On The Rail

Re: The Official MAYFIELD FOUR Thread

Post by nagpo »

Sometimes I agree. The MF4 lyrics are more grungy/emotional

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

According to this Facebook fan page of the MF4, former guitarist Craig Johnson got shot by the police during an altercation. I don't know about the credibility of this page tho.
https://www.facebook.com/TheMayfield4/p ... 1927727238

facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by facelessman07 »

Mr. Slash wrote:According to this Facebook fan page of the MF4, former guitarist Craig Johnson got shot by the police during an altercation. I don't know about the credibility of this page tho.
https://www.facebook.com/TheMayfield4/p ... 1927727238
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/s ... ter-he-po/

Virtually any death is a tragedy, but this dude should've known better than to point a gun at cops.

nagpo
On The Rail

Re: 12/31 HAPPY NEW YEARS EVE

Post by nagpo »

If I had a drink
I'd drink it.
If I had a drug
I'd take it.
I'd do anything to peel away the pain I feel right now.
It's a mild December 31.
Snow cries hard onto flooded earth,
But it can't compare to tear-soaked beds Shared by
Forbidden lovers again
One more time Before we fade away, and turn The page.
One last time With a final kiss remember This 12/31.
Now I'm the one who sits alone,
It's my fault I can't hold my own.
You see I'm broken down and bleeding from a Six month
Scab we peeled away tonight.
In the year's last hour the swan song will Fade at last,
And I will sing no more
So just let me go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIXRjw1Oye0

I listen to this song every NYE. Have a good one guys.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

I hope your new years eves aren't as sad as the lyrics of that song.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Myles said he's likely playing Don't Walk Away on his solo tour. That alone would be worth the price of the show. Man, there are so many incredible MF4 songs that would just be amazing to hear and see.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: This is like the time you got me worked up in the hotel.

Post by zazthespaz »

gbruin wrote:Myles said he's likely playing Don't Walk Away on his solo tour. That alone would be worth the price of the show. Man, there are so many incredible MF4 songs that would just be amazing to hear and see.
Nice tease, Greg.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

It's 12/31

You know what to listen to.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

nagpo wrote:It's 12/31

You know what to listen to.
Fuuuuuuuuuuck. It's already 01/01 in Europe. This year this song would've fit so well. Instead I listened to White Flag and Year of the Tiger. :no

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Roneit wrote:I friend of mine, who is an engineer sound and didnt know AB, got thunderstruck with ABIII production. He said it was perfect, one of the best works he had seen.

I remember said to him: "really?!", and he answered "yes, man, very good professional work (and started to talk technical things I cant remember)"

I still think is overproduced, but his opinion sure gave me something to think about.

Imo ABIII is their worst produced album, hate the muddy guitar tones too.Still fantastic album but that first big break in the amazing Slip to The Void lacked the punch it deserved

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

chtimixeur wrote:
Roneit wrote:I friend of mine, who is an engineer sound and didnt know AB, got thunderstruck with ABIII production. He said it was perfect, one of the best works he had seen.

I remember said to him: "really?!", and he answered "yes, man, very good professional work (and started to talk technical things I cant remember)"

I still think is overproduced, but his opinion sure gave me something to think about.
Wel I'm sorry to hear your friend will be a professional engineer then.
He obviously has no idea what he's talking about.
Anybody who's an audiophile will tell you ABIII production sums up everything that is wrong in the modern producing days (too loud, do dynamics, too many useless effects, subpar mixing...).
If you want a good sounding rock record, go back 25 years ago, and listen to Mutt Lange or Bob Rock's records. Unlike Elvis, these guys knew what they were doing, and they knew how to make a rock record sound good (crystal clear sound, good instrument separation, honest representation of the band, huge drum sound, amazing guitar tones, etc...)

Van Halen's first album is the best mix and guitar tones ive ever heard, it was produced in 78

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

chtimixeur wrote:I agree with Them Bones.
Myles shined way more vocally on the MF4 and Citizen Swing albums. Alternative rock was definitely his thing.

As to BMarsh, he shined more on the first 2 Creed records. Why ? Because we could actually hear him on the album ! :p
Also, the fact that a lot of songs had clean guitar allowed the bass to be higher in the mix.

He was absolutely brilliant but are we gonna ignore vocal masterclasses like Find The Real,Metalingus,In Loving Memory,Blackbird,Words Darker Than Their Wings,Calm the Fire,Cry Of Achillies,This Side Of Fate and Cradle To The Grave ?

AngusWolfe
Bought The CDs

Post by AngusWolfe »

I get the feeling that it's a maturity thing. When I listen to ODR now I notice how hard Myles is trying. Every song has either a massively powerful high note or some vocal flourish to show he can hang. Now I feel he saves it for when it matters and really ads to the song. I guess he has less to prove? He also has to perform these songs day in day out on tour, and that's not getting easier.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

AngusWolfe wrote:I get the feeling that it's a maturity thing. When I listen to ODR now I notice how hard Myles is trying. Every song has either a massively powerful high note or some vocal flourish to show he can hang. Now I feel he saves it for when it matters and really ads to the song. I guess he has less to prove? He also has to perform these songs day in day out on tour, and that's not getting easier.

Find The Real is some of the best rock vocals ive heard from anyone, such a complete performance vocally

facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by facelessman07 »

AngusWolfe wrote:I get the feeling that it's a maturity thing. When I listen to ODR now I notice how hard Myles is trying. Every song has either a massively powerful high note or some vocal flourish to show he can hang. Now I feel he saves it for when it matters and really ads to the song. I guess he has less to prove? He also has to perform these songs day in day out on tour, and that's not getting easier.
Uhh wut?

ODR from top to bottom is the best vocal performance to date with AB. However, his voice over the past several years has become thinner and feels more artificial and frankly, it's challenging to listen to. Like, I can only endure so much before I get annoyed.

Quit singing with your septum and get back to that wide, booming growl. It's ABVI's only hope.

facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by facelessman07 »

LosingPatience wrote:

Find The Real is some of the best rock vocals ive heard from anyone, such a complete performance vocally
Exactly.

Imagine if they cut that track again for the upcoming album with new vocals.

There'd be absolutely no comparison. I don't know if this is something he's doing consciously or if his voice has changed that much into this thinner shell of its former self, but he needs to sacrifice every illegitimate child within a 100 mile radius if that's what it takes to get it back.

AngusWolfe
Bought The CDs

Post by AngusWolfe »

facelessman07 wrote:
Uhh wut?

ODR from top to bottom is the best vocal performance to date with AB. However, his voice over the past several years has become thinner and feels more artificial and frankly, it's challenging to listen to. Like, I can only endure so much before I get annoyed.

Quit singing with your septum and get back to that wide, booming growl. It's ABVI's only hope.
I'm not saying it's bad by any stretch of the imagination, I think Myles has his best tone on ODR and Blackbird for sure, but ODR is a bit like listening to Mariah Carey. Insanely talented, but with too many acrobatics for them to mean anything. Same with a Steve Vai guitar solo. The high note in Words Darker Than Their Wings works so well because you aren't hearing it every song, it's special. It can become cliche instead of effective if over used.

I think Myles has just gotten older, and knows he needs to protect his voice or end up wrecking it. It's also entirely possible that it's too late and he just can't sing like that any more. I think YOTT has proved that if he keeps things in a slightly lower register his tone still kicks ass, so hopefully that'll come across in ABVI.

findthereal4
Brand New Start

Post by findthereal4 »

Hi

Any one could be kind enough to send me the mp3 files for all the unreleased Mayfield four tracks please.

Thanks

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

findthereal4 wrote:Hi

Any one could be kind enough to send me the mp3 files for all the unreleased Mayfield four tracks please.

Thanks
I could be but I wont.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Myles talking about his MF4 past and why you shouldn't listen to favorite artist's new album before recording one yourself. I didn't know that he in the end declined Led Zeppelin's offer. I always assumed it was them who didn't want to have Myles as a singer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KBh9jKnPkU