Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Post by Ubik »

Anyone got any individual moments that they especially love?

I'll kick off with that bit at the beginning of Mother, where Myles does the little vocalisation over the chord progression. It's dreamy.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I love the really excited backing vocals right before the second verse in Turning Stones, lol.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

I hope no one noticed the k I just deleted :shifty

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Ubik wrote:Anyone got any individual moments that they especially love?

I'll kick off with that bit at the beginning of Mother, where Myles does the little vocalisation over the chord progression. It's dreamy.
- The high note buried in the mix under the solo in Love Can Only Heal @4:40-4:43
- The solo in Love Can Only Heal :cloud9
- The extended hhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaal in Love Can Only Heal :cloud9
- Myles' vocal tone from about 3:45-3:52 in The Great Beyond :cloud9
- The way Myles belts out THE GREAT BEYOND, wish there was more belting moments on this record done as tastefully as this one :/
- Myles' vocals in Shangri-La from 2:21-2:41 :cloud9
- The way Myles says "Goddamn, I miss you now" around 2:00 In Nothing But A Name. So heartbreaking and emotional.
Last edited by SHEAKENBAKEN on Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

"Your conviction, your belief, How could you choose that over me? Goddamn, I miss you now"

Wow.

Love the chorus melody in Songbird.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

gbruin wrote:"Your conviction, your belief, How could you choose that over me? Goddamn, I miss you now"
These might be the best lyrics on the entire record.

I like the snare/acoustic guitar interaction in the transition moment right after the second chorus in Songbird. Also that break between the last two choruses with the lap steel in the back adding to the tension is super cool as well.
In the first passage of the bridge of The Great Beyond, I love how low Myles vocals are. Usually at a climax he'd go high, but he chose to go low here, and it's really intense.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Also really love that steady drum beat and riff that transitions the acoustic only chorus to the electric chorus/outro on LCOH (~3:40). Yeah, Zia!
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

olof79
Rise Today

Post by olof79 »

Mother and Songbird almost sounds like the same song.. I am sure I will get into them. A bit samey at times though.

Really like the lick in Nothing But A Name verse. (thought about Marks in In Loving Memory there)
Really like the mandolin? added in the outro as well.
There its a lot of little different things/details I like in that song. His guitar voice mimicking at the start of second verse.. magic. And the guitar pedal work/volume or something. (used on a couple of other places on the album, Lap Steel? )

Myles second added vocal layer in Love Can Only Heal second chorus/pre-chorus, its soo fucking filled with emotion.. and the calm breakdown is soothing as well.. almost Blackbird bridge tear inducing.

The One Fine Day bridge guitar lick/solo is.. cosmic.

And I get a Hard Sun/Into the Wild feeling at the start of Year Of a tiger... Eddie Vedders song is better though.

And they should sell The Great Beyond to a (modern) Western movie.. would fit perfectly. Or maybe to Westworld :D
Spaghetti Western screaming guitar sounds!

And Blind Faiths acoustic (Dean) bridge.. almost sounds AB-ish only without the Marks clean E guitar. And the little guitar descent lick in the outro.

Shangri Las.. guitar solo/vocal playfulness is nice.

Turning Stones sounds like John Farnhams You're the Voice a little... thats a great song though.. this doesnt really go anywhere. I am left feeling unreleased. :P

You hear a lot of Slash sounds scattered throughout the album as well.. not surprising when you spend so much time beside him listening to Slash over the last decade now almost.

phatnonphatness
Loyal Follower

Post by phatnonphatness »

Digging this album more and more. It's a bit hit or miss, and in all honesty I didn't think a Myles acoustic album would sound quite like this. I guess I was expecting more of a stripped-down Mayfield Four sound. But there are some really great tracks and it definitely grows on you a lot. Favourite tracks so far:

Blind Faith
Ghost of Shangri La
Turning Stones
Mother
Nothing But A Name
Songbird (can't decide whether this or below is my favourite track)
One Fine Day

The only songs I'm not really in to are The Great Beyond and Devil On The Wall so overall quite a good album! Finishes really strong.

Is anyone else also getting a Tremonti vibe on some of these tracks?

