising album that delivered better than Apocalyptic Love (which was my most hyped album of that year, that didn't deliver as well I hoped it would).

I understand the whole thing of wanting him to really go full metal like bands like Trivium and stuff like that. I don't know. I guess what I'm trying to get is that I rather have him be more like Stone Sour than, say, Slipknot.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

I looked up the Opeth song you listed and didn't care for those vocals at all. I like 'unleashed' Tremonti like what he does with his voice at the end of Decay, anything beyond that I don't think would be his style.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: "Oh no, he used the P-word"

Post by Timotheus »

Fish Tacos wrote:I like 'unleashed' Tremonti like what he does with his voice at the end of Decay, anything beyond that I don't think would be his style.
When I think about Mark doing "cookie monster vocals", that's kinda what I imagine him sounding like, only with some more distortion. The low Opeth grunts wouldn't really fit of course (though I'm sure some people would like it). It would just give more of a trashy sound to the music, which wouldn't be a bad thing. His music right now is basically Hard Rock with a bunch of metal riffs covered in a whole lotta pop (melodies, structures and production), or at least All I Was was. I think the project wouldn't suffer from focussing a bit more on the metal side and a bit less on the pop side. In the end that's what he's advertising the project to be.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

sam1oq
Brand New Start

Post by sam1oq »

anguyen92 wrote:Why do you think him going hard rock is limiting the music so much? I've always pegged Mark as the best guitarist in the modern hard rock genre. I would really a tad disappointed honestly if he went away with it for the next album. In fact, I think that's one of the reasons why I found All I Was to be a very surprising album that delivered better than Apocalyptic Love (which was my most hyped album of that year, that didn't deliver as well I hoped it would).

I understand the whole thing of wanting him to really go full metal like bands like Trivium and stuff like that. I don't know. I guess what I'm trying to get is that I rather have him be more like Stone Sour than, say, Slipknot.
Because he keeps on making semi-metal semi-hard rock songs. I wish he would just stick with one side for his songs, preferably metal. The songs the most metal were the best on his last album so I think it's only natural for him to go further in that direction instead of staying somewhere in between. It's also that his song writing style stays about the same when he plays this semi-style.
Timotheus wrote:
Fish Tacos wrote:I like 'unleashed' Tremonti like what he does with his voice at the end of Decay, anything beyond that I don't think would be his style.
When I think about Mark doing "cookie monster vocals", that's kinda what I imagine him sounding like, only with some more distortion. The low Opeth grunts wouldn't really fit of course (though I'm sure some people would like it). It would just give more of a trashy sound to the music, which wouldn't be a bad thing. His music right now is basically Hard Rock with a bunch of metal riffs covered in a whole lotta pop (melodies, structures and production), or at least All I Was was. I think the project wouldn't suffer from focussing a bit more on the metal side and a bit less on the pop side. In the end that's what he's advertising the project to be.
:yeahthat

Maybe Opeth wasn't the best example, but the Decay thing is in the right direction.
Last edited by sam1oq on Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Timotheus wrote:
HOW DARE YOU USE THE P-WORD, TIMO! THAT'S BLASPHEMY!

RuRo
Loyal Follower

Post by RuRo »

I can understand people wishing that Tremonti would commit more to a heavier or more metal approach with less hard rock style verses or choruses or harsh vocals... but then if you want to listen to something that is full thrash, speed metal or even death metal, there are plenty of thrash metal and death metal bands out there. But for people (like me and seemingly some other Tremonti fans) there are less options for people who like heavy or technical riffs and solos but don't like the harsh vocals or "cookie monster" growls that usually come with it, something like Tremonti is exactly what we're looking for. Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy for them to be even bolder in straying from the sound of Alter Bridge (though obviously I'd be hoping they stray a certain way that fits my tastes, and probably not everyone else's :lol) but I definitely don't think they need to fundamentally change their general approach of combining some very heavy riffs with clean vocals and strong catchy choruses and vocal melodies more associated with hard rock. Obviously I don't blame anyone for wanting them to do something more in line with their own tastes, but like I said, if you really like pure speed metal then there is stuff like that already out there, there isn't so much out there like Tremonti imo, even in terms of this level of heaviness with clean vocals and strong vocal melodies.

sam1oq
Brand New Start

Post by sam1oq »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
Timotheus wrote:
HOW DARE YOU USE THE P-WORD, TIMO! THAT'S BLASPHEMY!
Even more painful is that he's saying the truth. MARK'S DOING BLASPHEMY! WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!!

:P

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

RuRo wrote:I can understand people wishing that Tremonti would commit more to a heavier or more metal approach with less hard rock style verses or choruses or harsh vocals... but then if you want to listen to something that is full thrash, speed metal or even death metal, there are plenty of thrash metal and death metal bands out there. But for people (like me and seemingly some other Tremonti fans) there are less options for people who like heavy or technical riffs and solos but don't like the harsh vocals or "cookie monster" growls that usually come with it, something like Tremonti is exactly what we're looking for. Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy for them to be even bolder in straying from the sound of Alter Bridge (though obviously I'd be hoping they stray a certain way that fits my tastes, and probably not everyone else's :lol) but I definitely don't think they need to fundamentally change their general approach of combining some very heavy riffs with clean vocals and strong catchy choruses and vocal melodies more associated with hard rock. Obviously I don't blame anyone for wanting them to do something more in line with their own tastes, but like I said, if you really like pure speed metal then there is stuff like that already out there, there isn't so much out there like Tremonti imo, even in terms of this level of heaviness with clean vocals and strong vocal melodies.
Yea, I'm not saying he should completely abandon his sound. I like that he's between the genres. That's kinda his thing, I think. But a bit of a shift wouldn't be a bad thing in my opinion. We'll see what the new album sounds like. Then we'll talk again ;)
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

sam1oq
Brand New Start

Post by sam1oq »

RuRo wrote:I can understand people wishing that Tremonti would commit more to a heavier or more metal approach with less hard rock style verses or choruses or harsh vocals... but then if you want to listen to something that is full thrash, speed metal or even death metal, there are plenty of thrash metal and death metal bands out there. But for people (like me and seemingly some other Tremonti fans) there are less options for people who like heavy or technical riffs and solos but don't like the harsh vocals or "cookie monster" growls that usually come with it, something like Tremonti is exactly what we're looking for. Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy for them to be even bolder in straying from the sound of Alter Bridge (though obviously I'd be hoping they stray a certain way that fits my tastes, and probably not everyone else's :lol) but I definitely don't think they need to fundamentally change their general approach of combining some very heavy riffs with clean vocals and strong catchy choruses and vocal melodies more associated with hard rock. Obviously I don't blame anyone for wanting them to do something more in line with their own tastes, but like I said, if you really like pure speed metal then there is stuff like that already out there, there isn't so much out there like Tremonti imo, even in terms of this level of heaviness with clean vocals and strong vocal melodies.
Not fundamentally, just a natural change in style with some added elements of other styles. I also listen to heavier stuff and I get that people listen to Tremonti for his melodic approach to heavy music (I was there too, but thanks to Mark n Alter Bridge I got into heavier music). Mark just needs to up his game now, as he has been making music at about the same level since he left Creed. I don't want him to stay a "3.5-4 stars every album" type of artist. He can do better than that. And right now going more into metal seems to be the best choice.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

I'm with you. And Shea too about using the word pop.

This is what Tremonti said about Alter Bridge
...the essence of this band is organic and honest rock n’ roll. The music is driven by melody and instrumentation.
This project isn't AB, but I'm not sure that it's because of a different style/genre of music as much as he feels the songs themselves have a different overall band sound.