Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Post by WaywardOne »

antiwal wrote:Gee, not been on here for a while and sad to see there's a lot of disdain for Myles' new tunes. His album is shaping up exactly how I expected it - a more singer/songwriter vibe and I like it. There's no harm in hearing a softer side for a change, the 3 songs I've heard are well crafted, written played and sung. Its a nice departure. I think this will accompany Mark's Dying Machine very nicely!
:yeahthat

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

antiwal wrote:Gee, not been on here for a while and sad to see there's a lot of disdain for Myles' new tunes. His album is shaping up exactly how I expected it - a more singer/songwriter vibe and I like it. There's no harm in hearing a softer side for a change, the 3 songs I've heard are well crafted, written played and sung. Its a nice departure. I think this will accompany Mark's Dying Machine very nicely!
Well put. The softer solo record meets the heavy metal solo record. 20 or so new songs from my favorite musicians. Gonna be a kick ass year.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

I don't mind softer by any means but I agree with the sentiment of expecting a more acousticy, one-man-and-his-guitar type of album. Even when I heard there would be bluesey vibes I was still expecting more minimalist approach. Maybe that's my fault for misinterpreting or not paying close enough attention to previous interviews but after this Devil track, I don't think this album is for me. Nothing I've heard has really resonated with me over time like some of his past work has. Sounds like a good bunch of you are getting something out of it though so hopefully this will be a success for Myles and he will continue to do more solo work.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Damn you Myles. Your transition into using "blue jeans" in every song instead of "forevermore" is going to be difficult to watch.

hamptonfive
Brand New Start

Post by hamptonfive »

Myles has recently done “Devil on the Wall” acoustically and i’m being honest when i say it sounds decent, he sings it perfectly but it also sounds like something big is missing musically, like it just might be one of those songs where he needs someone else to help fill things out.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

The acoustic version is missing the bass guitar. That bass line is like half of the song.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

hamptonfive
Brand New Start

Post by hamptonfive »

that’s exactly it. Tim will be with him, hopefully he joins in for that song. so far, “Haunted By Design” is my favorite acoustically.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

Haunted is the best all around.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

hamptonfive
Brand New Start

Post by hamptonfive »

Kreuger wrote:Haunted is the best all around.
until you hear The Great Beyond and Nothing But A Name:)

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

@MylesKennedy
5m5 minutes ago
More
In another life,
In another place,
Maybe you'd have found what bring some to believe..

On a different road,
In a perfect space,
Maybe all the hurt you've known would fail to be..

#loveCanOnlyHeal
Me want.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Hype!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

buncer
Brand New Start

Post by buncer »

I don't think he will release another single from the album. And the song is one of the favorites among the people who had the privilege of listening to the previews, so I doubt it even more. (God I wanted to hear them!)
Can you deny the denial? I didn't think so...

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

hamptonfive wrote:
Kreuger wrote:Haunted is the best all around.
until you hear The Great Beyond and Nothing But A Name:)
How have you heard more of the album?
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

The main thing that has slightly disappointed me is that it's not quite as stripped back or authentic a blues/jazz sound as I was expecting. I was hoping for a roomy, warm and natural sound with less in the way of overdubs or studio meddling. Perhaps I was hoping for some slower and more mournful stuff. We know for sure Myles can do that and I feel, if anything, this is too conservative of a change from his normal writings. The structures and vocal melodies and tones are still sounding very familiar to me. I'm not sure what I was expecting but, unfortunately for me, this isn't it.

buncer
Brand New Start

Post by buncer »

Crumbso wrote:The main thing that has slightly disappointed me is that it's not quite as stripped back or authentic a blues/jazz sound as I was expecting. I was hoping for a roomy, warm and natural sound with less in the way of overdubs or studio meddling. Perhaps I was hoping for some slower and more mournful stuff. We know for sure Myles can do that and I feel, if anything, this is too conservative of a change from his normal writings. The structures and vocal melodies and tones are still sounding very familiar to me. I'm not sure what I was expecting but, unfortunately for me, this isn't it.
I agree. I, as most of us here, expected a the Mayfield Four vibe in his vocals. He may have forgotten how to sing like that as he is smart enough to know that that kind of singing is much more suitable to the style he employed here, although it is more of an americana. Still, I count on his ability to create perfect melodies, which I enjoy regardless of how he sings or the way the songs were produced.
Can you deny the denial? I didn't think so...

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Crumbso wrote:The main thing that has slightly disappointed me is that it's not quite as stripped back or authentic a blues/jazz sound as I was expecting. I was hoping for a roomy, warm and natural sound with less in the way of overdubs or studio meddling. Perhaps I was hoping for some slower and more mournful stuff. We know for sure Myles can do that and I feel, if anything, this is too conservative of a change from his normal writings. The structures and vocal melodies and tones are still sounding very familiar to me. I'm not sure what I was expecting but, unfortunately for me, this isn't it.
This. The tone of the recordings is still too harsh to me. It's only "stripped back" in terms of instrumentation. The mixing, however, still sounds a bit harsh on the ears, especially considering the way Myles is singing and the overdubs.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Yea, I'm not too big on the mix and production either. I thought Haunted By Design was done rather tastefully but on Devil you have an electric guitar left, and electric guitar right, and it's all just very loud. Year of the Tiger also doesn't sound very pleasant to listen to either.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

I actually, for once! Like the mix and the sound of the 3 songs. I think it sounds great and very clear to my ears. Not overproduced nor underproduced If i may say. For once because I only liked Fortress production among all alter bridge’s records. World on fire sounded killer too though. But all the other albums I didn’t really dig the mix and sound

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Timotheus wrote:Yea, I'm not too big on the mix and production either. I thought Haunted By Design was done rather tastefully but on Devil you have an electric guitar left, and electric guitar right, and it's all just very loud. Year of the Tiger also doesn't sound very pleasant to listen to either.
Haunted By Design sounds nice because it has some mids present. Elvis' productions as of late have sorely lacked in that area, and with that comes a lack of warmth as well as a beating on the ears from the treble. It's painful.

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

I saw someone on twitter saying that the album is available in various shops in Paris, France.