Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
User avatar
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle
Posts: 15904
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:52 am
Location: Belgium シ

Re: Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Postby Timotheus » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:10 pm



Stunning video.
Image

nagpo
On The Rail
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:11 pm

Re: Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Postby nagpo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:38 pm

this is going to be a kick ass album. Love these two songs

User avatar
WaywardOne
White Knuckled
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:27 pm
Location: Yorkorado

Re: Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Postby WaywardOne » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:37 pm

Wow, this song has such a nice, soft touch to it. I like it.

User avatar
Mr. Slash
On The Rail
Posts: 1015
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:40 am
Location: Germany

Re: Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Postby Mr. Slash » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:24 pm

Amazing song, I definitely prefer it over the first one. Especially that solo was so neat.

Now I gotta figure out what "haunted by design" means. :D

User avatar
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle
Posts: 15904
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:52 am
Location: Belgium シ

Re: Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Postby Timotheus » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:43 pm

Mr. Slash wrote:Amazing song, I definitely prefer it over the first one. Especially that solo was so neat.

Now I gotta figure out what "haunted by design" means. :D

Haunted by design could mean a lot of things here, but in the video you can see an actual portrayal of death following this person around, so I'd say the concept of death has haunted Myles around his entire life, based on this thing that happened in his childhood with his father. He was designed as a child to be haunted by this for the rest of his life.
Image

User avatar
hamptonfive
Brand New Start
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:20 pm

Re: Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Postby hamptonfive » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:59 pm

Timotheus wrote:
Mr. Slash wrote:Amazing song, I definitely prefer it over the first one. Especially that solo was so neat.

Now I gotta figure out what "haunted by design" means. :D

Haunted by design could mean a lot of things here, but in the video you can see an actual portrayal of death following this person around, so I'd say the concept of death has haunted Myles around his entire life, based on this thing that happened in his childhood with his father. He was designed as a child to be haunted by this for the rest of his life.

i thought the same thing.. but also because he mentioned both of his grandmothers passed away because they also wouldn’t see doctors. so the pattern of how important people in his life passed away is similar. i figured that could part of it as well.

User avatar
Ubik
Bachelor Daddy
Posts: 3341
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:12 pm

Re: Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Postby Ubik » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:30 pm

I think both of those readings are great.

I might just be projecting myself into it but a lot of it screams "anxiety" to me, and when you suffer from that it feels like it's something built in that you can't escape from.
The promise of what life should be

User avatar
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle
Posts: 15904
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:52 am
Location: Belgium シ

Re: Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Postby Timotheus » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:04 am

hamptonfive wrote:
Timotheus wrote:
Mr. Slash wrote:Amazing song, I definitely prefer it over the first one. Especially that solo was so neat.

Now I gotta figure out what "haunted by design" means. :D

Haunted by design could mean a lot of things here, but in the video you can see an actual portrayal of death following this person around, so I'd say the concept of death has haunted Myles around his entire life, based on this thing that happened in his childhood with his father. He was designed as a child to be haunted by this for the rest of his life.

i thought the same thing.. but also because he mentioned both of his grandmothers passed away because they also wouldn’t see doctors. so the pattern of how important people in his life passed away is similar. i figured that could part of it as well.

Oh yea.. I'd forgotten about that. That makes it even more haunting.

Ubik wrote:I think both of those readings are great.

I might just be projecting myself into it but a lot of it screams "anxiety" to me, and when you suffer from that it feels like it's something built in that you can't escape from.

Yea, it's really the video and the concept of the album that led me to that conclusion. The "Like the ghost of death arrived and took my love too soon" line is the only line that's outspokenly about death, so it can be interpreted however you want I think. I definitely relate to your interpretation.
Image

User avatar
Macca
Greg
Posts: 12017
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:07 am
Location: JOCK land

Re: Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Postby Macca » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:20 am

I can't be the only one who thinks both songs we've heard so far have just been a bit...boring. Waited years for Myles to release a solo record and now that it's here the tracks released so far have completely killed any hype I had
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

Image

hackingislife
TABN.com Citizen
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:30 pm

Re: Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Postby hackingislife » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:04 am

Macca wrote:I can't be the only one who thinks both songs we've heard so far have just been a bit...boring. Waited years for Myles to release a solo record and now that it's here the tracks released so far have completely killed any hype I had


There's some incredible stuff in the works. Form what I could tell from the previews when they were still up, there's incredible variety. Personally, I already know I'm gonna love Nothing but a Name. I'm sure everyone will find some song they will fall in love with, because :mkrules

riemslag1
Loyal Follower
Posts: 316
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:02 am
Location: the Netherlands

Re: Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Postby riemslag1 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:57 am

To soon for any definite conclusion. Still anxious and unpatient to hear the whole album. Pre-ordered quite some versions CD/LP/box. Just hoping he did not kill the wrong album of the two. Still would like the first one to see the light of day too. Maybe one day.

