Tremonti's second album "Cauterize" June 2015!

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: Tremonti's second album "Cauterize" May 2015!

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Fish Tacos wrote:Hmm interesting, thanks I'd always thought about that. I wonder what's so different this time around? Although I do like what I've seen for Radical Change so far lyrically.
A writer has to change, grow, adapt, etc. If they wrote in the same style and the same subject matter all the time then it would get stale and people would lose interest. Personally; for whatever reason that Mark is writing the lyrics the way he is this time around; I like it. All I Was was a great record both musically and lyrically from him and I hope Cauterize is better. I obviously like what I've seen and heard so far as my sig implies.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Where is the Dust page? I don't see it in here nor on TABN's FB page.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

Army of 12: Los Angeles Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/ArmyOf12LosAngeles
Photobucket cash grab.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Fish Tacos wrote:
Timotheus wrote:It only made me realise that those words mean nothing without the music. Mark's not really a poetic writer (though he's written some beautiful stuff in the past). There's nothing wrong with that of course, especially in the genre he's shooting for.

That first verse of Tie The Noose just looks lame if there's no melody to connect it with. I chose to not read anything after that.
Yeah, I'm honestly a bit underwhelmed by the lyrics I've seen thus far myself. I know we've only seen 3/20 but it makes me wonder how much of the ODR lyrics he really wrote.
This is probably answered, but he did write In Loving Memory. And I think somewhere, from an interview with former WWE wrestler Edge, I believe he said Mark sang the words of Metalingus to him around mid-2003 or something, before Myles came into the picture when forming AB.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

I get an awesome visual of Mark lullaby singing the words of Metalingus acapella style to a massive muscle-bound wrestler in a tiny top.

JSlade

Post by JSlade »

Fish Tacos wrote:I don't think he's implying that, I think JSlade is just voicing his opinion on singles from the previews publicly seen thus far.
Wow, thanks for understanding man. Honestly didn't expect anyone to figure out that I was talking about the previews that the MAJORITY of the fans have heard. :facepalm

And to get back on topic of the lyrics, I'm with Timotheus on this; I don't think many of these lyrics are all too great. Cauterize has some interesting lyrics based on the Shiprocked videos, but IMO Tremonti writes interesting bits and pieces of lyrics, but never a whole song with overly good lyrics. What I'm wanting is for him to get away from his ever recurring themes:

Fall
Fade away
Pain
Past
Again
Wrong
Something/someone is gone
Etc, etc

I really liked Waters Rising because it told a story and didn't focus on anything like that.

"This is the season we tear our rivals down
This circle of tyrants will end us all right now
The earth has provided a means to burn it down."

That verse has more variety lyrically than almost anything else he's ever written, in my opinion. (That last part is important in case any of you want to jump my shit again.)

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I get the feeling that when he writes for Tremonti, he's really into the music and melody writing portion, but then with the lyrics he's pretty much filling in something to sing. Maybe it's the difference between him having to write lyrics for an entire album versus one song or pieces of a song like he usually does.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

JSlade

Post by JSlade »

You may have a point there. I know I'm in a minority in terms of nitpicking the lyrics, but it's because I like well written literature, so when lyrics are just as beautiful as literature, I get really excited. In Tremonti's case, it's a little like you said, the music is great but the lyrics are kind of just filler.

Just for an example of the types of lyrics I'm talking about that I like:

"Fragile are some when the seam comes undone
And consolation comes from what's familiar
Solace so loud that you can't turn it down
And the consolation comes from what's familiar

Now perception so distorted
Alabaster turns to brown
And the walls smile and whisper
And tell you not to doubt
Something resonates inside you
And confusion won't subside
Smell of yesterday so strong
I could forget
Tomorrow's mine."

That is a Citizen Swing lyric.
Last edited by JSlade on Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: *not an actual endorsement to commit a felony

Post by zazthespaz »

I think they might be getting a little worn out on writing lyrics, both him and Myles. I mean, how many albums have each of them contributed to lyrically? 10+ at least, that's more than most bands put out period. They might be needing some new inspiration or something. Someone go kidnap a dog or steal one of their cars or something.*
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

That's true too. Myles especially has to write a lot between full Slash albums and AB ones. Mark has always said he doesn't view himself as much of a lyricist. A lot of us love his One Day Remains lyrics, but that was really the only large sample of his writing until this band started.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

JSlade

Post by JSlade »

Find the Real has some amazing lyrics. Do you guys know which one wrote them?

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

According to my trusty One Day Remains tab book, "melody and lyrics" are a shared credit for the two of them on Find the Real, One Day Remains, Open Your Eyes and Metalingus, with The End Is Here also having a shared credit for the lyrics. The rest is all Mark.
For all of the hope that it brings...

benjoAB
White Knuckled

Post by benjoAB »

One day remains is a fantastic album lyrically

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

I'm surprised Burn It Down is not a Myles song

JSlade

Post by JSlade »

Bleed It Dry and Lover have some very imaginative lyrics that I really like, these two parts in particular:

"Blood machines burn the skies
Turning day into night
Everything will fade to dust again, weak or strong"

"The truth exposed and love is devoured
And the ivory tower is coming down
A vow betrayed and honor is broken
The wounds are open and bleeding out...
The trigger’s warm, the chamber is loaded
Lost in a moment. What went wrong?
There’s nothing left this house has been broken"

I think Myles definitely has some creative fuel left in the tank lyrically, but it maybe getting harder to use as time passes. In Mark's case, I don't think what I mentioned earlier about Waters Rising would really be applicable to his solo work, so I don't have much more to say about it lyrically.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

AB4Lyfe wrote:I'm surprised Burn It Down is not a Myles song
Yea, me too. The lyrics in the verses could easily have been on Second Skin or Fallout.

I remember Myles talking about running out of ideas in an interview. About how it's getting harder to sing about his own experiences, so that's why he has to look around. Songs like Calm The Fire, The Unholy and Beneath The Savage Sun are great examples of that, I think.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

They don't call each other musical brothers for nothing! I'd love them to do a cover of "Guy love" from Scrubs.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Timotheus wrote:About how it's getting harder to sing about his own experiences, so that's why he has to look around.
*cough* PCP *cough*

Bob_BleedItDry
Neon Impossible

Post by Bob_BleedItDry »

woooooooooooooooo Tremonti

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

benjoAB wrote:One day remains is a fantastic album lyrically
JSlade wrote:What I'm wanting is for him to get away from his ever recurring themes:
Fall
Fade away
Pain
Past
Again
Wrong
Something/someone is gone
Etc, etc

I said this in a different thread but I'll say it again here. ODR will be my favorite album in part due to the theme of hope being common across all but debatably one track. If they're getting worn out by writing darker and darker stuff, maybe the alternative is to go the other direction, especially in a song that is not a ballad, like so many of the ODR tracks.

Would be interesting to hear some hardcore Tremonti contrasted with some lyrics about hope, redemption, rebirth, pulling someone else up, protection, standing resolute, etc.