Myles Kennedy Solo Tour 2018

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
MrsPog
Bought The CDs

Re: Myles Kennedy Solo Tour 2018

Post by MrsPog »

Kreuger wrote:Does anyone have details about the full band?
I've looked around online as I've got tickets to the Steelhouse Festival after missing out on the UK gigs in March, can't find anything about who '& Co' are... Quite exciting really!

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Kreuger wrote:Does anyone have details about the full band?
I’m assuming it’ll be the drummer for MF4, Tim Tournier, and maybe the rhythm guitarist from the Conspirators?

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Here's what I think of the possibility of whose going to be the backup band. This is based on a big wild massive guess on my end, but here goes.

I think there's a 50% chance that the backing band is Tim Tournier and Zia Uddin (the guys that played the bass/drums of the album)

40% that is may be the Conspirators (Brent, Todd, and Frank) since those guys can play anything and those guys probably need to regel with each other before touring with Slash again since by then it would be almost three years since the last Slash/Myles/Conspirators show

9% a line-up of guys that we actually do not know or did not expect

1% that it is Flip and Brian (since those guys do not have much to do during the AB off year, except for Brian being a realtor and running his own firm with his wife).

Anyway, I sure hope there's a US tour similar to this in August before Myles goes off with Slash and the Conspirators and who knows how long it would be before Myles tours solo again.

MrsPog
Bought The CDs

Post by MrsPog »

If it's any of AB or the Conspirators, I for one will be well chuffed. Loving the percentages by the way!

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

So, first show of the US leg starts tomorrow in Spokane. LA show is in 5 days and still I got questions to ask.

Ryan, if you read this, where are you parking for the Troubadour show? I'm thinking about parking at the West Hollywood Library and Public Parking lot. Don't know if that lot will be jammed packed on a Sunday afternoon/evening.

Also, I really want to avoid hearing Myles sound like he's on helium in between songs, this time. How would I go about it and hear him as clearly and pristine as possible (I got ear plugs, but I don't know if it will help that much)?

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Well, a couple of interesting stuff here.

One thing, I think Myles confirmed that he is bringing Tim Tournier and Zia Uddin for the full band part of the tour according to this phone interview for an Australian publisher below. He also states that he is looking into bringing in a guy that can do the lap-steel guitar and mandolin parts.

https://www.spreaker.com/user/heavy/myl ... sode_title

Also, he debuted Mother in the show in Spokane.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

anguyen92 wrote:So, first show of the US leg starts tomorrow in Spokane. LA show is in 5 days and still I got questions to ask.

Ryan, if you read this, where are you parking for the Troubadour show? I'm thinking about parking at the West Hollywood Library and Public Parking lot. Don't know if that lot will be jammed packed on a Sunday afternoon/evening.

Also, I really want to avoid hearing Myles sound like he's on helium in between songs, this time. How would I go about it and hear him as clearly and pristine as possible (I got ear plugs, but I don't know if it will help that much)?
I’m not sure where I’m gonna park. I haven’t been to the Troubadour in years. I was trying to remember where I parked last time, but can’t...lol. Looking at a map shows pretty much all of the lots are a block away or more. I don’t think there’s street parking. I’ll probably have my buddy drive :)

Ear plugs will certainly help with the helium sound. I sort of feel like that issue won’t likely arise this time since it’s just him and his acoustic.
Photobucket cash grab.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

Looks like there’s a parking structure across the street, I’ll likely park there.
Photobucket cash grab.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Really? What's the specific street address?

Edit: Found it. Now I have to hope that it won't be jammed packed if I get there around 5 or 6PM and I hope the rates are decent enough.

Ok, now I'm seeing a lot of lots around across the street. Which one will be the safest to park there for 5-6 hours?

All right, I am horrifyingly paranoid about this parking issue due to the fact that I'm going to West Hollywood alone, but is this area the parking lot from across the Troubadour that I keep reading?

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

Yeah that looks like the one. It was on their site so I’d assume it’s fine to park for 5-6 hours. I’ll be there between 2-3pm. Meet and greet is at 3pm.
Photobucket cash grab.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

All right, Ryan. Let me know how the parking is like when you get there, I'll probably be out on the road by then.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

That parking lot is torn down....trying to find somewhere else to park.
Photobucket cash grab.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Poor Kevin...
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Don't worry about me. I got there and found parking and got home in one piece without anything going horrifyingly wrong.

