New Slash/MK Album On The Way

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
antiwal
Loyal Follower

Re: New Slash/MK Album On The Way

Post by antiwal »

Gee, what's wrong with you miserable lot?! This is just a straight-up fun rock n' roll song, I'm liking it. Woo, lucky me!!!

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

antiwal wrote:Gee, what's wrong with you miserable lot?! This is just a straight-up fun rock n' roll song, I'm liking it. Woo, lucky me!!!
I'm just at that point in life where I'm not looking for a "straight-up fun rock n' roll" song, especially from Myles. It doesn't mean I don't like fun songs (i.e. my earlier comment of being into Owl City), but this style of rock music to me doesn't really scream "genuine" to me nowadays.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

anguyen92 wrote:
antiwal wrote:Gee, what's wrong with you miserable lot?! This is just a straight-up fun rock n' roll song, I'm liking it. Woo, lucky me!!!
I'm just at that point in life where I'm not looking for a "straight-up fun rock n' roll" song, especially from Myles. It doesn't mean I don't like fun songs (i.e. my earlier comment of being into Owl City), but this style of rock music to me doesn't really scream "genuine" to me nowadays.
Jup. That style is truly worn out.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

It's an okay song, but this is the sound they pull off the best. When Apocalyptic Love was released I thought they bonus tracks, Crazy Life and Carolina, were some of these best on that album, because they had an Aerosmith kind of vibe. This song reminds me of those tracks.

Sure it's polished and has some problems, but the same could be said about every AB related song since ODR.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

psycosquirrel789 wrote:Myles is my fav singer, but he has pitch issues - that’s undeniable.
This I can't deny :lol

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

psycosquirrel789 wrote:
Jaded Rescue wrote:
psycosquirrel789 wrote:
Jaded Rescue wrote:
psycosquirrel789 wrote:Pretty boring and average song. The pitch correction is off and sounds unnatural on certain parts. Can't wrap my head around the Standing reference. 4/10 for me.
Where are you hearing pitch correction exactly? I figured they were recording to tape again like they have been.
Its blatant at the 40 sec mark when he sings "and remember the last time you know" and the 1:40 mark, same thing. That is pure Melodyne editing. Its not meant to sound robotic, but it does. The bridge has intentional effects, but those chorus lines sound like amateur editing.
That doesn't sound like melodyne editing at all to me. He just bends the note down, and he's precise about it (like Myles always is). Hell, I can sing that line and make it sound just the same.
All of his vocals are edited - like every single modern artist. He bent the note, and the software tried to fix it. It sounds robotic. They use the same effects/editing on the live records. Myles is my fav singer, but he has pitch issues - that’s undeniable.
*doubtful face*

I don't hear it a 0:40

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Myles doesn't have pitch issues. Like every singer he uses subtle pitch correction in the studio, but he he's the kind of singer that chooses pitch over tone nowadays, opposed to the ODR days.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Timotheus wrote: but he he's the kind of singer that chooses pitch over tone nowadays, opposed to the ODR days.
Yea, 'cause he can't pull off his old tone basically.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Crumbso wrote:
psycosquirrel789 wrote:
Jaded Rescue wrote:
psycosquirrel789 wrote:
Jaded Rescue wrote:
psycosquirrel789 wrote:Pretty boring and average song. The pitch correction is off and sounds unnatural on certain parts. Can't wrap my head around the Standing reference. 4/10 for me.
Where are you hearing pitch correction exactly? I figured they were recording to tape again like they have been.
Its blatant at the 40 sec mark when he sings "and remember the last time you know" and the 1:40 mark, same thing. That is pure Melodyne editing. Its not meant to sound robotic, but it does. The bridge has intentional effects, but those chorus lines sound like amateur editing.
That doesn't sound like melodyne editing at all to me. He just bends the note down, and he's precise about it (like Myles always is). Hell, I can sing that line and make it sound just the same.
All of his vocals are edited - like every single modern artist. He bent the note, and the software tried to fix it. It sounds robotic. They use the same effects/editing on the live records. Myles is my fav singer, but he has pitch issues - that’s undeniable.
*doubtful face*

I don't hear it a 0:40
I really don't either. I was joking a bit in my "This I can't deny" post, but I just hear Myles sliding from one note to another in a way that I do every day, singing in my car. And Myles definitely does not have pitch issues. He's had exhaustion issues in the past when the band is going 30bpm faster than he's supposed to sing the song, but he's got an amazing ear for pitch.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Mr. Slash wrote:
Timotheus wrote: but he he's the kind of singer that chooses pitch over tone nowadays, opposed to the ODR days.
Yea, 'cause he can't pull off his old tone basically.
I think he can, it's just that he chooses not to because it kills your voice. It's much harder to sing that way night after night.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

So I heard Driving Rain on the classic rock radio station (which is probably mainly due to Slash's reputation, especially in LA) in SoCal today (not only that, but the DJ talking also gave a shout-out to the album release date and the upcoming show in LA). Like I said, it's not a bad unlistenable track and I don't mind hearing it again. It's just that, I stated in the AB VI speculation thread that "Year of the Tiger" and "A Dying Machine" did a lot more for Myles and Mark as musicians than The Last Hero did. I just get this feeling the "Living the Dream" album will not do too much favors for Myles like The Last Hero did for him. That's just how I feel.

In fact, I will go on to say even a track like "Devil on The Wall" shows more of how much of a musician Myles is than Driving Rain, I feel. Yes, give me more banjo/country-playing Myles any day over the 80s hard rock/Aerosmith throwback.
Last edited by anguyen92 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I have no problem with the type of rock it is, just the quality of it. The last record music was better than this single

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

anguyen92 wrote:So I heard Dancing Rain on the classic rock radio station (which is probably mainly due to Slash's reputation, especially in LA) in SoCal today (not only that, but the DJ talking also gave a shout-out to the album release date and the upcoming show in LA). Like I said, it's not a bad unlistenable track and I don't mind hearing it again. It's just that, I stated in the AB VI speculation thread that "Year of the Tiger" and "A Dying Machine" did a lot more for Myles and Mark as musicians than The Last Hero did. I just get this feeling the "Living the Dream" album will not do too much favors for Myles like The Last Hero did for him. That's just how I feel.

In fact, I will go on to say even a track like "Devil on The Wall" shows more of how much of a musician Myles is than Dancing Rain, I feel. Yes, give me more banjo/country-playing Myles any day over the 80s hard rock/Aerosmith throwback.
Just like people who don't like Americana thought Year of the Tiger was an awful stylistic choice forum Myles.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

anguyen92 wrote:So I heard Dancing Rain on the classic rock radio station (which is probably mainly due to Slash's reputation, especially in LA) in SoCal today (not only that, but the DJ talking also gave a shout-out to the album release date and the upcoming show in LA). Like I said, it's not a bad unlistenable track and I don't mind hearing it again. It's just that, I stated in the AB VI speculation thread that "Year of the Tiger" and "A Dying Machine" did a lot more for Myles and Mark as musicians than The Last Hero did. I just get this feeling the "Living the Dream" album will not do too much favors for Myles like The Last Hero did for him. That's just how I feel.

In fact, I will go on to say even a track like "Devil on The Wall" shows more of how much of a musician Myles is than Dancing Rain, I feel. Yes, give me more banjo/country-playing Myles any day over the 80s hard rock/Aerosmith throwback.
*Ahem* Driving Rain * Ahem

I actually like it. The chorus is very singable and it sounds good turned up loud. Not sure what you guys expected from Slash but this is pretty much his bag.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Crumbso wrote: *Ahem* Driving Rain * Ahem
That's the point. This song is as forgettable as its name. :lol

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Eh. None of the Conspirators albums have been mind-blowing anyway. Slash's last great album was the R n' FR self-titled one.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Timotheus wrote:Just like people who don't like Americana thought Year of the Tiger was an awful stylistic choice forum Myles.
Those are probably the same people that think that AB is not creative enough or brave enough to do something where out of left field like what Myles did in Year of the Tiger.

welshsteve
Brand New Start

Post by welshsteve »

Decent song, I like it
Thanks

Steve

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

If you think Myles isn't using TONS AND TONS AND TONS of vocal effects and pitch correction on his records - you are jaded, and I hope you are rescued.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

:headscratch You're trolling right? Effects yeah, plenty, too many. I don't think pitch correction is required with MK though. It's really not that hard to sing on pitch in the studio. If I can do it then anyone can.