Mark Morton feat. Myles Kennedy, Chester Bennington and others. (Release date March 1)

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Mark Morton feat. Myles Kennedy, Chester Bennington and others. (Release date March 1)

Post by mitch103 »

https://www.amazon.com/Anesthetic-Expli ... ref=plSrch#

The first track with Chester is sick! Cant wait to hear how the track with Myles "Save Defiance" sounds!

benjoAB
White Knuckled

Re: Mark Morton feat. Myles Kennedy, Chester Bennington and others. (Release date March 1)

Post by benjoAB »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GH1n_jCa510

New track sounds awesome! Very alter bridge!

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Re: Mark Morton feat. Myles Kennedy, Chester Bennington and others. (Release date March 1)

Post by Mr. Slash »

His voice sounds interesting. Not as nasally as on TLH, not as highly pitched if you know what I mean. And again, he denied something!

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I honestly think it's incredibly bland, and I thought the song with Chester was pretty cool.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

mirko.volpon
Bought The CDs

Post by mirko.volpon »

Beautiful track

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

No wonder people say rock is dying when you hear tracks like that. Myles sounds pretty cool tho.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

I wouldn’t say I dislike the track, but I can’t bored of it after the third listen. Not enough to keep coming back to it.

That being said I did enjoy Myles with that type of instrumentation behind him.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

it was alright. Lyrically seemed to be coming from the same place TLH did which is disappointing and quite boring. Really makes me lose hope for AB6. But I kind of liked the the chorus. I don't think I'll be coming back to the song. It's just like every other song I've heard. Dolo said "No wonder people say rock is dying when you hear tracks like that", and I kind of have to agree. This song is the same type of rock music people were making ten+ years ago.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Hmmm. I see people mean when they say this track is on the blandish side. I guess this can be a solid example of what an AB-sounding track with Myles on vocals look like if Mark Tremonti wasn't on lead guitar. It looks like hit all the volleys of what is expected of an AB track (having that 00s post grunge elements with some modern heavier elements to it) without having a Tremonti ripping solo. However, like in his work in Living The Dream, I can understand that on the backs of Year of the Tiger, after doing things we never expected Myles would do (or would do again), going back to a typical-sounding Slash or AB track without heavily exploring new ground could be something that people may not get too excited about.

That stated, for this track alone, I do agree. It is a bit formulaic, but I like this kind of formulaic kind of modern rock in comparison to what I perceive is formulaic stuff with Slash. It's a solid track, but I don't think I would want to revisit this again too often in comparison to something like the song Black & White (the track he did with Richards & Crane).

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I was obviously referring to what's going on in the 'mainstream', because if you dig down into progressive and experimental scenes, you'll find a lot of brilliant stuff but this track is just modern (mainstream) rock/metal at it's blandest. I've listened to the two other tracks from this upcoming record and I am wondering if people aren't getting bored of the same chord progressions, melodies and riffs. It seems like nothing has changed in the last 15-20 years in the rock scene, as nagpo mentioned.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

anguyen92 wrote:Hmmm. I see people mean when they say this track is on the blandish side. I guess this can be a solid example of what an AB-sounding track with Myles on vocals look like if Mark Tremonti wasn't on lead guitar. It looks like hit all the volleys of what is expected of an AB track (having that 00s post grunge elements with some modern heavier elements to it) without having a Tremonti ripping solo. However, like in his work in Living The Dream, I can understand that on the backs of Year of the Tiger, after doing things we never expected Myles would do (or would do again), going back to a typical-sounding Slash or AB track without heavily exploring new ground could be something that people may not get too excited about.

That stated, for this track alone, I do agree. It is a bit formulaic, but I like this kind of formulaic kind of modern rock in comparison to what I perceive is formulaic stuff with Slash. It's a solid track, but I don't think I would want to revisit this again too often in comparison to something like the song Black & White (the track he did with Richards & Crane).
I also agree with you about the latest Slash album. I pretty much had the same feeling about it as I do with this song. One listen was enough and I've never had the urge to hear it again. I didn't even buy it, and I pretty much buy every record the creed/AB related parties make. I just heard it on youtube. I find no value in some of these latest ventures.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Dolo wrote:I was obviously referring to what's going on in the 'mainstream', because if you dig down into progressive and experimental scenes, you'll find a lot of brilliant stuff but this track is just modern (mainstream) rock/metal at it's blandest. I've listened to the two other tracks from this upcoming record and I am wondering if people aren't getting bored of the same chord progressions, melodies and riffs. It seems like nothing has changed in the last 15-20 years in the rock scene, as nagpo mentioned.
(damn my multiposting!)

In contrast, if you looks at other mainstream genres of music, like hip/hop, pop, and, i don't know if this is the right term, techno- like daft punk; the genres have been constantly changing their sound. Maybe no to much their format, but a hiphop or pop song on the radio now sounds different from from 15 years ago. I can't really say the same about rock/metal. But that's just me

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

That's because 15 years ago they were playing Guns N' Roses, and now they're still playing Guns N' Roses, lol.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Nicklord
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Nicklord »

nagpo wrote:it was alright. Lyrically seemed to be coming from the same place TLH did which is disappointing and quite boring. Really makes me lose hope for AB6. But I kind of liked the the chorus. I don't think I'll be coming back to the song. It's just like every other song I've heard. Dolo said "No wonder people say rock is dying when you hear tracks like that", and I kind of have to agree. This song is the same type of rock music people were making ten+ years ago.
This song was probably recorded back then. The one with Chester was completed like 2 years ago

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

I agree that the song was very generic and bland. The song with Chester was way better imo :-/

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Dolo wrote:No wonder people say rock is dying when you hear tracks like that. Myles sounds pretty cool tho.

Honestly like what Myles brought to a generic and repetitive riff

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

mitch103 wrote:I agree that the song was very generic and bland. The song with Chester was way better imo :-/

I think the song was better riff wise but i can only take 1 Chester scream track before i need panadol

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

LosingPatience wrote:
mitch103 wrote:I agree that the song was very generic and bland. The song with Chester was way better imo :-/

I can only take 1 Chester scream track before i need panadol
My sincerest sympathies for having to count yourself as a very large minority in that opinion.. :no

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Why are you offering sympathies for an opinion? I heard the Chester song a few times on Octane and quite frankly, other than the fact it was the last thing he has ever collaborated in before his passing, it doesn't really do much for me in terms of enjoying the song. At least, the song Myles provided vocals on has a certain sense of familiarity that I can enjoy, even if it is blandish.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

So, heard Save Defiance on Octane. Honestly, the first song on Octane that I listened to in full that featured Myles (opted to switch stations when a Slash song plays. Not because I think it's a bad song, but for reasons why I probably switch stations if I hear a Creed song, although a Creed song would be greatly appreciated if it's played on Turbo).

My impressions after a couple of weeks is that it is a good carbon copy of an Alter Bridge song, without Mark Tremonti on lead guitar and without a bridge that can build suspense and anticipation to the song (which over time, I feel like that's been a great asset to the AB sound apart from the obvious things that makes them so great).

That stated, "Oh sure, you play the carbon copy of an AB song on Octane, you're willing to play AB's little brother, Like A Storm, on Octane, and not AB themselves." DOES ANYONE SEE WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT PICTURE?