Anyway, I think this is it. I don't think any concert I go to in the future would be this enjoyable as seeing Myles in LA. More details in a super long lengthy post tomorrow.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

Where were you standing during the show? Just off to the right (stage left)? Did you have a collared shirt on? And do you wear glasses? If so I saw you! I was like 2-3 people to your left.
Photobucket cash grab.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Yeah, that was probably me. I was standing about in around the 5th row of people in the front, a little bit to the right side of the center of the floor. I don't think I would recognize you, mate, at the show. Sorry, man. I'm not good at recognizing people and I wouldn't want to blurt it out and get it wrong.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

No worries. I just figured it was you, but didn’t want to say anything either in case I was wrong lol. I should’ve just yelled Kevin really loud.
Photobucket cash grab.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Not, so many, are, you, listening, to me?

Post by gbruin »

Ryan wrote:I should’ve just yelled Kevin really loud.
I do that all the time, but it's usually related to excess commas.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

All right, story time by me now about my trip to LA and to see Myles at the Troubadour. This will be a really long post. You have been warned.

So as most people have probably read here, I was insanely paranoid about trying to find parking near the venue since this is the first time that I will be traveling to LA alone. I left around 2PM. Fill up for gas and ate at Taco Bell before taking the 5 to the 10 to go LA and a long one drive awaits. As expected, there was a lot of traffic on the way and I was hoping after I pass the 110 freeway, the traffic would clear up. It didn't and the drive took me about 75-90 minutes from the OC to LA. Fortunately, I had Year of the Tiger in my CD player and wanted to blast the album in full. The album still holds up great and I was sad after One Fine Day ended since I didn't want this album to be over.

Anyway, as Ryan stated, the parking lot from across the Troubadour was closed, but I had a backup plan in case that happened and parked in the public parking lot near the West Hollywood library and park. It was a good lot, found a spot at 4:00PM and parked there for about 6.5 hours and it cost me only $6.00 and it was about a 10-15 minute walk from the parking lot to the Troubadour. I don't mind paying for that, that's a big grab to get. That Santa Monica Blvd street looked pretty busy though. Lots of bars/restaurants, there's an ice cream parlor, a fancy Italian restaurant, a Starbucks, a Vons with a deli inside. Made me wish that I didn't go to Taco Bell before heading to the freeway, but I didn't know or did the research. Oh well.

When I go to the Troubadour, I noticed there was a line already and I thought, "Dang, people are lining up this early to get in the front to see Myles? This is going to be rough to get a good spot." Then I realized that it was the VIP line and after the VIP line went aside for the meet and greet, I was 8th in line for the GA. Not too bad and now I had to wait about two hours in line before they let us in at 6:30PM. The people around me looked really friendly and ready to have a good time. Plenty of AB fans, especially those wearing The Last Hero-based t-shirts. While I was waiting, there was a fire truck that was approaching the intersection and one guy rolled down the window and talked with the line while waiting for the light to go green. He wanted to know what time the show was and I gave him the set times and then he asked if Myles was going to play Starlight and everyone knew that it was going to be played. You know never know what kind of good people you meet that ends up actually knowing who Myles Kennedy is. It's a great feeling to have as oppose to the line I was at waiting for Slash/Myles/Conspirators back in 2014 where I don't think a lot of people there know anyone in the band as oppose to Slash.

Anyway, when security let us in, I made a quick dash to the floor and ended up being on the 5th row of people in the front. That was a great feeling to have since when I saw Slash and AB in 2014, I was seated in the nosebleeds of the theater. The feeling to see one of your favorite musician if not, the favorite, very close from the stage, it's a great feeling to have. The opening band, Thomas Wynn and The Believers, came out at 7:00PM and they played their set. It was mainly a brother-sister duet with the brother playing an acoustic guitar and it sounded very lovely. Fits well with the theme that Myles was going to have in his set. One thing that Thomas Wynn stated was that, "It's true. Myles has a great fanbase and that they were willing to be here early and they did not have to listen to the opening band, but here they are and that they are attentive to everything and showing good appreciation to everything." and I thought it was a great compliment about us as fans to hear. One note is that when you typically go a rock show, while everything is being set up and we're waiting, you usually hear the classic rock songs. Here, it was actually live tracks of old blusey/country acoustic-based music.

