Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Post by WaywardOne »

The musical equivalent of Half-Life 3 finally exists :)

Tigra
Isolated

Post by Tigra »

10 minutes later = 255 views more :D

edit:
+ 5 mins = +300 views.

I hope his audience will not be limited to fans of AB/Slash* only and that he will get more widespread public attention.

*deducting of course the ones who won't like it

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Silvercreed »

Ah finally a song from Myles. It's going be a long wait to hear the rest of the songs.

Cool song. Love the blues vibe.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I really like the song, and the video. It took me a few listens to get used to the vibe, but I love the way it keeps building. I love the bass fills, and the drums are really cool too.

The snare part at the end wasn't necessary though, I think. It releases some tension, but it ends too soon so it loses its effect.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

sad song

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I really like it. Has a cool arrangement and you can hear the bass and details of the drums really shining through (but I was listening on my stereo with a subwoofer lol). I appreciate that it's so different from the music he makes with Alter Bridge and Slash. A lot of solo artists release albums that end up sounding a lot like the bands they're already in. This is a side of Myles we haven't seen very much before.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Was there some kind of vocal editing? Myles voice sounds kinda auto tuned at some points.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Mr. Slash wrote:Was there some kind of vocal editing? Myles voice sounds kinda auto tuned at some points.
Can vocals be autotuned if they were recorded to tape?

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

anguyen92 wrote:
Mr. Slash wrote:Was there some kind of vocal editing? Myles voice sounds kinda auto tuned at some points.
Can vocals be autotuned if they were recorded to tape?
Not unless they were transferred to a computer in some way during the mixing process (computer in the vaguest sense of the word: a computer, a pedal, anything with a microchip where the signal needs to be transformed from analog to digital) which would totally negate the point of recording to tape in the first place anyway. I think we're just hearing Myles' sheer talent which is, as always, mind-blowing. :yes

youknowverywell
White Knuckled

Post by youknowverywell »

I feel like Myles would be very anti-autotune and would redo a take over and over as many times as it took to get it perfect. But I could be wrong

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Sounds like his live voice to me, very little done to it other than the occasional harmony. Took a bit of getting used to with it so clear in the mix!
For all of the hope that it brings...

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

That doesn't sound auto-tuned at all. The vocal tracking seems to be very much untouched in general. Not even any reverb or delay, let alone autotune.

I like it a lot. The double-bass is a nice touch. It sounds very much like an intro to a great album. Nice natural sound to it and some lovely instrumentation.

Box Of Frogz
Bought The CDs

Post by Box Of Frogz »

Loved it. This album is going to be bliss.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

I love this song; hard to predict this song being as upbeat as it is given the subject matter. I especially like the higher-up guitar part throughout the song.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I dig the vibe, but lawd the lyrics are repetitive almost to the point of sheer redundancy.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Andy92 wrote:I really like it. Has a cool arrangement and you can hear the bass and details of the drums really shining through (but I was listening on my stereo with a subwoofer lol). I appreciate that it's so different from the music he makes with Alter Bridge and Slash. A lot of solo artists release albums that end up sounding a lot like the bands they're already in. This is a side of Myles we haven't seen very much before.
The funny thing about that, Andy, is that for Mark, the Tremonti solo band has a fair amount of songs where you can say, "This can be an AB song or a Creed song, albeit a lot of faster and heavier." How can he not go fall into that trap since he's a main/primary songwriter for both bands? Incorporate death growls and unclean vocals and go full thrash, no hard rock?

Anyway, as Year of the Tiger, I like it a lot. I do think this is a good start for the solo album. Vastly different than what he's done with AB and Slash (which is where he needs to go towards to stand out and not have it sound like an AB-copy or a Slash/Myles/Conspirators copy).

It's the opening song of the album and sounds to me it's basically mapping out what happened to him and his family in 1974 and the following songs would go more in detail. That this is a story about a very personal and potent part of his life and going more "worldy-sounding" with the music and acoustic guitars and the likes seems very fitting to that personal story. I can't wait to hear more of it.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Pretty cool track, I don't think I've heard such an energetic yet eerie song before. Feels pretty unique.

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

Yes. *hits replay again and again* :mkrules
Alterations: Dec 2010, May 2011, August 2011x2, Sept 2011, Oct 2014x2

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

Reminds me a little of Chris Cornell's Nearly Forgot My Broken Heart and since I can't have any more songs like that, that's a very good thing.

And as mentioned above, yay for hearing the Myles vocals so clearly for a change.

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

Nicklord wrote:
Tigra wrote:Referring to this (as it has already been confirmed to be true):
austinjhnsn wrote:year of the tiger... 1974. According to wiki Myles lost his father when he was four which would line up to be 1974. I think this is the solo album according to the interview where he talked about the subject matter having a bit to do with that.
At that time Myles was 4-5 years old. I remember barely anything from the time when I was a toddler although I didn’t experience such a trauma as death of father – maybe it’s a horse of a different color then. But still it’s puzzling to me how uneasy he must have felt about it for all those years that he decided (had a need? an urge?) to cover this particular topic.
I'd imagine losing your father follows you for quite some time. I don't think it's only about that period when he was 4-5, it's probably stories from whole childhood
Maybe I grew up fast but by the time I was in school I was paying attention to a lot of serious stuff in life. There were several deaths and splits in my family when I was 5-6 years old, and that's when I started to understand death. I have only flashes of memories from that original time (e.g., of funerals, grandparent on their deathbed, screaming phone calls, domestic violence) whose details I wouldn't trust, but the repercussions of that year are still playing out decades later. And I'm sure a therapist would tell me I haven't come anywhere near to processing it.