Myles Kennedy Solo Tour 2018

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: Myles Kennedy Solo Tour 2018

Post by Timotheus »

So my thoughts about the show two nights ago.

First of all, it was a great evening. It was amazing to hear The Mayfield Four songs. The Led Zeppelin cover was amazing too. I was bummed that he didn't play Levon, Don't Walk Away and Hallelujah, but you can't have everything.

For the rest, I was amazed how loud he played his guitars. What have those guitars done to him? It kinda took away from the intimate element of the evening I thought. My favorite moments of the night were the moments where he played the guitar delicately, like during the verses of Mars Hotel or Haunted By Design. Or the moments when he noodled around on his lap steel with that droning note in the background. Really cool.

Addicted to Pain was a bit of a surprise, but acoustically the lyrics become a bit more obvious, and not that those lyrics are bad, but they become a bit awkward in an acoustic setting.
World On Fire made me laugh at first. The rendition of that song was quite original with the lap steel.
I was so happy to hear Life Must Go On live, even though it was a bit of a messy version. Still was almost brought to tears during the beginning.
Ending on Rise Today was awful, by the way. Only real negative of the night.

Another kinda negative thing I noticed.. He's so obviously entertaining sometimes. Which works with Alter Bridge and Slash, but acoustically it's a bit fake. It weird when he's giggling during Haunted By Design, which is so dark, or does all kind of weird poses during harder songs. Just close your eyes and get lost in the performance.. It's so much more honest and real.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Box Of Frogz
Bought The CDs

Post by Box Of Frogz »

Went to the Birmingham show last night, awesome aside from a few sound issues. Cry Of Achilles was played acoustically and was something to behold!

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

He played Cry of Achilles? I didn't even think that was a possibility and he played it as the final song of the set? Interesting, even AB didn't do that (put Cry of Achilles as the final song of the show).

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Myles played Losing Patience tonight, interesting...

Edit: AND HOLY FUCK LOVE CAN ONLY HEAL.
Admittedly he needs to practice it a bit more :lol

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Where the heck are you finding footage of this? I'm not seeing anything on Youtube.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Through the Army of 12 and a specific user within the group. It was posted by Alter Bridge Germany.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ Yep, found the video of Losing Patience through Facebook (the user is Maggie Rock Wright, she provided a good amount of fan footage during AB's UK tour in 2016).

Huh, so according to Myles, this almost became the first single for The Last Hero? I think they went with the right idea to not go with it since that track was a production nightmare when it comes to the sound of it. This forum would not stand for it if they heard that as the first song for The Last Hero cycle. Myles performing it acoustically sounds really good though. Myles is pulling some pretty weird stuff out of the bag. Losing Patience, Cry of Achilles, he played the opening to Stevie Wonder's Superstition briefly. I like it. Keep going, man. Bring out more renditions of songs that no one expects to hear played acoustically.

Cradle to the Grave (it sorta fits the motif, I think) could be a possibility now in this tour, I think.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

Losing Patience is probably my least favourite song on the album.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

anguyen92 wrote:
Huh, so according to Myles, this almost became the first single for The Last Hero?
*Poison In Your Veins

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

I love these pro-shots. Kinda a shame that they don't make money with these videos. :D

MrsPog
Bought The CDs

Post by MrsPog »

I feel your frustration guys. I've been lucky enough to see AB perform three times now and saw Myles sing with Slash and The Conspirators. I would've loved to attend this tour. The fact it is small venues is great for us real fans but people profiteering off this should quite frankly be banned from selling tickets in this way. I've resisted buying tickets from 'tout' websites because if people don't use them they wouldn't exist. I've bought tickets for Iron Maiden's tour this summer; tickets are sent out close to the performance date, have the booker's name on and you have to take a form of ID on the night. Spot on! The regulation around ticket sales HAS to change, it's pricing fans out of gigs and who exactly wins here...? Not us, not the artist nor the venue. As Maiden, Ed Sheeran, Adele and others have proved - these websites can be thwarted. Ticketmaster's 'Get me in' site is the biggest joke ever, shouldn't be allowed. Fingers crossed there's another Myles tour later this year, as someone has hinted on this forum, and that fans aren't disappointed or inadvertently ripped off again. Hope to see you there!

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Timotheus wrote:Another kinda negative thing I noticed.. He's so obviously entertaining sometimes. Which works with Alter Bridge and Slash, but acoustically it's a bit fake. It weird when he's giggling during Haunted By Design, which is so dark, or does all kind of weird poses during harder songs. Just close your eyes and get lost in the performance.. It's so much more honest and real.
+1
IMHO, there'e way too much goofiness and too many giggles DURING songs.
I have no probem with someone being funny and nice to the audience BETWEEN songs, but when you're singing, you should not mess around that often IMHO.
For instance, I watched an Alter Bridge pro-shot concert in late 2016 (I think it may be the Rock in Rio one, but I'm not 100% sure), and Myles kept talk-singing and giggling all concert long.

That's one of the reasons Alter Bridge will never be a great live band IMHO. When you look at all the great rock and metal bands, they're always on point when they're performing on stage. They may miss a beat or forget a line from time to time (they're human after all), but with Alter Bridge, it's happening way too often.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Oh, so now people are stating that Myles is starting to become too goofy nowadays, when people saying, at a time, that he's too dull or too serious or robotic or whatever when singing live with either AB or Slash and that AB would never become a compelling live band that can headline festivals because they are too dull or serious for the atmosphere?

Oh, but now becoming too goofy and giggling on stage makes Myles not a great live musician as well? I see how it is.

At least, he's having a fun time on stage. I, for one, as a guy that's been looking at his sets and some of the videos out there during this tour, I'm enjoying what he's doing. He looks he's having a great time and the crowd seems like they are having a great time as well which makes me exciting for the LA show.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Just depends on the song. Giggle all you want during World On Fire or Traveling Riverside Blues, where the lyrics are supposed to be taken lightly and the focus is on the music. Or Rise Today where there's a lot of room for crowd interaction and most of the room only cares about the chorus anyway. But not during serious songs. Compare the way he sings when he does a radio show to the way he sings before a crowd. It's very different. He seems way more into the songs when he's not trying to entertain a crowd, and ironically I find that a lot more entertaining.

That obviously does not make him a bad live musician. I've been following the guy for over 10 years and it's just something I noticed last week. I've always said I preferred the way he acted on stage before 2010. Anybody who says he's dull or boring on stage has either seen a post-2010 performance (probably the Wembley DVD) or a Slash concert (where he has to live up to Axl and a bunch of other iconic performers).
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

This is amazing

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Yup, so good. Don't think I'll ever get bored of that song.
For all of the hope that it brings...

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Timotheus wrote:JBut not during serious songs. Compare the way he sings when he does a radio show to the way he sings before a crowd. It's very different. He seems way more into the songs when he's not trying to entertain a crowd, and ironically I find that a lot more entertaining.
+1
I, for one, LOVED his recent live renditions of Levon, Year of the Tiger, Haunted by Design (in the studio) and Don't Walk Away (in front of a crowd) where he was super focused.
If I want some laughs, I'll go see a comedian.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Timotheus wrote:Just close your eyes and get lost in the performance.. It's so much more honest and real.
I totally get where you're coming from, but to play devil's advocate somewhat, why would it be more "honest and real" for Myles to perform the way.. another person.. wants him to perform? Surely, him being in the moment and indulging in an occasional chuckle is more "honest and real" for him.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Dan Dando wrote:
Timotheus wrote:Just close your eyes and get lost in the performance.. It's so much more honest and real.
I totally get where you're coming from, but to play devil's advocate somewhat, why would it be more "honest and real" for Myles to perform the way.. another person.. wants him to perform? Surely, him being in the moment and indulging in an occasional chuckle is more "honest and real" for him.
That's a good point, and if that's how he wants to perform these songs, he should do it. I'm just another opinion on the internet.

But I think there's a difference between a performer and an entertainer, and where a performer would try to do the spirit of a song justice, Myles is sometimes more focused on entertaining the crowd. That's not even a bad thing per se, but it's a clear shift from a few years ago.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

From what I am seeing in the videos from this tour so far, it looks like Myles is having the time of his life in these shows. It's quite a different vibe compared to when he's playing in AB and Slash. There's a certain exuberance he's bringing in these solo shows that I have not yet seen from him yet and it's helping guys like me get excited for his upcoming shows.