8:00PM had arrived and everyone was ready to see Myles and off we go with his usual opener, Devil on the Wall and then he went with songs that he typically would play in the opening parts of the show for Slash and AB, Standing in the Sun and Addicted to Pain. He did play the first of the three Mayfield Four tracks from Second Skin, Mars Hotel. He then talked about the story that led to creating Starlight before playing Starlight. All of them sounding fantastic and the crowd was loving everything. Myles was also really really chatty throughout the show and pretty much playing off the crowd in ways that he would not do in an AB or Slash show. Thankfully, I did not hear Myles speak like he was on too much helium too much. There was some lingering effects of that, but that could very well be how his pitch is that could affect the frequencies of the mic or whatnot, but nothing really too bad. Anyway, after Starlight ended, he talked about a certain lyric word in Starlight that his wife, who was in the balcony, stated to him on how Starlight should shine, and then he questioned about what would be the songwriting royalty of one word, "A rub and a nice dinner?" Myles, then, brought out Tim Tournier for Haunted By Design and then he brought at the Resonator and played some cool things before playing Led Zeppelin's Going to California and Blind Faith and he was playing the hell out of that Resonator.

The one song from Year of the Tiger that I really wanted him to play was either Mother or Songbird and LA got Songbird and it sounded great, although he did state that there was a certain guitar part that's a bit tricky to play. He didn't think that it would be a great song to play live, but he was glad that he was proven wrong when the crowd was singing along to it. Eden was next, but before that, someone wanted to hear Summergirl. Heck, I know that we are all thinking we want him to play that right then and now, but Myles said, eventually, he'll play it. One day. The person responded that he said that 10 years ago and Myles said that 10 years ago he wanted to release a solo album and look where we are right now. One more note, after Eden was done, someone wanted to know the tuning of it and Myles was saying stuff that he said goes back from when he was a guitar teacher and he noticed a guy that was wearing face paint that states "Myles Kennedy" and that guy had that look of confusion and Myles pointed that out in good jest and praised the face paint guy for putting that dedication to paint his face for this show.

At that point, 10 songs in, I was hoping to hear another AB track at this point and Myles talked about how the record label wanted the following song to be the first single for The Last Hero and AB decided they wanted Show me A Leader instead and then eventually they never played the song live (which is fine, because if we heard this song as the first single, we would have an aneurysm about the horrible production). He played Losing Patience and while the performance was good, I got that feeling that it had the lowest reception of the show from the crowd. I would have gladly loved to hear You Will Be Remembered or My Champion (surprisingly, he hasn't played it yet on this tour, only time he did it was during the benefit show in Spokane) if he was going to be playing a track from The Last Hero.

He then played White Flag, All Ends Well, and the Wonderful Life/Watch Over You medley and I had tears of joy in my eyes and of course, Watch Over You had the biggest reception of the show from the crowd. You hear those tracks in back-to-back and you think, man, this is the greatest feeling ever to have to hear these great songs. That stated, we need something more upbeat and he brought out the cover of Traveling Riverside Blues and then played World on Fire and the crowd was really into World on Fire and thus ended the main set.

The encore was then Love Can Only Heal which sounds fantastic and closed the show with Year of the Tiger. I was quite surprised that he did not close it with either Open Your Eyes or Rise Today which makes this set one of the more better sets in composition that he's created. Six songs from Year of the Tiger, four AB songs, three songs from Mayfield Four and three songs from Slash and two covers. That's the sort of balance that I would hope he would favor, but I didn't think he would do that, so I'm pleased with how all of this goes.

Afterwards, it was time for the ride home and quite frankly throughout the 45 minute drive, I was scared and filled with adrenaline and anxiety and had a phone that was at 1% battery life for 5 hours and thankfully, I got home in one piece without anything going horribly wrong.

All in all, I had a fantastic time. I think this is the peak of concert going for me. I don't think that I would ever enjoy a concert in the future that would be this enjoyable as seeing Myles yesterday. That kinda saddens me, but that speaks greatly on how tremendous seeing Myles is. I know it can be hard given the limited dates and the fact that tickets are pretty much gone on the first day of the general sale (either the fans get them fast or the resellers get their grubby greedy paws on them and charge the price through the roof), but if he does announce another solo tour in the future, I would suggest going if he's within driving distance. That stated, I don't know when he will do something like this again, with Slash starting to heat up again with Conspirators and upcoming album and a potential AB VI down the line, but I hope it won't be a long wait. These shows are fun to watch and this is the most Myles has been engaged with the crowds and talking up a storm, telling stories and jokes.

The overall set.

Devil on the Wall
Standing in the Sun
Mars Hotel
Addicted to Pain
Starlight
Haunted By Design
Going to California (Led Zeppelin cover)
Blind Faith
Songbird
Eden
Losing Patience
White Flag
All Ends Well
Wonderful Life/Watch Over You medley
Traveling Riverside Blues (Robert Johnson cover)
World on Fire

Love Can Only Heal
Year of the Tiger