The Ides of March

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Re: MK II

Post by RevenantGB »

Love Rain Down is an outrageously good song, just wish there weren't so many vocal layers after the first verse.
Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

RevenantGB wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:21 am Love Rain Down is an outrageously good song, just wish there weren't so many vocal layers after the first verse.
Agreed, less is more. Good song though. My ears haven't always enjoyed Myles' voice (couldn't imagine saying that a few years back) in recent times, but he's enjoyable to listen to on this track - really smooth!

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

Myles' voice sounds great on this one. Really like it.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

Yeah, i bet that first solo album is pure gold. Love Can Only Heal and now Love Rain down. Can't imagine what the full album was like.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

It's a decent song. Vocally I prefer it more than In Stride and Get Along but I'm still underwhelmed/disappointed by it. He had a prime opportunity for a nice bluesy emotional solo at the end of the song to close it out and really complete and elevate the song to another level and there was nothing. The first time I got to the ending and didnt get a solo I was like :smashcomp :/

Ides of March
Love Rain Down
In Stride
Get Along

Hate to say it but we're less than a week away and this is the least excited I've ever been for a record from Myles since I discovered him and Mark back in 2013. Hopefully the rest of the record isnt as disappointing.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

The ending sounds like one of those Big Wreck songs where they decided after they wanted to state their points in the songs, they just do some guitar noodling in the end. It's all right. I'll put it as my 3rd favorite song of the bunch.

Ides of March
Get Along
Love Rains Down
In Stride

Nowadays, I don't need any albums from the AB camp to be, "this needs to be better than so and so album," like a competition, but that's not how I want to perceive music nowadays. Just have a main point and vision to the album and have some solid songs that we can enjoy. I think Ides of March will have that.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I think it's an okay song. it just kinda meanders to me but it's pleasant to listen to.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Re:

Post by Mr. Slash »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:28 am He had a prime opportunity for a nice bluesy emotional solo at the end of the song to close it out and really complete and elevate the song to another level and there was nothing. The first time I got to the ending and didnt get a solo I was like :smashcomp :/
Nah, I think he made a good decision not making it too AB like with some flashy guitar solo. I really love that laid-back vibe of that song.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Don't see the issue either. It's a nice jam at the end of the song. More laid-back, still playful and musical. Could see him extending that live.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Awww, snaps. My pre-ordered Shirt and CD bundle has arrived four days before the official release date.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

anguyen92 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:08 pm Awww, snaps. My pre-ordered Shirt and CD bundle has arrived four days before the official release date.
Damn, Kev that's what happened with me and ADM. I hope you enjoy the record if you plan on listening to it before official release! :eek

gbruin
MEGLADONG

No word whether it was applied to anything

Post by gbruin »

anguyen92 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:08 pm Awww, snaps. My pre-ordered Shirt and CD bundle has arrived four days before the official release date.
Nice! I got an email yesterday that the shipper had printed my mailing label. :facepalm
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

mirko.volpon
Bought The CDs

Post by mirko.volpon »

I hope my cd for friday...

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MidnightToker »

How about a quick review? First impressions? I'm interested in "Moonshot" based on Myles' comments about it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I haven't had a listen to it yet, since the only thing that plays a CD at my house nowadays is my old laptop and I haven't used it since I played the Live at the Royal Albert Hall DVD when it came out.

But, I might as well use it now and see where it takes us. I should get an external disc drive, but I'm too lazy and too cheap to get one.

On a side note, in a nice touch, in the thank you notes, he stated "In Memory of Jimmy Webb and Edward Van Halen."

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

All right, as a guy that has fallen really out of anything Hard Rock and replacing that void with JPop/JRock, my opinion will probably be the minority. As I mentioned this in Walk the Sky, I'm not looking for anyone in the AB camp to come up with the best whatever. I just want them to be honest of where they are at in life (now that everyone is at least late 40s) and write some solid and honest to themselves songs.

The main theme for Ides of March is probably an observation of life in a pandemic and everything that comes with it (good and ugly) with a good emphasis in encouraging hope through the end of it. That stated, there's plenty of pretty upbeat songs that I'm sure some people will probably hate here. I'm all for it though at this point in life, although I wouldn't say that 5 years ago. There are still some slow songs that you sit back and reflect on stuff like the recently released Love Rain Down and Worried Mind. For people that don't like Elvis as a producer, this album won't change your mind, take it or leave it.

I will leave this thought though. With this album, if a band like Zac Brown Band wants to have someone to open when they get back on tour and they pick Myles Kennedy to open, he would not look out of place with that crowd one bit (and I loved watching ZBB live when I saw them in 2019.) A lot more Americana/country elements here. I haven't heard those bands much, but maybe something along more the veins of Allman Brothers and Gov't Mule (another band that Myles is close with).

I like it a lot though. I'm not going to say if it's better/worst than an AB album, a Slash album, a Mayfield Four album, or Year of the Tiger, but I don't rate music like that anymore. I keep listening to it on the repeat as much as I can like everything else in the AB camp until the next thing they come up. Myles delivered another solid album to me. If he is able to do shows in the Pacific time zone, I'll be there and do what I can to make a trip out of it.

Favorites: Get Along, The Ides of March, Moonshot, Wanderlust Begins, and Sifting Through the Fire.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Timely Mod 2021 ('22?)

Post by zazthespaz »

gbruin wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:16 am Hey mods! When can we rename this thread The Ides Of March?
Request approved. There was a lot of debate over this one which is why it took so long to implement. Every single mod definitely saw this request and we've definitely been talking about it ever since.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: whether the "O" in "of" should be capitalized?

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

zazthespaz wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:16 pm
gbruin wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:16 am Hey mods! When can we rename this thread The Ides Of March?
Request approved. There was a lot of debate over this one which is why it took so long to implement. Every single mod definitely saw this request and we've definitely been talking about it ever since.
What was the debate about? :lol

Because I see you went with the lowercase "o" even after Greg suggested the capital "O"

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: The Ides of March

Post by Ubik »

I stand with zaz on this one.

And thanks for the review, Kev! Hoping it's on Spotify from midnight.
For all of the hope that it brings...

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: The Ides of March

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Idk whats going on with iTunes but usually on the Thursday before release you could go onto AU/NZ iTunes and check out the previews for the album, but even though it showing the album as available on it, its not letting me play the previews. Never had this happen before 🤔