User avatar
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle
Posts: 15904
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:52 am
Location: Belgium シ

Re: Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Postby Timotheus » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:14 am

Macca wrote:I can't be the only one who thinks both songs we've heard so far have just been a bit...boring. Waited years for Myles to release a solo record and now that it's here the tracks released so far have completely killed any hype I had

It helps for me to keep in mind that this isn't the solo album we've been waiting for all these years. This is almost like a different project in my head, which he put together really quickly.

Having heard the previews also helps, I guess, because I know there's a lot of quality material on this album.
Image

User avatar
Fish Tacos
Burn It Down
Posts: 2603
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:52 pm
Location: noʎ puᴉɥǝq ʇɥƃᴉɹ

Re: Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Postby Fish Tacos » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:18 pm

So is it just common practice now to release previews then oopsdidn'tmeanto and take them down again? I feel like this has happened several times now. The two songs I've heard so far have a pretty creative musical feel to them and make you want to bop your knee but I just haven't heard anything yet that makes me want to buy the album.
Image

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er
Posts: 780
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:03 am

Re: Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Postby BSC » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:18 am

Macca wrote:I can't be the only one who thinks both songs we've heard so far have just been a bit...boring. Waited years for Myles to release a solo record and now that it's here the tracks released so far have completely killed any hype I had


I agree. The songs that have been released and nice, pretty songs, but they simply aren't memorable or exciting. When I listen new songs, I ask myself 'can I go the rest of my life without listening to this song?' and the answer is yes to both of them. From what I've heard so far, this album reminds me of Ian Thornley's last solo album, it's a collection a nice evening-time songs, but ultimately there's nothing memorable on the album.

I can't say I'm particularly disappointed though, I didn't know what to expect with this album, especially as Myles said it would be very different. I would love for the album to have some MF4/Jeff Buckley type stuff but I don't see that happening. I remember when Apocalyptic Love came out, i expected it to be Appetite For Destruction part 2 with Myles on vocals, and was really gutted when I first listened to it. But, this time round I just don't have those expectations.

chtimixeur
On The Rail
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:15 am

Re: Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Postby chtimixeur » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:44 am

Fish Tacos wrote:So is it just common practice now to release previews then oopsdidn'tmeanto and take them down again? I feel like this has happened several times now. The two songs I've heard so far have a pretty creative musical feel to them and make you want to bop your knee but I just haven't heard anything yet that makes me want to buy the album.


It's an easy way to generate some early buzz. Fans feel like they've heard something that was not supposed to be released yet.

User avatar
welshsteve
Brand New Start
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:10 am

Re: Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Postby welshsteve » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:05 am

I've only heard Haunted By Design once so far. But Year Of The Tiger I think is a great song. It's been going round and round in my head off and on since I first heard it.

On a slightly different note, I saw a twitter post included in a Google search for Myles when searching to see if more tickets for his tour had been released, and it stated that pre-orders of the album would receive instant downloads of the 2 songs. Well I pre-ordered from Myles' own website and haven't had these so must be only through a specific site at specific times I guess. Never mind. I can stream them for now until I get the album.

As for the style of music the album appears to have, it's pretty much what I expected given Myles' influences.
Thanks

Steve

User avatar
Mr. Slash
On The Rail
Posts: 1015
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:40 am
Location: Germany

Re: Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Postby Mr. Slash » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:41 pm

Ubik wrote:I think both of those readings are great.

I might just be projecting myself into it but a lot of it screams "anxiety" to me, and when you suffer from that it feels like it's something built in that you can't escape from.

Yep. I gotta say, now that I digested the lyrics and the song overall, "Haunted By Design" actually feels like the soundtrack of my personal situation right now. Not that I have to deal with death right now, but the anxiety topic is quite fitting.

This album might be by far the most intimate piece of music Myles Kennedy wrote in a long time.

User avatar
TenaciousBe
On The Rail
Posts: 1337
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:04 pm
Location: North-Central Iowa, USA
Contact:

Re: Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Postby TenaciousBe » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:52 pm

2 notes on the lyrics:

1 - "Like the ghost of death arrived and took my love too soon" -- thinking this song is from his mom's perspective as well, the way Year of the Tiger is? Maybe the whole album will be from her POV?

2 - "Those who worry suffer twice" - somebody's been listening to Tremonti... :lol
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er
Posts: 550
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:00 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Postby Jaded Rescue » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:21 am

TenaciousBe wrote:2 - "Those who worry suffer twice" - somebody's been listening to Tremonti... :lol

This he must concede.

User avatar
BastiMix
Loyal Follower
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:59 am
Location: Near Munich, Germany

Re: Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Postby BastiMix » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:28 pm

Does anyone know the chords in the chorus? I can't figure them out for the life of it and the ones on Ultimate-Guitar sound strange.
Image



Please give them a like :)


Return to “Myles & Co”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests