Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
chtimixeur
On The Rail

Re: Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Post by chtimixeur »

Yes indeed.
I haven't heard the original song, but he totally made it his own.
This makes me hope he'll release an acoustic album with covers of his favourite songs someday.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Year of the Tiger charted in the top 10 in New Zealand and Scotland and in the top 15 in Germany and the UK. The chart positions in Belgium are rather disappointing, not that I'm blaming anyone from this forum, but still... :shifty
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_of_t ... edy_album)

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

My merch finally showed up today :peace :rockon :cloud9 :mkrules :dance

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Mr. Slash wrote:The chart positions in Belgium are rather disappointing, not that I'm blaming anyone from this forum, but still... :shifty
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_of_t ... edy_album)
:shifty
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Apparently, this charted at #63 at Billboard 200. Yep. I know I'm not expecting this to sell around 30k+ copies in the first week in the states like an AB album or a Slash album, but still, I was hoping for a little more respectability, like Tremonti numbers (around 10k-15k or so).

welshsteve
Brand New Start

Post by welshsteve »

Well my CD finally showed up. UK Customs slapped over £12 customs charge on it too. What a flipping disgrace. When I've ordered from other bands' stores, the items get sent to an european hub first before being posted to me, meaning I don;t have to pay these import charges. Happy I got the album, but not happy I've had to pay almost the same cost again on top just to get it off the postal service. First and last time I order from Myles' store.

Great album though. I love it
Thanks

Steve

hackingislife
TABN.com Citizen

Post by hackingislife »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6nWHvtkJKg

I've waited for this for so long! :cloud9

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

hackingislife wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6nWHvtkJKg

Oh thank god. Losing Patience was such a horribly butchered song by the way it was produced, but I always liked the lyrics and thought it could have otherwise been a good song. Such sweet redemption for this song!

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Losing Patience might be the most boring song AB ever wrote. Sadly Myles' arrangement doesn't really change my opinion.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

hackingislife wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6nWHvtkJKg

I never listen to the AB version but this is much more compelling.

Thomz87
Bought The CDs

Post by Thomz87 »

In the Swiss Album Charts, The Year Of The Tiger made it to Nr. 12!!! :)

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

The final total for 1st week album sales in the US for Year of the Tiger. 9,000. I wonder in this growing age of streaming if Slash and AB are still be able to sell around 30k copies of their albums in the first week?

http://www.metalinsider.net/columns/met ... -debut-yet

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

I have heard this album a lot now. I love it. That being said, I want to go the opposite way for a moment and speak on what annoys me in this album, because I do have annoyances. Not nitpicks, but actual things that I sit there and say: "Ugh, they really need to address this."

Year of the Tiger: How often he says "In the Year of the Tiger" in the song. There are other songs that say the same thing over and over, but because it's the name of the song, album, it's such a distinct saying and he really has a weird emphasis on "TYYYGAHA." It becomes tough to handle, where I just end up really only hearing those words, because I'm sitting wondering when to anticipate them next. Then he of course ends the song saying it like four times. It just makes me not like the song. I wish he found other lyrics after saying it the very first time, like something that would rhyme: "That I do most admire..." "I am utmost inspired..." "What will leave me to tire..." "And what brings me great ire..." "My own god damn desire..." "Never call me a liar..." "Just a broke man for hire..." "When a man does perspire..." "As I play on my Squier..." "Just like crows on a wire..." a lot of joke ones in there but you get what I mean. Hell, it doesn't even have to rhyme at all!

The Great Beyond: I said before that it's a pretty good song. I do not like how it doesn't match the rest of the album though, and thought this would be great for Alter Bridge. The main riff also does not sound good in a crappy system with bass. If you are listening on a laptop or something then you're good because it won't boast LFE's, but unless you're listening on a great sound system, it sounds pretty bad. Song kicks a lot of ass otherwise. It actually annoys me that this isn't an AB track, though.

Blind Faith: The slide guitar is far too overriding in the main riff. If it didn't sound so loud, I would be able to tolerate it much more. It shows up like: "Look, I'm here! I'm here too! Pay attention to me!" It kind of has a grating sound to it, maybe because there really aren't any low strings hitting the forefront with it. Maybe if the audio quality was stripped to what Songbird is like (see below), it wouldn't be as obtrusive.

Turning Stones: THAT BREATHING THING. Remove that and it is fantastic.

Nothing but a Name: It's either because I have the BB exclusive disc with the bonus NBAN acoustic demo so I hear the song twice, or maybe because of the backing vocals in the chorus, but this song's chorus ultimately exhausts me by the end of the song. If maybe they progressively grew the chorus to ultimately sound like the way it sounds every time, but before that it is maybe in a lower octave, then the next time it adds backing vocals (or if he harmonized at a lower key), I wouldn't "get exhausted" with its chorus as fast. Because it's a really good song otherwise.

Songbird: Somebody said it sounded just like Mother, and based on the opening riff I would be inclined to agree. However, the vocals are of course much different. But there is a way to differentiate the two songs between each other: Songbird strips away all of the HFE and it leads to what sounds like crappy audio quality. This is unfortunate, because this song could be so much more if it had the same audio fidelity as Mother. I almost feel like they intentionally did this to make them not sound the same, and that's just a crying shame. It's the worst quality song on the album, but is one of the best songs on the album... and it doesn't deserve that.

As a side note, the first time I heard the main riff Ghost of Shangri La, I didn't know the name of the song or reach the chorus yet, and it took on a far different sound compared to that of what I hear now. Now I hear what I'd like to call "Himalayan twang." I still love the song, but I liked it most when I heard it the first time and didn't think: "That's what I would expect to hear if I was at Shangri-La." LOL hard to explain. It's not an annoyance, but it's funny how perception of a sound changes with a different pretense to the song itself.

Note that these are not reviews of these songs. I have far too many good things to say about the album otherwise. I just wanted to know if anybody else feels the same way on this things as I do when it comes to actual annoyances in these songs.
Last edited by MuffinMcFluffin on Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

PROSHOT!!!!!!!!!

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

I'm so glad they didn't have him talk over this one and that the crowd can only be heard in the song along section.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Mr. Slash wrote:Losing Patience might be the most boring song AB ever wrote. Sadly Myles' arrangement doesn't really change my opinion.
Agreed. TLH is a very mediocre album (by AB's standards), and Losing Patience and Writing on the Wall were my two least favorite songs on the album.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Nothing But A Name is my favorite thing Myles has written since Lover and the rare song benefitted by Baskette. Great arrangement and the chorus is huge and unforgettable.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

I really hope he's going to do it live soon. And that someone gets a good quality video of it.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

I honestly dont know if he could make it through performing that song live, at least not just yet. maybe with a full band, but still, you know that verse is gonna be so hard for him to sing.
Thanks Timo!

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

What exactly did Myles imply with his story about "Sick and Wrong"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67kZ4_Ko1OE