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

My personal top 5:

Love Can Only Heal
The Great Beyond
Nothing but a Name
Blind Faith
Mother

I’m really digging this album. Not quite what I was expecting for a lot of the tracks, but damn good. The pure emotion, in the music and in the lyrics, is enough to hook me. The way Myles makes the guitar cry in Love Can Only Heal is exactly the moment I wanted on this record.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

To me, Love Can Only Heal is gonna be Blackbird in the sense that it's immensely over rated among AB fans. Definitely the weakest track for me. Aside from the original 4 released, The Great Beyond, Nothing But A Name, and Songbird really stood out for me.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

Troops4Tremonti
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Troops4Tremonti »

"Your conviction, your belief - How could you choose that over me?"
The former deals with the eternal Maker and the later deals with a temporary carnal entity. There is the answer to your question. It sounds insensitive, and I don't personally agree with his dad's beliefs. But, his father did what he thought was pleasing to God. It's extremely sad that, to me, his father was misled in his beliefs but a person of true faith will put that before everything every time because it is an eternal faith. There is a God, but I have yet to find substantial evidence that suggests neglecting medical care wins favor with God. In that sense, I'm sure everyone has their own definition of the word "substantial", but I digress.

P.S. It's my understanding that Myles' father had an illness and refused medical care because of religious beliefs and he ended up passing away because of this refusal. If that is not correct, please let me know.

hamptonfive
Brand New Start

Post by hamptonfive »

Troops4Tremonti wrote:
"Your conviction, your belief - How could you choose that over me?"
The former deals with the eternal Maker and the later deals with a temporary carnal entity. There is the answer to your question. It sounds insensitive, and I don't personally agree with his dad's beliefs. But, his father did what he thought was pleasing to God. It's extremely sad that, to me, his father was misled in his beliefs but a person of true faith will put that before everything every time because it is an eternal faith. There is a God, but I have yet to find substantial evidence that suggests neglecting medical care wins favor with God. In that sense, I'm sure everyone has their own definition of the word "substantial", but I digress.

P.S. It's my understanding that Myles' father had an illness and refused medical care because of religious beliefs and he ended up passing away because of this refusal. If that is not correct, please let me know.
that is correct, he had appendicitis.

hamptonfive
Brand New Start

Post by hamptonfive »

hamptonfive wrote:
Kreuger wrote:Haunted is the best all around.
until you hear The Great Beyond and Nothing But A Name:)
so guys, was i right about this?

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Is it just me or does Myles voice sound better on this album than it did on The Last Hero? I still love TLH but he came off sort of nasally in chunks of that record but he sounds much smoother here. His voice is like butter in Love Can Only Heal.

hgwy407
Brand New Start

Post by hgwy407 »

Kreuger wrote:To me, Love Can Only Heal is gonna be Blackbird in the sense that it's immensely over rated among AB fans. Definitely the weakest track for me. Aside from the original 4 released, The Great Beyond, Nothing But A Name, and Songbird really stood out for me.
I guess to each his own as to me, Love Can Only Heal is the standout song on this standout album.....

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

Arctic wrote:Is it just me or does Myles voice sound better on this album than it did on The Last Hero? I still love TLH but he came off sort of nasally in chunks of that record but he sounds much smoother here. His voice is like butter in Love Can Only Heal.
Imo he hasn’t sounded THIS good before. Not even on Fortress.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

There are a few moments on this records where he is a bit too nasal/sharp for my taste. The chorus of Songbird comes to mind. But overal his voice sounds fantastic.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

hamptonfive wrote: so guys, was i right about this?
Yeah dude partially. Those songs are standouts for me. Haunted still beats them a bit though.
Scott Stapp:

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

Took a couple days to really digest the record. At first, I was a little iffy on it. Though I will say YOTT, Haunted by Design and Devil On The Wall are the weaker songs on the album so kinda glad those got released first. But now that I've listened to it more times, my top 5 in order are...

Love Can Only Heal
The Great Beyond
Ghost of Shangri La
One Fine Day
Turning Stones

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

Has anyone caught any of his usual motifs in the lyrics? Stuff about forevermore and conceding things. I haven't read through the lyrics booklet yet.

I noticed he used the line "whisper to a scream" twice. And on back to back songs, which really takes away the power of it.
Scott Stapp: