The Official MAYFIELD FOUR Thread

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
chtimixeur
On The Rail
Posts: 1020
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:15 am

Re: The Official MAYFIELD FOUR Thread

Postby chtimixeur » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:42 am

MF4 were amazing.
If you can't hear it, it's too bad for you, because you're missing out on a great original band that didn't write the same song over and over again.

User avatar
Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:39 am

Re: The Official MAYFIELD FOUR Thread

Postby Violent Corpse » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:12 pm

chtimixeur wrote:MF4 were amazing.
If you can't hear it, it's too bad for you, because you're missing out on a great original band that didn't write the same song over and over again.

:yeahthat

Thanks, Timotheus.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 1:36 am

Re: The Official MAYFIELD FOUR Thread

Postby cheesedip1 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:56 pm

Alter Bridge is only as big as they are because of Creed.

What makes you say that? Could you give some examples?

chtimixeur wrote:MF4 were amazing.
If you can't hear it, it's too bad for you, because you're missing out on a great original band that didn't write the same song over and over again.


Look man, I'm sure you're a cool guy, but you do know that that's just YOUR opinion, right?

I try to always look at situations objectively, even my favorite bands. I try not to let my biases shine through (even though it is hard). Even with the first band I ever liked, Nickelback. I harp on them (in my head) when they make songs I think are weak or when I think they could of did better with x y and z. I really try to not be biased.

Anyways, in my honest opinion I thought MF4 were pretty good. But I thought, idk, 5-7 songs or so were average and nothing too special.

But feel free to disagree.

Also, there are tons of bands that don't write the same song over and over again.

User avatar
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle
Posts: 15821
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:52 am
Location: Belgium シ

Re: The Official MAYFIELD FOUR Thread

Postby Timotheus » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:05 pm

cheesedip1 wrote:Look man, I'm sure you're a cool guy, but you do know that that's just YOUR opinion, right?

This might be the most ironic post on this board ever.

Alter Bridge is only as big as they are because of Creed.


What makes you say that? Could you give some examples?

Because they "skipped" the hard part. They got all the attention they needed from the start. Tremonti already had a lot of fans that looked up to him. If AB started out like The Mayfield Four, an unknown band from an unknown town, it would've been a lot harder for them. It's not fair to compare the two bands based on their success.
Image

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 1:36 am

Re: The Official MAYFIELD FOUR Thread

Postby cheesedip1 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:09 am

Timotheus wrote:This might be the most ironic post on this board ever.


I wasn't saying his opinion was wrong or stupid.

I just thought that this:

"If you can't hear it, it's too bad for you, because you're missing out on a great original band that didn't write the same song over and over again."

was a little bit condescending.

Timotheus wrote:Because they "skipped" the hard part. They got all the attention they needed from the start. Tremonti already had a lot of fans that looked up to him. If AB started out like The Mayfield Four, an unknown band from an unknown town, it would've been a lot harder for them. It's not fair to compare the two bands based on their success.


I guess that's true.

How big do you think AB would be without being the offshoots of Creed? Do u think they would be bigger than MF4? How big do u think they would be? (Note: This is a serious question. It's not me being sarcastic or something).

User avatar
anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator
Posts: 8138
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:31 pm
Location: California

Re: The Official MAYFIELD FOUR Thread

Postby anguyen92 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:28 am

cheesedip1 wrote:How big do you think AB would be without being the offshoots of Creed? Do u think they would be bigger than MF4? How big do u think they would be? (Note: This is a serious question. It's not me being sarcastic or something).


That's a tough question right there because you have to ask yourself other questions in other scenarios such as these: What happens if AB did not get out of Wind-Up? What happens if AB was in Roadrunner Records immediately after leaving Wind-Up? What happens if they manage to get out of Wind-Up completely unscathed and did not have to pay off a huge sum getting out of the contract? What happens if the music industry didn't go the crapper around the time AB left Wind-Up records? Would they be able to sell 500,000+ copies of Blackbird like they did with ODR hadn't the industry started going into the crapper regarding album sales?

In my insane mind, I would really like to believe if AB started off fresh without the Creed name, without the liabilities they have to incur regarding the Wind-Up contract buyout, without anything derailing the band's progress, they would be fine. They would still get to here in the now (maybe playing in bigger music halls in the states than the small 1,500+ theaters that they have been accustomed to), it would just be a different direction (could have been a better direction with less headaches).
Image


"When you perform a new move, people will be confused or not react at all at first. But you can’t just give up there. You must be patient until it is established. I underwent an emotional conflict, but I kept on going with the style I believed in." - Hiroshi Tanahashi (NJPW Wrestler)

"Tranquilo, Assen na yo!" - Tetsuya Naito (NJPW Wrestler)

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 1:36 am

Re: The Official MAYFIELD FOUR Thread

Postby cheesedip1 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:09 am

1. What do you mean by 'different direction'?

2. Not to derail the thread here, but how much do u think AB even make as a band? Like money wise? I mean, idk, I feel like touring would be such a struggle if you weren't making much income from it.

User avatar
anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator
Posts: 8138
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:31 pm
Location: California

Re: The Official MAYFIELD FOUR Thread

Postby anguyen92 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:28 am

As a band, I would like to think they made roughly $4 million dollars in ticket sales in their Europe tour in 2013 (of course, they got to divide that up as Shinedown and Halestorm were main supports, Shinedown in the UK, Halestorm in both UK and Europe as a whole). Add in merchandise, VIP meet-and-greets, and even with paying expenses like venue renting and paying the roadies, I still would like to think it's a decent amount for these guys to live off of for them and their family and their livelihoods.

2014 was a decent year as well though not as much as they made in Europe. Probably like $1,000,000 in ticket sales of their US headlining shows, Add in merchandise sales, VIP meet-and-greets, and now guitar sessions from Mark. That's not even including European festival appearances when they were getting mainstage supporting spots playing around 45 min.-1 hr before bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Aerosmith. Yes, there are lots of expenses as it is the nature of touring, but I would like to think they manage to get themselves in the green during those years they were touring for Fortress to support their families and all and slowly chip away from that debt.

I think for most lower bands, they would love to make the sort of income that AB makes, nowadays. However for a band like AB, with having to pay off that liability they incurred from Wind-Up Records, it's not enough sadly and in these days of the music industry, it's going to get a lot harder to climb out of that hole, but in order to make progress, you got to do stuff as a band to keep some momentum going.
Image


"When you perform a new move, people will be confused or not react at all at first. But you can’t just give up there. You must be patient until it is established. I underwent an emotional conflict, but I kept on going with the style I believed in." - Hiroshi Tanahashi (NJPW Wrestler)

"Tranquilo, Assen na yo!" - Tetsuya Naito (NJPW Wrestler)

chtimixeur
On The Rail
Posts: 1020
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:15 am

Re: The Official MAYFIELD FOUR Thread

Postby chtimixeur » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:51 am

@cheesedip1 : that was not meant to be condescending. Music is a subjective art, and there is no truth. I happen to love MF4, and I'm glad I do, because those guys were virtually unknown. There are tons of bands that I know are good, but I'm not enjoying their music for whatever reason. I'm the one missing out on good music in that case.
All I'm saying is MF4 were not your average post-grunge or alternative band. Myles was able to convey deep emotions, and his writing wasn't filled with as many clichés as it is now. His voice was still in his prime, and aside from a couple of songs, he didn't try to rely on formulas to get some radio ariplay. I mean, who in his right mind will write a song like 12/31 ? It's not commercial by any means, but it's real, and that's what I loved about early Myles. He always wore his heart on his sleeve.

User avatar
psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er
Posts: 784
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:15 am

Re: The Official MAYFIELD FOUR Thread

Postby psycosquirrel789 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:42 am

^ Love.
Image

User avatar
Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:39 am

Re: The Official MAYFIELD FOUR Thread

Postby Violent Corpse » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:26 pm

chtimixeur wrote:@cheesedip1 : that was not meant to be condescending. Music is a subjective art, and there is no truth. I happen to love MF4, and I'm glad I do, because those guys were virtually unknown. There are tons of bands that I know are good, but I'm not enjoying their music for whatever reason. I'm the one missing out on good music in that case.
All I'm saying is MF4 were not your average post-grunge or alternative band. Myles was able to convey deep emotions, and his writing wasn't filled with as many clichés as it is now. His voice was still in his prime, and aside from a couple of songs, he didn't try to rely on formulas to get some radio ariplay. I mean, who in his right mind will write a song like 12/31 ? It's not commercial by any means, but it's real, and that's what I loved about early Myles. He always wore his heart on his sleeve.

^ Love

joshuabeau
White Knuckled
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:52 pm
Location: the terrible south
Contact:

Re: The Official MAYFIELD FOUR Thread

Postby joshuabeau » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:13 pm

chtimixeur wrote:@cheesedip1 : that was not meant to be condescending. Music is a subjective art, and there is no truth. I happen to love MF4, and I'm glad I do, because those guys were virtually unknown. There are tons of bands that I know are good, but I'm not enjoying their music for whatever reason. I'm the one missing out on good music in that case.
All I'm saying is MF4 were not your average post-grunge or alternative band. Myles was able to convey deep emotions, and his writing wasn't filled with as many clichés as it is now. His voice was still in his prime, and aside from a couple of songs, he didn't try to rely on formulas to get some radio ariplay. I mean, who in his right mind will write a song like 12/31 ? It's not commercial by any means, but it's real, and that's what I loved about early Myles. He always wore his heart on his sleeve.

Yesssssss

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 1:36 am

Re: The Official MAYFIELD FOUR Thread

Postby cheesedip1 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:24 am

chtimixeur wrote:@cheesedip1 : that was not meant to be condescending. Music is a subjective art, and there is no truth. I happen to love MF4, and I'm glad I do, because those guys were virtually unknown. There are tons of bands that I know are good, but I'm not enjoying their music for whatever reason. I'm the one missing out on good music in that case.
All I'm saying is MF4 were not your average post-grunge or alternative band. Myles was able to convey deep emotions, and his writing wasn't filled with as many clichés as it is now. His voice was still in his prime, and aside from a couple of songs, he didn't try to rely on formulas to get some radio ariplay. I mean, who in his right mind will write a song like 12/31 ? It's not commercial by any means, but it's real, and that's what I loved about early Myles. He always wore his heart on his sleeve.


It's all cool, bro.

I wasn't totally sure if you were being condescending or not, it was just hard for me to read into your post. Those things happen sometimes.

12/31 definitely isn't commercial by any means.

Great response, btw. Cheers.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 1:36 am

Re: The Official MAYFIELD FOUR Thread

Postby cheesedip1 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:35 am

anguyen92 wrote:I think for most lower bands, they would love to make the sort of income that AB makes, nowadays. However for a band like AB, with having to pay off that liability they incurred from Wind-Up Records, it's not enough sadly and in these days of the music industry, it's going to get a lot harder to climb out of that hole, but in order to make progress, you got to do stuff as a band to keep some momentum going.



I get that making a record costs money and then bands tour to pay off the money incurred that was spent on the album etc.

Then, they usually make a 2nd record.

What i dont understand is, why even make a 2nd album? If a band releases their debut album and it flops, could they not just wait for some time and tour again? I mean, I'd be afraid in this case that the 2nd album would be a flop and then they would tour, not recoup all the losses and then be in trouble cuz they still owe the label money.

Why even make a 2nd album in that case? Is it because perhaps the first record didnt garnish enough interest from people so now the idea is to take a gamble with the 2nd one? I mean it sounds like quite a pickle of a situation to be in.

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er
Posts: 520
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:53 pm

Re: The Official MAYFIELD FOUR Thread

Postby Jhenrid » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:56 am

cheesedip1 wrote:I get that making a record costs money and then bands tour to pay off the money incurred that was spent on the album etc.

Then, they usually make a 2nd record.

What i dont understand is, why even make a 2nd album? If a band releases their debut album and it flops, could they not just wait for some time and tour again? I mean, I'd be afraid in this case that the 2nd album would be a flop and then they would tour, not recoup all the losses and then be in trouble cuz they still owe the label money.

Why even make a 2nd album in that case? Is it because perhaps the first record didnt garnish enough interest from people so now the idea is to take a gamble with the 2nd one? I mean it sounds like quite a pickle of a situation to be in.


You make a second album to have something to promote and tour on, if you keep doing tours on one album people will get tired and bored of hearing the same thing over and over and stop coming. You could technically just write new material to play and not record it but than you risk losing out on money that people would pay to be able to have that music.

User avatar
SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON
Posts: 7743
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:27 pm
Location: TABN

Re: The Official MAYFIELD FOUR Thread

Postby SHEAKENBAKEN » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:19 am

Don't know if this has been posted before but I came across this old interview of Myles from 2001 LOL

Hasn't aged a day in 15 years! LOL

[youtube]http://youtu.be/wys-kOkj7GM[/youtube]
Image

nagpo
On The Rail
Posts: 1209
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:11 pm

Re: The Official MAYFIELD FOUR Thread

Postby nagpo » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:17 am

Myles could've been a model. How can one man be so good looking, talented AND such a nice guy?

User avatar
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle
Posts: 15821
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:52 am
Location: Belgium シ

Re: The Official MAYFIELD FOUR Thread

Postby Timotheus » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:22 am

Lol, I wonder if he's still into Britney...

The ending was awkward. Funny that even back then he sucked at stuff like that.
Image

User avatar
Mr. Slash
Hardcore TABN'er
Posts: 977
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:40 am
Location: Germany

Re: The Official MAYFIELD FOUR Thread

Postby Mr. Slash » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:39 am

Timotheus wrote:
The ending was awkward.

Thanks to the host.

User avatar
gbruin
MEGLADONG
Posts: 6346
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:27 pm
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO

Re: The Official MAYFIELD FOUR Thread

Postby gbruin » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:22 am

Wow. What a cool find.

Am I the only one who likes Myles' MF4 lyrics a lot more than his AB lyrics? [/blasphemy]
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die


Return to “Myles & Co”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests