The Ides of March

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
phatnonphatness
Loyal Follower

Re: The Ides of March

Post by phatnonphatness »

I actually really enjoyed Year Of The Tiger, but overall this album misses the mark for me. Someone else mentioned it's just not very memorable and I feel like that sums it up quite well.

I do like that he's tried to expand his sound a fair bit, and there are some pretty decent tracks on here. I particularly like The Ides of March, Wake Me When It's Over, Moonshot and Worried Mind. There's a great deal of breathing room in a lot of these songs which I REALLY hope he brings to the next Alter Bridge album.

But so much of it just doesn't feel refined. Lyrics are mostly quite bland if not cheesy. It seems like he just doesn't have much to say, although it doesn't bother me much since I've never been a big lyrics guy anyway. Instrumentation can be very interesting in parts, but I feel the vocal melodies mostly let this record down. They're just...boring.

Hurts to say but so far, along with that first full Slash album, this is probably some of the most disappointing music he's released. Still very hopeful about the next Alter Bridge record though, Walk The Sky was great.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: More like the Ides of May for USPS

Post by MaraCarr »

gbruin wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:25 pm Sigh.

I still don't have mine yet. Tracking says it's still in fucking Chicago.

It looks like more than a few have the same problem, based on FB posts. Pretty bummed after preordering from Myles's website the day the day presales went out. Guess I have to go find a Walmart...
You got me tickled LMAO ... you get so upset... :)
Just to encourage you... it’s so worth the wait! Incredible album. :cloud9

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Way to brag about having the album when Greg doesn’t, Mara!
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Largely because I still have yet to place an order.

Post by zazthespaz »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:28 pm
Ubik wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:21 pm Just noticed, I don't think we have a single deny on this album.
Time to pull out the detective gear. 🕵️‍♂️

After a quick read through of the lyrics I can confirm that there isnt a single deny on this record :lol

Does this mean theres gonna be an overload of denies on Tremonti V or AB VII? 👀😂

Maybe Myles has finally ran out of things to deny! 🤔😱
I saw this last week and knew there was a phrase he's switched to but couldn't remember what it was. After listening yesterday, I realize it's "In due time." Shea, gimme a count on how many times Myles says that.

Also, hooray for streaming cause my order hasn't made it yet either!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: Myles will deny things once again in due time.

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

zazthespaz wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:37 pm I saw this last week and knew there was a phrase he's switched to but couldn't remember what it was. After listening yesterday, I realize it's "In due time." Shea, gimme a count on how many times Myles says that.

Once in A Thousand Words and once in Sifting Through The Fire. Only 2x total in the record. :lol

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Cause I'm too lazy to.

Post by zazthespaz »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:51 pm
zazthespaz wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:37 pm I saw this last week and knew there was a phrase he's switched to but couldn't remember what it was. After listening yesterday, I realize it's "In due time." Shea, gimme a count on how many times Myles says that.

Once in A Thousand Words and once in Sifting Through The Fire. Only 2x total in the record. :lol
Huh. Well remember this when the next Myles-related album comes out. I think you should go count in the other albums too.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Chart positions: #9 in Germany and #20 in UK

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

According to Metal Insider, he sold 7,125 copies, and debuted at 9 on the US sales chart (#170 on the Billboard 200 chart, which includes streaming).

Year of the Tiger, on the other hand, sold 9000 copies and debuted at #63 on the Billboard 200 chart.

sources:
https://metalinsider.net/columns/metal- ... -for-myles
https://www.billboard.com/music/Myles-K ... istory/TLP

The Dissident
White Knuckled

Post by The Dissident »

I'm still waiting for my copy, haven't recieved any emails since my purchase confirmation back in February...

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Hope you've had some more luck in the past few days Dissident (and others who've had the same problem).

So after letting it sink in for a good couple of weeks, I do really love this album. It's a strange one to listen to front to back as the first three tracks are by some distance my least favourite, then from Ides of March onwards it's hit after hit. Ides of March, Love Rain Down and Worried Mind are right in the top tier of his catalogue (as a whole, not just solo), Wake Me When It's Over and Tell It Like It Is are just pure fun, Moonshot has a great early 70s Bowie vibe, Wanderlust Begins has that first solo album magic and the chorus melody of Sifting Through the Fire is so infectious.

Really wish I'd been that productive during lockdown, I basically just caught up on PS4 games.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Ubik wrote:Really wish I'd been that productive during lockdown, I basically just caught up on PS4 games.
That’s a quality use of time imo.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Andy92 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:14 am
Ubik wrote:Really wish I'd been that productive during lockdown, I basically just caught up on PS4 games.
That’s a quality use of time imo.
"What did you do during the Great Pandemic, Granddad?"
"Well Aloy Jr, that's an interesting story."
For all of the hope that it brings...

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

Andy92 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:43 am Way to brag about having the album when Greg doesn’t, Mara!
Not bragging... Encouraging patience my wonderful friend!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

MaraCarr wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:18 am
Andy92 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:43 am Way to brag about having the album when Greg doesn’t, Mara!
Not bragging... Encouraging patience my wonderful friend!
I would have been bragging if it was me…

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

:mkrules

The Dissident
White Knuckled

Post by The Dissident »

Still nothing on my end for the record, emailed twice to the email provided on the initial email, no response yet. Fingers crossed it comes in soon.

If we were to compare it the rest of Myles extended catalog where would people be placing it?

The Dissident
White Knuckled

Post by The Dissident »

Turns out that despite getting a confirmation email from them, the payment for some reason didn't go through and my order didn't get made...

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

The Dissident wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:07 am Still nothing on my end for the record, emailed twice to the email provided on the initial email, no response yet. Fingers crossed it comes in soon.

If we were to compare it the rest of Myles extended catalog where would people be placing it?
honestly, i haven't even given it a second listen

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

The Dissident wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:07 am Still nothing on my end for the record, emailed twice to the email provided on the initial email, no response yet. Fingers crossed it comes in soon.

Better than Year Of The Tiger and bellow the rest of his catalog.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

nagpo wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:36 pm

honestly, i haven't even given it a second listen
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp